Mass shooting in Orlando, Florida USA 20 dead

Arthur Brain

By the way, I voted no. Surprised? Yeah, you're surprised. Now you're conflicted. You still despise me but now find yourself strangely attracted (more than before) that you can't pigeonhole me with that poll. Hmm...complex. Intriguing. You want to figure out what makes me tick. Maybe, you wonder, do I want to know what makes you tick? No, I'm such a bad boy, you just can't let yourself care again, be hurt again. But...maybe...you can be the one to "fix" me? Dare you try? Yeah, Ann, I know exactly what you're thinking:

Prove me wrong. Ignore me forever. I can't give you what you want.

So? You didn't vote in favour on the poll, whoop de do, plenty of your conservative brethren did so are you gonna berate them for voting in favour of executing gay people? Or are you just gonna continue to act like a complete pratt?

Eh, rhetorical question...like 'chavs' do...

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Alate_One:

The problem here isn't guns. It's Muslims.

We need to send them back to Africa and build a wall. It's that simple.

ClimateSanity

That site is a contradiction in terms...

:freak:

It's my favorite site. What do they say that doesn't think in your mind? Just because their mind isn't programmed like yours doesn't mean they don't think. Are you saying if people don't come to the same conclusions as you , they are poor thinkers?

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
By the way, I voted no. Surprised? Yeah, you're surprised. Now you're conflicted. You still despise me but now find yourself strangely attracted (more than before) that you can't pigeonhole me with that poll. Hmm...complex. Intriguing. You want to figure out what makes me tick. Maybe, you wonder, do I want to know what makes you tick? No, I'm such a bad boy, you just can't let yourself care again, be hurt again. But...maybe...you can be the one to "fix" me? Dare you try? Yeah, Ann, I know exactly what you're thinking:

Prove me wrong. Ignore me forever. I can't give you what you want.

Good Lord, he's gone right over the edge.

Interplanner

"Deserve" isn't quite the issue. There is no understanding of pluralism in Islam, even if it doesn't act violently. There needs to be 'fear-for-homosexuals' rather than 'homophobia' (fear of them). The fear for them is they are living in countries where Islam seeks to practice sharia, which is a violation of the US and other constitutions.

'Amsterdam is the world center for killing homosexuals' stated columnist Mark Steyn this past year.

Of course, all this is pragmatic legal talk on the civics level; it is not how the active Christian sees the behaviors of either diametric opposite.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Muslims are barbaric hell bound heathens that committ mass murder. Arthur Brain and Anna defend them from rebuke.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Orlando shooting exposes so many of America’s faultlines

The array of initial reactions illustrates just how confused the political response might become. Whatever else this is, it’s not about immigration. Omar Mateen, the suspected killer, was born in America. Whatever compelled him to commit such a terrible act cannot be laid at the border of a foreign nation. His hatred was home-grown.
Some will say it is about Islam. Mateen was Muslim. But mass shootings are not unique to Islam or alien to America. There were 330 last year alone.
Some will say it is about security. Mateen claimed allegiance to Islamic State. At the time of writing the Isis-affiliated news agency, Amaq, has claimed responsibility for the attack, although an official claim from Isis has been disputed. But he appears to have had no previous convictions. He may have been inspired by Isis’s brutality, but you can’t arrest people for what’s in their heads.

Some will say it is about religious integration. Interviews with his father and former wife suggest he was deeply homophobic and violent. The target of a gay club was clearly not an accident.
His father told NBC he once become enraged by two men kissing in public. His ex-wife told the Washington Post he was abusive and unstable. “He beat me,” she said. “He would just come home and start beating me up because the laundry wasn’t finished.” All this could prompt a liberal broadside against both Islam and the perils of multiculturalism.
But Muslims did not invent domestic violence or homophobia. And the determination with which some on the right have fought same-sex marriage indicates tolerance and acceptance have struggled to find a home in significant sections of Christian America. Indeed, just hours after the attack Texas’s lieutenant governor, Dan Patrick, seemed to suggest that the victims were responsible for their own deaths: “Do not be deceived,” he tweeted, citing Galatians chapter 6, verse 7. “God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows.”

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
There are two ways of looking at the situation with firearms as exemplified by the Orlando shooting.

A. It's an acceptable risk. In the grand scheme of things, you're more likely to be killed by lightening than by a terrorist. (More general gun violence is different of course) This is probably what will be "determined" if nothing else by political paralysis.

B. The risk is unacceptable and we should do *something*. Of course we've already seen a number of posters go the us vs. them route. We already know this won't work as most of the assailants in previous mass shooting have been white males.

- The other choices are:
1. Ban guns entirely and get as many off the street as possible with buyback programs (not likely to happen and likely less effective )
2. Come up with some other kind of regulations. I would recommend restricting weapons with the capacity to be used to kill a lot of people in a short period of time with no breaks for reloading.
3. More guns. This is the NRA answer (which enhances their bottom line since they are in bed with the gun manufacturers.

Two major problems with this "solution":
a. It's based on the idea that a minimally trained civilian can take down an armed assailant with his sidearm. In the current case there were 11 trained police officers firing at this guy. It wasn't as if one police officer could walk up and pick him off with a shot or two. Why does anyone think they'll do better in the same situation.
b. Not everyone wants to or can carry a firearm. Gun ownership has been going down, not up. You can't force people to carry firearms unless you want to turn the country into a police state.

I predict nothing will come of this unless the house of representatives flips in the next election. If the deaths of 20 little kids couldn't spur people into action, a massacre at a nightclub won't do it. It's a sad reflection of the state of our country and most importantly the Republican party.

Great post.

new_guns_630_0228_0.png

This guide was first published on July 20, 2012. Since then, we've updated and expanded it multiple times with additional research and reporting. The analysis and charts above cover the data through 2012 (comprising 62 cases); additional data and analysis on the shooters' weapons are in this story. Information on 18 additional mass shootings from 2013-2016 is included on the map and in our full data set here. For much more of our reporting on mass shootings, gun violence, and gun laws, see our special investigations: America Under the Gun, Newtown: One Year After, and The True Cost of Gun Violence. (Return to intro.)

US Mass Shootings, 1982-2016

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Quote Originally Posted by aCultureWarrior

I see that you want to use laws to keep Muslims out of our country but not to recriminalize homosexuality DR. Why is that?

I don't. I'm only suggesting you tackle certain questions.

Two 'cultures of death' (Islam and the LGBTQ movement) met last night and the result was 50 people dead and 50+ injured. That must be a very tough statement for a multiculturalist like you to "tackle" DR.

If I wanted to make a comment about recriminalising homosexuality I would have made it on the appropriate thread.

The LGBTQ body count just continues to grow since the decriminalization of homosexuality doesn't it DR?