Interview a Member Thread

Quincy

EDIT: Thread UPDATE:

Town Heretic graciously volunteered to maintain a closed thread that will update periodically, with new interviews of members. This way the thread stays dedicated to the interviews. This thread is now effectively a discussion/request thread :) . Thanks for taking an interest in the project and please help us make it even more interesting by contributing your interview ;) !

Here is the link to the Archive Thread

InterviewArchive

Continuing on the path of trying to bring different threads with a community focus to the forum, I thought I'd introduce one of the more interesting threads I tend to find on other forums. So here is how it works:

I'm starting off with three interviews of forum members Arthur Brain, Thunder's Muse and Coffee is King. I'll also post an interview a friend did of myself, to be fair.

From there, if you want to be interviewed, just post in the thread and I'll send you a pm. Depending on how many people want to be interviewed, I'll post more either weekly, bi-weekly or monthly. It doesn't matter what creed or political viewpoint you have, I'll interview everyone the same with some slight tailoring to your unique personality ( I read everyone's posts, even if I don't talk to you I probably know you better than you think :chuckle: ).

Of course if you want to discuss something a member expresses in their interview, please go right ahead. If you'd like to interview someone yourself and share it, that's cool too :) . On to the interviews, I hope you all enjoying reading them and learn some things about our membership in the process :e4e: .

First up is Coffe is King

Spoiler
Quote:
James: So, Coffee is King, let's start out with some simple stuff. What inspired your screenname, as obvious as it may seem?

CiK:Pretty much the obvious. I drink about 3-4 cups of regular (black, no cream or sugar) in the morning and about 2-3 cups of decaf at night.

How did you find TOL?

Through a google search. I was looking for a politics and religion forum, and this one caught my eye. I'm glad it did.

How would you rank it among other forums you have participated in?

I am very new to forums, and am only on one other one. The styles (and discussion topics) are wildly different.

If I looked at your favorites list in your web browser, what would I likely find?

TOL, The Vault (fallout wiki), Axis History Factbook, UESP (Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages)

If you had a million dollars what would you use it for?

I would give half to the ex as she has custody of the kids. I would be able to give the Phoenix Rescue Mission more money than I normally do, as well as some other homeless shelters. Then I would buy my Mom a house and get me a nice apartment. Oh, and probably buy a Lifetime Membership on TOL.

If you could invent one thing what would it be?

A machine that could generate free electricity, thereby providing needy families with power free of charge.

If you could cure one disease, which one do you choose?

Cancer. While I have schizophrenia, it isn't deadly. I lost both of my grandparents to cancer.

What color is your room?

LOL, white.

:chuckle: Are the walls soft? J/k :)

Do you have a favorite brand for things like cars, clothing or electronics?

Actually no, but I do like Cadillac.

How would you describe your political views?

Right-wing, but largely moderate.

You list as a Christian Other, and have mentioned having unique views of your own. How would you describe these?

I also have Spiritualist (ghosts, spirits, able to speak to them) views and Animist (animals have souls, trees are aware) views.

As all our lives have a natural ebb and flow that we experience, do you recall what was the greatest test you ever faced?

Becoming a father. I only get one shot at it.

What was the happiest moment of your life?

March 1, 2010. My girls were born.

What would we all be surprised to find out about you?

I once attempted to chase down a mountain lion that came too close to our camp. I then realized after 2 hours of "stalking" it that I had no idea what I was doing and was lost with no food in the woods. Well, maybe that's not that surprising...

Finally, as you depart, care to share a piece of God given wisdom your life has taught you with the readers?

It takes 15 minutes to become a father, but a lifetime to be a daddy.

God bless, James.

God bless you too, my brother :). Thank you much!

Up next is Arthur Brain (come prepared, have popcorn! )

Spoiler

James: So, Arthur Brain, let's start out with some simple stuff. What inspired your screenname?

Arthur Brain: I think it may have been a hangover....if not it was an attempt at a jocular handle with 25% truth attached.

Did you know it is also the name of a famous cartoon character in the US aired on PBS?

I had no idea....

At least we know you don't support public broadcasting now :eek:

How did you find TOL?

Through a recommendation from a poster on CF who was also posting on here at the time. On here he was called Zadok and the rest followed....

The most addictive by far. In part that's due to the design and the sheer diversity of members both 'foes' and friend alike. Others either lack traffic or the moderation overall is either too rigid or too lax in my experience.

If I looked at your favorites list in your web browser, what would I likely find?

IMDB.com, Youtube, music sites, a chess forum and the rest is secret.....

Ah, I see. Kind of like treasure but without the map!

Plastic surgery.

After that then I'd give so much to family, friends, charity, and try to set up a recording studio.

An interesting answer to this question....

If only the one, then after consideration I'd have to say cancer.

What color is your room?

Brown.

Not really in regards to the former two as I don't drive and I'm not that fashion oriented. A pair of jeans is denim no matter what the label or price. Re: electronics. Depends on what it is. Sony for TV's and Korg for musical keyboards/synths when I have funds. Sennheiser for headphones and Nokia for phones also but I often make do with others....

Depends on the subject really though I'd mostly classify myself as 'moderate'.

You list as an Other, yet you often engage in religious debates on Christian topics. What inspires you to not use a label?

Because a label is worth nothing in itself IMO, and I don't like to be tagged according to how others think one should believe in light of such. I don't view people as how they advertise themselves but rather the content of what they put forth.

As all our lives have a natural ebb and flow that we experience, do you recall what was the greatest test you ever faced?

Well, the greatest one for me was personal so I can't go into detail, though overall I'd have to say I failed it to be quite honest. Lessons learned and all....

Before I failed the above....

That I am in fact a complete git.

Finally, as you depart, care to share a piece of God given wisdom your life has taught you with the readers?

Think things through and don't act on rash impulse alone, where to do so can hurt others and lead to loss and regret. Consider your actions and words before embarking on such and how it could affect others along with yourself.

Next up is Thunder's Muse :)

Spoiler

James: So, Thunder's Muse, let's start out with some simple stuff. What inspired your screenname?

Thunder's Muse: When I met my partner, his screen name was Thunder. He is a songwriter and I inspire his music...so, Thunder's Muse

How did you find TOL?

Well. I met this guy called Quincy in a Paranormal Forum on myspace. We started chatting and became really good friends. During our many discussions on spirituality, he told me about TOL and suggested I join...and here I am!

And those were fun times, I sometimes miss myspace.

I have tried other forums but have not found the same connection and acceptance as I have on TOL. I think people are more free to be themselves here as compared to other forums where the conversation is so polite, it's almost as annoying as the mindless bickering here on TOL

Haha! Um... skincare/cosmetic websites, paranormal websites, online digital newspapers (1853-1970), cemetery listing websites, Australian history websites etc etc....

Buy a property out of town a little, settle debts, put some $$ away for my kids, give the rest away...

A time machine.

Cancer

What color is your room?

A really bland beige.

SKII, Keihls and La Mer for skincare.

Chanel foundation.

NARS cosmetics.

Uh, well..politics is probably one of my least fave subjects and Australian politics is a little different to those in America. If I had to specify, I would be kind of in the middle between liberal and conservative, I guess.

You list as a Christian Other, yet you weren't always what you'd consider Christian. What inspires you to take up the Christian faith?

Firstly, recognising that the issues I had with Christianity was more to do with the people than with God. That was an important distinction to make within myself.

Secondly, recognising that God was with me the whole time, even through the darkest moments. He never gave up on me, even when I was trying so hard to push Him away. Only someone who truly loves you does that.

Well, I've had more than my fair share of testing moments but I would say having to go through therapy and facing all those past shadows again. There were days when I would have to force myself to get in the car and drive there because I knew what the session was going to involve. It was a rollercoaster of emotions and memories and thoughts that kept me emotionally drained for a good 9 months. As much as I wanted to give up, I had to keep going....

That's easy. There have been 3... each time I gave birth to one of my children.

I scored a perfect 100% in my Physical Education exam in year 12. I was the only girl in the class.

God knows more than we do. Rest in Him and all will be well.

That concludes my interviews for the meantime. In the next post I'll post my own as I wanted to make this post about the three folks who helped start the thread. Hope you all enjoyed reading what they shared :) .

Last edited:

Arthur Brain

Outstanding idea for a thread good sir! One must apologize for one's own expression at points for language almost bordering on the uncouth....most unseemly. One also has to doff one's hat towards TM in regards to the invention aspect of said interview. A device for traversing temporal mechanics?! Good show! :BRAVO:

One looks forward to further contributions as such progress. I say....

:e4e:

Quincy

An interview of myself conducted by a friend.

Spoiler
So, Quincy, let's start out with some simple stuff. What inspired your screenname?

James: Well, it's my father's name. People in my family have just always called me that and eventually it picked up among my friends.

How did you find TOL?

Haha, well a member named Kimberlyann invited me. She is basically a neighbor of mine and she thought I'd be able to raise some hell. Turns out I grew to like the place fairly quickly, so I never did that for too long. It's a great website.

It is without a doubt the best. It's ran great and is far more stable than most forums. It's also very addictive because of the rate of new posts coming in. It's not got the most active members among websites I've used, but the post come quicker than any other. It helps to hold my attention.

Lots of stuff. There is Canyourunit which basically is a test for your PC to see if it will run various computer games. Various links to computer game mod sites are in there. Then I also have links to pdfs on some texts I like to read or reference.

Honestly? I have no clue what I'd use it for. I've rarely had more than a grand to my name so I have no ideal what I'd do with money if I had it.

Probably a new medium to create art with.

Liver diseases. Most of my family members have died from it or nearly have. I'll probably die from it myself one day soon.

What color is your room?

Black, it helps me to sleep.

Sure do. Nintendo for video games, Ford for vehicles and for clothing I tend go with whatever I find at Penny's.

I'd describe them as being anarcho-capitalist, though I tend to go with paleolibertarian as some form of government is required in this world of ours.

You have listed as Christian Other, yet you flip flop between faiths often. What is with the fickle faiths, James? Are you playing games?

Well, :chuckle:, darn you lol. My mind races a lot and I have intense mood swings, so I have a hard time staying in one paradigm of thought. I'm doing well with my current mindset with faith in Christ and the teachings though.

What is the Other for?

Because I am a Christian Deist and also have some animist views. For example, I don't believe God any longer performs miracles other than epiphanies. His incarnation as Christ was the last. I also don't believe in the Trinity, Jesus is a form God took, to me. Doctrines like original sin and a physical melinnial reign are just erroneous to me as well. Jesus accepted our curse for us on the cross and is reigning spiritually, in my view. I see only one Gospel as said by Jesus's own words and it doesn't conflict with reason and rationality to my eyes, like many man made creeds.

Well, I won't give major details, but my ex wife left my daughter and I. This resulted in the withdrawl of my sponsorship for Citizenship in Canada, where we were living. So I had to let my in-laws adopt my daughter, while I was deported from the country. Surviving the few years after that was my greatest test.

I'm always happy, to a detriment to myself.

I actually have a low IQ. Several points below my peer's averages. The only reason most people don't pick up on it is because I've been blessed with teachers who took the extra time to help me find ways to learn things and a mentor who goes out of his way to explain probably way too much stuff to me. The only things I am good at is communication and the arts (painting, drawing, poetry, etc etc)

Never let this world bring you down. The outside world is at best quaint, at worst vile. Keep your soul safe and your faith strong and nothing can bring you down. You can only survive and become stronger if you persist, if this world claims your body, you're going to be set free.

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Terrific "Get to Know" thread with a twist. I hope you keep it up. Hint: AMR would be a good one to interview if he'd allow it. I think Knight would be one a great many people wouldn't mind a larger window into. :thumb: That sort of thing. Carry on. :eek:

Quincy

Terrific "Get to Know" thread with a twist. I hope you keep it up. Hint: AMR would be a good one to interview if he'd allow it. I think Knight would be one a great many people wouldn't mind a larger window into. :thumb: That sort of thing. Carry on. :eek:

I agree with you, they would be excellent additions to the thread. I'll give it some time to see if they post, if not I'll send them a message. I'd also suggest yourself sir, as not many websites have an attorney with a gift of conversation like your own. Down for it?

would this help me get into the hall of fame?

Peace to you good sir/madame......... but no. No it won't :chuckle: . It might help us understand you better :)

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I agree with you, they would be excellent additions to the thread. I'll give it some time to see if they post, if not I'll send them a message.
You should. And if people insist on derails you should close the thread and make it by invitation only. It's too good an idea to let people muck it up...and if your status won't allow it and you decide that's the only way to defend the concept let me know and I'll open one for this/your use only and close it between your posts.

I'd also suggest yourself sir, as not many websites have an attorney with a gift of conversation like your own. Down for it?
At your service, though I'd think I'm a worn topic on that front.

Quincy

You should. And if people insist on derails you should close the thread and make it by invitation only. It's too good an idea to let people muck it up...and if your status won't allow it and you decide that's the only way to defend the concept let me know and I'll open one for this/your use only and close it between your posts.

Wow, that would be awesome of you, if needed. We'll see how it goes and if it gets too bad we might do this. Detractors usually leave my threads because I really have no desire to argue with anyone and am usually honest and earnest in my posting :chuckle: .

At your service, though I'd think I'm a worn topic on that front.

Alright, I'll send you a pm tonight!

Excellent! :up:

Question 1: Why are you so gay?

Well, in the future and if you're serious about this, I ask that you PM your questions to me and I'll answer them legitly without altering anything, then post them in here. A post by post interview will just break up the flow of the thread and I suppose there is the off chance you aren't being very serious about this anyways.

To answer your question, and this is more for community at large with new people who probably haven't read me state this when I have before or might think I am a woman because of the avatars I use or my personality, but I have a complex intersex condition. My hormones are balanced female and some attributes of my physical appearance are feminine, so I tend to gravitate more towards feminine things and actions than I do masculine. My legal sex is male however and I see myself as male and I'm only attracted to females, so I am not a homosexual.

Now, if you do have other questions, PM them to me and I'll answer them sincerely if you are being serious and the questions aren't profane or whatever. I don't want to break up the flow of the thread.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Outstanding idea for a thread good sir! One must apologize for one's own expression at points for language almost bordering on the uncouth....most unseemly. One also has to doff one's hat towards TM in regards to the invention aspect of said interview. A device for traversing temporal mechanics?! Good show! :BRAVO:

One looks forward to further contributions as such progress. I say....

How long could this interview be, anyway? I imagine it'll go something like this:

*clears throat*

Quincy: So, AB, tell us a bit about your childhood.

AB: :plain:

Quincy: That's quite fascinating really. The Queen has always been your inspiration then?

Quincy: What events in your life have most influenced your theological leanings?

Quincy: I find that hard to believe! The ears extended a full THREE feet from the rabbit's head?! That's incredible! Tell us more!

Quincy: *shakes head* Fascinating! Absolutely fascinating. Let's move on the your sense of humoUr. When, exactly, do you expect to gain one?

Quincy: *laughing* Well, it's a lofty goal to be sure! It's been so nice talking with you today, AB. You are a great, albeit :plain: addition to TOL. Have you and final comments or words of wisdom for the readers?

Quincy: I couldn't have said it more plainly myself. Thank you, sir, it's been a real pleasure.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
How long could this interview be, anyway? I imagine it'll go something like this:

*clears throat*

Quincy: So, AB, tell us a bit about your childhood.

Quincy: That's quite fascinating really. The Queen has always been your inspiration then?

Quincy: What events in your life have most influenced your theological leanings?

Quincy: I find that hard to believe! The ears extended a full THREE feet from the rabbit's head?! That's incredible! Tell us more!

Quincy: *shakes head* Fascinating! Absolutely fascinating. Let's move on the your sense of humoUr. When, exactly, do you expect to gain one?

Quincy: *laughing* Well, it's a lofty goal to be sure! It's been so nice talking with you today, AB. You are a great, albeit :plain: addition to TOL. Have you and final comments or words of wisdom for the readers?

Quincy: I couldn't have said it more plainly myself. Thank you, sir, it's been a real pleasure.

POTD! :first: