Tattoos

Tattoos

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MrDeets

TOL Subscriber
Well spoken query, sir.

God prohibited such practices to Israel because they were what pagan societies around them were doing, usually in honor of their various idols (demons). Some say that's reason enough to avoid tattoos.

But...is the Church, the Body of Christ, Israel? No. Does the Law of Moses apply to the Body of Christ? No. Were Gentiles ever in Moses' mind when he was giving forth God's commandments? No, only his own people. That is why I said I do not agree verbatim with the person citing the O.T., only in principle...and that principle is not the Law's prohibition itself but God's reason behind it: that tattoos were (and I believe still are) a pagan practice.

Still...would I be free in Christ do so if I wanted? Would it be a matter of conscience? I suppose I would, since I see nothing mentioned about such self-markings in the N.T. But I would not do so (even if part of me wanted to) because, as I said, I consider it a heathenish thing to do that would not honor the temple of the Holy Spirit, which I am.

I don't know if that answers your question but it's the only answer I have.
It does, as well as I expected. Do you also avoid shellfish, and wearing clothing that is of mixed fabrics? I realize you said that Christ did set you free from the OT laws, so this isn't an attack, but rather genuine curiosity. I absolutely can see where as a christian, one feels compelled to separate themselves from unbelievers by physical appearance, by the way.

Btw, I'm really curious how you arrived at atheism. Have you posted about it somewhere I can read it?

I've been considering making a post about it. I haven't posted much in the last year and a half because of the changes I've been going through. Right now I'm just taking the temperature on TOL and trying to decide if I wish to put all my stuff out there. :)

musterion

Do you also avoid shellfish, and wearing clothing that is of mixed fabrics? I realize you said that Christ did set you free from the OT laws, so this isn't an attack, but rather genuine curiosity.

The answer to your new question is the same as what I just posted. Sorry, Deets, but the communication problem here is not on my end.

I absolutely can see where as a christian, one feels compelled to separate themselves from unbelievers by physical appearance, by the way.
It's not about mere physical appearance. That is (or should be) a minor consideration at best.

Now I'm really curious about what brand of theist you were because there's a LOT of prior knowledge of these matters I wrongly assumed you'd have. Not an insult, just an observation.

I've been considering making a post about it. I haven't posted much in the last year and a half because of the changes I've been going through. Right now I'm just taking the temperature on TOL and trying to decide if I wish to put all my stuff out there. :)
I encourage you to do it. I guarantee we've dealt with much worse lately. Worst thing that can happen is we'll pick it apart and Res will laugh at you.

MrDeets

TOL Subscriber
The answer to your new question is the same as what I just posted. Sorry, Deets, but the communication problem here is not on my end.
So then you do avoid all of those things, but you know you don't have to. Thats what I figured.

Now I'm really curious about what brand of theist you were because there's a LOT of prior knowledge of these matters I wrongly assumed you'd have. Not an insult, just an observation.
I was a mid acts dispy. At least for the last year and a half or so...

I encourage you to do it. I guarantee we've dealt with much worse lately. Worst thing that can happen is we'll pick it apart and Res will laugh at you.
Let me rephrase, as it seems I wasn't clear enough. I'm taking the temperature because I'm a fairly private person, and I'm not sure if many of you are worth the time and heartache of sharing all the details of my deconversion. I will respond to PMs from those here I care about, and to those who I believe knew me well enough to listen and think rather than just pick things apart.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Let me rephrase, as it seems I wasn't clear enough. I'm taking the temperature because I'm a fairly private person, and I'm not sure if many of you are worth the time and heartache of sharing all the details of my deconversion. I will respond to PMs from those here I care about, and to those who I believe knew me well enough to listen and think rather than just pick things apart.
You can talk to me about it anytime. I'll be here for ya.

musterion

So then you do avoid all of those things, but you know you don't have to. Thats what I figured.

Then you figure wrong. Again. I love shrimp and crab but not lobster. I own poly/cotton shirts. I don't carry a dung paddle around with me. You're still not getting the point: you're doggedly, clumsily trying to pigeonhole me with your newly adopted atheo-tropes. They seem fresh and compelling to you but let me assure you, they're quite stale so they're not working. So just take a step back...breathe...and relax for a moment.

I was a mid acts dispy. At least for the last year and a half or so...
Interesting. Did you take your last gasp as a believer here on TOL, in full view of your ex-brethren? Were they gathered around your virtual bedside as you passed away? Or did you go over to in private and suddenly reappeared here as a born again atheist?

Let me rephrase, as it seems I wasn't clear enough. I'm taking the temperature because I'm a fairly private person,
You're one of three people on TOL who I can recall posting a clear picture of himself and saying "That's me." That's private?

and I'm not sure if many of you are worth thote]e time and heartache of sharing all the details of my deconversion.
Sorry we don't measure up to your preconceived, prejudged standards.

I will respond to PMs from those here I care about, and to those who I believe knew me well enough to listen and think rather than just pick things apart.
First, you ARE an atheist who used to think he was one of us. What would you expect us to do?

Second (and more to the point), if you can't stand publicly on the courage of your newfound convictions, that's your call. I can't say I blame you. You know us. ;)

MrDeets

TOL Subscriber
Then you figure wrong. Again. I love shrimp and crab but not lobster. I own poly/cotton shirts. I don't carry a dung paddle around with me. You're still not getting the point: you're doggedly, clumsily trying to pigeonhole me with your newly adopted atheo-tropes. They seem fresh and compelling to you but let me assure you, they're quite stale so they're not working. So just take a step back...breathe...and relax for a moment.
I wasn't trying to pigeon hole any one. I can tell you are definitely not someone who I would share much of anything with. YOU, and your snobby self righteous attitude are so very reminiscent of the types of attitudes that drove me away from TOL some time ago...

Interesting. Did you take your last gasp as a believer here on TOL, in full view of your ex-brethren? Were they gathered around your virtual bedside as you passed away? Or did you go over to in private and suddenly reappeared here as a born again atheist?
There were several friends here that I spoke to on numerous occasions.

You're one of three people on TOL who I can recall posting a clear picture of himself and saying "That's me." That's private?
And what exactly do you know about my private life because of that photo? You ought to check some of the threads here devoted to photos of folks- theres some with beards, there are some with kids... look around a bit, you might enjoy it. Wait... obviously you already know all you need to know or you wouldn't be such a curmudgeon.

Sorry we don't measure up to your preconceived, prejudged standards.
You don't. Thats for damn sure...

First, you ARE an atheist who used to think he was one of us. What would you expect us to do?
WAS one of you. I don't need to explain a thing to someone who's been here less than a quarter of the time that I've been posting.l

Second (and more to the point), if you can't stand publicly on the courage of your newfound convictions, that's your call. I can't say I blame you. You know us.
That has nothing to do with why I won't share publicly about my deconversion. I'm fine being questioned on my convictions, I just don't care to share details of the things I've been through with people like you. As christ like as you may fancy yourself and all...:plain:

musterion

I wasn't trying to pigeon hole any one. I can tell you are definitely not someone who I would share much of anything with. YOU, and your snobby self righteous attitude are so very reminiscent of the types of attitudes that drove me away from TOL some time ago...

I'm just asking questions. How'd you handle so many tats with such thin skin? :(

And what exactly do you know about my private life because of that photo?
Who said anything about judging you from it? I was just pointing out it doesn't strike me as what someone particularly private (as I am) would do. But whatever...it's your pic.

You ought to check some of the threads here devoted to photos of folks- theres some with beards, there are some with kids... look around a bit, you might enjoy it. Wait... obviously you already know all you need to know or you wouldn't be such a curmudgeon.
I am a curmudgeon but for all the best reasons. And I've had a beard at several points in my life (goatee at the moment), I've got two kids, and I have several oatmeal stouts and porters in my mini-fridge. I enjoy one per weekend. Cannot STAND hops.

Any other areas about me you want to prejudge, J.A.?

You don't. Thats for damn sure...
Thanks for prejudging me. Very tolerant of you. Very atheistic.

WAS one of you.
No.

I don't need to explain a thing to someone who's been here less than a quarter of the time that I've been posting.
You're right. You don't need to explain thing one to me. I ask questions, you don't want to answer, that's that.

That has nothing to do with why I won't share publicly about my deconversion. I'm fine being questioned on my convictions, I just don't care to share details of the things I've been through with people like you. As christ like as you may fancy yourself and all...:plain:
I'll tell you this right now, pal: If you somehow blame Christians (NONE of whom are perfect people, admittedly) for making you turn atheist, then you NEVER...EVER was truly one of us and had no true concept of who Christ is or what a believer is.

Respond or don't, I'm content either way.

MrDeets

TOL Subscriber
I'm just asking questions. How'd you handle so many tats with such thin skin? :(
:chuckle: Magic

Who said anything about judging you from it? I was just pointing out it doesn't strike me as what someone particularly private (as I am) would do. But whatever...it's your pic.
My point was that I can post a picture and still be private about my life... I didn't say anything about judging me from that photo. As a matter of fact it seems like you're the one who keeps using that nasty "judging" word.

I am a curmudgeon but for all the best reasons. And I've had a beard at several points in my life (goatee at the moment), I've got two kids, and I have several oatmeal stouts and porters in my mini-fridge. I enjoy one per weekend. Cannot STAND hops.
I'm an IPA kinda feller myself. Looks like there's yet another thing we won't enjoy together.

Thanks for prejudging(there it is again) me. Very tolerant of you. Very atheistic.
:up: I measure you as a person(judge* if you like) by the way you speak to people, particularly me. By that, I know for sure that you are not the type of person deserving of my respect or my confidence. Not that you were asking for it, but there you go. How is that prejudging? Can we not judge(**gasp**) someone by the way they choose to speak to another person?

Duly noted...

I'll tell you this right now, pal: If you somehow blame Christians (NONE of whom are perfect people, admittedly) for making you turn atheist, then you NEVER...EVER was truly one of us and had no true concept of who Christ is or what a believer is.
Not at all, pal. I know christians are just as guilty of being jerks as atheists, or muslims. I've never been the type of person to think otherwise. PEOPLE are jerks. Some more than others.

:up:

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

You really need to shut up about this.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Like most people, I think some are good and some aren't. I went ahead and answered "yes" because my wife has 6 or 7 tattoos and she's smokin' hot.

I can't argue with that logic. I'm happy for you that wife gets your motor running.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Heir- I'm not that young, dern it! I just turned 33!! :mad: :chuckle:
Still younger than me, kid.

I've got a big ole Jesus on my calf, and I feel the same way. Very well put.
You do know that such representations of Jesus are not what Jesus looked like, right?

It's personal taste. I'd ask those people if they find identical eye shadow as attractive on men as they do on women.
I don't find anything on men attractive, but I am repulsed when men wear womanly things.

I do also have big 3/4" wood plugs in my earlobes. Does anyone have an opinion of that?
Yes. It looks stupid.

The holes won't close, but they would shrink a lot.
And that's why it looks stupid.