It not about a "gun culture," but a "death culture."

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
In 2014, .0000043% of the U.S population was murdered. The death toll was 13,853. According to one accounting, 69% of those murders were committed with guns and 12% were committed with knives. If we searched the histories of the .000003011% of the U.S. population murdered with guns that year we would likely find a significant percentage of them were criminals and gang members, and we would also likely find a significant percentage of the guns used to murder them were acquired illegally.

Why would that *low number of victims merit any infringement on the right of millions to bear arms? There is presently a misplaced focus by some on the law abiding "gun culture," when they should be focused on the "death culture" that creates murderers who will kill with a knife if they can't get a gun.

* Relative to the U.S. population of 318,900,000 in 2014. For an interesting comparison, a 2013 study estimated premature deaths associated with preventable harm to patients was at more than 400,000 per year, and serious harm 10-20 fold more. In other words, doctors killed far more people negligently in 2014 than were murdered with guns.

You have children including young children. If one of you children were shot and killed in a mass shooting, would the fact that your kids death was just one of an extremely low number of victims make you feel any better?

oatmeal

If we are indeed concerned about reducing deaths we should work on road related deaths.

There about 30,000 road related deaths per year.

For that matter, if we consider that smoking is the cause of about 1,300 deaths a day, a day why haven't we banned tobacco use?

Why? because we would rather tax those things that are killing us.

Tobacco is killing 1,300 people a day vs. people murdering other people at 13,000 people a year?

And we allow tobacco?

Tobacco use is suicidal

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
What will you do in hell when you face God's wrath? Do you think about these things?

Not really.

You are more honest with this answer than most of your posts. Why are you such a malcontent? Are you Calvinist in your thinking of God, and that he directs everything and therefore all things wrong are wrong because God decreed it?

Quetzal

You are more honest with this answer than most of your posts. Why are you such a malcontent? Are you Calvinist in your thinking of God, and that he directs everything and therefore all things wrong are wrong because God decreed it?
I don't know. I am not dodging your question I just have genuinely no idea what the divine is, how it works, or if it even exists. Sorry that upsets you.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I do not believe all individuals are capable of making life/death decisions on the fly.

I believe even you would make the correct choice on the fly, as you call it. A man jumps out and chokes you, your response is what? He jumps on your mother when the two of you are in Target. Your response is what?

Ask him to stop or you have to think it through?

Quetzal

I believe even you would make the correct choice on the fly, as you call it. A man jumps out and chokes you, your response is what? He jumps on your mother when the two of you are in Target. Your response is what?

Ask him to stop or you have to think it through?
It is not always so black and white.

Quetzal

Unless someone has training, I don't think anyone knows exactly how they would respond in such a situation due to the *shock factor*.
Right and that was my argument from the beginning. I don't mind firearms in the hands of someone who has formal training.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Right and that was my argument from the beginning. I don't mind firearms in the hands of someone who has formal training.

I would have an issue with firearms being banned in such a way that law abiding citizens were not able to defend themselves in their own home.

Quetzal

I would have an issue with firearms being banned in such a way that law abiding citizens were not able to defend themselves in their own home.
Sure, I wouldn't argue against that. Despite my distaste for firearms, they aren't going anywhere. In regards to what you are referring to, we are in agreement.

Foxfire

It not about a "gun culture," but a "death culture."

That was certainly the case for somewhere between a half million to a million Rwandans who were hacked to death with machetes' in a country that has an average of just over 1 (one) gun per 200 people.

We live in a culture where an entire generation has no memory of the US NOT being at war. :think:

elohiym

You have children including young children. If one of you children were shot and killed in a mass shooting, would the fact that your kids death was just one of an extremely low number of victims make you feel any better?

Of course not; but the point is that I wouldn't blame guns for my child's murder because it would be irrational to do so. The cause of murder isn't guns but a certain mindset.

If your child was stabbed to death in a mass-stabbing, would you seek to ban knives or regulate them more than they are now?

PureX

Of course not; but the point is that I wouldn't blame guns for my child's murder because it would be irrational to do so. The cause of murder isn't guns but a certain mindset.
I agree.

And that "mindset" is the result of a very long honored and often repeated cultural narrative involving the use of handguns and deadly force to resolve our problems and differences. In effect: we 'kill our problems' by labeling the people who present them to us as 'evil', and obliterating them with violent force. And in our books and movies it's easy to make this absurdly over-simpistic narrative appear reasonable, because the "bad guys" are always really bad, clearly bad, and irredeemably bad. They 'deserve' to be annihilated from existence, and the big payoff in the narrative is the obliteration of evil through the obliteration of the 'bad guys'.

But in real life such absurd over-simplification is unrealistic, and leads us to make very unreasonable choices and decisions that cost a lot of real human beings their lives. Yet we are so enamored with this over-simplistic fantasy of solving the problem of evil and contention with others in our society by killing those who manifest it that we won't recognize the fantasy for what it is, and let go of it. And this is the real reason that so many of us are so absurdly resistant to any sort of gun control. We are 'in love' with our fantasy of the righteous gun-slinger obliterating evil, and the instant resolution and gratification that comes with it.

This love of fantasy and the habit of denial in favor of fantasy seems to be a particularly U.S. American trait, and it's been keeping us from seeing ourselves as we really are for a very long time. And from seeing the reality of how we behave toward each other, and toward the other people of the world.

If this is the "culture of death" that you were referring to in your OP, then I whole-heartedly agree with you. But I honestly do not know how we are going to combat generations of cultural imprinting, now, when most of us can't even recognize that it's happened, and still happening. And they will fight tooth and nail to deny it if we try to show them.

So all that leaves us with is the practical imposition of gun regulation aimed at trying to minimize this fantasy of the righteous gun-slinger and the irrational and dangerous behaviors that result from it. And even that will be a great struggle, because even that will be resisted tooth and nail by those who have long since incorporated this fantasy into their concept of reality. Not to mention that it will hurt the bottom line of the gun manufacturers who wield a great deal of influence in the both the media and the halls of government.

Quetzal

If your child was stabbed to death in a mass-stabbing, would you seek to ban knives or regulate them more than they are now?
I would like you to take out a piece of scrap paper and draw a line down the middle. On the left side I want you to list all of the things that make knives and guns similar. In function, design, and aesthetics. On the right side list everything that makes them fundamentally different. I really need you to see just how different these two things are. Perhaps this elementary exercise might help you.

elohiym

elohiym said:
No amount of murder is acceptable to me. That is why I don't focus on the guns but focus on the death culture that breeds murderers who will use knives and other things to commit murder.
But fewer people would be killed if guns were less available.

Not necessarily. Perhaps fewer people would be killed with guns, but that is just an assumption and depends on what you mean by "less available." The murder rate could remain the same; with the decrease in gun homicide there could be an increase in knife homicide. For example, according to Australian crime statistics: "Firearm use has declined by more than half since 1989-90 as a proportion of homicide methods, and there has been an upward trend in the use of knives and sharp instruments, which in 2006-07 accounted for nearly half of all homicide victims."

weapon_trends.png

elohiym said:
A woman's right to privacy is not the right to murder another person.
A Person's second amendment right does not extend to a gun they may use to kill someone or could be accidentally used to kill a child.

Who is arguing the right to bear arms is the right to commit murder or be negligent? Not me. There are laws against murder and criminal negligence already. You seem to believe a woman's right to privacy is the right to abort (murder) her child.

And yet you pretend as if gun laws are bad because they infringe on such rights.

Apply some common sense to a fact: If any law infringes on a constitutional right, that law is void. I don't have to pretend that a void law is bad.

As a right to own a gun isn't a licence to commit murder, but yet there are many people that are killed with guns, suicides, accidents as well as murders (not included in your numbers).

The same can be said for knives, cars and other things. I also posted statistics on negligent deaths caused by physicians being approximately 400,000 per year. Your focus on guns is irrational.

You can only effectively protect this life by invading a woman's privacy to find out said life is there.

That's obviously not true, and it's not relevant enough to the topic to debate. .

elohiym said:
What are you doing about knives? Over 12% of the people murdered in 2014 were killed with knives.
Knives are an essential part of ordinary things like cooking. Much like cars and driving.

Guns, not so much.

Therefore, you are going to do nothing about weapons that account for 12% of the murders because you think they are "part of ordinary things like cooking." That's a lame reason, to put it mildly.

If someone gave you the choice of being shot in the head, stabbed to death, burned to death or being beaten to death with bear hands, which method would you choose?

Quetzal

Not necessarily. Perhaps fewer people would be killed with guns, but that is just an assumption and depends on what you mean by "less available." The murder rate could remain the same; with the decrease in gun homicide there could be an increase in knife homicide. For example, according to Australian crime statistics: "Firearm use has declined by more than half since 1989-90 as a proportion of homicide methods, and there has been an upward trend in the use of knives and sharp instruments, which in 2006-07 accounted for nearly half of all homicide victims."

weapon_trends.png

Who is arguing the right to bear arms is the right to commit murder or be negligent? Not me. There are laws against murder and criminal negligence already. You seem to believe a woman's right to privacy is the right to abort (murder) her child.

Apply some common sense to a fact: If any law infringes on a constitutional right, that law is void. I don't have to pretend that a void law is bad.

The same can be said for knives, cars and other things. I also posted statistics on negligent deaths caused by physicians being approximately 400,000 per year. Your focus on guns is irrational.

That's obviously not true, and it's not relevant enough to the topic to debate. .

Therefore, you are going to do nothing about weapons that account for 12% of the murders because you think they are "part of ordinary things like cooking." That's a lame reason, to put it mildly.

If someone gave you the choice of being shot in the head, stabbed to death, burned to death or being beaten to death with bear hands, which method would you choose?
I don't think I have ever seen someone use such an unreasonable defense for guns anywhere. That says a lot.

This Charming Manc

The highlighted bit is important her, as a proportion.

However if you look at the overall graph of homicides in australia

http://www.aic.gov.au/media_library/aic/research/homicide/homiciderate2.png

You would see its a higher proportion of a smaller number, which seems to be about a static amount, comparing the two graphs

However guns shows a drop as a proportion in a falling number with suggests the drop is steeper than your graph would suggest.

weapon_trends.png

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame

If you look at what I have actually said you would know that I am not trying to ban guns. I am trying to find a way to make it much harder for murderes ro actually get and keep guns. By necessity, it will have to be invasive. Many don't like that but you are not willing to do something completely different than what we are currently doing, nothing will change.