The Heroic Gunslinger Fantasy

HisServant

Or, as the amendment actually suggests, local governments could actually regulate.

And the local governments do regulate militia in some instances... but the right to bear arms by the individual is NOT TO BE INFRINGED!

What is so hard to understand about that... the government is restrained by the constitution from infringing on ones right to own guns.

Regulation = infringement.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
And the local governments do regulate militia in some instances... but the right to bear arms by the individual is NOT TO BE INFRINGED!

What is so hard to understand about that... the government is restrained by the constitution from infringing on ones right to own guns.

Regulation = infringement.
You have already proven that you are for infringing peoples rights by regulating their ability to use a gun within you city's limits. Instead of infringing their rights by saying you can't use it, how about you infringe their rights by insisting that they know how and when to properly use it.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
Tom,
I am going to try treatment again, have already received the new medications. If they work this time, and I get to feeling better, I would like to join you, say next summer, or fall? I live close to Florida.

I would like to see how well I do alongside those half my age, it would be a hoot!:chuckle:

That sounds awesome! :D ...I would really enjoy that.

This is the place:

http://www.orlandoairsoft.net/combat-shooting-sports.html

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
I agree, the training should be more comprehensive, yet when you say, 'regardless of cost; then it will not not happen. Handgun safety should be the first concern, and is easiest to teach, since it is pedagogical.

It would be good to teach firearms use, and this is done well in Texas, where one is required to have so many hours of instruction on the range.

The police program, which is used for those who undertake dangerous duty, or, in some states, wish to make detective, is far more intense, and requires discriminant shooting at mock criminals where innocent persons are present. It also trains actual shooting with special rubber bullets, and many hours of this training, along with extended education, which is mandatory.

As I have stated, not all police officers have this training; DPS does not require it, as well, most patrol officers.
What cost are we willing to pay as a society? Are we willing to ask gun owners to pay to learn how and when to properly use their weapons if they want to carry in public? Or are we willing to pay the cost of collateral damage in the form of bystanders killed by "friendly fire"? There is a cost associated with using a gun that must be paid. In what currency do you wish to pay?

Granite

Hall of Fame
You have already proven that you are for infringing peoples rights by regulating their ability to use a gun within you city's limits. Instead of infringing their rights by saying you can't use it, how about you infringe their rights by insisting that they know how and when to properly use it.

If you don't think your neighbor should own this, are you sane or infringing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRh3AvFup8Y

HisServant

If you don't think your neighbor should own this, are you sane or infringing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRh3AvFup8Y

That would be a hoot to shoot....

I used to belong to a revolutionary war reenactment group and we would go out to a Chester County to a farm that had an artillary range and shoot live rounds out of our 9 and 6 pound cannons a couple times a year. (live in that the cannon balls were real.. but did not explode). We kept one of the cannon in my garage for a while.. FYI.

Quite the experience and it gave one a better appreciation of how inaccurate they were and what the soldiers went through back then.

Even this would be a hoot... but I think it might break my shoulder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcEvBwMKZ9s

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
Great! I read where they make the FX on 9mm and 38, I will have to borrow a 9MM. I think my son has a Beretta.

As to the 223, if that is required, I will have to rent one. Sold my mini 14 some years back. Never had an AR

PS.I marked the page

:chuckle: I'm still totin' around a .38 J-frame Smith so it should be right up my alley.

I've never been a big AR fan myself. Given my druthers (in 5.56 anyway) I'd rather have the mini. :think:

....Or an AK. ;)

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
What cost are we willing to pay as a society? Are we willing to ask gun owners to pay to learn how and when to properly use their weapons if they want to carry in public? Or are we willing to pay the cost of collateral damage in the form of bystanders killed by "friendly fire"? There is a cost associated with using a gun that must be paid. In what currency do you wish to pay?

I think it is a moot point.

I would go further than most, and have done so, many times, as well, taught.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
:chuckle: I'm still totin' around a .38 J-frame Smith so it should be right up my alley.

I've never been a big AR fan myself. Given my druthers (in 5.56 anyway) I'd rather have the mini. :think:

....Or an AK. ;)

I have a S&W 686, I think is the model number? It is the 6" stainless, six shooter. Great for home defense, but a bit awkward for fast fire.

My CC is a Glock, 45 ACP, it's a handful, although I believe if you aint gotim with the first round, you messed up.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
I have a S&W 686, I think is the model number? It is the 6" stainless, six shooter. Great for home defense, but a bit awkward for fast fire.

I've got a Model 638...It's the Airweight version of the old "Bodyguard" shrouded hammer style.

My CC is a Glock, 45 ACP, it's a handful, although I believe if you aint gotim with the first round, you messed up.

:think: I don't like to carry striker-fired weapons (No real reason...Just my own "phobias".). I've got an M&P .40 Smith but I only use it for home defense. It's in a lock box and is the wife's "go-to" gun. When I do carry auto's I tend to gravitate to SA/DA....I'm particularly fond of Sig's....and 'specially fond of the Sig P220.
I swear, I shoot that gun better than any other handgun I have ever owned. It's a shame it's such a big gun. :sigh:

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
Seems entierly reasonable to me!

Seems entierly reasonable to me!

398572_307872789330648_836969687_n.jpg

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
That's because you ditched your brain a long time ago.

Guns aren't cars. Regulating them in the same fashion is senseless; a plain attempt to ignore the fact that regulations are part of the problem.
Why do you think a right comes without responsibility or obligation?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Guns aren't cars. Regulating them in the same fashion is senseless
I'm not on board with all of it, but how is it senseless to mandate a course in the safe use of a potentially lethal instrument? In fact, I'd argue that a safe and proficient use aids everyone, making the user less likely to do something foolish and hurt someone who doesn't need it.

In that light, training, certification and renewal make perfect sense to me.

I wasn't allowed to go off with a gun until my grandfather had taught me everything from essential safety and maintenance of my weapon to a proficiency in shooting and even then he was with me for extended periods, observing me over time while he taught me to track and field dress, etc. I think he did that as much to see how ingrained the earlier lessons were, how likely I would be to keep them almost as a product of muscle memory, when I was distracted by other process.

Someone taught that level of respect for his weapon and its use is almost never going to be the problem, though he might be part of the solution.

a plain attempt to ignore the fact that regulations are part of the problem.
It's an interesting starting point. Which regulations? Do you mean gun free zones and the like? I'm not a fan of that end of it. Registration? To me that's a good thing. Especially if you have your weapon stolen, for liability purposes. Else, what specific regulations are you in opposition to and in what specific way do you find them problematic/harmful?

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Rights do not come without responsibility. I have the right to free speech. I do not have the right to yell fire in a crowded theater.
Bad analogy. Could you find a better one? I don't think you can. Here is why your analogy doesn't work:
"Furthermore, couching the analysis in terms of a "right to free speech" instead of property rights leads to confusion and the weakening of the very concept of rights. The most famous example is Justice Holmes's contention that no one has the right to shout "Fire" falsely in a crowded theater, and therefore that the right to freedom of speech cannot be absolute, but must be weakened and tempered by considerations of "public policy."3 And yet, if we analyze the problem in terms of property rights we will see that no weakening of the absoluteness of rights is necessary.4

For, logically, the shouter is either a patron or the theater owner. If he is the theater owner, he is violating the property rights of the patrons in quiet enjoyment of the performance, for which he took their money in the first place. If he is another patron, then he is violating both the property right of the patrons to watching the performance and the property right of the owner, for he is violating the terms of his being there. For those terms surely include not violating the owner's property by disrupting the performance he is putting on. In either case, he may be prosecuted as a violator of property rights; therefore, when we concentrate on the property rights involved, we see that the Holmes case implies no need for the law to weaken the absolute nature of rights." - Rothbard

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I've got a Model 638...It's the Airweight version of the old "Bodyguard" shrouded hammer style.

:think: I don't like to carry striker-fired weapons (No real reason...Just my own "phobias".). I've got an M&P .40 Smith but I only use it for home defense. It's in a lock box and is the wife's "go-to" gun. When I do carry auto's I tend to gravitate to SA/DA....I'm particularly fond of Sig's....and 'specially fond of the Sig P220.
I swear, I shoot that gun better than any other handgun I have ever owned. It's a shame it's such a big gun. :sigh:

I think a old woman is better with a 45 ACP because she has little chance to defend herself against a big strong man. The S&W 40 would be my second choice. When I was 20 years younger and not ill, it was a different story.

I know what you mean with striker-fired weapons, me too , in a way, five beans is a wheel, and that:chuckle:

Sig P220 is the best, my husband used to carry one. He also had one like you mentioned, the concealed trigger 38SP. He also had a Glock 23, which I gave to my daughter.

It would be great if this treatment worked and I could go and give it a try :)

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
I think a old woman is better with a 45 ACP because she has little chance to defend herself against a big strong man. The S&W 40 would be my second choice. When I was 20 years younger and not ill, it was a different story.

I know what you mean with striker-fired weapons, me too , in a way, five beans is a wheel, and that:chuckle:

Sig P220 is the best, my husband used to carry one. He also had one like you mentioned, the concealed trigger 38SP. He also had a Glock 23, which I gave to my daughter.

It would be great if this treatment worked and I could go and give it a try :)

Well I'm gonna be praying for you and our chance to go up there together and "clean house". ;)