Just a System

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
Murder is 25 to life- the death penalty is for those guilty of not affording a good lawyer.

The system, having 'justice' in it's name, is cringing in today's state of affairs- misdemeanors have as much of a penalty to one's life and reputation as felonies, and people are found guilty on technicalities; mitigations are ignored in a soulless system.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
I read the paper everyday and they list crimes committed and pictures of suspects in a section called law & order. The crimes run the gamut from theft to murder and everything in between. I don't know if it's just this area or nationwide, but I see so many repeat offenders and lifelong criminals violating probation and being caught again, like they have been most of their lives. Too often I see at the end of the report that if the person completes a 120 day drug/alcohol program they can be released. That's not much punishment for a life of crime.

On a different note, I get tired of seeing regular criminals get hefty sentences for, let's say car theft or drug possession, and these corporate criminals who steal millions get nothing, or in smaller cases here, the white collar crooks get probation for thousands or hundreds of thousands in theft. Our justice system leaves a lot to be desired.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
"Today we do not have a justice system. We have just a system." ~ Bob Enyart
I'm never really surprised to find that perspective in people who feel they've been on the wrong side of the system and don't have the experience to counter it or particular education in the whole of it...or maybe he was simply comparing it to the perfect. But he's wrong short of that and every system is short of that.

His case has nothing to do with it, since he wasn't tried under our system or by our laws.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Other countries have courts, as well. :plain:
Sure do. And their systems frequently differ dramatically from our own, from the system Bob feels let down by. Were you attempting an inferential thesis that all systems are broken comparatively? It's an interesting claim, but my point was to address the initial comment and then illicit whatever your larger thesis might be in particular relief. I attempted the latter by asking if you realized the second bit wasn't something you could lay at the feet of the U.S. justice system, the thing Bob was criticizing (and I think, mistakenly) as a rule.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
[Other countries have courts, as well (Ps 33:12).] Sure do. And their systems frequently differ dramatically from our own, from the system Bob feels let down by.
Bob, Jim, Joe, Clyde...
...[T]he second bit wasn't something you could lay at the feet of the U.S. justice system...
It happened in South Africa. :AMR:
... the thing Bob was criticizing (and I think, mistakenly) as a rule.
...Sally, Sue, Penelope... Ps 33:12

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
"We give out the word of God. What men do with it is their business." :poly: ~ J. Vernon McGee
“You know, if a waitress asks me if I want ketchup with my fries, I’ll reply, “No thanks, I’ll just drink water.” And that’s not just a statement about table etiquette; it’s a personal quote that accurately reflects my moral and philosophical belief system.” Jerod Kintz

Let me know if you actually want to talk about the justice system here. :e4e:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
"Today we do not have a justice system. We have just a system." ~ Bob Enyart Deut.
So you repeated already. I'm pretty sure I responded directly to that one.

Said something like:
I'm never really surprised to find that perspective in people who feel they've been on the wrong side of the system and don't have the experience to counter it or particular education in the whole of it...or maybe he was simply comparing it to the perfect. But he's wrong short of that and every system is short of that.