Denominations

katiecrna

When I hear priesthood, an imagine of the pope comes up. Flashy, giant robe, a big hat and basically this big flashy get up.

But shouldn’t priests or our religious leaders be an example of how we should be? Wasn’t Jesus put on earth to not only die for our sins but to correct us? And give us guidance, and be an example of how we should be?

Right Divider

Body part
I understand what your saying. It seems like it was always there and obviously it’s the way it was always done. But It was criticized in the Bible. Like what does priesthood look like? I think my point is that it shouldn’t look like the pope, according to the Bible.
How do you miss that God gave Israel a priesthood?

Exod 19:5-6 (AKJV/PCE)
(19:5) Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth [is] mine: (19:6) And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These [are] the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel.

Isa 61:6 (AKJV/PCE)
(61:6) But ye shall be named the Priests of the LORD: [men] shall call you the Ministers of our God: ye shall eat the riches of the Gentiles, and in their glory shall ye boast yourselves.

1Pet 2:5 (AKJV/PCE)
(2:5) Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.

1Pet 2:9 (AKJV/PCE)
(2:9) But ye [are] a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:

Right Divider

Body part
When I hear priesthood, an imagine of the pope comes up. Flashy, giant robe, a big hat and basically this big flashy get up.

But shouldn’t priests or our religious leaders be an example of how we should be? Wasn’t Jesus put on earth to not only die for our sins but to correct us? And give us guidance, and be an example of how we should be?
The Bible says that when Jesus was on earth, He was a minister of the circumcision (Rom 15:8). That means something.

The Bible also says that with regard to the circumcision, He is the high priest. (See the entire book to the Hebrews).

Tortdog

Paul was being plagued by fellow Christians who were still zealous for the law.

Before that, Peter and the apostles were being harassed by the religious leaders of the day.
You mean by the priests, right?

Did Christ ever teach that we had no need of the priesthood any longer?

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

katiecrna

How do you miss that God gave Israel a priesthood?

Exod 19:5-6 (AKJV/PCE)
(19:5) Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth [is] mine: (19:6) And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These [are] the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel.

Isa 61:6 (AKJV/PCE)
(61:6) But ye shall be named the Priests of the LORD: [men] shall call you the Ministers of our God: ye shall eat the riches of the Gentiles, and in their glory shall ye boast yourselves.

1Pet 2:5 (AKJV/PCE)
(2:5) Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.

1Pet 2:9 (AKJV/PCE)
(2:9) But ye [are] a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:

Can you define priesthood?

Ok so they talk about priesthood, but does how it’s described in the Bible accurately depict the priests of today?

Tortdog

What was your name last time you were here?
Always use the same name and joined today because this thread hit as a potential item of interest.

Assume much or is this how you generally women someone?

katiecrna

My problem with this priesthood is that... like the Bible warned us, we need to be aware of false prophets and blah blah. And the idea of a priesthood.... giving a sinned man the power and authority of God... is just a dangerous concept. And then it poses questions like... do I listen and obey this priest? What if I disagree with him? Does he really have a special relationship/ability, “in” with God that I don’t have? Who determines who are priests? Another sinned man?

Like the pope for example... so much of what he says I don’t believe in. So is he a false prophet? Should I obey him?

Right Divider

Body part
My problem with this priesthood is that... like the Bible warned us, we need to be aware of false prophets and blah blah. And the idea of a priesthood.... giving a sinned man the power and authority of God... is just a dangerous concept. And then it poses questions like... do I listen and obey this priest? What if I disagree with him? Does he really have a special relationship/ability, “in” with God that I don’t have? Who determines who are priests? Another sinned man?

Like the pope for example... so much of what he says I don’t believe in. So is he a false prophet? Should I obey him?
You seem to having problems accepting truth.

God gave Israel a priesthood... plain and simple.

That some today, like the RCC, establish a FALSE priesthood is something else.

Tortdog

How do you reconcile that view with God's act of giving the priesthood to Israel in the past and commanding the people to obey the priesthood leaders?

katiecrna

You seem to having problems accepting truth.

God gave Israel a priesthood... plain and simple.

That some today, like the RCC, establish a FALSE priesthood is something else.

Ok believing a priesthood in theory is all fine and dandy and biblical. But putting a name to the face is the problem. How can you believe in something that you don’t actually see exist?
What I see, is a bunch of people believing that they are priests, but the “proof” is not in the pudding. Just like we were warned about false prophets, I can spot a lot of false prophets.

It’s also semantics. Priest, religious leader, pastor... whatever. I don’t think a priest would preach something that isn’t biblical? And if he is... than he’s not a real priest, just another false prophet.

Tortdog

Ok believing a priesthood in theory is all fine and dandy and biblical. But putting a name to the face is the problem. How can you believe in something that you don’t actually see exist?
What I see, is a bunch of people believing that they are priests, but the “proof” is not in the pudding. Just like we were warned about false prophets, I can spot a lot of false prophets.

It’s also semantics. Priest, religious leader, pastor... whatever. I don’t think a priest would preach something that isn’t biblical? And if he is... than he’s not a real priest, just another false prophet.
Very fair observation. So how do we determine what God wants?

katiecrna

How do you reconcile that view with God's act of giving the priesthood to Israel in the past and commanding the people to obey the priesthood leaders?

Because he told them to obey the priesthood leaders, then years later Jesus came and condemned them, made examples out of them and made a point to say this isn’t how you should be!

You can’t just say believe in the priesthood indefinitely, and this is obvious. People are sinned, people get corrupt, people accidentally follow the way of the devil then continue to pretend to be “religious” leaders in the public. Just like the catholic priests who lived extremely corrupt ways of the devil, on Sunday’s they put their robe on and gave Sunday mass, and I’m suppose to listen and respect him??