ECT The Most Misunderstood Passage in the Bible--Romans 5:12-18

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Really? Romans 1:20 ... and Ecclesiastes 3:11

These verses pertain to natural law; creational laws.

No one is saved by these natural laws; but all are convicted by unbelief to the witness of God they provide.

Man is only saved by faith in the formal Law of God . . His spoken/written Word. Matthew 4:4

Theology .101

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned
How do you ever get that disproves what I said?

We are flesh and spirit. Some are more inclined towards their flesh and some are more spiritual.

The scripture you gave does not take away from the fact that we all have to be taught about God.

Ephesians 4:21 when you heard about Christ and were taught in him in accordance with the truth that is in Jesus.

How would I ever think that you would understand anything I say? Good point GT.

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned
These verses pertain to natural law; creational laws.

No one is saved by these natural laws; but all are convicted by unbelief to the witness of God they provide.

Man is only saved by faith in the formal Law of God . . His spoken/written Word. Matthew 4:4

Theology .101

Perhaps that's your issue. I'm all about Scripture 101.

God's Truth

How would I ever think that you would understand anything I say? Good point GT.

What have I said that was wrong? Think for yourself. Even an infant as innocent as it is still needs to be taught about who God is.
Even an infant is inclined towards negativity, feeling unloved, worrying, fearing...
When we become Christians, we are transformed into the likeness of Christ and we do that by obeying.
What does the Word say? The Word teaches us how to love and how not to worry and fear, how to do right in all circumstances.

glorydaz

If you are right then wouldn't we too have to eat of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil to experience guilt?

I think the tree of the knowledge of good and evil is representative of that moment when man is convicted of his sin when he eats thereof. That is the moment the conscience awakens. There was nothing special in the tree itself, other than it was forbidden fruit. We eat of the same tree when we first decide to choose evil over good (guilt). We eat of the tree of life when we obey the Gospel and believe. Both those trees are available to us today.

Just my thoughts, Jerry, and what makes sense to me. :)

glorydaz

You are denying the doctrine of original sin by the way you interpret Romans 5:12-21

Yes I have, by telling you to investigate traducianism in order to correct your view that the guilt of sin was not imputed to all Adam's seed.

It explains how all the offspring of Adam inherit his spiritual/physical corruption through procreation.

I''m quite sure everyone understands the doctrine. It's the truth of the doctrine that is being questioned.

God's Truth

I think the tree of the knowledge of good and evil is representative of that moment when man is convicted of his sin when he eats thereof. That is the moment the conscience awakens. There was nothing special in the tree itself, other than it was forbidden fruit. We eat of the same tree when we first decide to choose evil over good (guilt). We eat of the tree of life when we obey the Gospel and believe. Both those trees are available to us today.

Just my thoughts, Jerry, and what makes sense to me. :)

How about the tree of life is now what we eat when we come to Jesus to be saved?

What if that was the tree we were not to eat from but now to be saved we must?

There were two trees, the tree of knowledge of good and evil, and also the tree of life.

After Adam and Eve ate from the tree of knowledge of good and evil, they were not to eat from the tree of life and live forever.

Danoh

No Greek is going to help you understand the truth.

When you speak of being regenerated by the Holy Spirit, being born of the Holy Spirit---that is about having to be born of water and Spirit---that is about having to be born of water/washed by repenting of sins and cleaned by the Holy Spirit. That is when one is born again. They are born again, they have no sin and they now have the Holy Spirit living inside of them.

Actually, as with The English, The Greek and or The Hebrew ARE helpful - but only to the extent that they EACH is PROPERLY made use of.

Meaning, as with The English, MUCH MORE than merely running off to dictionaries for OVER RELIANCE ON ready made pick and choose definitions, IS involved.

God's Truth

Actually, as with The English, The Greek and or The Hebrew ARE helpful - but only to the extent that they EACH is PROPERLY made use of.

Meaning, as with The English, MUCH MORE than merely running off to dictionaries for OVER RELIANCE ON ready made pick and choose definitions, IS involved.

God gives understanding and it is not to those who learn another language.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I have said that Adam's sin was responsible for man's physical death. But all men die spiritually as a result of their own sin and not as a result of Adam's sin.

Keep reading. And re-read verse 12. Because of one man's actions, all are condemned. Physical death is not condemnation. Spiritual death is.

18 Therefore, as through one man’s offense judgment came to all men, resulting in condemnation, even so through one Man’s righteous act the free gift came to all men, resulting in justification of life.

glorydaz

Problem is, if the legal imputation of a death sentence upon the first Adam is denied, the biblical basis for the legal imputation of the last "Adam's" (Christ's) righteousness upon all His offspring, is destroyed.

Paul says it's not the same.

Romans 5:15 But not as the offence, so also is the free gift. For if through the offence of one many be dead, much more the grace of God, and the gift by grace, which is by one man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many.

Romans 5:16 And not as it was by one that sinned, so is the gift: for the judgment was by one to condemnation, but the free gift is of many offences unto justification.​

Danoh

The teaching of Romans 5:12-21 and I Corinthians 15:42-57 reveal the contrast between the two Adams and who is identified with both.

All humanity is the offspring of the first natural Adam, and all are corrupt.

All the offspring of the "heavenly" Adam are changed from corruptible unto immortality.

The offspring only inherit from the fathers who generate them. The sons of Adam inherit corruption and death. The sons of God inherit victory over death and gain everlasting life.

Your changing the subject of Romans 5, into a lesson in free-will sinning, destroys the message contained therein, that points the reader to Jesus Christ.

IOW's there is the Gospel message contained therein, and you are obfuscating it with your fallible views and unorthodox false teaching.

Agreed.

Great post :thumb:

But in this issue, the shoe is on the other foot, and it is you, this time around, who are rightly opposing the reasoning of this world (world of men, or mankind, John 1).

In this one, it is you who are rightly fighting against the "makes sense to me" "wisdom of this world" that far too many rely on, over "Nevertheless, what saith the Scripture?" Gal. 4:30.

Including you and I, in one area or another, at one point or another...also due to the fact of "one man's transgression" and "THE sin" that "entered the world" (of men, Rom. 5; John 1).

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned
Keep reading. And re-read verse 12. Because of one man's actions, all are condemned. Physical death is not condemnation. Spiritual death is.

18 Therefore, as through one man’s offense judgment came to all men, resulting in condemnation, even so through one Man’s righteous act the free gift came to all men, resulting in justification of life.

Indeed, but this is where the law is being imputed, or "the standards of God". We weren't held to the "standards of God", until we were beguiled into thinking we could "be like God". (Gen. 3:5) ... Imputation of Law is different than the overarching result of physical death. Note... (Heb. 2:14 ... in conjunction with Gn. 3:14, 19 ... bring this home) ... Had the matter been about obedience and Law from the Jump... Romans 7 wouldn't read as it reads. In other words... Jesus restored our "belief".

If I misunderstood your intention in referencing verse 12... please correct me.

Note... Jesus ensured we have eternal life through Him, though physical death remains until the end of this age. The matter of spiritual death is a result of the imputed Law that was the result of the serpents deception... visa vi... our attempt to (John 10:32f, 34 ... especially John 10:34 (edited in) ... and this echo's throughout scripture when God blasts teachers of the Law ... He calls them serpents... Mt. 23:33)

Jerry's point is to re-iterate the following scriptures that completely bury the doctrine of Augustine Original Sin...

Spoiler
"The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him." Ezekiel 18:20
"The fathers shall not be put to death for the children, neither shall the children be put to death for the fathers: every man shall be put to death for his own sin." Deuteronomy 24:16

"But he slew not their children, but did as it is written in the law in the book of Moses, where the Lord commanded, saying, The fathers shall not die for the children, neither shall the children die for the fathers, but every man shall die for his own sin." II Chronicles 25:4

"He shall not die for the iniquity of his father, he shall surely live. As for his father, because he cruelly oppressed, spoiled his brother by violence, and did that which is not good among his people, lo, even he shall die in his iniquity." Ezekiel 18:17-18

"The soul that sinneth, it shall die." Ezekiel 18:4

"I will judge…everyone according to his ways, saith the Lord God." Ezekiel 18:30

"That be far from thee to do after this manner, to slay the righteous with the wicked: and that the righteous should be as the wicked, that be far from thee: Shall not the Judge of all the earth do right?" Gen. 18:25

Note... Each of these verses exonerate free will and God's stance on it. We are viewed individually, and our soul is born spiritually alive. It is deeply implied in each of the verses.