General question for all TOL religious people

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Tattooed Theist

1 Tim 2:13 says nothing of preaching.
There are no scriptures outside of Paul's teachings that were rather specific that would make one think a woman cannot preach the word.

As I said, Priscilla was teaching men in Ephesus - not privately.

Order does not insinuate purpose, practice or paramount.

To say woman can't preach the Gospel is to remove an important evangelical approach as well as it places a cap on what and who the spirit can move in and gift.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
To say woman can't preach the Gospel is to remove an important evangelical approach as well as it places a cap on what and who the spirit can move in and gift.

Persons often like to say they are "preaching" this or that. My responses deal with the formal Scriptural matter of the ordained servant, called by God, having that calling verified by the local church, said person shepherded and examined by the local church until such time as he is ordained. If everyone is a minister, then no one is a minister. The ministerial role in Scripture is specific, with specific responsibilities and duties, such as administering the sacraments, and so on.

There is nothing in Scripture precluding any Christian from speaking to others about this life, and what the Lord has done for him or her in delivering them from their sins, just like Christ told the Gadarene Demoniac to do. But that is not the same as the great commission, where the authoritative word of the ambassador of Christ is accompanied by the seals of that Word—the sacraments. The ordained Gospel Preacher is an ambassador of Christ, and has the commission of Christ to proclaim that message of liberty
[FONT=&quot]—[/FONT]that is why Paul used the term "ambassador" in 2 Corinthians 5.18-20. When Church members speak about Christ, they speak from their own experience. This is not to be minimized, except when the lines become blurred between personal witness bearing and official functions. When ministers speak of Christ, they speak by way of Christ's commission, and carry the seals of that authority.

Evangelism, biblically defined, belongs to those who are to "do the work of the evangelist," which, we see in Scripture, as those men who have been called thereunto, examined and vetted, ordained, and commissioned by the Lord Jesus Christ through the Presbytery in the laying on of hands.

Evangelism is not to be equivocated with "being ready to give an answer for the hope we have," or being salt and light, etc. as these are the duties of all Christians. However, the way laypersons in the Church "play their part" in evangelism, is by the giving of their resources to the ministry of Word and Sacrament of the Church, inviting others to church, praying for their ministers, and so forth. The ministry of reconciliation belongs to ministers (2 Cor 5), and to place such a heavy duty upon souls unqualified for such is to require more than God has required. The layperson's 'witness' is filled with many duties which are already time-consuming such as being excellent in one's calling, ready to give an answer, salt and light, ready to give a word in season to those who need it, and other such glorious tasks.

The preceding is not some modern re-definition of evangelism, but it is the historical Protestant, as well as biblical, definition of evangelism. It has only been in the recent years, with the onslaught of Finneyism and egalitarianism that the definition has been changed, and the 'each one reach one' model disastrously employed.

AMR

musterion

If everyone is a minister, then no one is a minister.

Now to be fair, when Paul said "we" are ambassadors for Him, you and I have two ways to take that. Either he was speaking of all believers, which would tend to make all believers, in some sense, ministers as well...OR he was speaking ONLY of himself and his apostolic associates, in which case that ambassadorship ceased when those men died. Does that stand to reason?

Bard_the_Bowman

The plain and the simple of it is, Hebrews was pertaining to the "Hebrews" and not to the Body of christ.

Hey Grosnick,

I don't think that your statement is true.

I think there are clues in the book that show that the book of Hebrews was probably written to Jewish Christians...

Hebrews 3:12-14: "Beware, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief in departing from the living God; but exhort one another daily, while it is called “Today,” lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin. For we have become partakers of Christ if we hold the beginning of our confidence steadfast to the end"

...and they have suffered for the Faith...

see Hebrews 10:32-36.

Peace.

Tattooed Theist

If everyone is a minister, then no one is a minister

This has nothing to do with it.
Just because Sally is a preacher, it doesn't make Sandra a preacher.

Beyond that I don't see the relevance of the rest of what you spoke of.
Preaching and Evangelical work are not synonymous.

Therefore I don't see why your bringing evangelism into play here.