Creation vs. Evolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavisBJ

Innuendo in place of actual data

Innuendo in place of actual data

Dear BJDavis,

Please see the following quote:

"Carbon dating relies on the hypothesis that the date of decay for the element carbon-14 is constant and has remained throughout time. However, this may not be the case and there is evidence to support the opposite case. Using iron-57 and isotopes of uranium-238 experiments have demonstrated that rates of decay not only can vary, they do. Even changing environmental conditions can alter rates of decay.

Carbon dating relies on the assumption that carbon-14 formation remained constant over the years. However, we know that carbon-12 formation was changed by human intervention. The industrial revolution increased carbon-12 concentrations. There is reason to believe that atomic bomb testing carried out in the 1950s may not only have increased neutrons in the surrounding area, but worldwide, causing a change in carbon-14 concentrations. Some scientists now believe that a worldwide flood did occur (similar to the one mentioned in countless religious texts). This would have impacted vegetation and impacted at least carbon-12 and perhaps carbon-14."

www.scienceforums.net › Sciences › Physics

Michael
Scienceforums seems to be open to lots of ideas, some good and some wacko, just as TOL is. I am interested in what the response was to the quotes you offer. I was not able to quickly find the thread in ScienceForums containing the quote you provided, so if you can supply a more detailed path to it in ScienceForums, I would be appreciative.

But, lacking that, let me comment on some of the ideas in your post anyway. Look at the quoted material very carefully, and see if it actually carries its point.
Carbon dating relies on the hypothesis that the date of decay for the element carbon-14 is constant and has remained throughout time.
My hiccup here is due to probably a typo: “date of decay for the element …”. I know the date. It was February 29, 1997. Everyone knows that. Or do you think they might have meant to say “rate of decay for the element …”?
However, this may not be the case and there is evidence to support the opposite case. Using iron-57 and isotopes of uranium-238 experiments have demonstrated that rates of decay not only can vary, they do.
Here we see what may be sloppiness in terminology, when they refer to “isotopes of uranium-238”. Uranium has isotopes. U238 does not have isotopes, it IS an isotope. The way they word it makes no more sense than to speak of the “the species of homo sapiens”, instead of “the homo sapiens species”. It would have been better if they had worded it as “Using iron-57 and uranium-238 isotope experiments…”.

But additionally, and this is my overarching concern that applies to the entire article, is that this is no more than an unsupported generalized assertion. What specific experiments are they speaking of?

I would really like to see this article in context, because of the reference to iron-57 decay. Iron is an end product of many decay chains, and so is considered, for all practical purposes, stable. My CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics (far more than a thousand pages of measured technical physical data on a vast array of substances) doesn’t even list a Half-life for Fe-57.
Even changing environmental conditions can alter rates of decay.
Dalrymple, in his book “The Age of the Earth” discusses tests that were done subjecting radioactive materials to extreme conditions, such as high heat and pressure. It was found that only minor variations in decay rates could be detected in a few samples. As I recall, one of the most extreme changes in decay rate was on the order of 10 or 15%. If that were true of C-14, then the worst case might be that a measured radiological date of 40,000 years ago might actually be closer to 30,000 years ago. Either value makes a 7,000 year old earth into poppycock.
Carbon dating relies on the assumption that carbon-14 formation remained constant over the years.
The Barbarian has already discussed this, and shown that it is simply false. Science is perfectly aware that C-14 levels have fluctuated over time, and recognizing and calibrating for those fluctuations is a part of the dating process.
However, we know that carbon-12 formation was changed by human intervention. The industrial revolution increased carbon-12 concentrations.
Here again I see a significant lack of attention to scientific accuracy. The first of these sentences is speaking about the FORMATION of carbon-12, which formation humans have had very little to do with. Almost every one of those C-12 atoms was in existence long before you or I existed, and will be around long after we have ceased to be. The second sentence is not referring to the formation of C-12, but the concentrations (presumably the concentrations present in the atmosphere). And it is true, the burning of various fossil fuels and things like deforestation release substantial quantities of C-12 into the air. Note that that not FORMING C-12, it is just releasing it from the organic molecules it was locked into for a gazillion years, into mostly CO2 gas. All that will do is slightly change the C-14 to C-12 ratio, but as noted just above, that can be compensated for.
There is reason to believe that atomic bomb testing carried out in the 1950s may not only have increased neutrons in the surrounding area, but worldwide, causing a change in carbon-14 concentrations.
So what? Are you aware of C-14 dating on anything pertinent to age-of-the-earth dating that relies on radiological dates as recent as the last 65 years? The huge majority of applications of C-14 dating deals with ancient archaeological sites (usually at least a few thousand years old), and numerous other studies reaching back several tens of thousands of years. Certainly dates of interest corresponding to the whole Old Testament period far predate any effect of atomic bomb tests.
Some scientists now believe that a worldwide flood did occur (similar to the one mentioned in countless religious texts).
There’s always a small number of scientists on the fringe who support a broad range of goof-ball ideas. What is significant here, though, is that the percentage of scientists in the Western cultures (read “Christian” cultures) that buy into the flood of Noah has dropped dramatically as our understanding of geology, history, archaeology, and related fields has increased.
This would have impacted vegetation and impacted at least carbon-12 and perhaps carbon-14.
A flood that impacted vegetation – so what? The C-14 decay “clock” starts the moment something living dies, whether due to drowning, or old age, or whatever. As to suggesting that the flood might have impacted C-14, how?

Overall, I am highly unimpressed with this article. The grammar is lousy, and the science is even worse. Not a single specific study, data set, measurement, or anything that rises beyond speculation is to be found. Please tell me, Michael, that this is not the level of criticism of C-14 dating that you have had to stoop to. Please?

DavisBJ

Dear BJ,

So what do you think? Some scientists believing there was a worldwide flood that could have impacted C-12 or C-14. Who knows what that could do to Hydrogen or Uranium. See Post #8536. Your feedback?

Michael
Michael, Michael, I guess I should realize you are just a petulant child in an adult’s body. Let’s do some really advanced thinking about this, maybe even up to the 2 + 2 = 4 level. Hydrogen. H. Just H. Each atom of normal hydrogen consists of one electron orbiting one proton. That’s all. You want to measure the half-life? What is the decay going to look like? The emission of an alpha particle from the nucleus? Nope, just ain’t the necessary stuff in that nucleus to make an alpha particle. A neutron emission? Nope, none of those either. Beta decay (meaning, in rough terms, that a neutron, with no charge, emits an electron with negative charge, leaving behind a proton with positive charge where the neutron was)? Nope, still no neutron in the atom to start with. In desperation you might emit the solitary proton, but that would be black magic, since I don't think there is even there is even a weak nuclear force potential well in that nucleus to quantum mechanically tunnel out of. And if that black magic happened, all you have left is a plasma, not even another element. You could call it ionized hydrogen, but that means – ionized or not – it is still just hydrogen, not even an unusual isotope of H. On the other extreme, maybe you are thinking of a worldwide flood somehow combining hydrogen atoms together, into bigger atoms. That is what is called fission, and it requires temperatures and pressures found in just a few places, like inside the sun, and at the center of an exploding atomic bomb. You think the flood is kinda like one of those?

6days

Barbarian said:
From time to time, we see someone try that story. (Global flood) But when asked for some evidence for these scientists and their beliefs, they have nothing to show.
Dishonest....again.*

To be honest you could say you disagree with scientists who say the evidence supports a global flood.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
It would be interesting to hear how crinoids might grow on the top of Mt. Everest. But there they are, firmly rooted in what used to be sea bottom. In fact, Mt., Everest is made of marine fossils. This is a vexing mystery to creationists, but observed plate movement makes it understandable.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Dishonest....again.*

To be honest you could say you disagree with scientists who say the evidence supports a global flood.

I notice that you provided no substantiation, either. That particular issue was ended in the 1800s.

Would you like me to show you that?

DavisBJ

It would be interesting to hear how crinoids might grow on the top of Mt. Everest. But there they are, firmly rooted in what used to be sea bottom. In fact, Mt., Everest is made of marine fossils. This is a vexing mystery to creationists, but observed plate movement makes it understandable.
In layman’s terms, what are crinoids, and what is it about them that makes them unlikely to have been deposited on the top of a high mountain during a flood that covered the mountain for a few months?

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I notice that you provided no substantiation, either. That particular issue was ended in the 1800s.Would you like me to show you that?

There is no pint discussing anything with a man who denies that "six days" might not mean what it plainly says and insists that the Bible and evolution are compatible.

When you've declared your side, you might be able to be part of a rational discussion.

Ben Masada

That's what makes this whole thing so entertaining. "What are those crazy young earth creationists going to say next?"

To start with Albert Einstein, he was working on a formula about the Extension of the universe when he was asked if he believed in God and his answer was that all his life was trying to catch God at His working of Creation. (From his book "Out of My Latter Years") "Young" I would not say so, but "crazy"! I don't think he was one for believing that the Expansion of the universe was the result of God's work of Creation.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
There is no pint discussing anything with a man who denies that "six days" might not mean what it plainly says

Oh, absolutely. Did anyone ever explain to you what two negatives mean in English?

and insists that the Bible and evolution are compatible.

As most of the world's Christians do.

As you learned, "yom" does not mean only "day" and long before Darwin, Christians noted that it could not mean literal days.

When you've declared your side,

I'll go with those Christians.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
In layman’s terms, what are crinoids, and what is it about them that makes them unlikely to have been deposited on the top of a high mountain during a flood that covered the mountain for a few months?

They are echinoderms, like starfish or sea urchins, only they are quite delicate and rooted to rocks. So, intact crinoids still rooted to rock, could only have been fossilized in place under water.

The fact that there are layers upon layers of these fossils within the mountain makes it clear that they could not have formed in one year.

Today, we know that India, moving north against Asia, caused the rock to pile up and form the Himalayas. We can measure the motion, which is still happening.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
As you learned, "yom" does not mean only "day" and long before Darwin, Christians noted that it could not mean literal days. I'll go with those Christians.

The Bible says "six days." When you've learned to deal with the fact that "six days" utterly rules out any possibility of evolution, then you can be part of a rational discussion — maybe.

Spoiler
Global_plate_motion_2008-04-17.jpg

MichaelCadry

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
From time to time, we see someone try that story. But when asked for some evidence for these scientists and their beliefs, they have nothing to show.

How about you?

What do you mean, how about me? I've said what I thought and offered a quote. It's official. I gave you the quote that scientists believe in a worldwide flood. It seems that no one of you can answer my questions about hydrogen or uranium dating and performance in their "half-lives." I do not believe that their half-lives are being measured accurately, to be honest. And it's nothing that science can prove, until we wait for the life of the element to be reached. A little fire and your C-14 dating will be obsolete.

Michael

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Barbarian observes:
As you learned, "yom" does not mean only "day" and long before Darwin, Christians noted that it could not mean literal days. I'll go with those Christians.

Stipe prefers his man-made re-interpretation:
The Bible says "six days." When you've learned to deal with the fact that "six days" utterly rules out any possibility of evolution, then you can be part of a rational discussion — maybe.

I don't think denial is going to help you at this point, Stipe. Your modern doctrine is at odds with the Bible.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
What do you mean, how about me? I've said what I thought and offered a quote. It's official.

There is no "official" science. And the quote, as you can see, is a simple falsehood. It's why there was no supporting evidence.

I gave you the quote that scientists believe in a worldwide flood. It seems that no one of you can answer my questions about hydrogen or uranium dating and performance in their "half-lives."

I'd be pleased to help if I can. What is your question?

I do not believe that their half-lives are being measured accurately, to be honest.

But physicists do. And they actually know about such things

And it's nothing that science can prove, until we wait for the life of the element to be reached.

It's quite easy to verify, simply by noting the rate of decay. And that's not hard to measure.

A little fire and your C-14 dating will be obsolete.

As you have seen, C-14 has nothing to do with the way paleontolgists or geologists learn about the age of the Earth.

DavisBJ

Alas, There Is No Cure For Intentional Ignorance

Alas, There Is No Cure For Intentional Ignorance

… I gave you the quote that scientists believe in a worldwide flood.
Already answered (but ignored by you).
It seems that no one of you can answer my questions about hydrogen or uranium dating and performance in their "half-lives."
Already answered (but ignored by you).
I do not believe that their half-lives are being measured accurately, to be honest.
Prostate Cancer – know what that is? One of the several treatments for it was (is?) the implantation of radioactive pellets whose radiation interferes with the intricate biology of the rapidly dividing cancer cells. But, according to you, that medical procedure must be a wild stab in the dark, based on poorly understood radioactive half-lives.
And it's nothing that science can prove, until we wait for the life of the element to be reached.
Just as I suspected. The explanation I gave a week ago about the ability to accurately measure decay rates and it’s relation to half-lives didn’t register at all with you.

This whole conversation with you has been an example of a truism from your Holy Book: “Don’t cast your pearls before ….”

6days

Barbarian said:
Your modern doctrine (Six day creation)
More dishonesty from you since you KNOW Christians have always argued against compromise in Genesis.*
You have seen quotes from early church fathers going back to about 100AD *arguing that God created and rested in the span of 7 literal 24 hour days.
If anyone interested.. will be glad to provide sources.

Barbarian said:
(Six day creation) is at odds with the Bible.
Ex. 20:11 "*For*in*six days the*Lord*made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that*is*in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the*Lord*blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it."

DavisBJ

In his tunnel-vision distrust of C-14 dating, Michael Cadry puts himself in direct opposition to literally hundreds of Christian sponsored archaeological studies of the Biblical Lands, studies documented in print:

---High-precision radiocarbon dating and historical biblical archaeology in southern Jordan

---Carbon 14 Dating at Jericho

---The Bible and Radiocarbon Dating: Archaeology, Text and Science

---Ancient texts and archaeology revisited – radiocarbon and Biblical dating in the southern Levant

---Radiocarbon Dating Shortens the Timeline for Ancient Egypt

---Etc. etc.

It’s amazing how blind those, like Michael, who have eyes but will not see, really are.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Barbarian observes:
Your modern doctrine is at odds with the Bible.

More dishonesty from you since you KNOW Christians have always argued against compromise in Genesis.*

But they have not always advocated a literal 6 day creation. In fact, the most influential Christian theologian in the early centuries of our faith pointed out that a literal 6 day creation could not be logically supported by Genesis. St. Augustine showed that the "yom" mentioned in Genesis was about the categories of creation, not literal days.

And no one thought to argue with him about it. There might have been dissenters, but they didn't challenge him over it.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Barbarian observes:
As you learned, "yom" does not mean only "day" and long before Darwin, Christians noted that it could not mean literal days. I'll go with those Christians.Stipe prefers his man-made re-interpretation:I don't think denial is going to help you at this point, Stipe. Your modern doctrine is at odds with the Bible.

The Bible says "six days." Pretending that it is compatible with your evolutionism eliminates you from any sensible participation in a rational discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.