Salvation: A Free Gift From God, or an Imposition?

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
God could save anyone He so desired to save unless He is not really an omnipotent. Try to not ascribe impotence to God.

It's not a question of God's power. It's a question of God's righteousness. Christ died for ALL men, that they should be delivered from darkness. God wants to save all men. He desires that all should come to Him. But not all do. In fact, wide is the path and many are on it that leads to destruction, but narrow is the way and few are on it that leads to eternal life. God cannot allow someone to enter heaven and give them a new body if they never repented of their sins in this life. He cannot allow sin to enter into His presence.

Also, it's not God's choice to make, who to save and who not to save. It is the choice of the individual.

If you find a Calvinist stating that God saves someone who does not want to be saved, point them in my direction.

Nang, Nanja, Truster, and B57, for starters.

Even you.

You (as a group) all say that God regenerates those who hate Him, and afterwards, they love Him. The very core of your doctrine states that God saves those who don't want to be saved.

When God regenerates a non-believer (Eze. 36:26), that person will most assuredly want to be saved and will be saved and never become not saved. Regeneration is wholly monergistic. God's work alone. The act of faith following the instant off regeneration is synergistic. God is not doing the believing for the regenerated person.

Please try to not inform Calvinists of what they believe. Try asking them first or at least read what they believe is an accurate summary of the teachings of Scripture: WCF and its exposition WCFe. Quote it. Restate it in your own words. Then you will be on your way towards fruitful discussion with those you assume to know what they believe.

AMR

Is that not what I have done in the past? Ask questions of what Calvinists believe? I have asked B57, Nang, Nanja, and Truster, many times what they believe, they simply refuse to answer me.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Asked and Answered

Asked and Answered

It's not a question of God's power. It's a question of God's righteousness. Christ died for ALL men, that they should be delivered from darkness. God wants to save all men. He desires that all should come to Him. But not all do.
God has no unfulfilled desires, else He is not God. What God wants, God gets. That Scripture accommodates human finitude in language we can understand is not a warrant to assume in error. Obviously if God wants something and it does not happen, then God really, really, did not want it to happen, for He is not impotent. Try not to elevate righteousness as something more important than all of God's attributes, for they all inhere one another. God is His attributes. All of them.

Hence these sort of wants of God spoken of in Scripture must mean something other than your common assumption. God must want something far greater than what it is stated. Not all are saved. All would be saved if God genuinely wanted it to be so. A parent often allows the child to do something the parent knows will be harmful to a child. Ultimately the child learns the lesson, say, touching the hot pot. Obviously the parent's wants are distinguishable. On the one hand, the parent wants the child to behave properly, on the other hand the parent wants the child to learn the lesson of bad behavior. Both are properly described as wants, but the parent's true want is not going to be unfulfilled.

Similarly, God wants in the prescriptive sense. He commands this or that, the prescriptions for proper living. These commands are regularly disobeyed. But God also wants in the decretive sense. He decrees this or that. That so decreed is never not unfulfilled, else God is not God. Hence, we can think of God's will in several senses as seen in Scripture. There is the will of desire, or the will of decree. It is not that God is double-minded, like us finite creatures, only that we need to understand how God's will is spoken of within Scripture.

In fact, wide is the path and many are on it that leads to destruction, but narrow is the way and few are on it that leads to eternal life.
No. You do not understand the passage you allude to here. This is a common error. See:
http://theologyonline.com/showthread.php?113575-OSAS&p=4485652&viewfull=1#post4485652

Also, it's not God's choice to make, who to save and who not to save. It is the choice of the individual.
God is not a debtor to man, repaying man for his wise choices, giving him reasons to boast, as in:
“Lord, I thank thee that I am not like these poor, presumptuous Calvinists. Lord, I was born with a glorious free will; I was born with a power by which I can turn to thee of myself; I have improved my grace. If everybody had done the same with their grace as I have, they might all have been saved. Lord, I know that thou dost not make us willing if we are not willing ourselves… it was not thy grace that made us differ… I made use of what was given me, and others did not—that is the difference between me and them.”
Src: Spurgeon, Sermon on John 5:40 “Free Will a Slave” The New Park Street Pulpit, 1855- 1856, Volumes I & II (Pilgrim 1975), 395-402.

You (as a group) all say that God regenerates those who hate Him, and afterwards, they love Him. The very core of your doctrine states that God saves those who don't want to be saved.
You want to claim the righteousness of God, yet deny Him mercy of giving what no one deserves? Odd. Yes, there is no dispute that the non-believer hates God, for all are born sinners, and sin because they are sinners. All in Adam are quite morally dead. Unable to choose wisely, able to not not sin. That is not the original state in which man was created. The first man was created upright, mutable, inclined only to the good. The act of regeneration restores man to a semblance of that original state. God's act of regeneration makes man's moral constitution aright once again.

The plain fact is that all deserve only God's justice, not His mercy. Justice is getting what you deserve. Mercy is getting what you do not. Your view robs God of mercy entirely for you have a defective understanding of the state of all who are fallen in Adam. You see fallen man as just wounded, retaining some seed of goodness, that allows them to choose wisely. Yet, their neighbors who have this very same same seed of righteousness, choose badly. The only conclusion then is that there is something special about you over your neighbor. Is this really how you see yourself in distinction from your neighbor? Think about it. Scripture knows nothing of this sort of arrogance.

Is that not what I have done in the past? Ask questions of what Calvinists believe? I have asked B57, Nang, Nanja, and Truster, many times what they believe, they simply refuse to answer me.
No. What you are doing is claiming we operate from the same presuppositions you do and therefore believe about our beliefs what you believe about our beliefs. This leaves no hope for honest discussion. You are just not asking questions rightly. I know of no Calvinist who refuses to answer sincere questions. Unfortunately, most of the time questions are asked with hidden agendas and odious motives that result in toadying to the crowd. No one need be obliged to participate in the sins of others.

Nanja and b57 are hyper-Calvinists, a heretical group, so any answer coming from them is no answer at all. Truster has not claimed to be a Calvinist as far as I am aware. That he has some similar soteriological views does not make him a Calvinist. That leaves Nang, who I am certain is a person always willing to answer honestly asked questions, as am I.

Unfortunately what passes for discussion in these matters with the anti-Calvinist is usually sweeping mischaracterizations. Even when the anti-Calvinist weighs in with something worthwhile, they soon wilt away as their views are examined, their logical conclusions demonstrated,and errors revealed. Under such careful scrutiny using the full counsel of Scripture, the anti-Calvinist retreats behind "Too many words!" "I did not say that!" "You assume what I did not!" "You are a fool!" "I won't respond until you apologize!" or whatever rationalization that will help them retain some modicum of face among the watching mobs rather than driving the topic being discussed to ground.

If we know one thing from Scripture it is that ignorance is not bliss, but the very stuff that sends a man off to his just desserts. The sad view, Just Me and My Bible, is not found in Scripture. Rather what we find is the writers of Scripture, speaking under the superintendence of God the Holy Spirit, admonishing the believer to confess that which he believes using the sound patterns of Scripture (Rom. 6:17; Rom. 15:5-6; Phil. 1:27; Eph. 4:14; 2 Tim 2:13). A man that cannot articulate a summary of what he holds dear and why he does so is a man that is in rebellion against the very Scripture they cling to.

AMR

Last edited:

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
God has no unfulfilled desires, else He is not God. What God wants, God gets. That Scripture accommodates human finitude in language we can understand is not a warrant to assume in error. Obviously if God wants something and it does not happen, then God really, really, did not want it to happen, for He is not impotent. Try not to elevate righteousness as something more important than all of God's attributes, for they all inhere one another. God is His attributes. All of them.

Hence these sort of wants of God spoken of in Scripture must mean something other than your common assumption. God must want something far greater than what it is stated. Not all are saved. All would be saved if God genuinely wanted it to be so. A parent often allows the child to do something the parent knows will be harmful to a child. Ultimately the child learns the lesson, say, touching the hot pot. Obviously the parent's wants are distinguishable. On the one hand, the parent wants the child to behave properly, on the other hand the parent wants the child to learn the lesson of bad behavior. Both are properly described as wants, but the parent's true want is not going to be unfulfilled.

Similarly, God wants in the prescriptive sense. He commands this or that, the prescriptions for proper living. These commands are regularly disobeyed. But God also wants in the decretive sense. He decrees this or that. That so decreed is never not unfulfilled, else God is not God. Hence, we can think of God's will in several senses as seen in Scripture. There is the will of desire, or the will of decree. It is not that God is double-minded, like us finite creatures, only that we need to understand how God's will is spoken of within Scripture.

No. You do not understand the passage you allude to here. This is a common error. See:
http://theologyonline.com/showthread.php?113575-OSAS&p=4485652&viewfull=1#post4485652

God is not a debtor to man, repaying man for his wise choices, giving him reasons to boast, as in:

[FONT=&quot]“Lord, I thank thee that I am not like these poor, presumptuous Calvinists. Lord, I was born with a glorious free will; I was born with a power by which I can turn to thee of myself; I have improved my grace. If everybody had done the same with their grace as I have, they might all have been saved. Lord, I know that thou dost not make us willing if we are not willing ourselves… it was not thy grace that made us differ… I made use of what was given me, and others did not—that is the difference between me and them.”[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]Src: Spurgeon, Sermon on John 5:40 “Free Will a Slave” The New Park Street Pulpit, 1855- 1856, Volumes I & II (Pilgrim 1975), 395-402.
[/FONT]​

You want to claim the righteousness of God, yet deny Him mercy of giving what no one deserves? Odd. Yes, there is no dispute that the non-believer hates God, for all are born sinners, and sin because they are sinners. All in Adam are quite morally dead. Unable to choose wisely, able to not not sin. That is not the original state in which man was created. The first man was created upright, mutable, inclined only to the good. The act of regeneration restores man to a semblance of that original state. God's act of regeneration makes man's moral constitution aright once again.

The plain fact is that all deserve only God's justice, not His mercy. Justice is getting what you deserve. Mercy is getting what you do not. Your view robs God of mercy entirely for you have a defective understanding of the state of all who are fallen in Adam. You see fallen man as just wounded, retaining some seed of goodness, that allows them to choose wisely. Yet, their neighbors who have this very same same seed of righteousness, choose badly. The only conclusion then is that there is something special about you over your neighbor. Is this really how you see yourself in distinction from your neighbor? Think about it. Scripture knows nothing of this sort of arrogance.

No. What you are doing is claiming we operate from the same presuppositions you do and therefore believe about our beliefs what you believe about our beliefs. This leaves no hope for honest discussion. You are just not asking questions rightly. I know of no Calvinist who refuses to answer sincere questions. Unfortunately, most of the time questions are asked with hidden agendas and odious motives that result in toadying to the crowd. No one need be obliged to participate in the sins of others.

Nanja and b57 are hyper-Calvinists, a heretical group, so any answer coming from them is no answer at all. Truster has not claimed to be a Calvinist as far as I am aware. That he has some similar soteriological views does not make him a Calvinist. That leaves Nang, who I am certain is a person always willing to answer honestly asked questions, as am I.

Unfortunately what passes for discussion in these matters with the anti-Calvinist is usually sweeping mischaracterizations. [FONT=&quot]Even when the anti-Calvinist weighs in with something worthwhile, they soonwilt away as their views are examined, their logical conclusions demonstrated,and errors revealed. Under such careful scrutiny using the full counsel ofScripture, the anti-Calvinist retreats behind "Too many words!" "I did not say that!""You assume what Idid not!" "Youare a fool!" "Iwon't respond until you apologize!" or whateverrationalization that will help them retain some modicum of face among thewatching mobs rather than driving the topic being discussed to ground.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]If we know one thing from Scripture it is that ignoranceis not bliss, but the very stuff that sends a man off to his justdesserts. The sad view, Just Me and My Bible,is not found in Scripture. Rather what we find is the writers of Scripture,speaking under the superintendence of God the Holy Spirit, admonishing thebeliever to confess that which he believes using the sound patterns ofScripture (Rom. 6:17; Rom. 15:5-6; Phil. 1:27; Eph. 4:14; 2 Tim 2:13). A man thatcannot articulate a summary of what he holds dear and why he does so is a manthat is in rebellion against the very Scripture they cling to.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]AMR

[/FONT]
I will reply to this tomorrow. Good night.

Robert Pate

Banned
The irony of your response, given the hundreds of threads you have started telling us Calvinists what we believe, boggles the mind, Robert.

Beam. Eye. Remove it. :AMR:

AMR

Calvinism is so far from scripture that someone really needs to tell you that you are wrong.

1. You believe that God is unjust. He predestinates people to hell before they are born.

2. You believe that Jesus is a failure. He did not atone for this sins of the whole world, 1 John 2:2.

Robert Pate

Banned
Shalom.

I am a Jew. I do not know Greek. It sounds like, though, that salvation is a free gift from God. That is what the English reveals.

Shalom.

Jacob

It is more than just free. It is abundantly free. So that... "Whosoever that shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved" Romans 10:13. No works, no religion, Just simple child like faith.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
It is more than just free. It is abundantly free. So that... "Whosoever that shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved" Romans 10:13. No works, no religion, Just simple child like faith.
Shalom.

Good work Robert Pate. I know that salvation is a gift of God.

Shalom.

Jacob

Robert Pate

Banned
Shalom.

I do not believe any of that. Salvation is by grace through faith and not of works.

Shalom.

Jacob

Good for you. We that are saved have ceased from our own works (religion) and have entered into his rest, Hebrews 4:10.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Good for you. We that are saved have ceased from our own works (religion) and have entered into his rest, Hebrews 4:10.
Shalom.

Are you familiar with Ephesians 2:10, Titus 3:8, and James 2:22? You may be misreading what you see in Hebrews.

Shalom.

Jacob

Robert Pate

Banned
Shalom.

Are you familiar with Ephesians 2:10, Titus 3:8, and James 2:22? You may be misreading what you see in Hebrews.

Shalom.

Jacob

Those are all good scriptures. When we come to Christ as a repentant sinner to be saved by him God gives us his Holy Spirit. It is his Spirit working in us that produces the Christian life and good works, Ephesian 2:10. It is all of God. All that we have to do is follow the leading of the Spirit, that is why I am here on this Forum.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Those are all good scriptures. When we come to Christ as a repentant sinner to be saved by him God gives us his Holy Spirit. It is his Spirit working in us that produces the Christian life and good works, Ephesian 2:10. It is all of God. All that we have to do is follow the leading of the Spirit, that is why I am here on this Forum.
Shalom.

You likely already know about Romans 8:9.

Shalom.

Jacob

Robert Pate

Banned
Shalom.

You likely already know about Romans 8:9.

Shalom.

Jacob

To walk in the Spirit is to walk in the Gospel.

In the Gospel we are ALREADY perfect and complete in Christ, Colossians 2:10. As far as God is concerned we are in Christ and Christ is in heaven, Colossians 3:3. This is what it means to enter into his rest, Hebrews 4:10.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
To walk in the Spirit is to walk in the Gospel.

In the Gospel we are ALREADY perfect and complete in Christ, Colossians 2:10. As far as God is concerned we are in Christ and Christ is in heaven, Colossians 3:3. This is what it means to enter into his rest, Hebrews 4:10.

Shalom.

I am not sure of what you are saying.

Shalom.

Jacob

Robert Pate

Banned
Shalom.

I am not sure of what you are saying.

Shalom.

Jacob

What I am saying is that all that Jesus is and all that Jesus did is ours by faith. He is God's new Adam and our new humanity. In Jesus Christ we have been justified, sanctified and redeemed, 1 Corinthians 1:30. We now sit in heavenly places in Jesus Christ, Ephesians 2:6.

Do you believe?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
What I am saying is that all that Jesus is and all that Jesus did is ours by faith. He is God's new Adam and our new humanity. In Jesus Christ we have been justified, sanctified and redeemed, 1 Corinthians 1:30. We now sit in heavenly places in Jesus Christ, Ephesians 2:6.

Do you believe?

Shalom.

I am a believer, yes. I am a Jew. I observe Torah and the 1050 Commandments from Matthew to Revelation. I accept the TaNaKh but can read Genesis to Malachi. As for what you are saying, there is Theology, reasoning, or justification behind it. I grew up a Christian, and preferred Bible Study over Theology. I am not for Philosophy.

I believe that I am saved by God in Christ (Messiah).

Shalom.

Jacob

Robert Pate

Banned
Shalom.

I am a believer, yes. I am a Jew. I observe Torah and the 1050 Commandments from Matthew to Revelation. I accept the TaNaKh but can read Genesis to Malachi. As for what you are saying, there is Theology, reasoning, or justification behind it. I grew up a Christian, and preferred Bible Study over Theology. I am not for Philosophy.

I believe that I am saved by God in Christ (Messiah).

Shalom.

Jacob

Jesus abolished the law after he fulfilled it, according to the apostle Paul, Ephesians 2:6.

Christians are no longer required to live according to laws or rules. This is why Paul said, "The Just Shall Live By Faith" Romans 1:17. We live by faith in Christ and his Gospel. The law has been done away because it is contrary to us, no one can do it or keep it.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Jesus abolished the law after he fulfilled it, according to the apostle Paul, Ephesians 2:6.

Christians are no longer required to live according to laws or rules. This is why Paul said, "The Just Shall Live By Faith" Romans 1:17. We live by faith in Christ and his Gospel. The law has been done away because it is contrary to us, no one can do it or keep it.

What about the unjust, though?

Paul says we are to use the law as a tutor to bring unbelievers to Christ.

That doesn't sound like the law is abolished to me.

Also, Jesus said He did not come to abolish the law, only to fulfill it.

By the way, Eph 2:6 says nothing about law, only this:

But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us,even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved),and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus,that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. - Ephesians 2:4-7 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Ephesians2:4-7&version=NKJV