Tattoos

Tattoos

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

glorydaz

This thread has reminded me of a movie....The Illustrated Man with Rod Steiger. Anyone remember it? It was a great movie.

Personally, I don't like tattoos, but even some of my most favorite people have them. One of my sons-in-law is loaded with them. When he takes off his shirt I just shake my head, and look at the cute grand babies he's given me instead. ;)

zoo22

This thread has reminded me of a movie....The Illustrated Man with Rod Steiger. Anyone remember it? It was a great movie.

Yeah. It was a book of short stories by Ray Bradbury. There was supposedly a new film version in the works but there hasn't been a peep about it for a while.

glorydaz

Yeah. It was a book of short stories by Ray Bradbury. There was supposedly a new film version in the works but there hasn't been a peep about it for a while.

A book? Cool. The movie had several short stories...each coming from a particular tattoo. Most, if I remember correctly, were in the future....one a space ship stranded....one when the world was about to end, and the people killed their kids to spare them (but the world didn't end after all). Pretty trippy...back when I was a hippy. :chuckle:

zoo22

A book? Cool. The movie had several short stories...each coming from a particular tattoo. Most, if I remember correctly, were in the future....one a space ship stranded....one when the world was about to end, and the people killed their kids to spare them (but the world didn't end after all). Pretty trippy...back when I was a hippy. :chuckle:

Yeah the tattoos told Ray Bradbury stories. Some of the stories from the book were adapted other places. I have it somewhere, in a box. Old paperback with a great cover.

zoo22

:singer:
Seriously? I didn't know that.

Neither did musterion.

It's pretty recent. Women are more likely than men to have a tattoo. And it's not by a particularly small margin: 60/40.

There's a huge difference in perception towards women with tattoos as opposed to men with tattoos. It's lame. With men, whether people like tattoos or not, they're typically regarded as a sort of rite of passage. With women, people typically reduce tattoos to terms of sexuality or attractiveness. "Tramp stamp." Just look through this thread. A soldier "earned" their tattoo, but for a woman it's nothing about what story might be behind the tattoo, rather it's about how it impacts how pretty she is or her "purity?" I think my friend probably thinks she "earned" the tattoos she has of her children's names, and I think her 20-year marriage speaks just fine for her "purity."

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Neither did musterion.

It's pretty recent. Women are more likely than men to have a tattoo. And it's not by a particularly small margin: 60/40.

There's a huge difference in perception towards women with tattoos as opposed to men with tattoos. It's lame. With men, whether people like tattoos or not, they're typically regarded as a sort of rite of passage. With women, people typically reduce tattoos to terms of sexuality or attractiveness. "Tramp stamp." Just look through this thread. A soldier "earned" their tattoo, but for a woman it's nothing about what story might be behind the tattoo, rather it's about how it impacts how pretty she is or her "purity?" I think my friend probably thinks she "earned" the tattoos she has of her children's names, and I think her 20-year marriage speaks just fine for her "purity."

Well, you know, We've Come A Long Way, Baby!

http://171.67.24.121/tobacco_web/im...rettes/virginia_slims/large/vslims_13a_19.jpg

Arthur Brain

Neither did musterion.

Quite. I saw a beautiful woman recently with an artistically done tattoo saying "I'm scared to be scarred" and some here would say she's already scarred herself but I wouldn't. This 'tramp stamp' nonsense is born out of the same holier than thou nonsense. The same probably think that dying your hair blonde pigeonholes you into a sanctimonious little box.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame

Neither did musterion.

Well not old Kat, I’m not surprised. Women are far more minded by body trappings than men. Women will have more earrings, are more likely to have moderate piercings. Once tattoos were no longer associated with the ‘sailor’ mentality, they would take on a fashion role.

I do not like them, although I get not many women my age like them, even liberal women. It was too much associated with the old mentality for too long for my generation.

I do not think a small butterfly would be offensive, as long as it was not on your face.