Foundation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

God's Truth

Paul tells us to train ourselves to be godly.
Does it get much clearer than that?

1 Timothy 4:7, 8 Have nothing to do with godless myths and old wives’ tales; rather, train yourself to be godly. For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Paul tells us to train ourselves to be godly.
Does it get much clearer than that?

1 Timothy 4:7, 8 Have nothing to do with godless myths and old wives’ tales; rather, train yourself to be godly. For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come.
It's never shameful to believe the true word of GOD that it is by the obedience and righteousness of one.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Can you show a scripture that says obeying is wrong?
GT, as Christians we are under the covenant of grace. We don't have to do anything after having faith. The works that follow faith should be the natural consequence of having faith, they shouldn't be forced.

Back in Genesis 15, we read that the covenant of grace given to Abram was one directional, as only God passed through the animals, and not Abram also, showing us that the only one who needed to do something is God Himself.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
GT, as Christians we are under the covenant of grace. We don't have to do anything after having faith. The works that follow faith should be the natural consequence of having faith, they shouldn't be forced.

Back in Genesis 15, we read that the covenant of grace given to Abram was one directional, as only God passed through the animals, and not Abram also, showing us that the only one who needed to do something is God himself.
Yeppers.

God's Truth

Who said it is forced?
Grace does not mean no obey, it means no circumcision and no animal sacrifices.

Back in Genesis 15, we read that the covenant of grace given to Abram was one directional, as only God passed through the animals, and not Abram also, showing us that the only one who needed to do something is God Himself.
Read this scripture very carefully, and you will see that we have to have living faith, not dead faith:

18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.

19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.

20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?

22 Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?

23 And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.

…..
24 Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.

25 Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way?

26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

James is explaining that promise of Abraham's faith was faith and obedience.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Who said it is forced?
Grace does not mean no obey, it means no circumcision and no animal sacrifices.

Read this scripture very carefully, and you will see that we have to have living faith, not dead faith:

18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.

19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.

20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?

22 Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?

23 And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.

…..
24 Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.

25 Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way?

26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

James is explaining that promise of Abraham's faith was faith and obedience.

Except you're taking it a step further, saying if you have no works, then you're not truly saved. (At least, that's what I'm getting out of your posts.) And that's simply not true. For example:

But the other, answering, rebuked him, saying, “Do you not even fear God, seeing you are under the same condemnation?And we indeed justly, for we receive the due reward of our deeds; but this Man has done nothing wrong.”Then he said to Jesus, “Lord, remember me when You come into Your kingdom.”And Jesus said to him, “Assuredly, I say to you, today you will be with Me in Paradise.” - Luke 23:40-43 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke23:40-43&version=NKJV

No works, and his faith was not dead or in vain.

Also, the passage you quoted (James 2:22-26) was written to the twelve tribes of Israel (ie, the Jews), not the Christians of the Body of Christ, which is why you seem to be having problems with this subject.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Paul is telling the saved to train themselves to be godly.

Would you like to explain that?
Here is the passage in question:

Therefore, as through one man’s offense judgment came to all men, resulting in condemnation, even so through one Man’s righteous act the free gift came to all men, resulting in justification of life.For as by one man’s disobedience many were made sinners, so also by one Man’s obedience many will be made righteous. - Romans 5:18-19 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Romans5:18-19&version=NKJV

I don't see Paul telling anyone to train themselves in those two verses. Try again.

Status
Not open for further replies.