The Saving results of the Death of Christ !

Hoping

Banned
There is nothing wrong with baptism or church-going, but those things are not essential to salvation.
Why not add repentance from sin to your list of God ordained non-essentials? (Acts 2:38, 22:16)
Why "turn from" sin if your old sins are going to follow you to the day of judgement?

Right Divider

Body part
I disagree, as there is no other instrument of baptism that simulates burial.
You are totally confused. I pity you.
One given/done by God, and one given/done by men.
Paul said ONE, and not one plus one.
Were do you suppose we are justified "in the name of Jesus Christ"?
Peter tells us in Acts 2:38..."Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost."
As the Spirit and water agree in one, according to 1 John 5:8, why try to separate them?
"And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one."
Peter was an apostle to Israel and not to the body of Christ.

marke

Why not add repentance from sin to your list of God ordained non-essentials? (Acts 2:38, 22:16)
Why "turn from" sin if your old sins are going to follow you to the day of judgement?
Repentance is an essential element of salvation, unlike the ordinances of baptism and communion.

Hoping

Banned
Repentance is an essential element of salvation, unlike the ordinances of baptism and communion.
Why one, but not the other part of Peter's first sermon to those visiting Jerusalem?
Acts 2:38..."Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost."

Communion?
Want to start a new thread?

marke

Why one, but not the other part of Peter's first sermon to those visiting Jerusalem?
Acts 2:38..."Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost."

Communion?
Want to start a new thread?
John came preaching to Jews, not Gentiles, to be baptized. Peter preached to Jews at Jerusalem, also preaching baptism in the name of Jesus. paul went to the Gentiles, discounting baptism and preaching the Gospel for salvation.

1 Corinthians 1:17
For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.

Derf

John came preaching to Jews, not Gentiles, to be baptized. Peter preached to Jews at Jerusalem, also preaching baptism in the name of Jesus. paul went to the Gentiles, discounting baptism and preaching the Gospel for salvation.

For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.
I agree that he downplayed baptism, but it was in light of an issue that had arisen among the Corinthians, where they were claiming some special status depending on who baptized them. He was stating that you can't just follow some steps and then claim to be the special people of God, especially if you were baptized by the more special people, like Cephas, Apollos, or Paul.

Here's why Paul was glad he hadn't baptized very many there (and notice that he wasn't glad they weren't baptized, but that he didn't perform the baptism):
1 Corinthians 1:15 KJV — Lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name.

It is an incorrect use of the passage to say he was dissuading people from getting baptized.

marke

I agree that he downplayed baptism, but it was in light of an issue that had arisen among the Corinthians, where they were claiming some special status depending on who baptized them. He was stating that you can't just follow some steps and then claim to be the special people of God, especially if you were baptized by the more special people, like Cephas, Apollos, or Paul.

Here's why Paul was glad he hadn't baptized very many there (and notice that he wasn't glad they weren't baptized, but that he didn't perform the baptism):
1 Corinthians 1:15 KJV — Lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name.

It is an incorrect use of the passage to say he was dissuading people from getting baptized.
The point I was trying to make is that I do not believe water baptism is a requisite for salvation.

Hoping

Banned

Paul water baptized plenty of folks, so your idea that he had "discounted" Jesus's command is not correct.

marke

Paul water baptized plenty of folks, so your idea that he had "discounted" Jesus's command is not correct.
Baptism is mentioned in Acts 2:38 in connection with repentance and salvation, and baptism was promoted by John the Baptist as a means for Jews to get right with God, but water baptism is never mentioned elsewhere in the NT as essential to salvation.

Right Divider

Body part
Baptism is mentioned in Acts 2:38
By one of the twelve apostles that will sit on twelve thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel. There is CONTEXT in scripture that most of Churchianity ignores. That is one of the reasons for such doctrinal confusion among the multitude of denominations.
in connection with repentance and salvation, and baptism was promoted by John the Baptist as a means for Jews to get right with God, but water baptism is never mentioned elsewhere in the NT as essential to salvation.
Yes, it does.

Mark 16:16 (AKJV/PCE)
(16:16) He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

marke

By one of the twelve apostles that will sit on twelve thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel. There is CONTEXT in scripture that most of Churchianity ignores. That is one of the reasons for such doctrinal confusion among the multitude of denominations.

Yes, it does.

Mark 16:16 (AKJV/PCE)
(16:16) He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
I do not agree that water baptism is essential to salvation.

Right Divider

Body part
I do not agree that water baptism is essential to salvation.
Again, without RIGHT DIVISION you will continue to lack understanding of the difference between Christ's ministry to and through the TWELVE apostles and Christ's ministry to and through the apostle Paul.

Is Mark 16:16 not clear enough for you? Is scripture just putty in your hands?

Hoping

Banned
Until God told Him not to.

1Cor 1:17 (AKJV/PCE)
(1:17) For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.
God didn't tell him "not to".
If He had, Paul wouldn't have baptized Crispus, Gaius, the household of Stephanas or the twelve at Ephesus.
In fact, Acts 18:8 says "many" at Corinth were baptized.
If you would rightly divide, you would not be so confused.
I am not confused at all.
Thanks be to God !

Hoping

Banned
Baptism is mentioned in Acts 2:38 in connection with repentance and salvation, and baptism was promoted by John the Baptist as a means for Jews to get right with God, but water baptism is never mentioned elsewhere in the NT as essential to salvation.
If you are happy to dwell in the "old man", continue as you have. (Rom 6:6, Gal 5:24)
I wasn't happy with it, so got baptized into Christ and into His death and burial, and was raised with Him to walk in newness of life.
That has allowed my repentance from sin to be true.

marke

If you are happy to dwell in the "old man", continue as you have. (Rom 6:6, Gal 5:24)
I wasn't happy with it, so got baptized into Christ and into His death and burial, and was raised with Him to walk in newness of life.
That has allowed my repentance from sin to be true.
What delivers a new Christian from the "old man?" Water baptism or Holy Spirit baptism?

Right Divider

Body part