How the Gospel Works

God's Truth

When someone wants to be saved they need to know WHAT TO DO to get saved.

Nowhere anywhere are we just supposed to talk ourselves into being saved and then call that faith.

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I am not adding anything.

Show where we are told we do not have to obey.

All those centuries God telling us to obey are worthless now.

All that time Jesus spent walking the earth telling us to what to do is worthless now.

Paul didn't go against God and Jesus and preach only believe.

We have to believe that we are cleaned by Jesus' blood for the sins we repent of doing. We no longer have to clean ourselves just to go to the temple to worship God for we become the temple.

It would help you to show scriptures such as this;

John 3:36New American Standard Bible (NASB)

36 He who believes in the Son has eternal life; but he who does not obey the Son will not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him.”

God's Truth

It would help you to show scriptures such as this;

36 He who believes in the Son has eternal life; but he who does not obey the Son will not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him.”

Jesus didn't say only believe.

…unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven; Matthew 5:32.

…unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven; Matthew 18:3.

…unless you forgive your brother or sister from your heart; Matthew 18:35.

…unless you repent, you too will all perish; Luke 13:3.

… unless they are born of water and the Spirit; John 3:5.

Unless I wash you, you have no part with me; John 13:8.

…unless it dies; 1 Corinthians 15:36.

...if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you; Matthew 6:14

...if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins; Matthew 6:15

...If you continue to follow my teaching, you are really my disciples;
John 8:31

...if you do them you will be blessed; John 13:17

If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commands and remain in his love; John 15:10

...if you do what I command you are my friends; John 15:14

...if we obey His commands---we may know that we know Him; 1 John 2:3

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

…unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven; Matthew 5:32.

…unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven; Matthew 18:3.

...if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you; Matthew 6:14

...if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins; Matthew 6:15

If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commands and remain in his love; John 15:10

You missed the point.

God's Truth

You missed the point.

I didn't miss what you meant.

We have to believe that we have to obey Jesus.

Jesus is God.

We have to believe that.

That means we have to obey Jesus.

Just like we have to obey God the Father.

Lon

I've posted this several times in the past, Lon, TO YOUR ATTENTION, along with similar quotes by him. You have to be pretending to be ignorant of it by now. It leads me to doubt your sincerity.
1) I don't remember reading this quote. You 'can' accuse me of missing it. I'm pretty sure 'if' you posted such, I said either I didn't agree with him on this, or we didn't talk about it and I missed it. I do not believe in double-predestination.

I dunno, Lon...maybe your sig or something.

Once again I have to doubt your sincerity.
Originally, a pastor friend and not a Calvinist, asked me to pass the word along. His point, as a nonCalvinist, was that in his PhDiv opinion, there is nothing to get hung up on, thus 'okay.' I did so. Later, he changed servers so I simply posted to another one. It doesn't say "Is John Calvin okay." I've said many times, if something doesn't make me a Calvinist in someone's eyes, It really doesn't trouble me. I disagree with Luther and John Calvin and Keith Green sometimes. I'm not sure what that makes me, then. :idunno:
Incidentally, don't fail to catch what Calvin said there: if you doubt double predestination, you're impious.
It doesn't matter, let's talk scriptures instead? If you believe even John Calvin wouldn't call me a Calvinist, the label means not a lot in such a case. Again: to the scriptures. Why talk about systematic theologies so much in a thread about the gospel. Try this, tell me what it is and we'll see if either of our perspectives 'actually' make a difference. "If" this is not a salvific disagreement, it is always sad to me that something like "Lutheran" could get in the way of speaking about or sharing the gospel. When I have taught cult classes, I always spend 3 weeks on the truth, one, maybe two weeks on the false. Why? Because when one knows what is true, they can easily discern what is false. Share the scriptures in season and out, and be ready to give a reason (Him, His gospel) for the hope that is within it. I tend to leave these threads and/or not participate in them. It is always sad when these lose sight of the Lord Jesus Christ and His Salvation. That's what this thread 'should' be about. -Lon

Right Divider

Body part

You should believe the gospel of the grace of God and get saved.

God's Truth

:up: This is what the thread should be about.

Ephesians 2:8,9 Romans 11:6

Paul is speaking about the works of the law that had separated the Jews from the rest of the world, the purification works.

The purification works of the law no longer justify anyone, for now only Jesus' blood cleans those who want to be saved.

Paul was not saying, "No more of obedience".

God's Truth

I would like to ask those who go against me how they expect a person who wants to be saved to be saved?

What if a person wants to be saved and never ever heard your rendition of the gospel?

God's Truth

I know how I found God's Truth.

I was raised Catholic, studied Jehovah Witness beliefs, got involved with the Mormon church, heard preachers in the Pentecostal denomination, went to Nazarene church, went to a FourSquare church, and other churches, including non denominational, heard TV preachers, listened to what other people had to say about their beliefs, heard about believe only, etc...and when I wanted God's Truth and not some denomination's truth, I found it.

How did I find God's Truth among all these many teachings?

I found it by getting Jesus' teachings from the Bible and doing what he says.

glorydaz

I would like to ask those who go against me how they expect a person who wants to be saved to be saved?

What if a person wants to be saved and never ever heard your rendition of the gospel?

Don't take it so personally, GT. We aren't going against YOU. We are merely trying to explain that when you claim salvation is a result of man's efforts (in any way), you are going against God's Grace and His GIFT of salvation and eternal life.

God's Truth

Being persuaded to believe is not our "doing" anything. The power to persuade is in the Gospel.

Which is the definition of the obedience of FAITH.

I believed in God and Jesus since I was a small child in the Catholic denomination.

So try again.

I was too young to know about all the false teachings of the Catholic church, so all I did was believe and I was not saved.