Christian Homeschoolers Sell Daughter in Arranged Marriage

elohiym

And here we have yet another in the massive crowd of reasons for greater government oversight into homeschooling.

The government already requires me to have my children tested at certain grade levels. What more intrusion would you like to see?

Over the years, I've read about a number of cases where public school teachers were having sexual intercourse with their under age students. Here's a story about a Florida public high school prostitution ring. Are those more in the massive crowd of reasons to keep children out of public school?

Word based mystic

sorry

sorry

Christian Homeschoolers Sell Daughter into Arranged Marriage, Give Discount Because She's "Damaged Goods"

And here we have yet another in the massive crowd of reasons for greater government oversight into homeschooling.

That you choose to educate your child instead of taking advantage of public education does NOT give you the right to lock them down and control their lives to this kind of Orwellian degree.

My own family has seen the dark side of homeschooling.
My uncle kept his three kids trapped at home for EIGHT YEARS under the guise of homeschooling, and because they lived in Oklahoma there was ZERO government oversight and ZERO accountability...and zero actual schooling going on.
No outside interaction allowed except with family, no Internet access, no TV.
All decisions made by Father, no discussion or disagreement allowed.
Any violations or seeming violations of Father's will were met with violent retribution.

The rest of the family was legally powerless to intervene.
Nothing changed until my oldest cousin turned 18 and attempted to physically leave the house, only to be assaulted by my uncle.
My cousin ended up stabbing him and nearly killing him.

A jury acquitted my cousin after the mountain of evidence of eight years' worth of repression and abuse came to light.
Now my uncle is sitting in a cell, but his children, though now adults, are all emotionally and developmentally stunted, to say nothing of traumatized.

sad

Granite

Hall of Fame
Is this bizarre obsession/paranoia about public school based on the guilt of some parents, or something? Weird.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Someone please explain to Granite what we are discussing.

I know full well. And your ideas about public school are often if not usually at odds with reality.

Maybe it's the idea that losing any kind of control over your child that unnerves people, or something. One way or another it's semi-pathological.

elohiym

I know full well. And your ideas about public school are often if not usually at odds with reality.

Specifically what "ideas about public school" of mine are at odds with reality? I doubt you could give one example.

Maybe it's the idea that losing any kind of control over your child that unnerves people, or something.

Maybe it's the idea of a person like you having control over their children unnerves people. That's what does it for me.

One way or another it's semi-pathological.

Like your participation on this thread?

Word based mystic

Maybe it's the idea that losing any kind of control over your child that unnerves people, or something. One way or another it's semi-pathological.

are you saying that choosing to educate your children yourselves is somehow a pathological disorder.

But letting someone whom you don't know to control your childs education and moral input is a more intelligent approach?

Granite

Hall of Fame
Specifically what "ideas about public school" of mine are at odds with reality? I doubt you could give one example.

You seem to buy into a caricature that doesn't really exist. Kinda like Jack Chick's mentality.

Maybe it's the idea of a person like you having control over their children unnerves people.

People like me are disinterested in children.:chuckle:

Granite

Hall of Fame
are you saying that choosing to educate your children yourselves is somehow a pathological disorder.

Ummm...no. Not at all. And it might interest you to know I was homeschooled till my sophomore year in high school.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I don't think "moron" quite covers it.

The problem with lack of any oversight is that certain people can flash a homeschooler badge as a means of getting away with an awful lot. I saw that happen a few times and the results are incredibly grim.
Far worse happens in a public school a million times over on any given day.

I mean really.... think about it.... while a homeschooler is typically winning the spelling bee or getting a scholarship to college the average public school kid is having a child out of wedlock and hooked on meth.

I don't think homeschoolers are the threat to society.

Granite

Hall of Fame

I mean really.... think about it.... while a homeschooler is typically winning the spelling bee or getting a scholarship to college the average public school kid is having a child out of wedlock and hooked on meth.

Neither generalization's accurate, Knight. Come on. And I don't consider either group of students to be a threat to society--I certainly wouldn't consider the vast majority of American children to be a pending "threat," which seems to be your implication. Again, public schools aren't the baby-eating Baal-worshipping work camps you think they are, any more than the typical parochial school is a Bible-bashing indoctrination center.

The Berean

I know a lot of homeschoolers and what is described in the OP is an extremely rare exception. I don't buy that fathers are selling their daughters is common practice among homeschoolers.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Right, because arranged marriage is something we should just shrug off.:rolleyes:

Let's not forget what started this party.

P.S. Maybe I should have clarified: I'm not terribly interested in your kids (unless they haven't gotten a polio vaccine and want to go swimming in a public pool), much less in educating them. I mean, knock yourself out and I hope the homeschooling goes well. Hope that clears it up.:cheers:

Jose Fly

Is this bizarre obsession/paranoia about public school based on the guilt of some parents, or something? Weird.
Are you kidding? Pay attention to Christian right-wing talk shows and media sources, and you'll soon find out that to them, the US public schools are a haven for godlessness, gays, sex, drugs....(but not enough guns apparently).

Granite

Hall of Fame
Are you kidding? Pay attention to Christian right-wing talk shows and media sources, and you'll soon find out that to them, the US public schools are a haven for godlessness, gays, sex, drugs....(but not enough guns apparently).

Yeah, they must've gone to the really cool high schools where everyone had sex...as opposed to, ya know, being an awkward and sexless teenager.:chuckle:

elohiym

Right, because arranged marriage is something we should just shrug off.:rolleyes:

Let's not forget what started this party.

Get this straight: anyone selling his daughter for "marriage" is not a Christian and not arranging a marriage.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Get this straight: anyone selling his daughter for "marriage" is not a Christian and not arranging a marriage.

And I certainly hope you let the Christians here who support arranged marriage know that, when and if they show up on this thread or elsewhere.