ECT Obey the Gospel

meshak

BANNED
Banned
Do you see the word gospel in the first verse and how Paul uses it?

Of course we can talk about Jesus' word.

Gospel is all about Jesus and His word or His teachings.

You put Paul on a pedestal instead of Jesus.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Gospel is all about Jesus and His word or His teachings.

You put Paul on a pedestal instead of Jesus.

I do believe in the death burial and resurrection of Jesus. That is what I am emphasizing. Also that He appeared to many and ascended to the right hand of the Father. No need to put Paul on a pedestal. Jesus doesn't need one.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
I do believe in the death burial and resurrection of Jesus. That is what I am emphasizing. Also that He appeared to many and ascended to the right hand of the Father. No need to put Paul on a pedestal. Jesus doesn't need one.

You just agreed that all Jesus' word is the gospel, yet you just quote a few verses.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
More than what Jesus says?

Do you know Jesus says He is the Teacher?
You don't think He can teach His own gospel????????????????

You did say about Him and about His Teachings, which is good. I missed the about Him part. But I can still say that there are things that are not what Jesus said that are a part of the gospel.

glorydaz

We serve our God and King, Father and Son, and the Members of the Body of Christ, and those outside of the Church.

There are ways to serve in the flesh, and ways to serve through the Spirit.

The flesh requires effort, but whatever is not of faith is sin.

glorydaz

More than what Jesus says?

Do you know Jesus says He is the Teacher?
You don't think He can teach His own gospel????????????????

Meshak doesn't know that the Gospel Jesus taught while He walked among us is not the same Gospel He gave Paul after He had ascended into heaven. The Gospel of the Kingdom was for the Jews, and the Gospel of Grace was what our RISEN LORD revealed to Paul.

One would think what the Risen Lord preached would take preeminence.

It was the preaching of the Cross.

glorydaz

He's quoting scripture.
Romans 7:6 But now we are released from the law, having died to that which held us captive, so that we serve in the new way of the Spirit and not in the old way of the written code.

I know that. I was asking him what he meant by that.

To serve because it is commanded is a work of the flesh.

To serve through the empowerment and Fruit of the Holy Spirit is another matter altogether.

Danoh

Yes. But 1 Corinthians 15:1-4 or 1 Corinthians 15:1-8 is the gospel.

No, it is not the gospel, rather, it is a summary reminder of the gospel.

As is obvious throughout Paul's writings and throughout Luke's depiction in Acts of Paul's words and actions, the gospel of Christ involves educating a person about what sin is; about what its eternal consequence is; about Who Christ was; about how He was God's solution to the eternal consequence of sin; about how that the person needs to avail Himself of this, God's solution in His Son, by Believing this gospel or good news of Christ.

Paul was writing to people whom Paul himself every now and then asserts he is reminding they had not even known of God, nor of their sinful condition before said God, nor of Christ, and God's solution in Him.

What you have done, and what others who claim that 1 Corinthians 15 is all the gospel is, is you have read what you have read in Scripture, and or have been taught about what I have described (as described in Scripture) INTO Paul's words in 1 Cor. 15.

But 1 Cor. 15 is merely a reminder of much more that Paul had taught them about the gospel - it is not all that the gospel is.

It is more like a short exchange between two people who have been much more informed on the details of a thing, and or have agreed on the content of a much longer, much more detailed description of a thing.

Later, in conversation, when one of them says "Remember the Alamo," for example, or "Remember what happened at the Alamo" the phrase sets off in them a memory of all that phrase is actually referring to.

Sort of like the phrase "911" it not only no longer means alone, what it used to before "911," but now sets off in one a memory of all the horrific events of that day, in one phrase - "911."

Etc.

1 Cor. 15 is like that.

Paul is addressing people whom he had had to educate on all those details.

Romans 15:20 Yea, so have I strived to preach the gospel, not where Christ was named, lest I should build upon another man's foundation: 15:21 But as it is written, To whom he was not spoken of, they shall see: and they that have not heard shall understand.

I suppose that when Paul reminded the Corinthians of the following, that that was all there had been to say about it to them, when he first met them? No, it is not.

1 Corinthians 12:2 Ye know that ye were Gentiles, carried away unto these dumb idols, even as ye were led.

As in the latter half of Acts 17, Paul would educate these once God-LESS Gentiles on MANY details concerning "the gospel."

In fact, whenever HE uses the phrase "the gospel" this one phrase by itself VERY OFTEN throws people off who have not "been taught" ALL that PAUL means by it.

Automatically THEIR response is - "oh, what Jesus preached, okay..."

Years in that, and forget about it - trying to get through to them about this error of theirs like is pulling teeth with a pair of pliers made out of taffy, lol.

Those who assert that 1 Cor.15 alone is the gospel of Christ are simply wrong.

Acts 17: 11, 12.

Truster

I've been thinking about the gospel "proper" and this verse came to mind.

2 Thess. 1:8 In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:

I was wondering 1) how does one obey the gospel and 2) is it a one time thing?

Here are some examples of the word "obey" (G5219) used elsewhere in scripture.
Rom. 6:16 Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?

Eph. 6:1 Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right.

Col. 3:22 Servants, obey in all things your masters according to the flesh; not with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but in singleness of heart, fearing God;

Obedience is not a series of actions. Obedience is another mentality and as such is the fruit of repentance. The intentions are given to obedience rather than disobedience and so the thoughts, words and deeds follow suit in the regenerate.

Danoh

I know that. I was asking him what he meant by that.

To serve because it is commanded is a work of the flesh.

To serve through the empowerment and Fruit of the Holy Spirit is another matter altogether.

1 Corinthians 14:37 If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord.

Like what, Paul?

As when he issued the following commandment to the assembly at Corinth, back when the gifts were in operation.

1 Corinthians 14:34 Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law.

In contrast to the Corinthians, the Thessalonians were merely reminded of those commandments Paul had taught and instructed them in...

1 Thessalonians 4:1 Furthermore then we beseech you, brethren, and exhort you by the Lord Jesus, that as ye have received of us how ye ought to walk and to please God, so ye would abound more and more. 4:2 For ye know what commandments we gave you by the Lord Jesus. 4:3 For this is the will of God, even your sanctification, that ye should abstain from fornication: 4:4 That every one of you should know how to possess his vessel in sanctification and honour; 4:5 Not in the lust of concupiscence, even as the Gentiles which know not God: 4:6 That no man go beyond and defraud his brother in any matter: because that the Lord is the avenger of all such, as we also have forewarned you and testified. 4:7 For God hath not called us unto uncleanness, but unto holiness. 4:8 He therefore that despiseth, despiseth not man, but God, who hath also given unto us his holy Spirit.

Those are Grace motivated shoulds that instruction in the love of Christ towards us is meant to motivate in us as we learn more and more of His great love with which God loved us so, in and through, His Son.

Ephesians 2:4 But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us, 2:5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved; ) 2:6 And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus: 2:7 That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus. 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: 2:9 Not of works, lest any man should boast. 2:10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

That "should" there is as in "mom is not well, I should keep the tv volume down" and is the "should" of a mature child.

Love is its' motivator.

In contrast to that of a not yet mature child - "I should keep the volume down, otherwise, when mom gets well, there's gonna be a serious problem!"

That is the Law motivated should of the yet mature child. Fear is its motivator.

Grace is not against conscious good works, rather, it does not bless based on conscious works.

Rather, Grace blesses on the fact that one is in Christ from the very moment in which one believed the gospel of our salvation.

Colossians 2:10 And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:

Rom. 5:6-8.