Denominations

Tortdog

Nope.

The RISEN and ASCENDED LORD Jesus Christ appeared to Paul and gave him instructions. Those instructions did NOT include a priesthood, or Paul would have written about it.
Did Christ tell Paul that we should not kill?

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Tortdog

Are you just going to keep asking silly questions?
It is as silly as your logic., that because someone does not mention something that the item is therefore terminated.

I challenge you to find in the Bible where it states that the priesthood would be taken from the earth. We know it was given to man from God but I see no one advise it should be taken away.

Further, Paul did talk about the priesthood and advised how essential it was, with Christ being the high priest and example to all in Hebrews. Why would Paul talk glowingly about the priesthood but then suggest it is no longer? He does not even say that.

In fact, we have the Bible saying we cannot take this honor of God unto ourselves other than how Aaron received it from God. And Aaron received this honor when Moses gave him the priesthood. Why did Moses give Aaron the priesthood? Well, you know that, right?

Right Divider

Body part
It is as silly as your logic., that because someone does not mention something that the item is therefore terminated.
If the body of Christ (something that only Paul talks about) had a priesthood, it would HAVE to be mentioned in a least ONE of his epistles.

I can see that this simple and consistent logic is impossible for you to understand.

I challenge you to find in the Bible where it states that the priesthood would be taken from the earth. We know it was given to man from God but I see no one advise it should be taken away.
It wasn't just "given to man by God"... it was given to ISRAEL by God.

Further, Paul did talk about the priesthood and advised how essential it was, with Christ being the high priest and example to all in Hebrews. Why would Paul talk glowingly about the priesthood but then suggest it is no longer? He does not even say that.
We do NOT know who wrote the book to the HEBREWS, but it's virtually impossible that it was the apostle of the gentiles.

http://theologyonline.com/entry.php?3512-Paul-did-not-write-Hebrews-we-do-not-know-who-did

In fact, we have the Bible saying we cannot take this honor of God unto ourselves other than how Aaron received it from God. And Aaron received this honor when Moses gave him the priesthood. Why did Moses give Aaron the priesthood? Well, you know that, right?
You know nothing about the dispensation of the grace of God.

1Tim 2:3-6 (AKJV/PCE)
(2:3) For this [is] good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour; (2:4) Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth. (2:5) For [there is] one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus; (2:6) Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.

Note that Paul AGAIN does NOT mention the priesthood or the priest.

csuguy

Ok I know that this is a very complex topic and Christianity has a lot of denominations but as an attempt to simplify it, is it safe to say that Christians can be divided into two categories (before dividing them more), those that believe in the Protestant reformation and those that don’t?
Is It safe to say that those that don’t are some form of catholic?

If you were to create a tree diagram with Christianity in top, what would the next branch be? For me, it would be Protestant reformation vs catholic.

The Orthodox and Catholic churches divided long before the Reformation. Additionally, you had those churches controlled by Rome in the 4th Century and those outside of Roman Control. The Roman government enforced the decisions of the various councils, and so forced certain theological viewpoints and liturgical practices upon Christendom within the Roman state. Those outside of Roman control continued to hold views and practices contrary to the councils until they were subsequently conquered and were made to follow the beliefs and practices.

For instance, Arianism and various other Christologies were deemed heretical by the councils, but such beliefs persisted outside of Rome at the time.

If you go down and look at the Church Fathers, there was plenty of division in thought amongst them as well. Justin Martyr, a very influential theologian in the Early Church, maintained that Jesus was a second, lesser god.

And if you start to include all of those rejected by the Catholic/Orthodox Church, like the Gnostics and Marcionites, there are very many branches indeed.

Part of answering such a question then becomes: by what criteria do you include or exclude groups that identify themselves as Christian? Belief in the Jewish God? Belief in the Jewish God as good? Belief in the Jewish God as the only God? Belief in Christ as a Prophet? Belief in Christ as Messiah? Belief in Christ as God himself? Belief in Christ as a personage of God? etc.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Ok I know that this is a very complex topic and Christianity has a lot of denominations but as an attempt to simplify it, is it safe to say that Christians can be divided into two categories (before dividing them more), those that believe in the Protestant reformation and those that don’t?
Is It safe to say that those that don’t are some form of catholic?

If you were to create a tree diagram with Christianity in top, what would the next branch be? For me, it would be Protestant reformation vs catholic.
The trunk begins in Jerusalem on Pentecost in AD 33. The trunk is the whole Church. The first big limb off the trunk is Orthodox. That limb separates into branches called the Orthodox churches. The next smaller limbs are Protestant traditions, most of which splintered into many smaller branches and twigs. The whole rest of the tree is Catholic, but the whole tree, is the whole Church, the Body of Christ.

Tortdog

The Orthodox and Catholic churches divided long before the Reformation. Additionally, you had those churches controlled by Rome in the 4th Century and those outside of Roman Control. The Roman government enforced the decisions of the various councils, and so forced certain theological viewpoints and liturgical practices upon Christendom within the Roman state. Those outside of Roman control continued to hold views and practices contrary to the councils until they were subsequently conquered and were made to follow the beliefs and practices.

For instance, Arianism and various other Christologies were deemed heretical by the councils, but such beliefs persisted outside of Rome at the time.

If you go down and look at the Church Fathers, there was plenty of division in thought amongst them as well. Justin Martyr, a very influential theologian in the Early Church, maintained that Jesus was a second, lesser god.

And if you start to include all of those rejected by the Catholic/Orthodox Church, like the Gnostics and Marcionites, there are very many branches indeed.

Part of answering such a question then becomes: by what criteria do you include or exclude groups that identify themselves as Christian? Belief in the Jewish God? Belief in the Jewish God as good? Belief in the Jewish God as the only God? Belief in Christ as a Prophet? Belief in Christ as Messiah? Belief in Christ as God himself? Belief in Christ as a personage of God? etc.
Solid post. Thank you.

False Prophet

RCC*************Anglican Church vs Continental Protestants******************Baptist, Methodist, Presbyterian****************Calvary Chapel is a cult***************
Mothers Against Drunk driving