ECT SALVATION: OLD TESTAMENT VS NEW

Cross Reference

I never presume to "mark out a path" to salvation. I will be the last one to give you a list of things to do to get saved. By God's grace we are saved. We are saved today by grace and if we continue till death then forever after death. If God didn't have grace we could turn to him and it would do no good. His grace saves us. Our response to him is simply what he expects from us. Call it works if you want but it's not the works based salvation Paul came against when he said "we are saved by faith and not by works lest any man should boast." You seem to want to eliminate works from our salvation, which of course makes it hard to "work out your salvation with fear and trembling before the Lord." Let's not remove either works or grace as a part of that life-long process of salvation that begins the day we are saved. We just need to remove working in order to get saved. We should not be asking, "What must I do to get saved?" (though Jesus did answer that and did say love God and love neighbor), we should be asking, "Now that I have turned to God (repented), what can I do to be what God wants me to be?" The turning to God is really quite easy and available to all who hear it and the invitation all the more inviting knowing that the Kingdom of Heaven is here now and provides righteousness, peace, and joy in the Holy Spirit. It should no longer be a slavish "what MUST I do to be saved," but a grace and power-filled "How much closer to God can he get me as I walk this walk of salvation?" even when the steps are difficult due to the reality of the life we live. Does that make sense? If you view salvation only as a legal position or acquittal then you might not be enjoying the joy of salvation as God washes your sin every day and helps you to rise up and walk in newness of life. Taste and see that the Lord is good.

"Now that I have turned to God (repented), what can I do to be what God wants me to be?"

Die to self. That is the "works of God" for every man new born from above. That is the cross we must pick up every morning. Dying to self is the beginning of our journey on the agape road that leads us home to Father's House. When you cross the "deathline" you will find Jesus as being the Alpha and Omega of your journey. He must lead the way and it is not a way of presumption or "lawlessness" in Him where we are allowed to do our own 'spiritual' thing in His name and believe it is OK. Jesus said, "I only do what I see My Father doing". We are given to do no differently. If you are willing, this should give you better understanding of John 17:3.

Cross Reference

Living it...

How 'bout you?

Living is a lot of work...

Struggle against sin...

Overcoming powers and principalities...

Falling down...

Getting back up...

Suffering temptations...

How 'bout you?

Arsenios

How can one even begin to do that without being born again? And then how can one do it without the power of Pentecost in his life?

Cross Reference

Concentrated Centring on God

(Romans 8:3)

"If we would concentrate on God we must mortify our religious self-will. Our Lord refused to be self-willed religiously, and it was this that staggered the Pharisees. We are self-willed religiously, consequently we tell God we do not intend to concentrate on Him, we only intend to concentrate on our idea of what the saintly life should be, and before long we find that the pressing in of the life of God ceases and we begin to wilt. We are living a religiously self-centred life and the communication of life from God comes no longer. We must beware of turning away from God by grubbing amongst our own experiences.

God does not expect us to imitate Jesus Christ: He expects us to allow the life of Jesus to be manifested in our mortal flesh. God engineers circumstances and brings us into difficult places where no one can help us, and we can either manifest the life of Jesus in those conditions, or else be cowards and say, “I cannot exhibit the life of God there.” Then we deprive God of glory. If you will let the life of God be manifested in your particular human edition—where God cannot manifest it, that is why He called you, you will bring glory to God.

The spiritual life of a worker is literally, God manifest in the flesh."

. . . . .Oswald Chambers, "Approved Unto God"

Cross Reference

how are you born again?

By faith with the evidence of it being a compelling need for the knowing of God by Jesus Christ and the eradication of all indifference in the matter. __ "to be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, [or church membership] but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:

That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death"
Philippians 3:9-10 (KJV)

You will know if and when that happens.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
By faith with the evidence of it being a compelling need for the knowing of God by Jesus Christ and the eradication of all indifference in the matter. __ "to be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, [or church membership] but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:

That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death"
Philippians 3:9-10 (KJV)

You will know if and when that happens.

how will I know it?

is that the only passage you have that convinces you that you are born again?

Cross Reference

how will I know it?

is that the only passage you have that convinces you that you are born again?

Here is an excellent answer:

"Immediately a man becomes spiritual by being born from above, the Bible becomes his authority, because he discerns a law in his conscience that has no objective resting place save in the Bible; and when the Bible is quoted, instantly his intuition says, “Yes, that must be the truth”; not because the Bible says so, but because he discerns what the Bible says to be the word of God for him. When a man is born from above he has a new internal standard, and the only objective standard that agrees with it is the word of God as expressed in the Bible." . . .Oswald Chambers

Do you understand??

chrysostom

Hall of Fame

"Immediately a man becomes spiritual by being born from above, the Bible becomes his authority, because he discerns a law in his conscience that has no objective resting place save in the Bible; and when the Bible is quoted, instantly his intuition says, “Yes, that must be the truth”; not because the Bible says so, but because he discerns what the Bible says to be the word of God for him. When a man is born from above he has a new internal standard, and the only objective standard that agrees with it is the word of God as expressed in the Bible." . . .Oswald Chambers

so why didn't Jesus say

on this rock I will build my bible

Cross Reference

so why didn't Jesus say

on this rock I will build my bible
Because the Bible can't save you. It can only point you in the right direction and you will know that direction it speaks of if it is God who is doing the revealing, it being a heart issue and not of the head.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
What is the church but the Body of Christ. Ergo, not Peter. Peter and the others eventually only belong to it. The founding of it was by Jesus Christ who used the words of Peter to express what it was to founded upon.. see it now?

why did Jesus ask peter to feed His sheep?

TFTn5280

Pretty much - Hades willingly received Him because He died, which is the key element of the deception of the deceiver... So that by the greed for souls which Hades exercised, Christ entered by consent, and then was Hades despoiled...

The language of Paul is crucial, for he tells us with great precision the relationship of sin and death in the world:

Rom_5:12
Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world,
and death by sin;
and so death passed upon all men,
for which [death] all have sinned:

So that Adam's sin brought death, as God had warned, and death was then passed on to all of Adam's progeny... We do not inherit sin, or even a sin nature, as some like to say... We inherit DEATH... And it is our inheritance of death that is the reason for our sinning...

So that Christ as a dead man was able to overcome death in Hades because He had never sinned, and the world had nothing in him... He had to put off from himself His spirit in order to separate His soul from His body... The cross did not kill Him... And that paid for His ticket into hades...

Indeed, Christ's entire incarnation can be seen as a clandestine operation into enemy territory, including His flight to Egypt...

For us in Christ, we have to battle our sins... Christ battled and destroyed death in Himself, so that we in Him CAN overcome our sins... Which the Circumcision could not do under Levitical Law... With the exception of the Prophets sent by God...

So yes! We chant this Troparion on Pascha:

Christ is Risen...
From the Dead...
Trampling down Death...
By Death...
And upon those in the tombs...
Bestowing Life!

This is the great triumphal song of the Resurrection...

You can hear it sung all over the world here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SynvdFT-rqU

Arsenios

Death being the only enemy, why then did he not just die as a baby?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Death being the only enemy, why then did he not just die as a baby? (Hang with me, my friend. I am going somewhere with this.)

good question

I am anxious to see how arsenious answers it
if
he can do it with a short post