ECT In spite of Gal 2, Peter considered himself apostle to the Gentiles

Sonnet

That's your problem. Instead, read and accept what you read in Acts 21:20-24, noting there's no hint of rebuke nor correction.

Is it possible that Jews may continue with such if they wish - that Paul wasn't telling them to desist - but that if a Jew decided not to then such was okay?

God's Truth

...even though Peter is not saying to obey the old law WITH THE PURIFICATION/CEREMONIAL WORKS?

Show where Peter tells anyone to get circumcised, and sacrifice animals, and observe special days.

Show it now or concede that Peter tells us to obey Jesus---as we all should.

God's Truth

Peter tells us about the NEW LAW, the LAW OF CHRIST, the SAME LAW that Paul obeyed.

1 Corinthians 9:21 To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God's law but am under Christ's law), so as to win those not having the law.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Peter tells us about the NEW LAW, the LAW OF CHRIST, the SAME LAW that Paul obeyed.

1 Corinthians 9:21 To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God's law but am under Christ's law), so as to win those not having the law.
Peter learned that from Paul

john w

Hall of Fame
The simple point is, God told Peter to kill and eat. Peter is the one who would not be ceremonially unclean if he ate what the law forbade.
God had cleansed what was unclean. If Peter couldn't become unclean in the presence of gentiles, there would be no distinctions between Jews and gentiles (Acts 10:34).

Now here's the dilemma. If Peter was still under the law, and went to eat with the gentiles, he could become unclean. So you'd have a person who God hasn't accepted by faith, preaching to people who God wants to accept by faith. The gentiles would regard themselves as unclean to Peter, yet not unclean where God is concerned. The man God uses to deliver the message of freedom, is not actually free himself.

Can't you see how absurd this is?

Acts 10:28 KJV

And he said unto them, Ye know how that it is an unlawful thing for a man that is a Jew to keep company, or come unto one of another nation; but God hath shewed me that I should not call any man common or unclean.

Peter followed the dietary restrictions, according to the law, and he, and all the other early Acts believers went to the temple, according to the law, he observed the "appointed times," including Pentecost, as did thousands of the Acts believers("zealous for the law"), according to the law, despite spin/denial to the contrary, per direct orders, from the risen, glorified, Lord Jesus Christ, during his "40 day boot camp."

that I should not call any man common or unclean.

And notice that the vision was in symbols, and it pertained to men, not food, or animals. Pete was being shown to take "the way" message beyond, now, not just within the narrow confines which had operated up to that point in God's plan. It had NADA to do with removing the restrictions on forbidden food, i.e., that it was "clean" now. There is NADA verse in the book, that teaches, that the Lord Jesus Christ, Pistol Pete, or any of the apostles cleansed, or ate that which God had declared to be forbidden and unclean. They were all following the dietary restrictions, according to the law.

God's Truth

Acts 10:28 KJV

And he said unto them, Ye know how that it is an unlawful thing for a man that is a Jew to keep company, or come unto one of another nation; but God hath shewed me that I should not call any man common or unclean.

Peter followed the dietary restrictions, according to the law, and he, and all the other early Acts believers went to the temple, according to the law, he observed the "appointed times," including Pentecost, as did thousands of the Acts believers("zealous for the law"), according to the law, despite spin/denial to the contrary, per direct orders, from the risen, glorified, Lord Jesus Christ, during his "40 day boot camp."

that I should not call any man common or unclean.

And notice that the vision was in symbols, and it pertained to men, not food, or animals. Pete was being shown to take "the way" message beyond, now, not just within the narrow confines which had operated up to that point in God's plan. It had NADA to do with removing the restrictions on forbidden food, i.e., that it was "clean" now. There is NADA verse in the book, that teaches, that the Lord Jesus Christ, Pistol Pete, or any of the apostles cleansed, or ate that which God had declared to be forbidden and unclean. They were all following the dietary restrictions, according to the law.

The earthly temple was still standing and the Pharisees and teachers of the law ENFORCED THE OLD LAW.

Peter was afraid of the Jews and his time to die was not yet.

That does not mean Peter taught another gospel than Paul

Even Paul made sure he kept the temple law before entering it!

john w

Hall of Fame
The earthly temple was still standing and the Pharisees and teachers of the law ENFORCED THE OLD LAW.

The child of the devil disagrees with me, a forever justified saint. Surprise, surprise, Gomer, as we therefore all know that I am correct.

Take a seat, Bel-ette.

God's Truth

The child of the devil disagrees with me, a forever justified saint. Surprise, surprise, Gomer, as we therefore all know that I am correct.

Take a seat, Bel-ette.

Acts 24:18 I was ceremonially clean when they found me in the temple courts doing this. There was no crowd with me, nor was I involved in any disturbance.

Interplanner

Sorry, but 10:15 is saying the things are clean. It is not saying the people are clean by association.

As for the isolated incident of ch 21, I think Paul saw it as a way to get into righteous trouble that would get him the audience he wanted. This is the same person who wrote Phil 3 and in Col and Gal calls the law the 'weak and miserable elements of the world.'

Of course in 10:28, Peter's own commentary is that unclean was about people, but not so the original account. It is clear enough about food to list which ones, and last I checked, humans did not have 4 feet nor reptilian features nor the ability to fly.
The people (the Gentiles) are no longer 'unclean' by being associated with those kinds of food.

God's Truth

Sorry, but 10:15 is saying the things are clean. It is not saying the people are clean by association.
What in the world are you talking about? Where are you getting that I said that? You are arguing against imaginary things.

God makes people clean who come to Him through Jesus' blood.

As for the isolated incident of ch 21, I think Paul saw it as a way to get into righteous trouble that would get him the audience he wanted. This is the same person who wrote Phil 3 and in Col and Gal calls the law the 'weak and miserable elements of the world.'

Of course in 10:28, Peter's own commentary is that unclean was about people, but not so the original account. It is clear enough about food to list them, and last I checked, humans did not have 4 feet nor reptilian features nor the ability to fly.

We have to go through Jesus' blood to be made clean.

God was preparing Peter to go to Cornelius the Gentile's house.

The dietary laws are about being separate from people who are not circumcised.

God says not to call anything unclean that He has made clean.

Jesus told his apostles that the Pharisees and the teachers of the law SAT IN MOSES' seat, and Jesus said to do EVERYTHING THEY SAID.

Jesus also told them that the earthly temple would be DESTROYED.

The Pharisees and teachers of the law ENFORCED the old law for the temple.

Paul and the other Apostles did want to reach the Jews to tell them about Jesus.

I am not sure where you think you have corrected me.

I can prove everything that I said with scripture.

Made clean by Jesus' blood...1 John 1:7
But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin.

Jesus said do everything the Pharisees say...Matthew 23:3
So you must be careful to do everything they tell you. But do not do what they do, for they do not practice what they preach.

They sit in Moses' seat...Matthew 23:2
"The teachers of the law and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat.

Moses' seat is about the PURIFICATION/CEREMONIAL LAWS.

The temple would be destroyed...Matthew 24:2
"Do you see all these things?" he asked. "Truly I tell you, not one stone here will be left on another; every one will be thrown down."

Peter was afraid of the Jews...Galatians 2:12
For before certain men came from James, he used to eat with the Gentiles. But when they arrived, he began to draw back and separate himself from the Gentiles because he was afraid of those who belonged to the circumcision group.

Interplanner

What in the world are you talking about? Where are you getting that I said that? You are arguing against imaginary things.

God makes people clean who come to Him through Jesus' blood.

I"m answering things John W but I have him on ignore for being rude, dismissive, and obnoxious. That's before discussing theology.

We have to go through Jesus' blood to be made clean.

Jesus told his apostles that the Pharisees and the teachers of the law SAT IN MOSES' seat, and Jesus said to do EVERYTHING THEY SAID.

Jesus also told them that the earthly temple would be DESTROYED.

The Pharisees and teachers of the law ENFORCED the old law for the temple.

Paul and the other Apostles did want to reach the Jews to tell them about Jesus.

I am not sure where you think you have corrected me.

I can prove everything that I said with scripture.

Made clean by Jesus' blood...1 John 1:7
But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin.

Jesus said do everything the Pharisees say...Matthew 23:3
So you must be careful to do everything they tell you. But do not do what they do, for they do not practice what they preach.

They sit in Moses' seat...Matthew 23:2
"The teachers of the law and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat.

Moses' seat is about the PURIFICATION/CEREMONIAL LAWS.

The temple would be destroyed...Matthew 24:2
"Do you see all these things?" he asked. "Truly I tell you, not one stone here will be left on another; every one will be thrown down."

Peter was afraid of the Jews...Galatians 2:12
For before certain men came from James, he used to eat with the Gentiles. But when they arrived, he began to draw back and separate himself from the Gentiles because he was afraid of those who belonged to the circumcision group.

Interplanner

There is a Levitical sense to clean in some NT passages. I don't think I Jn 1 is one of them. He means that the debt of sin has been taken away. He does not mean perfectionism.

Danoh

I wonder if you realize that in a way, you kind of touched on/made the Millennial sacrifices argument...

God's Truth

I wonder if you realize that in a way, you kind of touched on/made the Millennial sacrifices argument...

What do you mean? I sure would like to know exactly what you are saying in case I can correct you for misunderstanding, or have agreement with you for understanding.

God's Truth

There is a Levitical sense to clean in some NT passages. I don't think I Jn 1 is one of them. He means that the debt of sin has been taken away. He does not mean perfectionism.

Christians are made perfect and holy:

Hebrews 10:10 and by that will, we have been made holy through the sacrifice of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

Hebrews 10:14 because by one sacrifice he has made perfect forever those who are being made holy

Hebrews 11:40 since God had planned something better for us so that only together with us would they be made perfect.

Hebrews 12:13 And so Jesus also suffered outside the city gate to make the people holy through his own blood.

Hebrews 12:23 to the church of the firstborn, whose names are written in heaven. You have come to God, the Judge of all, to the spirits of the righteous made perfect,

Hebrews 2:11 Both the one who makes people holy and those who are made holy are of the same family. So Jesus is not ashamed to call them brothers and sisters.

John 17:19 John 17:19 For them I sanctify myself, that they too may be truly sanctified

Ephesians 5:26 to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word,

After we are made perfect and holy, we are to live up to that:

2 Peter 1:10
Therefore, my brothers and sisters, make every effort to confirm your calling and election.

Philippians 3:16 Only let us live up to what we have already attained.

Ephesians 4:1 As a prisoner for the Lord, then, I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received.

Colossians 1:10
so that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God,

Colossians 2:6
So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live your lives in him,

1 Thessalonians 2:12
encouraging, comforting and urging you to live lives worthy of God, who calls you into his kingdom and glory.

1 Thessalonians 4:1
As for other matters, brothers and sisters, we instructed you how to live in order to please God, as in fact you are living. Now we ask you and urge you in the Lord Jesus to do this more and more.

King James Bible
2 Thessalonians 1:11 Wherefore also we pray always for you, that our God would count you worthy of this calling, and fulfil all the good pleasure of his goodness, and the work of faith with power:
2 Thessalonians 1:5 It is a clear evidence of God’s righteous judgment that you will be counted worthy of God’s kingdom, for which you also are suffering,

Danoh

He said "a...sense."

In other words "in a way, kind of..."

As in a passage like...

2 Corinthians 7:1 Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.

The Levitical had that also, but different.

way 2 go

The simple point is, God told Peter to kill and eat. Peter is the one who would not be ceremonially unclean if he ate what the law forbade.
God had cleansed what was unclean. If Peter couldn't become unclean in the presence of gentiles, there would be no distinctions between Jews and gentiles (Acts 10:34).

can you show Jesus or Peter declaring gentiles
no longer enemies or clean
before this
Act 10:15 And the voice spoke to him again the second time, What God has made clean, you do not call common.

I am sure you believe it

Now here's the dilemma. If Peter was still under the law, and went to eat with the gentiles, he could become unclean. So you'd have a person who God hasn't accepted by faith, preaching to people who God wants to accept by faith. The gentiles would regard themselves as unclean to Peter, yet not unclean where God is concerned. The man God uses to deliver the message of freedom, is not actually free himself.

Can't you see how absurd this is?

peter states it is an unlawful thing for a man that is a Jew to keep company, or come unto one of another nation

Act 10:28 And he said to them, You know that it is an unlawful thing for a man, a Jew to keep company with or to come near to one of another nation. But God has shown me not to call any man common or unclean.