How do we know which scriptures are inspired by God?

Ben Masada

Except that the RCC didn't exist at the time. Unless you are actually suggesting they wrote the entire thing, which is also impossible since the texts have been dated to precede them as well.

If they were Catholics or not, anyway, the whole of the NT was written by Hellenist former disciples of Paul. The point is that not a single Jew wrote a single page of the NT aka the gospel of Paul.

RBBI

I believe I asked for an EYEWITNESS to the resurrection of Jesus, not a witness. Witnesses are usually from hear-say. Eyewitnesses are supposed to have actually seen the event in process. There was none in the case of Jesus. So, you have no choice but to appeal to faith. But you must not forget that to believe by faith is the same as to believe without understanding. According to Paul himself in II Cor. 5:7 Christians are supposed to walk by faith and not by sight. If sight is given here as opposite to faith and, sight means understanding, it is only obvious that "by faith," one walks in the dark.

I thought you were asking for an eyewitness to Paul being appointed as overseer. Topics changed and I was unaware. Sight does not mean understanding, unless you are referring to the kind of sight given to you by the Holy Ghost, and I'm satisfied you don't. You have never actually seen G-d, yet you believe, so you have faith and presumably don't count yourself as being one who walks in the dark.

RBBI

If they were Catholics or not, anyway, the whole of the NT was written by Hellenist former disciples of Paul. The point is that not a single Jew wrote a single page of the NT aka the gospel of Paul.

And you get this idea from WHAT? All His disciples were Jewish and it was THEIR witness that was recorded, not just Paul's.

Ben Masada

I thought you were asking for an eyewitness to Paul being appointed as overseer. Topics changed and I was unaware. Sight does not mean understanding, unless you are referring to the kind of sight given to you by the Holy Ghost, and I'm satisfied you don't. You have never actually seen G-d, yet you believe, so you have faith and presumably don't count yourself as being one who walks in the dark.

Oh no RBBI! I do not believe in God by faith but by understanding according to Physics and Logic. Therefore, I know. When one knows he does not need to believe. He knows. I know, for instance, that God exists and caused the whole universe to exist. Who could have caused the universe to exist were not for the Creator? No one could. Could the universe have caused itself to exist? Absolutely not! For the universe to have caused itself to exist it had to exist to do so. If it already existed, it would have no need to further cause itself to exist. Bottom line, only the Creator could have caused the universe to exist from outside the universe of course! Hence, I feel the certainty within myself about the existence of God. It means I walk by sight, not by faith.

Ben Masada

And you get this idea from WHAT? All His disciples were Jewish and it was THEIR witness that was recorded, not just Paul's.

I get this idea from reading the NT. Then, when I put it together with being Jewish, I come to unbeatable conclusions. That's besides other points like for instance, Matthew 9:9. If you read that text without any Christian preconceived notions, it is entirely impossible that Matthew the apostle of Jesus could have written that gospel. Then, the Hellenist mind comes into the scene when you read Matthew 1:18, another totally impossible Jewish evidence.

RBBI

Oh no RBBI! I do not believe in God by faith but by understanding according to Physics and Logic. Therefore, I know. When one knows he does not need to believe. He knows. I know, for instance, that God exists and caused the whole universe to exist. Who could have caused the universe to exist were not for the Creator? No one could. Could the universe have caused itself to exist? Absolutely not! For the universe to have caused itself to exist it had to exist to do so. If it already existed, it would have no need to further cause itself to exist. Bottom line, only the Creator could have caused the universe to exist from outside the universe of course! Hence, I feel the certainty within myself about the existence of God. It means I walk by sight, not by faith.

Essentially what you're saying is you have faith in what you know of physics and logic, both abstract ideas that you can't literally see, but you can see the results of. Moses couldn't see G-d but he saw the effects of the burning bush without a cause, and what he saw caused him to believe. He continued with that mindset, as he proved when he disobeyed G-d preferring to SEE something cause the effect, rather than take His Word for it with faith, and it brought about his ultimate death and forfeiture of the promised land entry.

What I'm telling you is that just as Eve fell in the garden to the lust of the eys, so did Moses, and so will you if you don't begin to receive by faith in what you CAN'T see. And so it is written, the just shall live by faith.

beameup

So, you have no choice but to appeal to faith. But you must not forget that to believe by faith is the same as to believe without understanding. According to Paul himself in II Cor. 5:7 Christians are supposed to walk by faith and not by sight. If sight is given here as opposite to faith and, sight means understanding, it is only obvious that "by faith," one walks in the dark.

Abraham believed God "by faith" and that was accounted to him as righteousness. It's always been the same, God requires "faith". I suggest you read Hebrews chapter 11 for many examples from the Tanakh.

Elia

Abraham believed God "by faith" and that was accounted to him as righteousness. It's always been the same, God requires "faith". I suggest you read Hebrews chapter 11 for many examples from the Tanakh.

Bs"d

But first he used his God given brains to figure out which God to worship.

He left the prevalent idolatry he grew up in, and worshipped the one and only true God Y-H-W-H.

Hanging on to whatever religion you grew up in, without ever examining whether or not it is idolatry, is not getting you anywhere.

When I ask you for rational reasons why the NT is inspired by God, you cannot come up with anything.

Therefor your religion is an accident of birth. If you would have been born in a Muslim country, you would now have been defending Mohammed and Allah.

That makes you religion totally worthless. It is build on nothing. It lacks a foundation.

Use your brain, that's why God gave it to you. Not in order to switch it off when it comes to religion and to believe that 1 + 1 + 1 = 1.

There is no profit in believing idiocy.

"O Y-H-W-H, my strength and my fortress, my refuge in the day of affliction, the Gentiles shall come to You from the ends of the earth and say, 'Surely our fathers have inherited lies, worthlessness and unprofitable things.' Will a man make gods for himself, which are not gods?"
Jeremiah 16:19

Ben Masada

The book of Hebrews is from the pen of Paul. Paul's writings could not walk parallel with the Tanach. The books of Hebrews and Galatians are the best as Replacement Theology is concerned.

Regarding Abraham, James in chapter 2 says that he was justified by his obedience to God's Words.

Ben Masada

Essentially what you're saying is you have faith in what you know of physics and logic, both abstract ideas that you can't literally see, but you can see the results of. Moses couldn't see G-d but he saw the effects of the burning bush without a cause, and what he saw caused him to believe. He continued with that mindset, as he proved when he disobeyed G-d preferring to SEE something cause the effect, rather than take His Word for it with faith, and it brought about his ultimate death and forfeiture of the promised land entry.

What I'm telling you is that just as Eve fell in the garden to the lust of the eys, so did Moses, and so will you if you don't begin to receive by faith in what you CAN'T see. And so it is written, the just shall live by faith.

You are wrong because, Physics and Logic are only the means I use to prove the existence of HaShem. The statement which says, "The just shall live by faith," it is an euphemism for trust. If what you have faith in does not happen, you are to blame for a faulty faith. If what you trust fails at the end to satisfy your expectations, the fault is not yours but of the thing you trusted. That's the difference between faith and trust. So, what happened with Abraham was trust in God's promises, not faith. Faith was that of Paul's when he declared, "If the dead is not raised, let us eat and drink for tomorrow we die" (I Cor.15:32)Conditional faith.

beameup

The book of Hebrews is from the pen of Paul. Paul's writings could not walk parallel with the Tanach. The books of Hebrews and Galatians are the best as Replacement Theology is concerned.

Regarding Abraham, James in chapter 2 says that he was justified by his obedience to God's Words.

The very first word in any of Paul's Epistles is PAUL.
Hebrews therefore was NOT written by Paul -- not even his "style".

Hebrews was written to HEBREWS, and the message
is to "press-on" for National Repentance and Salvation of Israel,
so that Messiah can set-up his everlasting Kingdom in Israel

You have been "misled"...

Ben Masada

The very first word in any of Paul's Epistles is PAUL.
Hebrews therefore was NOT written by Paul -- not even his "style".

Hebrews was written to HEBREWS, and the message
is to "press-on" for National Repentance and Salvation of Israel,
so that Messiah can set-up his everlasting Kingdom in Israel

You have been "misled"...

The book of Hebrews was written by Paul. The style is Pauline and you can't see it because you cannot read the NT without Christian preconceived notions. The reason why Paul wrote that book anonymously was to protect his few followers in Jerusalem. Paul had been banished from Jerusalem and back to Tarsus because he had caused a havoc in Jerusalem preaching the idolatry that Jesus had been the Messiah, son of God and that he had resurrected. (II Timothy 2:8; Acts 9:20)Since then, nothing from him could be allowed in Jerusalem.

Krsto

Bs"d

How do we know which scriptures are inspired by God? Is the Quran inspired by God? Or the book of Mormon? The Bhagavad Gita? The New Testament? The Old Testament?

How do we know what to believe in? What to accept, what to reject?

What criteria do you apply?

We don't know.

Elia

We don't know.

Bs"d

So you are like a blind man, groping around in the darkness.

Your religion is nothing more than an accident of birth.

Maybe about time to start using your brain?

"Serve Y-H-W-H! And if it seems evil to you to serve Y-H-W-H, choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the River, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you dwell.
But as for me and my house, we will serve Y-H-W-H!”

Joshua 24:14-15

Krsto

Bs"d

So you are like a blind man, groping around in the darkness.

Your religion is nothing more than an accident of birth.

Maybe about time to start using your brain?

"Serve Y-H-W-H! And if it seems evil to you to serve Y-H-W-H, choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the River, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you dwell.
But as for me and my house, we will serve Y-H-W-H!”

Joshua 24:14-15

My religion is the same as that of the early church before they had decided in the 5th century which writings should get the church's approval. Before that it was take your pick. What people relied on was the general message that was floating around by oral and written tradition. I know it's hard for many people to live like that because they need a sense of certainty but God has never really given us that has he?

Ben Masada

There is no "consensus" on Hebrews authorship... absolutely NONE.
One thing is for sure, it is written to YOU a Jew.

All those who deny that the Hebrew book was not written by Paul have almost zero knowledge of Paul's writings. Read all the letters of Paul to the churches to see the similarity. Replacement Theology for one, is present almost in every page
of Hebrews.

beameup

All those who deny that the Hebrew book was not written by Paul have almost zero knowledge of Paul's writings. Read all the letters of Paul to the churches to see the similarity. Replacement Theology for one, is present almost in every page
of Hebrews.

Paul starts every epistle with "Paul"
Hebrews is anonymous. The language used in
Hebrews is a unique, very formal form of Koine Greek.
It's addressed to Jews, ie: Hebrews.
View chapters 1-12 as a sermon delivered in the synagogues
of the diaspora of the Roman Empire, and you get the picture.

ThreeAngels

Let's hear the word of God on this matter, 'All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness,' 2Timothy 3:16.

Ben Masada

Paul starts every epistle with "Paul"
Hebrews is anonymous. The language used in
Hebrews is a unique, very formal form of Koine Greek.
It's addressed to Jews, ie: Hebrews.
View chapters 1-12 as a sermon delivered in the synagogues of the diaspora of the Roman Empire, and you get the picture.

Well, wrong picture! Are you implying that, because the book is addressed to the Jews, Paul did not write it? All his life as a missionary, Paul never left the Jews in peace. From his first station in Damascus and until his last in Rome, his concern was about the Jews. Read Acts 9:1,2 and 28:17.