Just a System

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
This thread is not about my approach. This thread is about the Just-a-System
Actually, your posts are a de facto argument. You keep publishing outrages, anecdotes.

My point went to the flaw in using that approach, how it gives a misleading impression and how easy it is to do that.

If you're going to advance that method, over and over, as argument then it's fair game to note the "argument" is misleading.

Again:

Do you have any idea how many cases are adjudicated in this country every year?

Juvenile courts alone handle over 1.7 million cases. If 99% of the time the courts made the right decision that would still leave 17 thousand cases where something went wrong.

In other words, a system that was nearly perfect would leave anyone who wanted to confuse that near perfect rule with the exception thousands of cases to complain about.

We have a great system. You simply have to be able to distinguish the rule from the exception.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Ad hominem.

How is saying you're putting forth an argument by reproducing headlines that shade the question to the negative an ad hominem? :plain:

That's not an attack on you.

Your argument is misleading.

Here's why, again:

Do you have any idea how many cases are adjudicated in this country every year?

Juvenile courts alone handle over 1.7 million cases. If 99% of the time the courts made the right decision that would still leave 17 thousand cases where something went wrong.

In other words, a system that was nearly perfect would leave anyone who wanted to confuse that near perfect rule with the exception thousands of cases to complain about.

We have a great system. You simply have to be able to distinguish the rule from the exception.

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I'm not here here to teach you logic
You can't teach what you don't know.

You don't appear to be here to do much more than cut and paste...either misleading anecdotes or links to your ad hom site.

Now, queen "this is about the issue not about me or my methodology" let's see what you really want to talk about.

That's what it seemed like to me, too. :)

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame

Massive Victory for 7 Kids in Climate Change Lawsuit in Washington State

"Today, in a surprise ruling from the bench in the critical climate case brought by youths against the State of Washington’s Department of Ecology, King County Superior Court Judge Hollis Hill ordered the Department of Ecology to promulgate an emissions reduction rule by the end of 2016 and make recommendations to the state legislature on science-based greenhouse gas reductions in the 2017 legislative session."

And you thought kids were indifferent.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass

Sounds familiar...

The colonists and settlers considered the Native Americans to be diabolically possessed, sorcerers, conjurers, worshippers of the devil, etc. And, of course, because the settlers (and the government) wanted their land, what better way to help that along than to portray the Native Americans as devils who they had to eradicate in order to take control of the land that "providence" had put there for them?

From a book I'm reading right now - A Different Mirror, by George Takaki:

In command of seven thousand soldiers, General Winfield Scott warned the Cherokees that they had to cooperate: “My troops already occupy many positions… and thousands and thousands are approaching from every quarter to refer assistant and escape alike hopeless. Will you, then, by resistance compel us to resort to arms… or will you by flight seek to hide yourself in mountains and forests and thus oblige us to hunt you down?”

The soldiers first erected internment camps and then rounded up the Cherokees. “Families at dinner were startled by the sudden gleam of bayonets in the doorway and rose up to be driven with blows and oaths along the weary miles of trail that led to the stockade. Men were seized in their fields… women were taken from their wheels and children from their play…”

From the internment caps, the Cherokees were marched westward. “We are now about to take our final leave and kind farewell to our native land the country that the Great Spirit age our Fathers… it is with sorrow that we are forced by the authority of the white man to quit the scenes of our childhood.”

The march took place in the dead of winter. “We are still nearly three hundred miles short of our destination,” wrote Reverend Evan Jones in Little Prairie, MO. “It has been exceedingly cold… those thinly clad very uncomfortable…” A Cherokee recalled how there were so many bodies to bury: “looks like maybe all be dead before we get to new Indian country, but always we keep marching on.” By the time they reached the new land west of the Mississippi, more than four thousand Cherokees - nearly one-fourth of this exiled indian nation - died on what they have bitterly remembered as the “Trail of Tears.”

One of the forced marches (on this occasion it was the Choctaws) was witnessed by Alexis De Tocqueville. In his words:

“It was then the middle of winter, and the cold was unusually severe, the snow had frozen hard upon the ground, and the river was drifting huge masses of ice. The Indians had their families with them, and they brought in their train the wounded and the sick, with children newly born and old men upon the verge of death. Three or four thousand soldiers drive before them the wandering races of the aborigines; these are followed by the pioneers who pierce the woods, scare off the beasts of prey, explore the courses of the inland streams, and make ready the triumphal march of civilization across the desert.”​

Tocqueville observed that the encroaching white men were able to deprive the Native Americans of justice “tranquilly,” and “without violating single great principle of morality in the eyes of the world…”

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
images
US Supreme Court upholds practice of considering so-called race in college admissions Ac 17:26

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
It is a great system as long as you have the money or influence to get what you want from it. Look at Hillary Clinton who commits multiple felony counts and.....nothing. Proof that lady justice is not blind and the scales are tipped with cash & influence, which is not the case for the common man who is held to a different standard. Yea, it is great system indeed...and this is just the most current example.

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned
It is a great system as long as you have the money or influence to get what you want from it. Look at Hillary Clinton who commits multiple felony counts and.....nothing. Proof that lady justice is not blind and the scales are tipped with cash & influence, which is not the case for the common man who is held to a different standard. Yea, it is great system indeed...and this is just the most current example.

Which specific felony counts?

And could the reason the Trumpster has been able to drag lawsuits out forever be his $$$? Nah, not Donny.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
It is a great system as long as you have the money or influence to get what you want from it.
No, it's a good system. But as with any system, power and money has a way of maximizing the benefits for the individual.

Look at Hillary Clinton who commits multiple felony counts
Well, no. You allege, you believe, but she hasn't been charged or adjudicated on any felony charge. Now that could be because her privilege, as you and others suspect, has bought her (at least for now) a degree of immunity. Or it could be that you're wrong on the charges and/or likelihood of success upon prosecution. I've set out articles addressing most of what's been advanced against her. Few prosecutors would make the attempt for a number of reasons. I tend to go with the latter for one compelling reason: a very large part of Washington has a vested interest in her being at least charged and tainted by allegation. It's in their best interests to push and pursue it. And yet they aren't.

Proof that lady justice is not blind and the scales are tipped with cash & influence,
It really isn't, though again, power and money can absolutely benefit the possessor in any sphere of influence.

which is not the case for the common man who is held to a different standard.
No, the same standard when he's called accountable. The problem of politics can come in the calling portion. Recently we had two Alabama football players with potential gun and possession charges walk away from it when a prosecutor declined to press charges. He gave two reasons. The first was a wan nod to an unstated insufficiency of evidence, but what he said next was truly remarkable.

“I want to emphasize once again that the main reason I’m doing this is that I refuse to ruin the lives of two young men who have spent their adolescence and teenage years, working and sweating, while we were all in the air conditioning.”

Yea, it is great system indeed.
It is, and beyond your political ax-grinding and anecdote leaning, it remains so for all sorts of reasons I've listed prior.

..and this is just the most current example.
No, it would be, if sustained, at best an anecdote. And we don't make rules from anecdotes, we use anecdotes to illustrate rules better and logically established by a much broader examination.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
It's simply the best system going, despite the bumper sticker, anecdotal attacks it receives from people with little experience and less education regarding its particulars, or (apparently) statistics. :plain: