John Calvin said this....

Cedarbay

It's really only a huge topic among those who don't really believe, or don't understand what Paul said about the believer's death to law and union with Christ.
Do you congregate with fellow saints to worship God, and to hear the reading and preaching from the Word of God?

Cedarbay

It's really only a huge topic among those who don't really believe, or don't understand what Paul said about the believer's death to law and union with Christ.
You guys talk about eternal security and grace all the time, so what do you mean it's not a huge topic?

Christian Liberty

I have a collection of quotes of John Calvin that I think most Calvinists wouldn't admit to agreeing with, if they agree at all. In this thread I'll post one from time to time and we'll see just how many real Calvinists there are around here.

Ready? Here we go.....

“The devil, and the whole train of the ungodly, are in all directions, held in by the hand of God as with a bridle, so that they can neither conceive any mischief, nor plan what they have conceived, nor how muchsoever they may have planned, move a single finger to perpetrate, unless in so far as he permits, nay unless in so far as he commands, that they are not only bound by his fetters but are even forced to do him service” (John Calvin, Institutes of Christian Religion, Book 1, Chapter 17, Paragraph 11)​

Quote 2 & 3: Added 9/3/15 - post 109...

“thieves and murderers, and other evildoers, are instruments of divine providence, being employed by the Lord himself to execute judgments which he has resolved to inflict.” (John Calvin, Institutes of Christian Religion, Book 1, Chapter 17, Paragraph 5)

”He testifies that He creates light and darkness, forms good and evil (Isaiah 45:7); that no evil happens which He hath not done (Amos 3:6).* Let them tell me whether God exercises His judgments willingly or unwillingly.” (John Calvin, Institutes of Christian Religion, Book 1, Chapter 18, Paragraph 3)

Resting in Him,
Clete

I don't really have a problem with any of this :p

I really thought this was gonna be about Servetus, lol (who also deserved it BTW.)

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
John Calvin was known as, "The Pope of Geneva." It has kind of a
ring to it, doesn't it? He was complicit in the "execution murder"
of over 50 fellow human beings. Yet, he's a hero to some, even to
this day. What a guy!

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Some Calvinists see God as the creator of all sin and evil. Their mindset
is, sin is the will of God. Yet, Christ came to die for the sins of ALL mankind.
Do you see the illogical conclusions they arrive at?

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
They say, man has no freewill, yet, in Matthew 23:37 it states; "O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!"

Christ (God the Son) wanted to gather the Jews together as a hen gathers
her chickens under her wings, but the Jews wouldn't allow it. They 'chose'
not to have it God's way.

Do you see the freewill of the Jews in that verse?

HisServant

John Calvin was known as, "The Pope of Geneva." It has kind of a
ring to it, doesn't it? He was complicit in the "execution murder"
of over 50 fellow human beings. Yet, he's a hero to some, even to
this day. What a guy!

And you dispensationalists have abetted Israel in the murder of tens of thousands of Palestinians due to your misguided support of the non-christian Jews..... I would consider that way worse than anything Calvin did.

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Right, this is quite a popular approach for anti-Calvinists isn't it?

"Lets mine Calvin's works and rip statements out of context that we can use to bludgeon Calvinists. Maybe then they will abandon Calvinism wholesale."

:rolleyes:

Here's the problem. Calvinism, as it stands today, is really more a product of the Synod of Dort than it is Calvin's Institutes. I will grant that the nomenclature is rather unfortunate as creates the misconception that Calvinists accept with unquestioned loyalty everything that John Calvin ever wrote.

I agree it is very unfortunate that Calvin's writings can no longer be relied on as a definition of Calvinism. I sympathise with your predicament.

So can you confirm a couple of things:
Are you saying that the Synod of Dordt represents for you the essence of your own belief? Is that kind of like a catechism for you? And would you be happy to debate the pros and cons of Calvinism based on that alone?

And the other thing: can you confirm any particular statements of Calvin that you (and other Calvinists) definitely disagree with and explain why? Are these for example because they contradict what is written in the Synod of Dordt? This would be really helpful because then we could stop quoting these parts of Calvin since that would obviously amount to straw man arguments. I hope you will specifically answer this point with half a dozen or so areas of disagreement with Calvin. Otherwise of course, your comment might appear too vague to be believable. After all, it would be too easy an argument for you if every time someone criticised something Calvin said, you just declared that Calvin doesn't necessarily represent your view, without actually telling us why you disagree with it or whether you actually disagree with it at all.