Weird Hydrogen and cancer and house sales

Weird Hydrogen and cancer and house sales

Dear BJ,

I found it. See as follows:

Problems with Carbon Dating - Chemistry. Answers.com
chem.answers.com/environment/problems-with-carbon-dating

That's it right there.

Michael
I sincerely thank you for taking the time and effort to track this down. However … I did a Google search a couple days ago when you first posted the quotes in question, and this same Chemistry.Answers.com link popped up then. But that site simply repeats the identical (erroneous) text you gave us. There is no discussion or commentary on that text there.

In contrast, your original link was to a discussion forum (ScienceForums), similar to TOL, in which the pros and cons of ideas are hashed out. I suspect that article you quoted, when subjected to the examination of the participants at ScienceForums, would have been even more mercilessly ripped up than my mild disapproval of it. So I issue the request again – if you can find, within the ScienceForums discussion threads, where that article is found, I would (again) be in your debt.
Dear Davis,

The question is, does hydrogen57 and uranium-238 dating methods have a possibility of being inaccurate. …
Hydrogen 57 does not exist.
Dear Davis,
… All I can say is I don't trust hydrogen-57 dating...
Hydrogen-57 still does not exist, Michael. (And, since hydrogen is the first element in the Periodic Table of Elements, as well as being the simplest of all the elements in its structure, almost every student of science knows what a hydrogen atom “looks” like. Your repeatedly referring to it as hydrogen-57 indicates to me that you are mentally focused on how to show dating is wrong, to the exclusion of even realizing you are writing sheer scientific nonsense. I am trying desperately to get you to use your logic, and see what your logic tells you, free of whatever pre-conceived ideas you are emotionally wedded to.) Think when you write.
… , nor carbon-14 dating. Science is too fallible for me to put my trust in such methods. Other scientists are persuaded and so am I….
Are you aware that a dozen years ago a select group of the premier PhD scientists in your fundamentalist camp jointly undertook a formal effort lasting several years to examine and validate the evidences supporting a recent creation? The effort was sponsored by the ICR, and was known as the “RATE” project. C-14 dating was one of the items included in that study. John Baumgardner, one of the scientific PhD luminaries in the YEC world, was the focal point for showing the weaknesses in radiological dating.

When all was said and done, and these YEC leaders published their results, those results turned out to be not much more than a repackaging of the same discredited arguments that have been in vogue for years. They hardly made a ripple in the world of real science. In the real world of science, any team of highly qualified scientists that were as impotent at producing meaningful results as they were, might well fear for their jobs and their professional credibility. And those are the people you are aligning yourself with.
You can't just sit and watch something decay in order to mention it's half-life. All kinds of other factors have an adverse reaction to that decaying. So whatever.

Michael
No Michael, not true. I authored a long post a few days ago showing that even something as potent as high-explosives have almost no effect on the nucleus of the atoms, where the factors that govern decay rates are determined. Forget oxidation, acids, solutes, pressure, heat. Now what “other factors have an adverse reaction to that decaying”?
I had prostate cancer, BJ. I got it removed but they left some cancer cells in me. I got radiation treatments for a week, and decided not to continue. That does nothing to accommodate half-lives. Just because they work at a specific time and place, all of the variables that could happen to them could destroy their dating ability. They wanted me to do radiation for 8 weeks, at a cost of $6,000 for my copay. Don't have the money. Anyway, I still have cancer in me. But it's miniscule.

Michael
I am glad your cancer is not an issue for you right now. I hope it is a non-issue for years to come.

However, I hope you have looked at the cancer issues with a less emotion-driven view than you use when being dismissive of the science we discuss in these forums. You had (and have) prostate cancer. My dad died of prostate cancer. My brother had (has?) prostate cancer (it was treated with embedded radiation pellets). My brother-in-law had his prostate surgically removed because of prostate cancer. And me, well, when my positive diagnoses for prostate cancer came in over a decade ago, I was made aware of an experimental new radiation regimen that was being conducted locally. I am a scientist, and if I am going to die, I can’t think of a better way than to be, in effect, a lab rat that will at least add a data point to a scientific study. I won’t bore you with the specifics of what was unique about my radiation, but so far, my PSA levels are very satisfactory.

Like you, I could describe my cancer as being miniscule. But the problem with cancer, the thing that makes it so dangerous, is it grows. And grows. And grows. Just like money in a really high-interest paying investment, what is little today will be moderate tomorrow, and then bigger, and then huge. My radiation whomped my cancer. Maybe 98% of the cancer cells were killed. But how about those surviving few thousand cancer cells? Maybe 20,000 in 4 years, and then 80,000 a few years later, and so on, doubling every few years. The numbers start getting really big after a while. Unless something really slows it down, the cancer is like Sauron, silently building its evil army behind the walls of Mordor.

I harbor no illusions that I could survive long-term unless some further action were to be taken to again reduce the number of viable cancerous cells. Anyway, I know where you are coming from on the cancer thing – been there, done that.

But let me address the inconsistent approach you are taking. You have said that earlier in your life you aspired to be a doctor. If you had taken that path, and had diagnosed a patient with prostate cancer, what would you do? Would you summarily dismiss any thought of using embedded radiation, like was used on my brother? After all, the radiation dosage is crucially dependent on the absolute reliability of the half-life of the radioactive pellets. In fact there are numerous medical procedures and tests that rely on the accuracy of radiation half-life measurements. As a doctor, you would probably have to take down your shingle, and maybe limit yourself to a hands-off practice, like psychology or such.

Now for a peripheral question. You have alluded to the idea that some major event in the end-times is going to happen before year’s end. If that means you will be taken up in the rapture, or whisked off to warn the people in the Holy Land, or some such, will you no longer need your domicile in Phoenix? If you own a home there, and will not have need of it after the big event, I would like to tender an offer – say 40% of the appraised value, paid to you immediately upon signing of legally binding papers, with you keeping the home until year’s end. Think of it, that might be enough money right now for you to do some serious proselyting work, and share with your sisters, and even have a two-pound lobster for a midnight snack every night by the pool for the rest of the year. But come January 1st, 2016, a moving van loaded with my furniture will be at your (my) front door, ready to start moving in. Interested?

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned
:thumb:

The gospel is what they are desperately trying to avoid by pretending that "six days" and "billions of years" are compatible.

Whew, finally you are correct on one issue. They are not compatible. And since the real world evidence does not support 6 days, ah well.

6days

Jonahdog said:
Whew, finally you are correct on one issue. *They are not compatible. And since the real world evidence does not support 6 days, ah well.
Agree...not compatible.

Disagree with you on evidence. Evidence does support the Biblical creation account. (Genetics, physics, geology, biology, astronomy, history, paleontology, archaeology, etc)

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Whew, finally you are correct on one issue. They are not compatible. And since the real world evidence does not support 6 days, ah well.

We would be prepared to talk through the evidence with someone who first concedes that they are not compatible. That is at least a rational starting point.

DavisBJ

Agree...not compatible.

Disagree with you on evidence. Evidence does support the Biblical creation account. (Genetics, physics, geology, biology, astronomy, history, paleontology, archaeology, etc)
Just generically naming a bunch of branches of science and claiming they support the Genesis creation account is hardly a convincing argument. Do you agree that for the supporting evidence and logic in any of the scientific fields to be valid, it would be circular reasoning to assert that “the Bible says …” as proof of what is being asserted? IOW, science, free of anyone’s theological beliefs, must be shown to support (or contradict) a specific point in the Genesis account. If the argument also hinges on a non-scientific question, such as whether the word “day” (as it is translated in English Bibles) should be thought of as a literal 24 hour period as we now know it, or whether it is acceptable to think of “day” as a generic reference to a (possible long) period of time, then that must be decided prior to, and independent of, the supporting/disproving evidence from science. If you feel the word "day" absolutely refers to 24 hours in the early part of Genesis, then make that clear as part of the position you will be defending.

Two of the major issues I am aware of that are in dispute include the order in which life forms appeared on the earth, and the age of the earth.

On my part, I would like to know what the specific evidence for a recent creation is, from 3 of the fields you mention - geology, physics, and astronomy. Can you provide?

6days

DavisBJ said:
Just generically naming a bunch of branches of science and claiming they support the Genesis creation account is hardly a convincing argument.
I agree.
Likewise the comment I addressed was hardly a convincing argument.

DavisBJ said:
*Do you agree that for the supporting evidence and logic in any of the scientific fields to be valid, it would be circular reasoning to assert that “the Bible says …” as proof of what is being asserted?

*IOW, science, free of anyone’s theological beliefs, must be shown to support (or contradict) a specific point in the Genesis account. If the argument also hinges on a non-scientific question, such as whether the word “day” (as it is translated in English Bibles) should be thought of as a literal 24 hour period as we now know it, or whether it is acceptable to think of “day” as a generic reference to a (possible long) period of time, then that must be decided prior to, and independent of, the supporting/disproving evidence from science. If you feel the word "day" absolutely refers to 24 hours in the early part of Genesis, then make that clear as part of the position you will be defending.

Re. Circular reasoning....yes, possibly in some cases. But the same argument can be made of atheists. We start from a biased worldview. We interpret evidence according to that biased starting point.*

I seen an article recently in Talkorigins re. biased starting points in 'origins science'. (I think the article was several years old). Although, the author seemed to be an atheist, he admitted that creationist and atheist scientists have equally valid interpretations. ...He then continued to present why he thought the 'no creator' interpretation was the best explanation of the evidence. *If I recall correctly, the author used the terms of 'common ancestor' vs 'common designer'.*

DavisBJ said:
Two of the major issues I am aware of that are in dispute include the order in which life forms appeared on the earth, and the age of the earth.

The Biblical order and the age is very very different from old earth beliefs.*
DavisBJ said:
On my part, I would like to know what the specific evidence for a recent creation is, from 3 of the fields you mention - geology, physics, and astronomy. Can you provide?
Oh darn.... I was hoping you would just accept what I said as truth *:) ha.

Cheating a bit... i googled a couple websites.
Geology
Is There Geological Evidence For a Young Earth?
http://www.icr.org/article/there-geological-evidence-for-young-earth/

Physics
"Further evidence for a young age from nuclear physics comes from ....."
http://creation.mobi/jim-mason-nuclear-physicist

Astronomy*
Lack of stage 3 stars points to a young earth.*

Arthur Brain

Meanwhile, you say "billions of years," while claiming to adhere to the Bible, which says: "six days." When you've rejected one of those mutually exclusive positions, you could be part of a rational discussion.

They're only mutually exclusive to people with 'box' mindsets.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
But not to traditional Christians:

But if you will look in the first chapter of Genesis, you will see there more particularly set forth that peculiar operation of power upon the universe which was put forth by the Holy Spirit; you will then discover what was his special work. In Ge 1:2, we read, “And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.” We do not know how remote the period of the creation of this globe may be—certainly many millions of years before the time of Adam. Our planet has passed through various stages of existence, and different kinds of creatures have lived on its surface, all of which have been fashioned by God.
Charles Spurgeon sermon number 30 ca:1850

Until the Seventh-Day Adventists invented YE creationism, almost all creationists were old Earth. That is the form of creationism that was presented at the Scopes trial, for example. The prosecution admitted that the Earth was probably millions of years old, and freely admitted that it made no difference to the Gospel.

MichaelCadry

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I sincerely thank you for taking the time and effort to track this down. However … I did a Google search a couple days ago when you first posted the quotes in question, and this same Chemistry.Answers.com link popped up then. But that site simply repeats the identical (erroneous) text you gave us. There is no discussion or commentary on that text there.

In contrast, your original link was to a discussion forum (ScienceForums), similar to TOL, in which the pros and cons of ideas are hashed out. I suspect that article you quoted, when subjected to the examination of the participants at ScienceForums, would have been even more mercilessly ripped up than my mild disapproval of it. So I issue the request again – if you can find, within the ScienceForums discussion threads, where that article is found, I would (again) be in your debt.

Hydrogen-57 still does not exist, Michael. (And, since hydrogen is the first element in the Periodic Table of Elements, as well as being the simplest of all the elements in its structure, almost every student of science knows what a hydrogen atom “looks” like. Your repeatedly referring to it as hydrogen-57 indicates to me that you are mentally focused on how to show dating is wrong, to the exclusion of even realizing you are writing sheer scientific nonsense. I am trying desperately to get you to use your logic, and see what your logic tells you, free of whatever pre-conceived ideas you are emotionally wedded to.) Think when you write.

Are you aware that a dozen years ago a select group of the premier PhD scientists in your fundamentalist camp jointly undertook a formal effort lasting several years to examine and validate the evidences supporting a recent creation? The effort was sponsored by the ICR, and was known as the “RATE” project. C-14 dating was one of the items included in that study. John Baumgardner, one of the scientific PhD luminaries in the YEC world, was the focal point for showing the weaknesses in radiological dating.

When all was said and done, and these YEC leaders published their results, those results turned out to be not much more than a repackaging of the same discredited arguments that have been in vogue for years. They hardly made a ripple in the world of real science. In the real world of science, any team of highly qualified scientists that were as impotent at producing meaningful results as they were, might well fear for their jobs and their professional credibility. And those are the people you are aligning yourself with.

No Michael, not true. I authored a long post a few days ago showing that even something as potent as high-explosives have almost no effect on the nucleus of the atoms, where the factors that govern decay rates are determined. Forget oxidation, acids, solutes, pressure, heat. Now what “other factors have an adverse reaction to that decaying”?

I am glad your cancer is not an issue for you right now. I hope it is a non-issue for years to come.

However, I hope you have looked at the cancer issues with a less emotion-driven view than you use when being dismissive of the science we discuss in these forums. You had (and have) prostate cancer. My dad died of prostate cancer. My brother had (has?) prostate cancer (it was treated with embedded radiation pellets). My brother-in-law had his prostate surgically removed because of prostate cancer. And me, well, when my positive diagnoses for prostate cancer came in over a decade ago, I was made aware of an experimental new radiation regimen that was being conducted locally. I am a scientist, and if I am going to die, I can’t think of a better way than to be, in effect, a lab rat that will at least add a data point to a scientific study. I won’t bore you with the specifics of what was unique about my radiation, but so far, my PSA levels are very satisfactory.

Like you, I could describe my cancer as being miniscule. But the problem with cancer, the thing that makes it so dangerous, is it grows. And grows. And grows. Just like money in a really high-interest paying investment, what is little today will be moderate tomorrow, and then bigger, and then huge. My radiation whomped my cancer. Maybe 98% of the cancer cells were killed. But how about those surviving few thousand cancer cells? Maybe 20,000 in 4 years, and then 80,000 a few years later, and so on, doubling every few years. The numbers start getting really big after a while. Unless something really slows it down, the cancer is like Sauron, silently building its evil army behind the walls of Mordor.

I harbor no illusions that I could survive long-term unless some further action were to be taken to again reduce the number of viable cancerous cells. Anyway, I know where you are coming from on the cancer thing – been there, done that.

But let me address the inconsistent approach you are taking. You have said that earlier in your life you aspired to be a doctor. If you had taken that path, and had diagnosed a patient with prostate cancer, what would you do? Would you summarily dismiss any thought of using embedded radiation, like was used on my brother? After all, the radiation dosage is crucially dependent on the absolute reliability of the half-life of the radioactive pellets. In fact there are numerous medical procedures and tests that rely on the accuracy of radiation half-life measurements. As a doctor, you would probably have to take down your shingle, and maybe limit yourself to a hands-off practice, like psychology or such.

Now for a peripheral question. You have alluded to the idea that some major event in the end-times is going to happen before year’s end. If that means you will be taken up in the rapture, or whisked off to warn the people in the Holy Land, or some such, will you no longer need your domicile in Phoenix? If you own a home there, and will not have need of it after the big event, I would like to tender an offer – say 40% of the appraised value, paid to you immediately upon signing of legally binding papers, with you keeping the home until year’s end. Think of it, that might be enough money right now for you to do some serious proselyting work, and share with your sisters, and even have a two-pound lobster for a midnight snack every night by the pool for the rest of the year. But come January 1st, 2016, a moving van loaded with my furniture will be at your (my) front door, ready to start moving in. Interested?

Dear BJ,

You know I mean iron-57. Why do you play games instead? I can't get to your post right now. I am helping someone move from their house to an apt. Talk to you in a few hours.

Thanks for being cool and understanding.

God Bless You Continually,

Michael

MichaelCadry

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Just generically naming a bunch of branches of science and claiming they support the Genesis creation account is hardly a convincing argument. Do you agree that for the supporting evidence and logic in any of the scientific fields to be valid, it would be circular reasoning to assert that “the Bible says …” as proof of what is being asserted? IOW, science, free of anyone’s theological beliefs, must be shown to support (or contradict) a specific point in the Genesis account. If the argument also hinges on a non-scientific question, such as whether the word “day” (as it is translated in English Bibles) should be thought of as a literal 24 hour period as we now know it, or whether it is acceptable to think of “day” as a generic reference to a (possible long) period of time, then that must be decided prior to, and independent of, the supporting/disproving evidence from science. If you feel the word "day" absolutely refers to 24 hours in the early part of Genesis, then make that clear as part of the position you will be defending.

What about the strong earthquake in Nepal/Mt. Everest, and the Yellowstone and Dallas earthquake, and also the Ohio earthquake and all of these volcanoes erupting? These things make a difference that is not counted for. When this horrid earthquake happens in Phoenix and then one in L.A./Hollywood, what difference will that make with uranium and carbon datings?? The humungous earthquake in Phoenix will be greater than man has ever known. I'm pretty sure it is going to be in Phoenix, but it will be the GREATEST Earthquake on Earth since man has been on Earth. These earthquakes must make a difference in the aging of these two elements.

Michael

MichaelCadry

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
There is no "official" science. And the quote, as you can see, is a simple falsehood. It's why there was no supporting evidence.

I'd be pleased to help if I can. What is your question?

But physicists do. And they actually know about such things

It's quite easy to verify, simply by noting the rate of decay. And that's not hard to measure.

As you have seen, C-14 has nothing to do with the way paleontolgists or geologists learn about the age of the Earth.

It is how they date fossils, etc.

Michael

MichaelCadry

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
In his tunnel-vision distrust of C-14 dating, Michael Cadry puts himself in direct opposition to literally hundreds of Christian sponsored archaeological studies of the Biblical Lands, studies documented in print:

---High-precision radiocarbon dating and historical biblical archaeology in southern Jordan

---Carbon 14 Dating at Jericho

---The Bible and Radiocarbon Dating: Archaeology, Text and Science

---Ancient texts and archaeology revisited – radiocarbon and Biblical dating in the southern Levant

---Radiocarbon Dating Shortens the Timeline for Ancient Egypt

---Etc. etc.

It’s amazing how blind those, like Michael, who have eyes but will not see, really are.

Are these being measured all under 20,000 years? Carbon-14 has it's limits, which is the reason I don't trust it.

Michael

:guitar:

MichaelCadry

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

Dear Davis,

Yes, they wanted to put radiation pellets in me too, but I copped out before that happened. My cancer was a PSA of 6, then it went down to 4, then to 2. Now it's 3. I'm really not worried about it all. I'm not going anywhere until God decides and what I die from will most likely not be from cancer. If it is, whatever. Thanks for the offer on the house, but I already have my eye on a reverse mortgage myself. There is a good amount of equity I have in the house. I would be nuts to sign it over to you. Thanks anyway.

I trust that the Lord will return soon, so it won't matter who gets what soon enough. You can't take it with you. I'm pleased with my life and the Lord has taken good care of me. I have maybe $40,000 equity in my home. I'm not quite sure how much. It has a built-in pool in the backyard. I have a fireplace, skylights, stained-glass windows on each side of the fireplace running from the ceiling to the floor. Lots of things I won't go into. It's a nice house I have been able to live in. God is good to me.

OK! I will find out again in a couple months what my PSA will be. Will let you know, buddy!!

Michael

:guitar: :cheers:

DavisBJ

What about the strong earthquake in Nepal/Mt. Everest, and the Yellowstone and Dallas earthquake, and also the Ohio earthquake and all of these volcanoes erupting? These things make a difference that is not counted for. When this horrid earthquake happens in Phoenix and then one in L.A./Hollywood, what difference will that make with uranium and carbon datings?? The humungous earthquake in Phoenix will be greater than man has ever known. I'm pretty sure it is going to be in Phoenix, but it will be the GREATEST Earthquake on Earth since man has been on Earth. These earthquakes must make a difference in the aging of these two elements.

Michael
Nope. Earthquakes can involve: very high pressures, moderately high temperatures (molten lava), and “mixing” of various chemicals. I already included those in my list of non-factors as far as influencing the nucleus. You got any additional physical factors you want to suggest that might alter the characteristics of the nucleus?

DavisBJ

You know I mean iron-57. Why do you play games instead?
I guessed you meant Fe57, but lately your posts have been so dismissive of things that I just explained to you that I am going to call you on it when you screw up. You aren’t paying enough attention to realize you are typing scientific doo-doo, and then you fault me for pointing it out?
Thanks for being cool and understanding.
Yup, balmy, cool starry night sky outside right now. Some things I understand, some I don’t, and you have to figure out if I am bluffing or not.
God Bless You Continually,
Zeus blesses me sometimes, but he thumps me kinda hard when I shortchange him on sacrificing rare exotic animals.

DavisBJ

Yes, they wanted to put radiation pellets in me too, but I copped out before that happened. My cancer was a PSA of 6, then it went down to 4, then to 2.
What method of treatment did your Dr. use to get your PSA level down?
Thanks for the offer on the house, but I already have my eye on a reverse mortgage myself. There is a good amount of equity I have in the house. I would be nuts to sign it over to you. Thanks anyway.
It’s not nuts if you get sucked up to heaven in the rapture come Christmastime. Remember, you can’t take the house with you, and I’ll bet the reverse mortgage isn’t valid on Venus. If I up the offer to 50% of equity, just think – between now and the end of the year you would have unfettered rights to live in the house just as you do now, plus effectively another crisp hundred dollar bill laying on your doorstep every single day till the end of the year. Tempting, no?

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned
Agree...not compatible.

Really? It is difficult to accept that, since the evidence from all the areas you mentioned does not support a 6000 year old earth. to think otherwise is relying on magic and an old Book coupled with fear of a non-existent deity.
It must be frightening to be you---always to live in fear that if you allow rationality to control you will anger your god and he will burn you forever. Terrible way to have to go through life.

Status
Not open for further replies.