Researcher shows that black holes do not exist

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Black holes have long captured the public imagination and been the subject of popular culture, from Star Trek to Hollywood. They are the ultimate unknown – the blackest and most dense objects in the universe that do not even let light escape. And as if they weren't bizarre enough to begin with, now add this to the mix: they don't exist.

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2014-09-black-holes.html#jCp

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
This is one more example of how science turns theory into fact long before ever proving the theory in the first place. Then, eventually the theory crumbles and we all realize what a waste of time the exercise caused.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
And how many years did they waste on black holes?

TulipBee

BANNED
Banned
i wonder if space is a reflection of my mind.

going inward or zooming in is as big as space, right.

theres infinity in zooming in

The Berean

Shouldn't we wait until the physicist's findings go through the peer review process and it is studied by other physicists? :idunno:

The paper, which was recently submitted to ArXiv, an online repository of physics papers that is not peer-reviewed, offers exact numerical solutions to this problem and was done in collaboration with Harald Peiffer, an expert on numerical relativity at the University of Toronto. An earlier paper, by Mersini-Houghton, originally submitted to ArXiv in June, was published in the journal Physics Letters B, and offers approximate solutions to the problem.

Experimental evidence may one day provide physical proof as to whether or not black holes exist in the universe. But for now, Mersini-Houghton says the mathematics are conclusive.

Last edited:

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I can't find the thread. But, didn't Letsargue have a thread about how black holes and gravity didn't exist? I remember reading it years ago.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Shouldn't we wait until the physicist's findings go through the peer review process and it is studied by other physicists? :idunno:

The paper, which was recently submitted to ArXiv, an online repository of physics papers that is not peer-reviewed, offers exact numerical solutions to this problem and was done in collaboration with Harald Peiffer, an expert on numerical relativity at the University of Toronto. An earlier paper, by Mersini-Houghton, originally submitted to ArXiv in June, was published in the journal Physics Letters B, and offers approximate solutions to the problem.

Experimental evidence may one day provide physical proof as to whether or not black holes exist in the universe. But for now, Mersini-Houghton says the mathematics are conclusive.
I agree with peer review. One thing I have always known, it is not a hole. Look here, if I say I have a hole in my wall, what do you look for? My wall, then the hole, right? So it can’t be a hole. I may say I have a hole in my head, and then no sane person would look for the hole. Space is emptiness, and how can emptiness have a hole anymore than my head? I think black hole is an expression for what is merely mathematical, same with differential geometry in the forth dimension, hardly math.

Another notion is if gravity was great enough to condense matter, it would also lose matter and that would make the gravity less.

gcthomas

The paper appears to claim to have been able to combine General Relativity with Quantum theories, so she will have had to have made some assumptions. They are thoroughly incompatible at black hole scales, so a 'mathematical proof' seems a long way away from what the researcher did.

What she has essentially done is say "If my assumptions are correct, and I've combined the two theories together in a way which preserves the reality of both, then black holes, which have an awful lot of experimental evidence to support them, do not exist."

As the saying goes, if it disagrees with experiment it is wrong. I think this paper will sink without trace. The alternative is a Nobel Prize and a rather more prestigious university post.

gcthomas

Another notion is if gravity was great enough to condense matter, it would also lose matter and that would make the gravity less.

How do you propose a black hole would lose matter (except via the slow Hawking radiation process)?

JosephR

The paper appears to claim to have been able to combine General Relativity with Quantum theories, so she will have had to have made some assumptions. They are thoroughly incompatible at black hole scales, so a 'mathematical proof' seems a long way away from what the researcher did.

What she has essentially done is say "If my assumptions are correct, and I've combined the two theories together in a way which preserves the reality of both, then black holes, which have an awful lot of experimental evidence to support them, do not exist."

As the saying goes, if it disagrees with experiment it is wrong. I think this paper will sink without trace. The alternative is a Nobel Prize and a rather more prestigious university post.

So they are saying they solved it because they took out the singularity? "btw for those not following quantum theory's, a singularity is what you call something you dont understand. haha, any modern physicist could solve it if you just take it out. The hard part all along was getting gravity to work the same way in both.

And yes if they turn out to be right it will rewrite all text books and they will be world renown and should be.

JosephR

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHHz4mB9GKY[YT]this is a good video that can bring anyone up to speed with the topic and not have to be a scientist :)

The poster I think put a bad heading line for this video as it is only about the science behind black holes and nothing about God.I think it mentions nature once or twice, but its well worth the watch.

gcthomas

So they are saying they solved it because they took out the singularity? "btw for those not following quantum theory's, a singularity is what you call something you dont understand. haha, any modern physicist could solve it if you just take it out. The hard part all along was getting gravity to work the same way in both.

And yes if they turn out to be right it will rewrite all text books and they will be world renown and should be.

The paper says that instead of black holes you get a supernova without a mass concentration left behind. Since there is excellent observational evidence of very dense objects where black holes would be expected, it seems the paper fails the reality test.

JosephR

The paper says that instead of black holes you get a supernova without a mass concentration left behind. Since there is excellent observational evidence of very dense objects where black holes would be expected, it seems the paper fails the reality test.

yeah I was thinking, it could work till we can observe one closer or just ignore those areas where stars used to be..lol

I am sure the more we find out about dark matter/energy it will become clearer.I wish we could see 50/100 years from now some science papers.

Truster

The scriptures say nothing of a black hole, but they do speak of outer darkess; Evangel of Matthew 8:12, 22:13, and 25:30