Finland fined driver $60,000 for going 14 mph over the limit

shagster01

fair
7. Being in accordance with relative merit or significance:​

The suggestion in my post is fair according to that definition, which is the same definition used in taxing a certain percentage of income and charging fines based on the size of income.

How is giving someone more votes based on income fair? How are the two even connected?

genuineoriginal

I'm curious (since you started this thread) if you think everyone should pay the same tax percentage on income. Do you think it's fair that the rich have to pay a higher percentage of income for taxes?

And if so, how is it fair that poor people pay a higher percentage on fines to government agencies?

In other words, are you for fairness, or do you think the rich should get cut some slack on speeding tickets but poor people should not get cut some slack on taxes?

Let's put this in perspective.

A rich person can pay 80% of their income in taxes and a poor person can receive a refund on their income taxes because of tax credits.

If the rich person is already the only one of the two that is paying for the government and the poor person is getting payed by the government from the money the rich person is paying in taxes, why should the rich person have to pay even more for a speeding ticket just because he is rich?

The rich person is already being penalized for being rich twice, and you think it is fair for him to be penalized a third time?

shagster01

Let's put this in perspective.

A rich person can pay 80% of their income in taxes and a poor person can receive a refund on their income taxes because of tax credits.

If the rich person is already the only one of the two that is paying for the government and the poor person is getting payed by the government from the money the rich person is paying in taxes, why should the rich person have to pay even more for a speeding ticket just because he is rich?

The rich person is already being penalized for being rich twice, and you think it is fair for him to be penalized a third time?

Are you sure poor people in Finland are getting a lot of tax returns?

And do you agree with a flat % tax system?

genuineoriginal

How is giving someone more votes based on income fair? How are the two even connected?
Did you see this post?
Corporations use this method all the time.
Voting power is tied to the number of shares held by the shareholders.

do you agree with a flat % tax system?

Voting shares would be issued by the government based on income taxes received, so the people that are currently using tax shelters to avoid paying taxes would be cutting out their ability to vote and the people paying the most in taxes would have the most say in how the government spends that money.

Then it would truly be a government of the people, by the people, and for the people.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
We don't want people to get a greater sense of impunity from the law with the increase in wealth.
If that were true of all wealthy people, you might have a point.
You are not supposed to fine people because of what they have, but for what they do.
Fines should be based according to the crime, not for how wealthy or poor the criminals are.

Just like you shouldn't charge rich people more for a product just because they have more money.

shagster01

If that were true of all wealthy people, you might have a point.
You are not supposed to fine people because of what they have, but for what they do.

Just like you shouldn't charge rich people more for a product just because they have more money.

The bible says everyone should pay 10% tithe, causing the rich to pay more for the churches services.

The Berean must think God is a commie.

The Berean

I'm curious (since you started this thread) if you think everyone should pay the same tax percentage on income. Do you think it's fair that the rich have to pay a higher percentage of income for taxes?

And if so, how is it fair that poor people pay a higher percentage on fines to government agencies?

In other words, are you for fairness, or do you think the rich should get cut some slack on speeding tickets but poor people should not get cut some slack on taxes?

Now this opens up a discussion on what constitutes "fairness". How do you define "fairness"? What slack do "rich people" get in paying speeding tickets? If Person A and person B are caught speeding the same amount over the speed limit shouldn't they pay the same fine? That is the epitome of "fairness". This idea that "rich people" should pay more for a speeding ticket because they have a higher income seems strange. I guess McDonalds should charge Bill Gates $100,000 for a Big Mac because he can afford it?

genuineoriginal

The bible says everyone should pay 10% tithe, causing the rich to pay more for the churches services.

The Berean must think God is a commie.

Exodus 30:15
15 The rich shall not give more, and the poor shall not give less than half a shekel, when they give an offering unto the Lord, to make an atonement for your souls.​

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Now this opens up a discussion on what constitutes "fairness". How do you define "fairness"? What slack do "rich people" get in paying speeding tickets? If Person A and person B are caught speeding the same amount over the speed limit shouldn't they pay the same fine? That is the epitome of "fairness". This idea that "rich people" should pay more for a speeding ticket because they have a higher income seems strange. I guess McDonalds should charge Bill Gates $100,000 for a Big Mac because he can afford it?
Kinda like putting more weights into one side of the scale.
We used to call that cheating.

genuineoriginal

Kinda like putting more weights into one side of the scale.
We used to call that cheating.
The Bible says the same thing.

Leviticus 19:35-36
35 Ye shall do no unrighteousness in judgment, in meteyard, in weight, or in measure.
36 Just balances, just weights, a just ephah, and a just hin, shall ye have: I am the Lord your God, which brought you out of the land of Egypt.​

shagster01

Exodus 30:15
15 The rich shall not give more, and the poor shall not give less than half a shekel, when they give an offering unto the Lord, to make an atonement for your souls.​

Have you broken this command? Don't tell me you've given more than a half shekel before.

The Berean

Where does it say that?

It doesn't. The tithe is an offering to the LORD as stated in Leviticus 27. Later in Numbers 18 the LORD commands that the tithe would be used as payment to Aaron and the Levites for payment for their service as caretakers of the Tent of Meeting. Since they are set apart to serve God they can't be farmers and herders.

Leviticus 27:30-33
30 ‘Thus all the tithe of the land, of the seed of the land or of the fruit of the tree, is the Lord’s; it is holy to the Lord. 31 If, therefore, a man wishes to redeem part of his tithe, he shall add to it one-fifth of it. 32 For every tenth part of herd or flock, whatever passes under the rod, the tenth one shall be holy to the Lord. 33 He is not to be concerned whether it is good or bad, nor shall he exchange it; or if he does exchange it, then both it and its substitute shall become holy. It shall not be redeemed.’”

Numbers 18:21-24
21 “To the sons of Levi, behold, I have given all the tithe in Israel for an inheritance, in return for their service which they perform, the service of the tent of meeting. 22 The sons of Israel shall not come near the tent of meeting again, or they will bear sin and die. 23 Only the Levites shall perform the service of the tent of meeting, and they shall bear their iniquity; it shall be a perpetual statute throughout your generations, and among the sons of Israel they shall have no inheritance. 24 For the tithe of the sons of Israel, which they offer as an offering to the Lord, I have given to the Levites for an inheritance; therefore I have said concerning them, ‘They shall have no inheritance among the sons of Israel.’”

shagster01

It doesn't. The tithe is an offering to the LORD as stated in Leviticus 27. Later in Numbers 18 the LORD commands that the tithe would be used as payment to Aaron and the Levites for payment for their service as caretakers of the Tent of Meeting.

Perhaps it doesn't, per se. But apparently % does matter:

Luke 21:1-4
Jesus looked up and saw the rich putting their gifts into the offering box, and he saw a poor widow put in two small copper coins. And he said, “Truly, I tell you, this poor widow has put in more than all of them. For they all contributed out of their abundance, but she out of her poverty put in all she had to live on.”

Back to your tax statements, does this mean that if this was a "tax" the poor woman should actually get more votes, being that Jesus clearly said "Truly, I tell you, this poor widow has put in more than all of them," even though the amount was less?

genuineoriginal

Have you broken this command? Don't tell me you've given more than a half shekel before.
If you can provide proof of a date that the census was taken in Jerusalem according to the Biblical mandated method during my lifetime, I will provide the receipt for the half-shekel that was paid on my behalf during that census.

shagster01

If you can provide proof of a date that the census was taken in Jerusalem according to the Biblical mandated method during my lifetime, I will provide the receipt for the half-shekel that was paid on my behalf during that census.

In other words, you quoted an irrelevant verse.

genuineoriginal

Nobody has confessed that they have wanted a flat % tax in his country.

Do you or do you not?

If the only choice is between a flat income tax and a graduted income tax, then I would prefer the flat income tax.

However, I actually prefer that the Federal government was paid by the States, based on the population of each State, and though tariffs and excise taxes, in the manner set up by the writers of the Constitution.