NFL 2017

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
@Town Heretic I'm 9-2, as of now heading to 10-2, but I'm in a 3 way tie no matter what happens tomorrow. I have 43 for the tiebreak. One has 42, and the other has 44...I'm thinking the tie break is going to doom me this week.
Oakland has kept the cover distance into the 3rd as it's 20-16 their way. I need it under that 3.5...injuries to key starters and unfathomable flat performances have made this season both a little more exciting and a lot more challenging to call. I didn't begin to see the Seahawks crashing at home with Washington. Bizarre.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Oakland has kept the cover distance into the 3rd as it's 20-16 their way. I need it under that 3.5...injuries to key starters and unfathomable flat performances have made this season both a little more exciting and a lot more challenging to call. I didn't begin to see the Seahawks crashing at home with Washington. Bizarre.
Cousins has been playing extraordinarily well. If not for Wentz, we may have heard more about him this season.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Cousins has been playing extraordinarily well. If not for Wentz, we may have heard more about him this season.
I have nothing but respect for Cousins, unlike his ownership.

Ratings this year by opponent:

@KC: 116.7
v SF: 1.2.3
@ Phi: 110.7 (great in a loss against a better team, sort of what I thought would happen against Seattle)
v Dal: 83.6 (his worst outing and it was respectable)
@ Sea: 91.7 (terrific outing)

But then there was Wilson in Seattle and he's been pretty good too:

v Ind 107.5
@Rams: 76.2 (his weak game until today)
@Gia: 121.1
v Hou: 123.2
v Was: 70.3

At home I expected better. Seattle has been heck on opposing qbs. Until today they'd been top ten against passing attacks.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
I have nothing but respect for Cousins, unlike his ownership.

Ratings this year by opponent:

@KC: 116.7
v SF: 1.2.3
@ Phi: 110.7 (great in a loss against a better team, sort of what I thought would happen against Seattle)
v Dal: 83.6 (his worst outing and it was respectable)
@ Sea: 91.7 (terrific outing)
102.0 on the season, 4th in the NFL in completion %, and only 4 picks so far. He's putting in a very solid effort.

Jerry Shugart

Sadly, KC continued to stumble. I took the Boys in a picke'em to cover, but the Chiefs losing by double digits? Troubling.

It wasn't a stumble at all. KC was just outplayed in every phase of the game.

The team which wins the last meeting between the Boys and the Eagles will be in the Super Bowl.

The Eagles are in for a rude awakening!

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
It wasn't a stumble at all. KC was just outplayed in every phase of the game.

The team which wins the last meeting between the Boys and the Eagles will be in the Super Bowl.

Both teams looked outstanding yesterday, and it will be a real test for both of them when they face each other the second half of the season. If it wasn't for the sun in Dallas, they would have won by more. Prescott looked superb, he was throwing strikes reliably.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
It wasn't a stumble at all.
Sure it was and not the first.

KC was just outplayed in every phase of the game.
Your running game was better. Their passing game put up more yards. Tackles were about even. Neither team forced a fumble. KC threw one int more than your guys, by which I mean one.

Both qbs were effective. The difference is in the running game. Are you still sure you're going to have that come playoffs? And KC has a beat up line that isn't opening the same holes for Hunt, though he did manage over four yards a carry. I'd say the likelihood is KC gets better by playoffs. I'm not sure your guys will be.

I think NO can beat you on a given day, but I'd agree with most people and say Philly is the prohibitive favorite at this point.

Maybe. But who knows and by whom? That's the interesting thing about this year. :) At least for someone who isn't pulling for anyone in particular.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
KC was just outplayed in every phase of the game.

Here's the deal with the AFC:

KC cannot beat Pittsburgh

Pittsburgh cannot beat New England

New England cannot beat KC

So......Pittsburgh, KC, or NE will represent the AFC in the Super Bowl....it just depends on who plays who in the playoffs.

And.....Pittsburgh, KC, or NE will be the #1 and #2 seeds in the AFC.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

LOL!!!!!

Your Boys haven't won two playoff games in a row since 1995.

Not only that, your Boys have only won 2 playoff games since 1996. That's "TWO" playoff wins in TWENTY YEARS!!!!

Elliot is suspended for at least the next four games....what makes you think your losers (Boys) will even make the playoffs this year?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
The Chiefs were totally dominated by the Boys

so their loss was much more than just a stumble!
At the risk of repeating myself:

Your running game was better.

Their passing game put up more yards.

Tackles were about even.

Neither team forced a fumble.

KC threw one int more than your guys, by which I mean one.

Both qbs were effective. The difference is in the running game.

Are you still sure you're going to have that come playoffs?

And KC has a beat up line that isn't opening the same holes for Hunt, though he did manage over four yards a carry. I'd say the likelihood is KC gets better by playoffs. I'm not sure your guys will be.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
The more I watch this season, the more I'd love to see a new accuracy stat for passers. The difference in passers who win and passers who lose is in their accuracy, all other things being equal. Passing accuracy more than makes up for deficiency in the running game, and in receivers' speed. Being able to throw "strikes" or to put the ball "on the money" is what makes a good passer, and the "strike zone" is very small, especially with better defenses. That's why Russell Wilson's Seahawks beat Arizona, because Wilson was accurate, and Arizona's signal caller was not. And that's why Tom Brady is still among the top passers in the league even at 40, because he still throws strikes and puts the ball on the money. Passers can throw catchable balls, requiring their receivers to make exemplary catches, but virtually no receivers drop the ball when you put it right in their hands or hit them right in the chest. If you miss, there is where drops, batted balls, and INTs occur. Next time you watch a game, just keep a mental tally of how frequently the passer throws a good ball versus a bad one. Some games, some passers almost NEVER throw a good ball. It's a wonder they're even playing. It's also a sign that the crop of passers playing today all have a lot of room to improve.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Did you actually watch the game?
Not wearing a Cowboys jersey, no.

It was no contest!
It was a 4 pt game going into the 4th quarter. You have a peculiar definition of a no contest.

Total yds
Dal: 375
KC: 323

Yds per play
Dal: 5.8
KC: 5.9

Passing yds
Dal: 244
KC: 255

Rushing yds
Dal: 131
KC: 68

Rush attempts/avg
Dal: 31/4.2
KC: 19/3.6

Time of Possession
Dal: 31:17
KC: 28:14

Tackles/Sacks:
Dal: 58/2
KC: 56/1

Turnovers
Dal: 0
KC: 1

The Chiefs were lucky that they only lost by eleven points! It could have been 25!
:plain:

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
In baseball, passed balls are when you throw the ball and you charge the catcher with an error, the pitcher is not indicted on a passed ball. The catcher lets the ball get away, on a passed ball, and it should have been caught or stopped.

A wild pitch also gets away from the catcher, but it is ruled uncatchable, and is an error on the pitcher. Most professional baseball games' catchers stop every single baseball in some games, so there are no passed balls or wild pitches in those games, but in football, this 99% completion percentage is unheard of, and there are going to be a lot of either wild pitches, or passed balls, or receptions.

If the receiver should have caught the ball, that helps define the strike zone.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
If you want your comments on a game to be taken seriously you should at least watch that game.
I placed 15th out of over a hundred thousand people playing every game against the line a few years back. I place in the top three to five percent in any year just keeping my hand in. If I didn't have a handle on the strengths and weaknesses of teams and how they match up I couldn't do that.

So I don't need a homer to provide a litmus for being taken seriously as a student of the game.

Being a Cowboys fan for the last couple of decades might disqualify you from the attempt in any event. :eek:

As usual you base your opinions almost entirely on stats and stats can be misleading!
No, I've seen your guys play. I've seen every team this year, but I know that numbers tell the objective story of the game we view through individual bias. And genuine fans of teams are rarely objective when it comes to their guys.

He only watches the anthem.
:chuckle:

Last edited: