Rotating sheet ice in Washington state.

Gary K

Banned
For those who will listen and think water expands 1000 times when it becomes a vapor. That means 314/1,000,000ths of a gallon of water becomes .314 of water vapor. That's not enough vapor to be visible 6.0628 miles away.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
For those who will listen and think water expands 1000 times when it becomes a vapor. That means 314/1,000,000ths of a gallon of water becomes .314 of water vapor. That's not enough vapor to be visible 6.0628 miles away.

It is at operating altitudes of 30,000+ feet.

Gary K

Banned
For those who care to listen I figured cruising altitude of a 737 at 35,000 feet. Divide that by 5280 and the dividend is 6.6287 miles. BTW optimal cruising altitude of a 737 is 37,000 ft. That is 7.0075 miles.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
For those who care to listen I figured cruising altitude of a 737 at 35,000 feet. Divide that by 5280 and the dividend is 6.6287 miles. BTW optimal cruising altitude of a 737 is 37,000 ft. That is 7.0075 miles.

The atmosphere is a lot thinner at those altitudes. Thin enough that ANY significant amount of water vapor disturbance would be visible.

Gary K

Banned
Once again this for anyone who will listen and learn.

There are 256 tablespoons in a gallon of water. So, in 341/1,000,000ths of a gallon of water how many tablespoons are there in that? 256 x 341/1,000,000 = 0.080384 tbs. 8/100ths of 1 tablespoon of water or 8 tablespoons of vapor being spread out every minute.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Once again this for anyone who will listen and learn.

Look, if you're going to reply to me, then just reply to me already.

This sort of petty behavior is extremely childish. Grow up.

There are 256 tablespoons in a gallon of water. So, in 341/1,000,000ths of a gallon of water how many tablespoons are there in that? 256 x 341/1,000,000 = 0.080384 tbs. 8/100ths of 1 tablespoon of water or 8 tablespoons of vapor being spread out every minute.

Continuously doing the math isn't going to change the fact that that's a lot of water being moved at those altitudes.

You seem to think there's more water in the atmosphere than there actually is.

Gary K

Banned
Look, if you're going to reply to me, then just reply to me already.

This sort of petty behavior is extremely childish. Grow up.

Continuously doing the math isn't going to change the fact that that's a lot of water being moved at those altitudes.

You seem to think there's more water in the atmosphere than there actually is.
Really? It's being spread out at 500 miles/hour. That's 8 tablespoons of vapor spread out over 8.33 miles or 44,000 ft..

Gary K

Banned
You think I'm joking?

Yes. And?

What part of "the atmosphere is much thinner at those altitudes" do you not understand?
What part of 8 tablespoons of vapor over an 8 mile stretch do you not understand? I tablespoon of vapor/mile and you think that is highly visible from 6.5 to 7 miles away?

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
What part of 8 tablespoons of vapor over an 8 mile stretch do you not understand? I tablespoon of vapor/mile and you think that is highly visible from 6.5 to 7 miles away?

At those altitudes, there is only 0.021814 lbs of air per cubic foot. You're telling me 0.26 lbs of water is being moved in an environment where the air is 0.02 lbs/ft3.

YES, THAT'S A LOT OF WATER, AND WOULD BE A SIGNIFICANT DISTORTION, enough to cause a vapor trail visible for many miles!

Gary K

Banned
At those altitudes, there is only 0.021814 lbs of air per cubic foot. You're telling me 0.26 lbs of water is being moved in an environment where the air is 0.02 lbs/ft3.

YES, THAT'S A LOT OF WATER, AND WOULD BE A SIGNIFICANT DISTORTION, enough to cause a vapor trail visible for many miles!

Spread that out over 8.33 miles and that is .03 pounds of vapor/mile.

Gary K

Banned

Ever watched an airliner fly overhead with powerful binoculars? I have a pair of 10x binocs. I watched an airliner fly over a few years ago and there was no visible vapor trail.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Spread that out over 8.33 miles and that is .03 pounds of vapor/mile.

Ok?

Ever watched an airliner fly overhead with powerful binoculars? I have a pair of 10x binocs. I watched an airliner fly over a few years ago and there was no visible vapor trail.

There probably wasn't enough moisture in the air that day.

What's your point?

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You're referring to fighter jets not to large transports. And condensation does not remain in the air and then spread out over a matter of hours.

Here is a 7 minute video speaking to the amount of aluminum being found in snow and rain water across the US.

This isn't true. Some of the contrails persisted.