Creation vs. Evolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
The Bible says "six days."

The word was "yom", which as you learned, can mean all sorts of things from "forever" to "a few hours."

You just adjusted it to fit your beliefs.

And the ancient Christians knew this. While there were always differing opinions on what it mean, a literal 24-hour day was never the consensus.

MichaelCadry

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Scienceforums seems to be open to lots of ideas, some good and some wacko, just as TOL is. I am interested in what the response was to the quotes you offer. I was not able to quickly find the thread in ScienceForums containing the quote you provided, so if you can supply a more detailed path to it in ScienceForums, I would be appreciative.

But, lacking that, let me comment on some of the ideas in your post anyway. Look at the quoted material very carefully, and see if it actually carries its point.

My hiccup here is due to probably a typo: “date of decay for the element …”. I know the date. It was February 29, 1997. Everyone knows that. Or do you think they might have meant to say “rate of decay for the element …”?

Here we see what may be sloppiness in terminology, when they refer to “isotopes of uranium-238”. Uranium has isotopes. U238 does not have isotopes, it IS an isotope. The way they word it makes no more sense than to speak of the “the species of homo sapiens”, instead of “the homo sapiens species”. It would have been better if they had worded it as “Using iron-57 and uranium-238 isotope experiments…”.

But additionally, and this is my overarching concern that applies to the entire article, is that this is no more than an unsupported generalized assertion. What specific experiments are they speaking of?

I would really like to see this article in context, because of the reference to iron-57 decay. Iron is an end product of many decay chains, and so is considered, for all practical purposes, stable. My CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics (far more than a thousand pages of measured technical physical data on a vast array of substances) doesn’t even list a Half-life for Fe-57.

Dalrymple, in his book “The Age of the Earth” discusses tests that were done subjecting radioactive materials to extreme conditions, such as high heat and pressure. It was found that only minor variations in decay rates could be detected in a few samples. As I recall, one of the most extreme changes in decay rate was on the order of 10 or 15%. If that were true of C-14, then the worst case might be that a measured radiological date of 40,000 years ago might actually be closer to 30,000 years ago. Either value makes a 7,000 year old earth into poppycock.

The Barbarian has already discussed this, and shown that it is simply false. Science is perfectly aware that C-14 levels have fluctuated over time, and recognizing and calibrating for those fluctuations is a part of the dating process.

Here again I see a significant lack of attention to scientific accuracy. The first of these sentences is speaking about the FORMATION of carbon-12, which formation humans have had very little to do with. Almost every one of those C-12 atoms was in existence long before you or I existed, and will be around long after we have ceased to be. The second sentence is not referring to the formation of C-12, but the concentrations (presumably the concentrations present in the atmosphere). And it is true, the burning of various fossil fuels and things like deforestation release substantial quantities of C-12 into the air. Note that that not FORMING C-12, it is just releasing it from the organic molecules it was locked into for a gazillion years, into mostly CO2 gas. All that will do is slightly change the C-14 to C-12 ratio, but as noted just above, that can be compensated for.

So what? Are you aware of C-14 dating on anything pertinent to age-of-the-earth dating that relies on radiological dates as recent as the last 65 years? The huge majority of applications of C-14 dating deals with ancient archaeological sites (usually at least a few thousand years old), and numerous other studies reaching back several tens of thousands of years. Certainly dates of interest corresponding to the whole Old Testament period far predate any effect of atomic bomb tests.

There’s always a small number of scientists on the fringe who support a broad range of goof-ball ideas. What is significant here, though, is that the percentage of scientists in the Western cultures (read “Christian” cultures) that buy into the flood of Noah has dropped dramatically as our understanding of geology, history, archaeology, and related fields has increased.

A flood that impacted vegetation – so what? The C-14 decay “clock” starts the moment something living dies, whether due to drowning, or old age, or whatever. As to suggesting that the flood might have impacted C-14, how?

Overall, I am highly unimpressed with this article. The grammar is lousy, and the science is even worse. Not a single specific study, data set, measurement, or anything that rises beyond speculation is to be found. Please tell me, Michael, that this is not the level of criticism of C-14 dating that you have had to stoop to. Please?

Dear BJ,

I'm so sorry. I thought the article would be easy to find, but I tried to find it again and came up empty. What a bite! I've even tried typing in phrases of it into my browser, but still no luck. I initially went to 'Carbon-14 dating accuracy' or something to that effect. Well, I hope you are doing fine today! It looks like a lot of posts and work to do here. Eeeeek!!

Warmest Regards and Best Wishes, BJ,

Michael

6days

Barbarian said:
6days said:
More dishonesty from you since you KNOW Christians have always argued against compromise in Genesis.

But they have not always advocated a literal 6 day creation.

Since before the time of Christ, people have made various forms of evolutionary, long age arguments against scripture. Modern day evolutionists follow in the footsteps of ancient Greeks and Epicureans who Paul argued against.

Others such as Ehrem the Syrian (306-373AD), a influential theologian who knew Hebrew said "So let no one think that there is anything allegorical in the works of the six days. No one can rightly say that the things pertaining to these days were symbolic, nor can one say that they were meaningless names or that other things were symbolized for us by their names."

Barbarian said:
In fact, the most influential Christian theologian in the early centuries of our faith pointed out that a literal 6 day creation could not be logically supported by Genesis. St. Augustine showed that the "yom" mentioned in Genesis was about the categories of creation, not literal days.
Augustine(354-430AD), who did not know Hebrew thought God created in an instant. (His Latin translation permitted the idea, he thought) He too rejected the evolutionary ideas and long age beliefs of his day. Augustines theology is diametrically opposed to theistic evolution of today which destroys the gospel, placing death before sin. Augustine said "There are some people who complain when we claim man was created so late (recently). They say he must have been created countless and infinite ages ago, and not as recorded in scripture, less than 6000 years ago."

MichaelCadry

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Dear BJ,

I found it. See as follows:

Problems with Carbon Dating - Chemistry. Answers.com
chem.answers.com/environment/problems-with-carbon-dating

That's it right there.

Michael

MichaelCadry

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
You might “comprehend” radiometric dating (whatever “comprehend” is supposed to mean), but you have clearly shown you DO NOT have a very robust understanding of it. As I have already discussed, until your variables are so powerful as to alter the weak nuclear force, then you are just blowing smoke.

Dear Davis,

I found what you are looking for. The website which includes that excerpt that I used. Comprehend means I understand it. No, I am not an authority on it. I take it that you aren't either. I've been trying to get simple answers for my questions and get nowhere. It's like none of you know the answers.

The question is, does hydrogen57 and uranium-238 dating methods have a possibility of being inaccurate.

Thanks BJ,

Michael

What about the strong earthquake in Nepal/Mt. Everest, and Yellowstone and Dallas earthquake, and also the Ohio earthquake. These things make a difference that is not counted for. When this horrid earthquake happens in Phoenix and then one in L.A./Hollywood, what difference will that make with uranium and carbon datings?? The humungous earthquake in Phoenix will be greater than man has ever known. I'm pretty sure it is going to be in Phoenix, but it will be the GREATEST Earthquake on Earth since man has been on Earth. These earthquakes must make a difference in the aging of these two elements.

Michael

Last edited:

MichaelCadry

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Michael, Michael, I guess I should realize you are just a petulant child in an adult’s body. Let’s do some really advanced thinking about this, maybe even up to the 2 + 2 = 4 level. Hydrogen. H. Just H. Each atom of normal hydrogen consists of one electron orbiting one proton. That’s all. You want to measure the half-life? What is the decay going to look like? The emission of an alpha particle from the nucleus? Nope, just ain’t the necessary stuff in that nucleus to make an alpha particle. A neutron emission? Nope, none of those either. Beta decay (meaning, in rough terms, that a neutron, with no charge, emits an electron with negative charge, leaving behind a proton with positive charge where the neutron was)? Nope, still no neutron in the atom to start with. In desperation you might emit the solitary proton, but that would be black magic, since I don't think there is even there is even a weak nuclear force potential well in that nucleus to quantum mechanically tunnel out of. And if that black magic happened, all you have left is a plasma, not even another element. You could call it ionized hydrogen, but that means – ionized or not – it is still just hydrogen, not even an unusual isotope of H. On the other extreme, maybe you are thinking of a worldwide flood somehow combining hydrogen atoms together, into bigger atoms. That is what is called fission, and it requires temperatures and pressures found in just a few places, like inside the sun, and at the center of an exploding atomic bomb. You think the flood is kinda like one of those?

Dear Davis,

Nothing would surprise me. All I can say is I don't trust hydrogen-57 dating, nor carbon-14 dating. Science is too fallible for me to put my trust in such methods. Other scientists are persuaded and so am I.

Michael

MichaelCadry

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
There is no "official" science. And the quote, as you can see, is a simple falsehood. It's why there was no supporting evidence.

I'd be pleased to help if I can. What is your question?

But physicists do. And they actually know about such things

It's quite easy to verify, simply by noting the rate of decay. And that's not hard to measure.

As you have seen, C-14 has nothing to do with the way paleontolgists or geologists learn about the age of the Earth.

You can't just sit and watch something decay in order to mention it's half-life. All kinds of other factors have an adverse reaction to that decaying. So whatever.

Michael

MichaelCadry

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Already answered (but ignored by you).

Already answered (but ignored by you).

Prostate Cancer – know what that is? One of the several treatments for it was (is?) the implantation of radioactive pellets whose radiation interferes with the intricate biology of the rapidly dividing cancer cells. But, according to you, that medical procedure must be a wild stab in the dark, based on poorly understood radioactive half-lives.

Just as I suspected. The explanation I gave a week ago about the ability to accurately measure decay rates and it’s relation to half-lives didn’t register at all with you.

This whole conversation with you has been an example of a truism from your Holy Book: “Don’t cast your pearls before ….”

I had prostate cancer, BJ. I got it removed but they left some cancer cells in me. I got radiation treatments for a week, and decided not to continue. That does nothing to accommodate half-lives. Just because they work at a specific time and place, all of the variables that could happen to them could destroy their dating ability. They wanted me to do radiation for 8 weeks, at a cost of $6,000 for my copay. Don't have the money. Anyway, I still have cancer in me. But it's miniscule.

Michael

MichaelCadry

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Okay All,

I did not answer those posts which were directed to someone else's post. So you all might want to check if your posts were answered by the person they were directed at. It is not fair for me to answer posts that were directed to another, even though I could. Thanks! Will be back in a couple hours.

Michael

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The word was "yom", which as you learned, can mean all sorts of things from "forever" to "a few hours."You just adjusted it to fit your beliefs.And the ancient Christians knew this. While there were always differing opinions on what it mean, a literal 24-hour day was never the consensus.
Meanwhile, the Bible says "six days." You say: "billions of years"...

...Book is incorrect.

...if you joined your brethren, you might be able to be part of a rational discussion.

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned
Meanwhile, the Bible says "six days." You say: "billions of years"...

...if you joined your brethren, you might be able to be part of a rational discussion.

Your Book is wrong. It is not 6 days. A rational discussion based on your claims is not possible. Good for a few chuckles but not very rational.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
A rational discussion based on your claims is not possible.
Actually, it is.

I assert "six days." You assert "not six days."

Perfectly rational.

However, when the Bible says "six days," it is entirely irrational to assert that the Bible means "not six days."

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Since before the time of Christ, people have made various forms of evolutionary, long age arguments against scripture.

Not possible. Scripture does not say how old the Earth is. Your modern revision of Genesis is not consistent with the teachings of early Christians like St. Augustine and others, as well as against pre-Darwinian Christians like Charles Spurgeon, who wrote in the early 1800s:

But if you will look in the first chapter of Genesis, you will see there more particularly set forth that peculiar operation of power upon the universe which was put forth by the Holy Spirit; you will then discover what was his special work. In Ge 1:2, we read, “And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.” We do not know how remote the period of the creation of this globe may be—certainly many millions of years before the time of Adam. Our planet has passed through various stages of existence, and different kinds of creatures have lived on its surface, all of which have been fashioned by God.
Charles Spurgeon, sermon 30

Modern day creationists follow in the footsteps of ancient Greeks and Epicureans who Paul argued against.

Others such as Ehrem the Syrian (306-373AD), a influential theologian

Never heard of him. On the other hand...

Originally Posted by Barbarian
In fact, the most influential Christian theologian in the early centuries of our faith pointed out that a literal 6 day creation could not be logically supported by Genesis. St. Augustine showed that the "yom" mentioned in Genesis was about the categories of creation, not literal days.

Augustine(354-430AD), who did not know Hebrew thought God created in an instant.

Which is true. The Bible says it happened within a single day. And then, God says that all things then came forth from that creation as He willed.

If you have to dredge up an obscure theologian to counter the most significant theologian of early Christianity, isn't that a clue for you?

He (Augustine) too rejected the evolutionary ideas and long age beliefs of his day.

The scientific consensus at the time was for a young earth, and Augustine accepted that. He was, however, aware that trying to insert our own ideas into scripture was a mistake and so wrote that we should always be willing to revise our ideas of scripture, if facts show them to be wrong.

Augustine took the view that the Biblical text should be interpreted metaphorically, if a literal interpretation contradicts science and our God-given reason. While each passage of Scripture has a literal sense, this "literal sense" does not always mean that the Scriptures are mere history; at times they are rather an extended metaphor.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Augustine_of_Hippo

Augustines theology is diametrically opposed to theistic evolution of today

Guess why I can tell that you've never actually read St. Augustine. In fact, he said that creation was instantaneous, and that other things unfolded naturally from that creastion, including animals.

You've been badly misled. Do not let your devotion to your man-made doctrine of creationism, lead you away from God.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Not possible. Scripture does not say how old the Earth is. Your modern revision of Genesis is not consistent with the teachings of early Christians like St. Augustine and others, as well as against pre-Darwinian Christians like Charles Spurgeon, who wrote in the early 1800s:COLOR="DarkRed"]But if you will look in the first chapter of Genesis, you will see there more particularly set forth that peculiar operation of power upon the universe which was put forth by the Holy Spirit; you will then discover what was his special work. In Ge 1:2, we read, “And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.” We do not know how remote the period of the creation of this globe may be—certainly many millions of years before the time of Adam. Our planet has passed through various stages of existence, and different kinds of creatures have lived on its surface, all of which have been fashioned by God.[/COLOR] Charles Spurgeon, I]sermon 30 [/I]Modern day creationists follow in the footsteps of ancient Greeks and Epicureans who Paul argued against.Never heard of him. On the other hand...Originally Posted by BarbarianIn fact, the most influential Christian theologian in the early centuries of our faith pointed out that a literal 6 day creation could not be logically supported by Genesis. St. Augustine showed that the "yom" mentioned in Genesis was about the categories of creation, not literal days.Which is true. The Bible says it happened within a single day. And then, God says that all things then came forth from that creation as He willed.If you have to dredge up an obscure theologian to counter the most significant theologian of early Christianity, isn't that a clue for you?The scientific consensus at the time was for a young earth, and Augustine accepted that. He was, however, aware that trying to insert our own ideas into scripture was a mistake and so wrote that we should always be willing to revise our ideas of scripture, if facts show them to be wrong.COLOR="DarkRed"]Augustine took the view that the Biblical text should be interpreted metaphorically, if a literal interpretation contradicts science and our God-given reason. While each passage of Scripture has a literal sense, this "literal sense" does not always mean that the Scriptures are mere history; at times they are rather an extended metaphor./COLORrl]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Augustine_of_Hippo[/url]Guess why I can tell that you've never actually read St. Augustine. In fact, he said that creation was instantaneous, and that other things unfolded naturally from that creastion, including animals.You've been badly misled. Do not let your devotion to your man-made doctrine of creationism, lead you away from God.

Meanwhile, you say "billions of years," while claiming to adhere to the Bible, which says: "six days." When you've rejected one of those mutually exclusive positions, you could be part of a rational discussion.

Last edited:

6days

Barbarian said:
6days said:
Since before the time of Christ, people have made various forms of evolutionary, long age arguments against scripture.
Not possible.
Of course its possible and you have seen the evidence.

Barbarian said:
6days said:
Others such as Ephrem the Syrian (306-373AD), a influential theologian who*knew Hebrew*said*"So let no one think that there is anything allegorical in the works of the six days. No one can rightly say that the things pertaining to these days were symbolic, nor can one say that they were meaningless names or that other things were symbolized for us by their names."
Never heard of him.
Yes you have.*

You made a similar comment about him and others last time I mentioned him and other early church fathers who rejected long age compromise in scripture.

Barbarian said:
6days said:
Augustine(354-430AD), who*did not know Hebrew*thought God created in an instant. (His Latin translation permitted the idea, he thought) He too rejected the evolutionary ideas and long age beliefs of his day. Augustines theology is diametrically opposed to theistic evolution of today which destroys the gospel, placing death before sin. Augustine said*"There are some people who complain when we claim man was created so late (recently). They say he must have been created countless and infinite ages ago, and not as recorded in scripture, less than 6000 years ago."

Which is true.

Yup.*

Barbarian said:
If you have to dredge up an obscure theologian to counter the most significant theologian of early Christianity, isn't that a clue for you?

"Dredging up" early church fathers was to show*that Christians have always been arguing against inserting long ages into scripture.*

Barbarian said:
6days said:
He (Augustine) too rejected the evolutionary ideas and long age beliefs of his day.

The scientific consensus at the time was for a young earth, and Augustine accepted that.

Wrong...the Greeks believed in an old earth.**Augustine said*"There are some people who complain when we claim man was created so late (recently). They say he must have been created countless and infinite ages ago, and not as recorded in scripture, less than 6000 years ago"

6days

Meanwhile, you say "billions of years," while claiming to adhere to the Bible, which says: "six days." When you've rejected one of those mutually exclusive positions, you could be part of a rational discussion.
Agree.
Adding billions of years into scripture wouldn't be a big deal...if it didn't destroy the gospel.
Original sin brought death pain and suffering into our world. The Last Adam, Christ defeated pgysical death and we can join Him in the resurrection where there will be no death...no pain. .no suffering...He will wipe away every tear.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Agree.
Adding billions of years into scripture wouldn't be a big deal...if it didn't destroy the gospel.
Original sin brought death pain and suffering into our world. The Last Adam, Christ defeated pgysical death and we can join Him in the resurrection where there will be no death...no pain. .no suffering...He will wipe away every tear.

:thumb:

The gospel is what they are desperately trying to avoid by pretending that "six days" and "billions of years" are compatible.

Status
Not open for further replies.