NFL 2017

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
So far it's an interesting day of ups and downs for me. We're having tornadoes so no games are on, just dopler radar and giddy local news crews. :mmph: Looking over my picks for today.

1. KC was an odd 2.5 fav. over Oak. I took that and ran. 1-0 :D

2. TB @ Buf (2.5): easy call here with one of the best defenses in the NFL playing at home (and their offense plays better here as well). I like Tampa as an up and comer, but not here. 20-28

3. Car (3.5) @ Chi: nervous Nelly game, as I hate the half point and Chicago is one of those odd teams that could stick it to me over that difference, so no. 24-21

4. Ten (5.5) @ Cle: too many pts on the road for me to love. Right at the margin for me. 24-20

5. NO (5.5) @ GB: I just don't know what the back up gives GB. But he's not new to the system and the defense in GB isn't bad. I'd jump on a fg, but I'm staying away from that many pts until the Saints show me both sides of the ball consistently. 35-31

6. Jac (2.5) @ Ind: a pick'em game. Shouldn't be. Without Luck the Colts can't overcome their weaknesses across the board. 27-17

7. Arz @ Rams (3.5): ...at home and at 3 I'm fine. The half pt will probably kill me again, but I just don't have any faith in the Cardinals at this point. Rams. 22-28

8. Jets @ Mia (2.5): I'll as likely lose this one, but I rarely feel bad picking against Cutler. 24-21

9. Bal @ Min (5.5): At home? :think: That's a lot of pts, but I have it at six so I'll hang in with the Vikings. 13-21

10. Dal (6.5) @ SF: Man...I'm going to regret the pts, but I like a needy Boys to cover on the road. 34-17

11. Cin @ Pit (5.5): looked like a wake up call last week. I'm pulling the trigger of the Steelers continuing the run. 14-24

12. Den @ SD (1.5): Denver needs this to use the KC stumble from last week. SD lost by a fg to Denver, in Denver, but they've been horrible at home so far. They're due and close enough. I'll take them on a hunch. 20-23

13. Sea (5.5) @ Gia: I haven't seen enough out of the Seahawks' offense to like that big a line. I'm going for the upset here. 20-17

14. Atl @ NE (3.5): neither of these talented teams is playing up to their potential. It has to change at some point. I like the Pats at home 19-31

15. Was @ Phi (4.5): you already know I like the Eagles to represent the NFC, so there's no suspense here. 17-28
The ratings show that you were the only one watching :idunno:

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
1) Yankees vs. Dodgers in the World Series

2) Lakers vs. Celtics in the NBA Finals

3) Steelers vs. Cowboys in the Super Bowl

A Yankee win tonight would pit the Dodgers against the Yankees in this year's World Series.

Which of the above three is the greatest championship rivalry in sports?

Yankees & Dodgers have played in 11 World Series (Yankees lead 8-3)

Lakers & Celtics have played in 12 NBA Finals (Celtics lead 9-3)

Steelers & Cowboys have played in 3 Super Bowls (Steelers lead 2-1)
Celtics - Lakers

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
A good week almost entirely in the books, with a couple of surprises. Mostly pleasant.

1. KC was an odd 2.5 fav. over Oak. I took that and ran.
1-0 :D

2. TB @ Buf (2.5): easy call here with one of the best defenses in the NFL playing at home (and their offense plays better here as well). I like Tampa as an up and comer, but not here. 20-28
2-0 :D

3. Car (3.5) @ Chi: nervous Nelly game, as I hate the half point and Chicago is one of those odd teams that could stick it to me over that difference, so no. 24-21
Whew. Back to the old Panthers then, at least for a game. 3-0 :D

4. Ten (5.5) @ Cle: too many pts on the road for me to love. Right at the margin for me. 24-20
Yep. Just a few too many...and a lower scoring game to boot. 4-0 :D

5. NO (5.5) @ GB: I just don't know what the back up gives GB. But he's not new to the system and the defense in GB isn't bad. I'd jump on a fg, but I'm staying away from that many pts until the Saints show me both sides of the ball consistently. 35-31
Never been happier to be surprised. The win I saw, but...well go Saints. And welcome to first place. 4-1 :mmph:

6. Jac (2.5) @ Ind: a pick'em game. Shouldn't be. Without Luck the Colts can't overcome their weaknesses across the board. 27-17
Even worse, which is good for me. 5-1 :D

7. Arz @ Rams (3.5): ...at home and at 3 I'm fine. The half pt will probably kill me again, but I just don't have any faith in the Cardinals at this point. Rams. 22-28
Looks like Palmer is done and so is the team. Time to rebuild. 6-1 :D

8. Jets @ Mia (2.5): I'll as likely lose this one, but I rarely feel bad picking against Cutler. 24-21
But then Cutler came out. 6-2 :mmph:

9. Bal @ Min (5.5): At home? :think: That's a lot of pts, but I have it at six so I'll hang in with the Vikings. 13-21
Vikings indeed. 7-2 :D

10. Dal (6.5) @ SF: Man...I'm going to regret the pts, but I like a needy Boys to cover on the road. 34-17
Nicely done. 8-2 :D

11. Cin @ Pit (5.5): looked like a wake up call last week. I'm pulling the trigger of the Steelers continuing the run. 14-24
BAM 9-2 :D

12. Den @ SD (1.5): Denver needs this to use the KC stumble from last week. SD lost by a fg to Denver, in Denver, but they've been horrible at home so far. They're due and close enough. I'll take them on a hunch. 20-23
Should have gone with my gut. 9-3 :mmph:

13. Sea (5.5) @ Gia: I haven't seen enough out of the Seahawks' offense to like that big a line. I'm going for the upset here. 20-17
Did I say that? I meant I was going to be upset here. :mmph: 9-4

14. Atl @ NE (3.5): neither of these talented teams is playing up to their potential. It has to change at some point. I like the Pats at home 19-31
Man. It's even worse for Atlanta than I thought. I'm calling this one early as a win. 10-4 :D

And tomorrow? A realistic shot at 11-4

15. Was @ Phi (4.5): you already know I like the Eagles to represent the NFC, so there's no suspense here. 17-28

Last edited:

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The state of Ohio is 2-11 with its two NFL teams (Browns & Bengals)

The state of Pennsylvania is 11-3 with its two NFL teams (Steelers & Eagles)

Also, how do you think those Browns fans feel about trading Carson Wentz to the Eagles?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
The Boys will blow out the Redskins tomorrow!
Washington is beat up in the secondary, so that should allow Dak to try a few things, which then won't allow Washington to put seven in the box, giving Elliot running room.

I can also see this one running close as much as 30% of the time, with Washington winning outright if fewer than a third of that. The most likely outcome I see is a fg, with Dal 27- 24.

Jerry Shugart

Washington is beat up in the secondary, so that should allow Dak to try a few things, which then won't allow Washington to put seven in the box, giving Elliot running room.

I can also see this one running close as much as 30% of the time, with Washington winning outright if fewer than a third of that. The most likely outcome I see is a fg, with Dal 27- 24.

The Skin's offensive line is in even worse shape than its secondary. At least three starters will be out and the other two are listed as Questionable. If the Boys get the lead look out because their pass rush is coming on strong! I think that they are about 5th in the NFL for sacks at this time.

Gary K

Banned
I wonder how Montana would have done against the 70's Pittsburgh Steelers in the Super Bowl? On defense they had Hall of Famers Jack Lambert, Jack Ham, Mel Blount and Mean Joe Greene. L.C. Greenwood (All-Decade Team) and Ernie Holmes and Dwight White joined Greene to make up the Steel Curtain.

A couple of games against that team in the Super Bowl and Montana's stats no longer look so great!
Yeah, I'm here late, and I've been a cord cutter for more than year now, but here goes.

And neither would Brady's. The point is moot.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
The Skin's offensive line is in even worse shape than its secondary. At least three starters will be out and the other two are listed as Questionable. If the Boys get the lead look out because their pass rush is coming on strong! I think that they are about 5th in the NFL for sacks at this time.
It looked about like my averages until the very late pick 6 to seal the Dallas victory. Neither qb looked particularly good in the rain, though both acquitted themselves decently. Dak threw enough and well enough to keep the defense honest, opening the way for Elliot. Washington couldn't get its answering rush attack to play off of Cousins. I suspect that a healthy Washington would have kept this one closer, more like the one pt game at the half.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
A good week so far, as I'm 9-2 going into the night game, where I have Detroit keeping it closer. Tomorrow night I have the Chiefs covering the 7.5. My two losses so far were the Saints missing their mark by a half point and the Vikings surprising road play.

Edit: looks like I'm losing the Detroit game with 2 minutes left. Shouldn't have. They gave away three pts early that should have put them in easy reach of a win, but no. Five trips to the red zone and no tds. Then with around two minutes they have the ball in the red zone again and come away empty.

Congrats to the Steelers. You covered...but you shouldn't have. No tds from Stafford as he throws for over four hundred yards. :shocked:

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
What are the odds that the Boys make the playoffs without Zeke?
The WC is possible without him, but not likely.

Say it shakes out like this:

NFC
East: Phi
West: Sea
North: Min
South: NO

That means the competition for the remaining 2 likely WC slots are between: Car, Atl, Rams. Without Zeke any of those is a tough win.

WizardofOz

Man that Cowboys vs Redskins stadium was sooo empty!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wait, how do you know? Either you watched or you're a parrot.

Kindly post in the 'boycot the NFL' thread. This thread is for people who actually know something about the game.

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
I see the trolls are still clamoring for attention. Nuts to you guys. I'm having a great season. Break your teeth on that. :D

I’m a Ram fan. Won’t watch even when they get to the Super Bowl. Just not interesting enough anymore. All the broadcasters using their “on air” voices just sound like they’re begging now. Rugby is the man’s game Hip.

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
Wait, how do you know? Either you watched or you're a parrot.

Kindly post in the 'boycot the NFL' thread. This thread is for people who actually know something about the game.

I was at the Hilton in ny layover coming back to “the best city in the world” Honolulu. It was playing in the lobby. Saw the pathetic losers. Real Americans have abandoned that game. Even floyd mayweather doesn’t support the idiots.