Justification of Eternal Punishment

rstrats

Ecclesiastes 3:11- Young's Literal Translation "The whole He hath made beautiful in its season; also, that knowledge He hath put in their heart without which man findeth not out the work that God hath done from the beginning even unto the end."

way 2 go

way 2 go,
re: "Ecc_3:11 He has made everything beautiful in its time. Also, he has put eternity into man's heart"

The following are a few of the translations that understand your NIV verse a bit differently:

‛ôlâm ‛ôlâm
o-lawm', o-lawm'
From H5956; properly concealed, that is, the vanishing point; generally time out of mind (past or future), that is, (practically) eternity

ok now to translate

he has put vanishing point into man's heart" :think:

he has put time out of mind into man's heart" :think:

he has put eternity into man's heart" :first:

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Context is key

Context is key

‛ôlâm ‛ôlâm
o-lawm', o-lawm'
From H5956; properly concealed, that is, the vanishing point; generally time out of mind (past or future), that is, (practically) eternity

ok now to translate

he has put vanishing point into man's heart" :think:

he has put time out of mind into man's heart" :think:

he has put eternity into man's heart" :first:

You were just given several translations that do not use the word 'eternity' in them. NOTE that even using your 'translation' does not prove or necessarily indicate that man's spirit is eternal. That is not even the subject or context of the passage. You are cherry picking your own limited words and interpretations.

See the Pulpit Comentary:

Verse 11. - He hath made every thing beautiful in his (its) time. "Everything:" (eth hacol) does not refer so much to the original creation which God made very good (Genesis 1:31), as to the travail and business mentioned in ver. 10. All parts of this have, in God's design, a beauty and a harmony, their own season for appearance and development, their work to do in carrying on the majestic march of Providence. Also he hath set the world in their heart. "The world;" eth-haolam, placed (as haeol above) before the verb, with eth, to emphasize the relation. There is some uncertainty in the translation of this word. The LXX. has, Σύμπαντα τὸν αἰῶνα; Vulgate, Mundum tradidit disputationi eorum. The original meaning is "the hidden," and it is used generally in the Old Testament of the remote past, and sometimes of the future, as Daniel 3:33 [Daniel 4:3], so that the idea conveyed is of unknown duration, whether the glance looks backward or forward, which is equivalent to our word "eternity." It is only in later Hebrew that the word obtained the signification of "age" (αἰών), or "world" in its relation to time. Commentators who have adopted the latter sense here explain the expression as if it meant that man in himself is a microcosm, a little world, or that the love of the world, the love of life, is naturally implanted in him. But taking the term in the signification found throughout the Bible, we are justified in translating it "eternity." The pronoun in "their heart" refers to "the sons of men" in the previous verse. God has put into men's minds a notion of infinity of duration; the beginning and the end of things are alike beyond his grasp; the time to be born and the time to die are equally unknown and uncontrollable. Koheleth is not thinking of that hope of immortality which his words unfold to us with our better knowledge; he is speculating on the innate faculty of looking backward and forward which man possesses, but which is insufficient to solve the problems which present themselves every day. This conception of eternity may be the foundation of great hopes and expectations, but as an explanation of the ways of Providence it fails. So that no man can find out the work that God maketh from the beginning to the end; or, without man being able to penetrate; yet so that he cannot, etc. Man sees only minute parts of the great whole; he cannot comprehend all at one view, cannot understand the law that regulates the time and season of every circumstance in the history of man and the world. He feels that, as there has been an infinite past, there will be an infinite future, which may solve anomalies and demonstrate the harmonious unity of God's design, and he must be content to wait and hope. Comparison of the past with the present may help to adumbrate the future, but is inadequate to unravel the complicated thread of the world's history (comp. Ecclesiastes 8:16, 17, and Ecclesiastes 9:1, where a similar thought is expressed).

Also note that a doctrine of the afterlife or the immortality of the soul is not definitively found in the OT and only speculated by Jewish philosophers and theologians who often borrowed such concepts from oriental, Greek and pagan schools. Granted, classical Greek and Hindu metaphysics hold to the immortality of the soul defined in their own terms so a study in comparative religion is helpful here, to see the evolution of the concept in the judeo-christian arena. There are also differences between the terms 'soul' and 'spirit' and other facets of a person that make it a complex issue as to what survives physical death or has immortality-potential and what does not.

Timotheos

calling God a liar good choice :rolleyes:

Ecc_3:11 He has made everything beautiful in its time. Also, he has put eternity in man's heart

No, I have never called God a liar.

Do you really think that "he has put eternity in man's heart" means "He has made everyone immortal"? It simply doesn't say that.

Romans 6:23 says "the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord". How could eternal life be a gift if EVERYONE ALREADY HAS Eternal Life? In Luke 18:18 a rich man asked Jesus "What must I do to inherit eternal life?" Why would he ask this if everyone already has eternal life? And if everyone already has eternal life, why wouldn't Jesus tell him "You already have eternal life, you will just spend it in eternal torture unless you shape up right now"? And if everyone is automatically immortal, why does Paul say in 1 Timothy 6:16 that only God has immortality?

Let's see, Calling God a liar? That is not a good thing to do, brother.
I suggest you study the scriptures to find the truth.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
calling God a liar good choice :rolleyes:

Ecc_3:11 He has made everything beautiful in its time. Also, he has put eternity in man's heart

Again,....this verse does not say man's spirit is eternal. The Preacher in this book can only say that man's spirit (breath) returns to God. There is no description (or very little) of an afterlife or the duration of a human spirit beyond Sheol in the Jewish scriptures. Ecclesiastes is only the limited wisdom of one or more writers representing the knowledge or belief held at the time of the writing.

way 2 go

No, I have never called God a liar.

Do you really think that "he has put eternity in man's heart" means "He has made everyone immortal"? It simply doesn't say that.

Romans 6:23 says "the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord". How could eternal life be a gift if EVERYONE ALREADY HAS Eternal Life? In Luke 18:18 a rich man asked Jesus "What must I do to inherit eternal life?" Why would he ask this if everyone already has eternal life? And if everyone already has eternal life, why wouldn't Jesus tell him "You already have eternal life, you will just spend it in eternal torture unless you shape up right now"? And if everyone is automatically immortal, why does Paul say in 1 Timothy 6:16 that only God has immortality?

Let's see, Calling God a liar? That is not a good thing to do, brother.
I suggest you study the scriptures to find the truth.
Your spirit is eternal.

Eternal life as opposed to eternal punishment. Mat 25:46

the spirit lives on without the body

Isa 14:9 The place of death is excited that you are coming. Sheol is waking the spirits of all the leaders of the earth for you. Sheol is making the kings stand up from their thrones to meet you.
Isa 14:10 They will make fun of you, saying, "Now you are as dead as we are. Now you are just like us."

Mat 25:46 And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life."

God has immortality as in he has no beginning no end.

:popcorn:

way 2 go

You were just given several translations that do not use the word 'eternity' in them. NOTE that even using your 'translation' does not prove or necessarily indicate that man's spirit is eternal. That is not even the subject or context of the passage. You are cherry picking your own limited words and interpretations.

God is eternal .
Christians are inheriting eternal life with an immortal body
as opposed to
most going away into eternal punishment

your spirit is eternal

and

you are either spiritually alive or spiritually dead , no middle ground

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Soul death.........

Soul death.........

your spirit is eternal

Ecc_3:11 He has made everything beautiful in its time. Also, he has put eternity into man's heart

everybody knows your spirit lives on after the body dies

See previous address.

As a spiritualist I do believe the soul-spirit lives on, undergoes a transformation at death moving on into the astral-spiritual plane, which may include a period of rest before resurrection into a new form or into a new dimension of existence. The possibility of a soul-spirit being inherently eternal or only conditionally immortal is what is being contested here. I'm still researching and exploring this from all schools, not just a limited biblical context, but am cognizant of biblical passages on the subject as I'm relating with those who prescribe their theology within such bounds.

What you need to acknowledge and read with the supplied articles is that 'conditional immortality' is supported by the Bible and accepted by many bible students. This means some souls may forfeit their opportunity for eternal life by continual rebellion and a full/final embrace of iniquity, which results in 'death'. These souls PERISH. The consequence of such iniquity fully ripened is destruction (disintegration). The Urantia Papers have the best description of this that I know of to date. NOTE: it is the functional integrity and personality-potential of these soul's that cease to be by consequence of sin,...the memory and experiences of true spirit-value of these persons continues on, is absorbed back into the oversoul of creation, nothing of true value is lost even though a soul may choose a path of self-destruction.

KingdomRose

Have any of you heard of Cliff Knechtle? He's an apologetic pastor who visits college campuses, discussing theological issues with students. I agree with much of what he says - such as his arguments for the existence of God, and his arguments against moral relativism. Though much of what he teaches is intellectually sound, there's also much falseness that he espouses, such as the 'acceptance' of Jesus Christ, and everlasting Hell.

I was watching one of his videos the other day. In the video a person asks him about Hell and he responds with an analogy. Through the analogy Cliffe attempts to explain why unending Hell, is a just, valid and deserving punishment. His reasoning is that offences committed against higher authority figures deserve more severe punishments. Thus an offence committed against God - the highest authority - demands the most severe punishment.

Here is the video that contains Cliffe's analogy. It starts from 16.05, ending at 19:13:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdlgI6oh7oM

Let me ask the following question, in response to Cliffe's analogy:

Why is that crimes comitted against higher authorities (e.g. police officer, president) should be deserving of harsher penalties or punishments?

Is it because society says so? If so, what makes society right?

I believe that Cliffe's analogy is faulty and incorrect. He seems to imply that the more authority a person has, the more valuable or worthy he or she is. But don't we, as humans, all have the same level of value? What is it about authority that gives a person more (perceived) value?

Isn't it unfair to say that the penalty for hitting the president should be greater than hitting a teacher? If I hit the president, why should the value of my penalty go up dramatically just because he has more authority? I believe that the penalty for hitting the president or hitting the chief of police or hitting a teacher, should be the same. All are humans and therefore have the same value. So the value of the punishment should be the same. It should unaffected by status, titles, authority, age, race, or any other such external factor. Our legal system(s) should be objective.

If a civilian who abuses an authority figure should receive a more severe punishment; should those in authority who commit an abusive crime also receive a more severe punishment? If the president hits a common civilian, should he be dealt with more severely, because of the authority he possesses?

Now, we know that the highest authority is God. When we 'slap God in the face' (as Cliffe puts it), offending Him, by breaking His Law, His solution is of course to punish us. This is so that we might learn from punishment. But if a person is forever being punished - via eternal hell - how will they ever reach the end goal, for which that punishment was intended? Even human authority figures grasp the concept of remedial punishment. How much more does God? In dealing with a rebellious child a parent might turn the child over, give a few slaps, and that's it. They don't perpetually slap their child. If wicked human beings (Matthew 7:11) don't even go to such torturous lengths, what makes Cliffe think that the good God (Luke 18:19) would perpetually punish His own creations? And not even just continuously punish them, but punish them in the most wicked of ways - roasting and burning in inextinguishable fire! The doctrine of Hell is not even punishment, it's abuse. Far be it for the loving God, who is Love, to abuse anyone. And to do so would essentially mean He'd be abusing Himself, because we are all, to some extent, extensions of Him.

Your reasoning is right on the money. Cliffe is out in left field. God would not eternally roast anybody, much less someone who perhaps did wicked deeds for a few years of his life on Earth. So then the wicked has to pay by being tortured forever with no hope of relief? Nonsense. You are absolutely right---the concept of hell-fire is abuse. God does not torture people. He is merciful.

Hell-fire is a creation of men, and the faulty translation of the KJV has perpetuated the idea that comes from cruel imaginations. Dante really made a big impression with his "Inferno." He wasn't trying to be literal, but some men ran with it. They must've said...oh good! an excellent way to keep people in fear and pouring money into our coffers!!

way 2 go

I believe that Cliffe's analogy is faulty and incorrect. He seems to imply that the more authority a person has, the more valuable or worthy he or she is. But don't we, as humans, all have the same level of value? What is it about authority that gives a person more (perceived) value?

Act 23:5 And Paul said, "I did not know, brothers, that he was the high priest, for it is written, 'You shall not speak evil of a ruler of your people.'"

:carryon:

Timotheos

Your spirit is eternal.

Eternal life as opposed to eternal punishment. Mat 25:46

the spirit lives on without the body
:popcorn:

No...

By eternal punishment I assume you mean eternal conscious torment and not eternal destruction.

Eternal Conscious Torment is not the opposite of eternal life. The opposite of eternal life is eternally dead.

You haven't proven that the spirits of those who oppose God are eternal. You've also ignored every place in the Bible where it says that immortality is a gift from God, an inheritance given to those who put their faith in Him.

KingdomRose

No...

By eternal punishment I assume you mean eternal conscious torment and not eternal destruction.

Eternal Conscious Torment is not the opposite of eternal life. The opposite of eternal life is eternally dead.

You haven't proven that the spirits of those who oppose God are eternal. You've also ignored every place in the Bible where it says that immortality is a gift from God, an inheritance given to those who put their faith in Him.

Good points!

The Bible says that the only person endowed with immortality was Jesus Christ. (I Timothy 6:16) Then those who have been anointed to rule with him will gain their immortality once their life course on Earth is through.

It's silly to say that spirits that oppose God are eternal. Satan and his demons are spirits and they will be destroyed---non-existent.

way 2 go

No...

they are spiritually dead before they die and continue to be spiritually dead

we all have have an eternal spirit

life is a gift of God (spiritual alive)

Joh 5:29 And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

Last edited:

way 2 go

Good points!

The Bible says that the only person endowed with immortality was Jesus Christ. (I Timothy 6:16) Then those who have been anointed to rule with him will gain their immortality once their life course on Earth is through.

It's silly to say that spirits that oppose God are eternal. Satan and his demons are spirits and they will be destroyed---non-existent.
God has immortality as in he has no beginning no end.

Rev 20:10 And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

Timotheos

My problem with that statement is that the Bible never says that.

life is a gift of God (spiritual alive)
By adding the qualifier (spiritual alive) you've added to what the Bible says, you've changed what the Bible says. The Bible says that the gift of God is eternal life. What would you say to me if I changed what the Bible said in order to find support for my position? I can't imagine that you would let me get away with it. But you change what the Bible says, and that's okay?

John 5:29 And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.
"Damnation" is not a good translation of the word κρίσεως.
Here is a better translation of John 5:29
"and come out, those who have done good to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil to the resurrection of judgment." (ESV)
Here is the definiton of kriseos: judging, judgment, decision, sentence; generally: divine judgment; accusation.

I'll give you the link:
http://biblehub.com/greek/2920.htm

I think you should should consider that you could be wrong. I think you should investigate this with an open mind and an open Bible. I honestly believe that you are wrong about this. I don't say that with any malice towards you, as I used to believe what you believe. What you say is not convincing, it just looks like excuses you throw up as a defense so that you will not have to consider the truth. I'm telling you this in love, in order to help you.

I have one other minor technical point. When you quote a scripture passage like John 5:29, write out the entire reference as John 5:29 and not as Joh 5:29. That way TOL supplies a link to what the verse actually says. If you had done that, it would have been obvious to you that John 5:29 doesn't support your doctrine. Thanks!

way 2 go

What you need to acknowledge and read with the supplied articles is that 'conditional immortality' is supported by the Bible and accepted by many bible students. This means some souls may forfeit their opportunity for eternal life by continual rebellion and a full/final embrace of iniquity, which results in 'death'. These souls PERISH. The consequence of such iniquity fully ripened is destruction (disintegration). The Urantia Papers have the best description of this that I know of to date. NOTE: it is the functional integrity and personality-potential of these soul's that cease to be by consequence of sin,...the memory and experiences of true spirit-value of these persons continues on, is absorbed back into the oversoul of creation, nothing of true value is lost even though a soul may choose a path of self-destruction.

there are 2 kinds of death

the destruction of the body
and
spiritual separation from God

way 2 go

My problem with that statement is that the Bible never says that.
By adding the qualifier (spiritual alive) you've added to what the Bible says, you've changed what the Bible says. The Bible says that the gift of God is eternal life. What would you say to me if I changed what the Bible said in order to find support for my position? I can't imagine that you would let me get away with it. But you change what the Bible says, and that's okay?

clarify not qualify

"Damnation" is not a good translation of the word κρίσεως.
Here is a better translation of John 5:29
"and come out, those who have done good to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil to the resurrection of judgment." (ESV)
Here is the definiton of kriseos: judging, judgment, decision, sentence; generally: divine judgment; accusation.

κρίσις
krisis
kree'-sis
(Subjectively or objectively, for or against); by extension a tribunal; by implication justice (specifically divine law): - accusation, condemnation, damnation, judgment.

I think you should should consider that you could be wrong. I think you should investigate this with an open mind and an open Bible. I honestly believe that you are wrong about this. I don't say that with any malice towards you, as I used to believe what you believe. What you say is not convincing, it just looks like excuses you throw up as a defense so that you will not have to consider the truth. I'm telling you this in love, in order to help you.

and
I have one other minor technical point. When you quote a scripture passage like John 5:29, write out the entire reference as John 5:29 and not as Joh 5:29. That way TOL supplies a link to what the verse actually says. If you had done that, it would have been obvious to you that John 5:29 doesn't support your doctrine. Thanks!
John 5:29
verse still works has condemnation instead of damnation

Timotheos

clarify not qualify

κρίσις
krisis
kree'-sis
(Subjectively or objectively, for or against); by extension a tribunal; by implication justice (specifically divine law): - accusation, condemnation, damnation, judgment.

and

John 5:29
verse still works has condemnation instead of damnation

Suit yourself, but don't you think that condemnation to destruction is still condemnation? So you haven't proven that God wants to torture people in hell.

Also, the Bible doesn't support your statement that "there are two kinds of death, the destruction of the body and spiritual separation from God." If you want me to accept your statement that death really means "not death, but only spiritual separation from God", you need to provide Scripture support for this. This needs to be something that says "death really means spiritual separation from God".

What I believe is written in the Bible. You seem to believe a lot of things that "clarify" and change what the Bible says. Death doesn't mean death, it means spiritual separation. The gift of God is not eternal life, but "spiritual life". I believe what the Bible says, that "Whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have eternal life."

way 2 go

Who told you this? It isn't true.

Please give the evidence from the Bible that "spiritual separation from God" is a different kind of death.
how much of this is news to you ?

and