John Calvin said this....

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I just want those on TOL who defend Calvin and say that isn't the position to show Nang and Hilston to be wrong.

j4jesus09

The first part of the Heidelberg Catechism entitled, "The Misery of Man", may give you further help with these questions.

http://www.reformed.org/documents/index.html

I read and I'm familiar with this view. My problem is if man is placed here on earth and told not to do something then he should be absolutely cool with that. Why would he not? So what, that the serpent said to do something else. Why would man be willing to do it? God told him not to. Why would he or she believe anything else. If people claim something was in Adam that was evil then how can that be. Adam didn't make himself. God did. So ultimately if Adam was the first person and had the capability to not sin he would not have. I mean look at God. To say he has the capabilty to sin or miss the mark would be foolish. God doesn't have a capability to sin. Man was made with the capability to sin which means he WILL sin. God knew what he was doing. He is much greater and wiser.

j4jesus09

My problem is if man is placed here on earth and told not to do something then he should be absolutely cool with that. Why would he not? So what, that the serpent said to do something else. Why would man be willing to do it? God told him not to. Why would he or she believe anything else. If people claim something was in Adam that was evil then how can that be. Adam didn't make himself. God did. So ultimately if Adam was the first person and had the capability to not sin he would not have. I mean look at God. To say he has the capabilty to sin or miss the mark would be foolish. God doesn't have a capability to sin. Man was made with the capability to sin which means he WILL sin. God knew what he was doing. He is much greater and wiser

musterion

“thieves and murderers, and other evildoers, are instruments of divine providence, being employed by the Lord himself to execute judgments which he has resolved to inflict.” (John Calvin, Institutes of Christian Religion, Book 1, Chapter 17, Paragraph 5)

"You don't understand what you're reading" / "You took that out of context" / "Arminian!" / "Calumny!" in 5...4...3...

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Okay, time for a new quote!

(I stay really busy with work and may have over looked a post or two. If there is something I missed that you feel like I should respond to, please just let me know.)

HisServant claims that we all deserve physical death and eternity in Hell. Calvin would have disagreed!!

Calvinism's god does not send people to Hell because they deserve Hell but because he simply, arbitrarily, decreed that they would go to Hell. He decreed that certain people will go to Heaven and others will go to Hell because he wanted to and for NO OTHER REASON.

“God is moved to mercy for no other reason but that he wills to be merciful.” (John Calvin, Institutes of Christian Religion, Book 3, Chapter 22, Paragraph 8)

“… predestination to glory is the cause of predestination to grace, rather than the converse.” (John Calvin, Institutes of Christian Religion, Book 3, Chapter 22, Paragraph 9)

“Therefore, those whom God passes over, he condemns; and this he does for no other reason than that he wills to exclude them from the inheritance which he predestines for his own children.” (John Calvin, Institutes of Christian Religion, Book 3, Chapter 23, Paragraph 1)

“We cannot assign any reason for his bestowing mercy on his people, but just as it so pleases him, neither can we have any reason for his reprobating others but his will.” (John Calvin, Institutes of Christian Religion, Book 3, Chapter 22, Paragraph 11)​

Resting in Him,
Clete

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
HisServant claims that we all deserve physical death and eternity in Hell. Calvin would have disagreed!!

Calvinism's god does not send people to Hell because they deserve Hell but because he simply, arbitrarily, decreed that they would go to Hell. He decreed that certain people will go to Heaven and others will go to Hell because he wanted to and for NO OTHER REASON.

Resting in Him,
Clete

My apologies for the rabbit trail, but at least one TOL member has stated the exact same thing in different words. And to throw salt on the wound, she says they deserve it (being created to damn them to hell).

beloved57

I have a collection of quotes of John Calvin that I think most Calvinists wouldn't admit to agreeing with, if they agree at all. In this thread I'll post one from time to time and we'll see just how many real Calvinists there are around here.

Ready? Here we go.....

“The devil, and the whole train of the ungodly, are in all directions, held in by the hand of God as with a bridle, so that they can neither conceive any mischief, nor plan what they have conceived, nor how muchsoever they may have planned, move a single finger to perpetrate, unless in so far as he permits, nay unless in so far as he commands, that they are not only bound by his fetters but are even forced to do him service” (John Calvin, Institutes of Christian Religion, Book 1, Chapter 17, Paragraph 11)​

Quote 2 & 3: Added 9/3/15 - post 109...

“thieves and murderers, and other evildoers, are instruments of divine providence, being employed by the Lord himself to execute judgments which he has resolved to inflict.” (John Calvin, Institutes of Christian Religion, Book 1, Chapter 17, Paragraph 5)

”He testifies that He creates light and darkness, forms good and evil (Isaiah 45:7); that no evil happens which He hath not done (Amos 3:6).* Let them tell me whether God exercises His judgments willingly or unwillingly.” (John Calvin, Institutes of Christian Religion, Book 1, Chapter 18, Paragraph 3)​

Quote 4, 5, 6 & 7: Posted on9/4/15 - Post 221

“God is moved to mercy for no other reason but that he wills to be merciful.” (John Calvin, Institutes of Christian Religion, Book 3, Chapter 22, Paragraph 8)

“… predestination to glory is the cause of predestination to grace, rather than the converse.” (John Calvin, Institutes of Christian Religion, Book 3, Chapter 22, Paragraph 9)

“Therefore, those whom God passes over, he condemns; and this he does for no other reason than that he wills to exclude them from the inheritance which he predestines for his own children.” (John Calvin, Institutes of Christian Religion, Book 3, Chapter 23, Paragraph 1)

“We cannot assign any reason for his bestowing mercy on his people, but just as it so pleases him, neither can we have any reason for his reprobating others but his will.” (John Calvin, Institutes of Christian Religion, Book 3, Chapter 22, Paragraph 11)​

Resting in Him,
Clete
Those things are sound and cannot be refuted! The book of Job testifys to those things!

Shasta

This is a common claim but it isn't actually true.

Reformed doctrine (Calvinism) is a formalization of post Luther, Augustinian doctrine. Augustine all but worship Aristotle and Plato (i.e. the Classics) when he was young and he refused to become a Christian because the bible depicted a God that could change His mind. It wasn't until his mother's bishop, Bishop Ambrose of Milan, told Augustine the the bible should be interpreted in light of Aristotelian philosophy that he relented and became a Christian saying, “I found that whatever truth I had read in the Platonists was said here with praise of Your grace… [especially] You who are always the same” (7, xxi). And “in the Platonists, God and his Word are everywhere implied” (Confessions of Augustine, 8, ii).

This is the origin of all Calvinistic distinctives. Total depravity is as much derived from the ABSOLUTE immutability of God as is the doctrine of exhaustive divine foreknowledge or limited atonement or any other distinctively Calvinist doctrine you can think of.

Resting in Him,
Clete

I believe Augustine's thinking was more influenced by the cult of Manichaeism that he had belonged to for almost ten years than by the classical philosophical systems he had studied. Augustine's issues as a cultist and a philosopher and had always been about the origin of good and evil. Perhaps he wanted to understand why he could not overcome his own personal sins. Manichaeanism explained that good and evil emanated from two equal and opposite metaphysical forces. Just as Augustine himself seemed utterly unable to control his lusts so did mankind appear to be totally corrupt and unable to deliver himself. In certain select men, fragments of the Kingdom of Light remained and strove to transcend the material world of evil.

This is just my impression of the religion. I have not devoted a great deal of time to studying it. Arnobius carries on a rather brilliant debate with the prophet Mani himself, whom he said was dressed in all kinds of colors. Evidently his Persian garb made him seem as strange as his doctrine to the Christians.

It is impossible for me to avoid noticing that the primary assumptions of Manichaeanism - determinism and total depravity (inability) were also guiding principles of Augustine's theology, more so than those issues relating to the divine Being you mentioned. From the standpoint of Manichaeanism the important issues were always mankind's corruption and his total ruin (his inability or "total depravity") These were what made predeterminism necessary.

The similarities between Augustininanism and Calvinism are striking, which is to be expected since one came from the other. Both are a striking departure from what had been taught for the first three hundred years of Christianity.

Shasta

There is nothing that is going on in Palestine right now that has been predestined.

Up until now you have maintained that every evil thing that happens is predestined. Why should the sphere of God's "sovereignty" end at the borders of the Nation of Israel?

Jerry Shugart

The Westminister Confession of Faith represents a theological consensus of international Calvinism and there we read that since man is deprived of original righteousness all men come out of the womb "made opposite to all good and wholly inclined to all evil":

"From this original corruption, whereby we are utterly indisposed, disabled, and made opposite to all good, and wholly inclined to all evil, do proceed all actual transgressions" [emphasis added] (The Westminster Confession of Faith; VI/4).​

If the Calvinists are right then God punishes men when they do the very things which He designed them to do:

"...the righteous judgment of God; Who will render to every man according to his deeds...unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath, tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil:" (Ro.2:5-6,8-9).​

Sir Robert Anderson writes, "As the Westminster Divines express it, 'We are utterly indisposed, disabled, and made opposite to all good.' This theology obviously impugns the righteousness of God in punishing men for their sins. In fact, it represents Him as a tyrant who punishes the lame for limping and the blind for losing their way" (Anderson, Misundersood Texts of the New Testament [Grand Rapids: Kregel, 1991], 75).

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
The Westminister Confession of Faith represents a theological consensus of international Calvinism and there we read that since man is deprived of original righteousness all men come out of the womb "made opposite to all good and wholly inclined to all evil":

"From this original corruption, whereby we are utterly indisposed, disabled, and made opposite to all good, and wholly inclined to all evil, do proceed all actual transgressions" [emphasis added] (The Westminster Confession of Faith; VI/4).​

If the Calvinists are right then God punishes men when they do the very things which He designed them to do:

"...the righteous judgment of God; Who will render to every man according to his deeds...unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath, tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil:" (Ro.2:5-6,8-9).​

Sir Robert Anderson writes, "As the Westminster Divines express it, 'We are utterly indisposed, disabled, and made opposite to all good.' This theology obviously impugns the righteousness of God in punishing men for their sins. In fact, it represents Him as a tyrant who punishes the lame for limping and the blind for losing their way" (Anderson, Misundersood Texts of the New Testament [Grand Rapids: Kregel, 1991], 75).

What makes you think damnation is punishment?

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
The similarities between Augustininanism and Calvinism are striking, which is to be expected since one came from the other. Both are a striking departure from what had been taught for the first three hundred years of Christianity.

The wolves were already there and more entered as soon as Peter and Paul were gone.

Twas a breath of fresh air that came 300 years later.

Philippians 3:18 KJV

18 (For many walk , of whom I have told you often, and now tell you even weeping , that they are the enemies of the cross of Christ:

Acts 20:29 KJV

29 For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock.