Everything Christian

nikolai_42

You cannot be both... to be Jewish is to cling to the law... to be Christian is to be free from it.

Also, given how the Jewish people behaved in the Old Testament, I would be ashamed to call myself a Jew, if I were one.

So who is it that those of the Synagogue of Satan are imitating (Rev 2:9 and Rev 3:9)? Of what Synagogue are those Jews who are really Jews?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
There was no 'church' born. Jesus and the Apostles were shepherds of an ekklesia.... those who heard the word and believed and were indwelt with the holy spirit. They were called out by God. Ethnicity did not matter.
Jesus said He would build His church, and He started with Jews.

nikolai_42

What does it mean to be a Christian?

I am both Jewish and Christian though neither by birth both by choice. I observe things considered to be Jewish by most Christians.

Can you share what you believe Christianity to be about? What is Christian and what does it mean to be Christian or to be a Christian?

I do think there is something cultural about being a Jew that is not necessarily inherent in being a Christian - thus Acts 15:19-29 and Acts 21:25). Paul's whole letter to the Galatians bespeaks the Jewish sign as just that - a shadow of better things to come. So when they go back to the Law and require circumcision, they are doing something specifically Jewish. Peter was called the apostle to the circumcision by Paul in his letter to the Galatians. And his rejection of that very thing to the Galatian church (in no uncertain terms) denotes that difference. So it can be that when one calls one's self a Jew and a Christian, they are no different than the Galatians. But if one does so in the sense of recognizing the roots (the shadows) but honoring and following the Real (which the shadows foresaw), that is a different thing.

And I, brethren, if I yet preach circumcision, why do I yet suffer persecution? then is the offence of the cross ceased.
Galatians 5:11

But when Peter was come to Antioch, I withstood him to the face, because he was to be blamed.
For before that certain came from James, he did eat with the Gentiles: but when they were come, he withdrew and separated himself, fearing them which were of the circumcision.
And the other Jews dissembled likewise with him; insomuch that Barnabas also was carried away with their dissimulation.
But when I saw that they walked not uprightly according to the truth of the gospel, I said unto Peter before them all, If thou, being a Jew, livest after the manner of Gentiles, and not as do the Jews, why compellest thou the Gentiles to live as do the Jews?
We who are Jews by nature, and not sinners of the Gentiles,
Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

Galatians 2:11-16

There seemed to be some latitude and separation, but when it came to the gospel, it had to be pre-eminent. And so the gospel and the cross are the essence of Christianity.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
I do think there is something cultural about being a Jew that is not necessarily inherent in being a Christian - thus Acts 15:19-29 and Acts 21:25). Paul's whole letter to the Galatians bespeaks the Jewish sign as just that - a shadow of better things to come. So when they go back to the Law and require circumcision, they are doing something specifically Jewish. Peter was called the apostle to the circumcision by Paul in his letter to the Galatians. And his rejection of that very thing to the Galatian church (in no uncertain terms) denotes that difference. So it can be that when one calls one's self a Jew and a Christian, they are no different than the Galatians. But if one does so in the sense of recognizing the roots (the shadows) but honoring and following the Real (which the shadows foresaw), that is a different thing.

And I, brethren, if I yet preach circumcision, why do I yet suffer persecution? then is the offence of the cross ceased.
Galatians 5:11

But when Peter was come to Antioch, I withstood him to the face, because he was to be blamed.
For before that certain came from James, he did eat with the Gentiles: but when they were come, he withdrew and separated himself, fearing them which were of the circumcision.
And the other Jews dissembled likewise with him; insomuch that Barnabas also was carried away with their dissimulation.
But when I saw that they walked not uprightly according to the truth of the gospel, I said unto Peter before them all, If thou, being a Jew, livest after the manner of Gentiles, and not as do the Jews, why compellest thou the Gentiles to live as do the Jews?
We who are Jews by nature, and not sinners of the Gentiles,
Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

Galatians 2:11-16

There seemed to be some latitude and separation, but when it came to the gospel, it had to be pre-eminent. And so the gospel and the cross are the essence of Christianity.
Do you believe there is anything wrong with being a Jew or being Jewish?

Jesus was a Jew, and He observed the Law. No one is justified by the Law, but that doesn't make the Law bad. The Bible says the Law is good. So you can't be justified by the Law, but the Law is good.

In Jesus we have the new covenant, but not to the Gentile first.

HisServant

Jesus said He would build His church, and He started with Jews.

No.. he never used any word equivalent to church.... ekklesia was what was recorded in Greek.

A better translation would be that of assembly or congregation... but most certainly not a church.

But yes, in order to fulfill prophesy, he started with the Jews... but quickly spread to non-Jews. Once cannot attribute any specialness to this fact though, since later we learn that ones ethnicity or sex does not determine your position within the ekklesia.

nikolai_42

Do you believe there is anything wrong with being a Jew or being Jewish?

I believe the definition of "Jew" is a loaded one. That is, it is used in several different ways. In the sense of a Torah-observant individual, I believe that this hearkens to resting in observation of times, seasons and Laws - which I believe is seen in Paul's letter to the Galatians and encapsulated here :

But now, after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage?
Ye observe days, and months, and times, and years.
I am afraid of you, lest I have bestowed upon you labour in vain.

Galatians 4:9-11

Jesus fulfilled the feasts 2000 years ago (though I know many say His returns fulfills one....at least all but that one are fulfilled). So in that sense, observing the feasts is rejecting the Messiah. Not only that, if the feasts were given to Israel, could it be (and I simply ask...not assert) that one is trying to be a Jew in the sense that Revelation 2:9 and Revelation 3:9 condemn? After all, Paul said that he is not a Jew which is one outwardly, but is one inwardly.

For that reason, I see the church as a continuation of God's covenant with Abraham. Jesus called those that do the works of Abraham (walk by faith) the children of Abraham. So the sense looked for is not in hearkening back, but in recognizing the fulfillment in Christ.

Based on that, I find it hard to believe someone could be observant of Jewish ceremonies without at least being tempted to "go back" into bondage. Not that it can't be done, but that it involves more than just appreciation of one's spiritual heritage.

Jesus was a Jew, and He observed the Law. No one is justified by the Law, but that doesn't make the Law bad. The Bible says the Law is good. So you can't be justified by the Law, but the Law is good.

The Law is a good mirror. It's an awful perfecter. Always has been...always will be. So to observe the Law again goes to something deeper than just not killing, not committing adultery etc... It has to do with what a man is resting on. If one starts resting on the law, they will be doing what the Galatian church did and what Paul came against.

This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.

Galatians 5:16-17

In Jesus we have the new covenant, but not to the Gentile first.

Then Paul and Barnabas waxed bold, and said, It was necessary that the word of God should first have been spoken to you: but seeing ye put it from you, and judge yourselves unworthy of everlasting life, lo, we turn to the Gentiles.
Acts 13:46

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
No.. he never used any word equivalent to church.... ekklesia was what was recorded in Greek.

A better translation would be that of assembly or congregation... but most certainly not a church.

But yes, in order to fulfill prophesy, he started with the Jews... but quickly spread to non-Jews. Once cannot attribute any specialness to this fact though, since later we learn that ones ethnicity or sex does not determine your position within the ekklesia.
The word ekklesia is a Greek word. A Hebrew word would be better than an English word.

One's "position" within the "ekklesia" or "church" does not determine their identity or position with/within the nation of Israel if they have one.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
I believe the definition of "Jew" is a loaded one. That is, it is used in several different ways. In the sense of a Torah-observant individual, I believe that this hearkens to resting in observation of times, seasons and Laws - which I believe is seen in Paul's letter to the Galatians and encapsulated here :

But now, after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage?
Ye observe days, and months, and times, and years.
I am afraid of you, lest I have bestowed upon you labour in vain.

Galatians 4:9-11

Jesus fulfilled the feasts 2000 years ago (though I know many say His returns fulfills one....at least all but that one are fulfilled). So in that sense, observing the feasts is rejecting the Messiah. Not only that, if the feasts were given to Israel, could it be (and I simply ask...not assert) that one is trying to be a Jew in the sense that Revelation 2:9 and Revelation 3:9 condemn? After all, Paul said that he is not a Jew which is one outwardly, but is one inwardly.

For that reason, I see the church as a continuation of God's covenant with Abraham. Jesus called those that do the works of Abraham (walk by faith) the children of Abraham. So the sense looked for is not in hearkening back, but in recognizing the fulfillment in Christ.

Based on that, I find it hard to believe someone could be observant of Jewish ceremonies without at least being tempted to "go back" into bondage. Not that it can't be done, but that it involves more than just appreciation of one's spiritual heritage.

The Law is a good mirror. It's an awful perfecter. Always has been...always will be. So to observe the Law again goes to something deeper than just not killing, not committing adultery etc... It has to do with what a man is resting on. If one starts resting on the law, they will be doing what the Galatian church did and what Paul came against.

This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.

Galatians 5:16-17

Then Paul and Barnabas waxed bold, and said, It was necessary that the word of God should first have been spoken to you: but seeing ye put it from you, and judge yourselves unworthy of everlasting life, lo, we turn to the Gentiles.
Acts 13:46
There is nothing wrong with being a Jew and observing the Law. It is God's Law after all. When people speak of bondage to the Law they are identifying sin (not that the Law is bad, for the Bible says the Law is good). The problem is sin not the Law.

That being said, no one needs to observe all of the Law to be saved. In fact, no one can be saved by observing even one command of God. For all have sinned and the wages of sin is death. Even one sin deserves the death penalty. Then the free gift of God is eternal life in Jesus Christ our Lord. This is not the condemnation that is rightly deserved by the Law.

glorydaz

The Bible says the Law is good. So you can't be justified by the Law, but the Law is good.

The law can't justify, make us holy, or give us life.

It's purpose is to show men what sin is, find them guilty, and lead them to Christ. Has it's purpose been served in you or NOT?

I'm thinking NOT, since you are way too confused.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
What does it mean to be a Christian?

I am both Jewish and Christian though neither by birth both by choice. I observe things considered to be Jewish by most Christians.

Can you share what you believe Christianity to be about? What is Christian and what does it mean to be Christian or to be a Christian?

You derailed my thread this morning. So, here's my question: Have
ya ever had a hot fudge sundae and they forgot to put the ice cream
in the bowl? This is what you did with my thread. What do ya think?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
The law can't justify, make us holy, or give us life.

It's purpose is to show men what sin is, find them guilty, and lead them to Christ. Has it's purpose been served in you or NOT?

I'm thinking NOT, since you are way too confused.
The Law and the Holy Spirit showed me my sin. I see no reason to do away with it and neither did Paul. Even if sin was shown to me by the Law while I was just a Christian or professing to be a Christian (having been born again or knowing myself to have been saved, born again, have the Holy Spirit dwelling in me and have been water baptized). To be saved by God doesn't mean your entire life is perfect from that point on in regard to obedience and not sinning and living by the Spirit of God. But there is no room for sin in the Christian life or walk. If you have sinned and claim you are a Christian that doesn't mean everything is over. But there is a chance you are not saved. I believe only after time can one who questions their salvation be assured that they are saved. It is not works or performance based, but if you are living life looking good and doing right in regard to how you treat others or what commands of God you obey or just claiming to obey God when really you are just doing the church thing... it doesn't matter. God's standard is the standard we will be judged by.

I am saved by God's grace.

There is blessing in obeying God. We are not saved for the purpose of being able to disobey God. His commands are life to us. They don't provide us with the life we have in Jesus. And they don't give us eternal life. However, here we can ask is eternal life the life we are living now? Many people believe they have eternal life from the moment they are saved, true or false conversion.

No one is saved by works or obedience to God's commands. Those who do not obey God have not been saved. If you have been saved you are no longer disobedient to God. Your life is new in Christ. Or, if you are a new creature or new creation in Christ and you do sin... it is a serious check or test of your faith. Confess your sins, get up, and do right by what you have learned of God in the situation.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
You derailed my thread this morning. So, here's my question: Have
ya ever had a hot fudge sundae and they forgot to put the ice cream
in the bowl? This is what you did with my thread. What do ya think?
I understand if you believe I have done wrong to you. I have nothing against you. I saw an opportunity to learn and rub shoulders with a fellow brother in Christ. It is about God's grace and God's grace does not run out. I am glad to have been on your thread. I have nothing against you reporting me either. I don't believe I have done anything wrong, but I will not be the judge of that if you have reported something you believe to have been wrong. You are welcome to post as much as you like on any of the threads I start.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
I understand if you believe I have done wrong to you. I have nothing against you. I saw an opportunity to learn and rub shoulders with a fellow brother in Christ. It is about God's grace and God's grace does not run out. I am glad to have been on your thread. I have nothing against you reporting me either. I don't believe I have done anything wrong, but I will not be the judge of that if you have reported something you believe to have been wrong. You are welcome to post as much as you like on any of the threads I start.

I don't believe ya. I asked you to stop derailing and you kept saying
things that didn't relate to the subject.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
I don't believe ya. I asked you to stop derailing and you kept saying
things that didn't relate to the subject.
I don't know how you can think what I was saying did not relate to the subject. You started a conversation and I had no problem being involved in your thread, unto the glory of God and mutual edification, and the edification of the church. How can we make things right, whether there are punishments or infractions or what not? We have a responsibility to each other in Christ.