Living by God's Law

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
"Who also made us able ministers of the New Testament; not of the letter (the law) but of the Spirit: for the letter (the law) kills, but the Spirit gives life" 2 Corinthians 3:6.
Is the letter the law or is it the letter of the law that is being spoken of?

achduke

I think it is referring to this.

Romans 8:6-7 6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. 7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be. 8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

Romans 8:12-14 12 Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh. 13 For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live. 14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

Robert Pate

Banned

They are one of the same.

Paul did not teach that the law could justify. This is why he wrote that the law kills or brings death, but the Spirit brings life.

"For as many as are under the works of the law are under the curse" (death) Galatians 3:10.

Why do you want to live according to rules and laws?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
They are one of the same.

Paul did not teach that the law could justify. This is why he wrote that the law kills or brings death, but the Spirit brings life.

"For as many as are under the works of the law are under the curse" (death) Galatians 3:10.

Why do you want to live according to rules and laws?
The letter of the law and the Spirit of God are different. This is nothing against God's rules and laws for us.

Can a person obey God apart from obeying His commands? If we are to obey His commands are we to obey some of His commands or all of His commands? It's not about choosing which commands to obey, but about what God wants for us in obeying His commands.

Robert Pate

Banned
The letter of the law and the Spirit of God are different. This is nothing against God's rules and laws for us.

Can a person obey God apart from obeying His commands? If we are to obey His commands are we to obey some of His commands or all of His commands? It's not about choosing which commands to obey, but about what God wants for us in obeying His commands.

"The Just Shall Live by Faith" not by laws and rules.

God does not want you to live according to laws and rules.

He wants you to live by faith, faith in his Son Jesus Christ, who fulfilled the law and abolished it so that you don't have to worry about it, Colossians 2:14.

If you live by the law you will be judged by the law.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
"The Just Shall Live by Faith" not by laws and rules.

God does not want you to live according to laws and rules.

He wants you to live by faith, faith in his Son Jesus Christ, who fulfilled the law and abolished it so that you don't have to worry about it, Colossians 2:14.

If you live by the law you will be judged by the law.
Jesus said He did not come to abolish the Law (or the Prophets).

All people will be judged by the Law.

If you live by faith that does not mean you do not obey God.

Do you obey one or some of God's commands?

Robert Pate

Banned
Paul wrote, "And the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me" Galatians 2:20.

"I do not fustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness comes by the law, then Christ is dead in vain" Galatians 2:21.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Paul wrote, "And the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me" Galatians 2:20.

"I do not fustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness comes by the law, then Christ is dead in vain" Galatians 2:21.
Righteousness does not come by the law Robert Pate.

Robert Pate

Banned
The Spirit of God and the fact that God would not leave us commands in the Bible to be observed if it were not possible to obey Him.

It is not possible to obey the commandments.

The law is the very nature and character of God.

We are called to live our lives before God as sinners, saved sinners.

This is why Paul wrote, "There is none righteous, no, not one" Romans 3:10.

Our righteousness is in heaven at the right hand of God.

Robert Pate

Banned
Why not if you have the Spirit of God?

Paul had the Spirit of God, that is why he refered to himself as... "The Chief of Sinners" 1 Timothy 1:15.

The Spirit doesn't make you righteous. It will show you that you are a sinner.

Get out of the Old Testament.

achduke

Do you have scripture for this?

Deuteronomy 30:6 And the LORD thy God will circumcise thine heart, and the heart of thy seed, to love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, that thou mayest live.

Deuteronomy 30:11-14 11 For this commandment which I command thee this day, it is not hidden from thee, neither is it far off. 12 It is not in heaven, that thou shouldest say, Who shall go up for us to heaven, and bring it unto us, that we may hear it, and do it? 13 Neither is it beyond the sea, that thou shouldest say, Who shall go over the sea for us, and bring it unto us, that we may hear it, and do it? 14 But the word is very nigh unto thee, in thy mouth, and in thy heart, that thou mayest do it.

Romans 10:6-8 6 But the righteousness which is of faith speaketh on this wise, Say not in thine heart, Who shall ascend into heaven? (that is, to bring Christ down from above:) 7 Or, Who shall descend into the deep? (that is, to bring up Christ again from the dead.) 8 But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;

Romans 6:1-2 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? 2 God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?

achduke

Paul had the Spirit of God, that is why he refered to himself as... "The Chief of Sinners" 1 Timothy 1:15.

The Spirit doesn't make you righteous. It will show you that you are a sinner.

Get out of the Old Testament.

Show me where having the Spirit of God makes one a Chief of sinners? having the Spirit of God makes you a child of God.

What is wrong with the Old Testament? God is not a liar! What he spoke will happen.

2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

When 2 Timothy 3:16 was written the NT was not compiled in what you see today.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
It is not possible to obey the commandments.

The law is the very nature and character of God.

This is why Paul wrote, "There is none righteous, no, not one" Romans 3:10.

Our righteousness is in heaven at the right hand of God.
What is this about?

Deuteronomy 30:11 NASB - 11 "For this commandment which I command you today is not too difficult for you, nor is it out of reach.

Robert Pate

Banned
Do you have scripture for this?

Old Testament scripture was written under the law, before Jesus Christ and his Gospel. It is not for today.

The Old Covenant and the law have been done away with by Christ, Hebrews 8:13 also Colossians 2:14.

Today, "The Just Shall Live by Faith" not by laws, rules or religion.

iouae

The Spirit of God and the fact that God would not leave us commands in the Bible to be observed if it were not possible to obey Him.

Good logic. Keeping the law is not "Mission Impossible". Even if we fail, every day is a "Bran Nue Dae". With Jesus we are not "The Unforgiven".

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
If you try to mix Old Testament law with New Testament grace nothing will make sense.
Do you interpret a change of law as a change of law from the Old Covenant Law to New Covenant law? Do you accept instruction from God and Jesus as to how you are to follow Him? Are you a disciple of Jesus Christ?

Does the following verse refer to new covenant law or something else?

Hebrews 7:12 NASB - 12 For when the priesthood is changed, of necessity there takes place a change of law also.