Bob Enyart Child Abuse- spanking conviction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Some children need corporal punishment and others don't. I for one am uncomfortable with the militancy with which spanking is advocated by some people here, and I certainly don't presume to think there's a universal standard for child rearing.

That said, I'll do everything in my power to make sure I either never have to spank my children or if that ever happens it's an extremely rare event.

chair

We have raised 4 kids. They are all fine, thank you. We rarely spanked them, and never, but never with a belt or anything like that. Spanking is a way of showing extreme displeasure. You don't need to inflict a lot of pain to do that.

You can discipline kids without beating them. I was raised that way, I raised my kids that way, and I see my grandchildren being raised that way. Yes, that includes not touching the hot stove. You don't need to hit them with a belt, and you don't need to let them get burned. You really don't.

Those who think that you need to take a belt to your kid in order to disciple them probably were raised that way themselves, and can't see any other way of getting their kids to behave. It's common and unfortunate.

C

cattyfan

I should probably clarify my position: I don't believe in spanking using a paddle, belt, or any other object. That is far more pain than should be needed (or used) to get a point across. Also spanking should be a last resort.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I should probably clarify my position: I don't believe in spanking using a paddle, belt, or any other object. That is far more pain than should be needed (or used) to get a point across. Also spanking should be a last resort.
I couldn't disagree more.

I agree with God that a spanking should be done with some type of instrument (we like to use a wooden spoon) and it should be painful (that is the mechanism that trains).

If the spankings are not painful you will end up spanking your kids (or disciplining them) way more than you should.

Spank correctly and you wont need to spank much at all!

Last edited:

Granite

Hall of Fame

I'm with you...very easy to cross a line once an object's being used. Frankly it's easy to cross the line, period, once you start using corporal punishment...which is why some parents shouldn't even go there.

Corporal punishment should never be a parent's first instinct or resort to a disciplinary problem.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
That said, I'll do everything in my power to make sure I either never have to spank my children or if that ever happens it's an extremely rare event.
:up:

That's why it's important to spank properly! If you do.... you wont need to spank hardly at all.

chair

I agree with God that a spanking should be done with some type of instrument (we like to use a wooden spoon) and it should be painful (that is the mechanism that trains).

If the spankings are not painful you will end up spanking your kids (or disciplining them) way more than you should.

Well, you are wrong. We didn't spank with an instrument, and rarely needed to spank at all. And the kids ended up OK, without any awful disciplining as you suggest.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Well, you are wrong. We didn't spank with an instrument, and rarely needed to spank at all. And the kids ended up OK, without any awful disciplining as you suggest.
I didn't realize that right an wrong revolved around your anecdotal experience. :doh:

PDeverit

Child buttock-beating for God?

Child buttock-beating for God?

Do you know what selective literalism means? Do you know who Desmond Tutu is? Do you have more insight into the mind of God than he or any other of the Christian and other organizations I have listed? More than Abraham Lincoln (a non-"spanker") More insights into parenting? Into extremely difficult-to-manage behavior?

"A person who does odious acts in God's Name alienates people from God...God suffers from the acts of those who do evil in his name"
Rabbi Telushkin on the Third Commandment "Do not [misuse] my Name for evil purposes.

I invite you to search how people used the bible for slavery, oppression of women and spousal abuse, racial segregation and discrimination, and infidelity to one's spouse.

"When I do good I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad, and that is my religion."
Abraham Lincoln

Then again, its your free-will, and a man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Do you know what selective literalism means? Do you know who Desmond Tutu is? Do you have more insight into the mind of God than he or any other of the Christian and other organizations I have listed? More than Abraham Lincoln (a non-"spanker") More insights into parenting? Into extremely difficult-to-manage behavior?

"A person who does odious acts in God's Name alienates people from God...God suffers from the acts of those who do evil in his name"
Rabbi Telushkin on the Third Commandment "Do not [misuse] my Name for evil purposes.

I invite you to search how people used the bible for slavery, oppression of women and spousal abuse, racial segregation and discrimination, and infidelity to one's spouse.

"When I do good I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad, and that is my religion."
Abraham Lincoln

Then again, its your free-will, and a man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.
And then Knight said...

chair

You made this categorical statement. I brought a counter example. So to say the above is categorically true is incorrect.

If you meant something statistical here, I would be interested in seeing teh supporting statistics.

Tanaduk

Children are different. After my first child I could not for the life of me figure out why people spanked. I said stand in the corner and she stood. If she moved I took her back and she stayed. If I told her to stop screaming she did. I never had to use corporal punishment. I even went so far as to tell her light sockets were bad and never touch them and she never did and proceeded to tell all her friends when she was 2, yes really! Now, I was supermom and couldn't figure out what was wrong with parents THEN I had child number 2. Nothing worked with her. She was a stinker. When told to stand in the corner it never worked I mean NEVER. I held her there until she quit screaming. It took hours and I'm not exagerrating. The kerosene heater became a game for her. She'd put her hand on it and look you straight in the eye and as soon as the adult reacted she'd run laughing, I'm not kidding. We eventually spanked and guess what? She learned. It was absolutely amazing. Then along came another child. I figured I had this down pat. He was even worse. When he was older he even asked once, "How many spankings will I get if I do this?" Oh yes, ladies and gentlemen children are very different and require different disciplines. You simply cannot say every single child will never need any type of physical discipline. In order for son to quit playing with the light sockets we had to use corporal punishment - more than once. He's a great kid now and could replace said sockets for anyone who needed it but the discipline protected him until he made it to the age of handling electricity safely. Believe me we did try negotiating and everything else with him - didn't work. Besides, hubby and I read Proverbs and it works most excellently. Corporal punishment not only turned 2 of my children into well-behaved and happy (yes happy) children, it also protected them from burning or electrocuting themselves. The older one never really needed much physical discipline.

My 2 cents

PDeverit

You were spanked and you turned out Ok?

You were spanked and you turned out Ok?

You were "spanked" and you turned out OK?

Very Respectful. Something you learned from being hit?
I would suggest reading all the posts to which I was referencing before insulting my intelligence and exposing your ignorance (and maybe watching a little less television).

Last edited:

WizardofOz

You were "spanked" and you turned out OK?

Very Respectful. Something you learned from being hit?
I would suggest reading all the posts to which I was referencing before insulting my intelligence and exposing your ignorance (and maybe watching a little less television).

Take it slow big guy. You're eyes are bigger than your stomach.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
All kids are different (something allsmiles has no clue about). I have raised 6 awesome kids and each one has been different from the other.

Some of them required frequent spankings to keep them pointed in the right direction, while others required almost no spankings their entire life.

Not all of them are grown-up yet, but so far they are 6 of the neatest kids you will ever meet and not one of them would trade the discipline they have received in their lives for anything else.
I didn't need that many spankings myself. I was very well behaved. And the only person to ever disagree was my dad's second wife whose daughter shoplifted, smoked and had sex all before high school. And then proceeded to lie about all of them, of course.

But she could do no wrong, apparently. My favorite is how my step mom loved to "insult" my music by claiming it sounded like secular music, all the while her daughter listened to Usher, The Cranberries, Matchbox Twenty, etc.:kookoo:

I already agreed with Knight that I have no children. I have been a child who was subjected to physically violent discipline and I have had five younger brothers and sisters.
Violence is not the answer. And if you assume that all spanking is violent just because your parents were violent about it, you're an idiot.

It's not about the pain but without it the discipline is pointless. Vacuous, out-dated ideas. You're stuck in the bronze-age.
Moron.

You did answer the question and that was my bad.
Thank you.

And I don't have to prove anything. I'm not an attorney but there are plenty who wouldn't blink an eye before throwing the book at you.
Based on what?

Isn't advocating criminal behavior illegal?
It's not criminal behavior here, dimwit.

We were arguing?

Seemed to me like you were sayin' stupid stuff that you are ignorant about and I was correcting you. :)

I'm glad that my website is enjoyable for you.
:chuckle:

Really? Not that it really matters, but how old was the child?
I believe he had just turned three.

Does anyone here with kids want their babysitter to spank their kids? I know I don't. You'll only confuse their conception of authority.
Irony of ironies. I used to babysit for my uncles, and never felt right disciplining beyond sending them to their rooms. Because I wasn't the parent. But I eventually realized how stupid that was. So by the time I was babysitting this child I had no problem spanking him. But his mother initially did have a problem with me doing so. She eventually told me I could. But she is against me using anything other than my hand. Which annoys me.

We have raised 4 kids. They are all fine, thank you. We rarely spanked them, and never, but never with a belt or anything like that. Spanking is a way of showing extreme displeasure. You don't need to inflict a lot of pain to do that.

You can discipline kids without beating them. I was raised that way, I raised my kids that way, and I see my grandchildren being raised that way. Yes, that includes not touching the hot stove. You don't need to hit them with a belt, and you don't need to let them get burned. You really don't.

Those who think that you need to take a belt to your kid in order to disciple them probably were raised that way themselves, and can't see any other way of getting their kids to behave. It's common and unfortunate.
While I do not see a belt as a problem, I used to though, I do prefer "rods." Or wooden instruments. And some of that comes from the fact that my dad was abused by his father, so he never used a belt on me. However, he was smart enough to know that spanking wasn't wrong just because some people took it to extremes.

I disagree, but not for the same reasons as Knight. Well, I do about the paddle issue, as I stated above. But I disagree with the last resort method. Because that is usually where the problem lies when people cross the line. They get angry because nothing is working, and they finally reach for the paddle and go too far. If you spank before you are angry then you will not go too far. And it is much easier to comfort the child and explain the issue to them, and ask them if they understand, if you are calm and rational.

:thumb:

Desmond Tutu is a Catholic. So I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I do know and understand the will of God, laid out in the Bible, more than Desi does.

Actually you shouldn't misuse His name period. And using it for evil purposes is a misuse, so that phrase is redundant. Or could be turned around to say that His name should be used correctly for evil purposes. Which I'm sure the the good sir did not mean.

But spanking is not evil. If you read your Bible you will find plenty of advice from the revered Jewish forefathers that we should spank our children.

Ex:
Foolishness is bound up in the heart of a child;
The rod of correction will drive it far from him.
-Proverbs 22:15

Do not withhold correction from a child,
For if you beat him with a rod, he will not die.
You shall beat him with a rod,
And deliver his soul from hell.
-Proverbs 23:13-14

The rod and rebuke give wisdom,
But a child left to himself brings shame to his mother.
-Proverbs 29:15

He who spares his rod hates his son,
But he who loves him disciplines him promptly.
-Proverbs 13:24

we know all about it.

Abraham Lincoln
That's odd. When I do bad I feel good. And when I do good I can often feel bad. But God is with me, and I will follow His commands and risk the consequences.

And a man convinced that right is wrong and wrong is right is a fool.

Wisdom is found on the lips of him who has understanding,
But a rod is for the back of him who is devoid of understanding.
-Proverbs 10:13

A whip for the horse,
A bridle for the donkey,
And a rod for the fool’s back.
-Proverbs 26:3

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Some children need corporal punishment and others don't. I for one am uncomfortable with the militancy with which spanking is advocated by some people here, and I certainly don't presume to think there's a universal standard for child rearing.

You might remember my thread of spanking. There, I pointed out that spanking should be done with composure, not anger. The spanking it nonverbal communication that the small child did wrong . It is a way to communicate efficiently, and, it is not the only way, but it is effective when done more as communication. It does not have to be a beating and it works less well on children after they are school age, or about age seven bad best at age three and four. One does not need to induce physical pain, it is the action itself that changes behavior.

Think of it this way, if I write very angry you assume I am up to something other than communication, right? Sure it is, spanking is a useful form of punishment when children are not able to comprehend an extended time punishment

Granite

Hall of Fame
You might remember my thread of spanking. There, I pointed out that spanking should be done with composure, not anger. The spanking it nonverbal communication that the small child did wrong . It is a way to communicate efficiently, and, it is not the only way, but it is effective when done more as communication. It does not have to be a beating and it works less well on children after they are school age, or about age seven bad best at age three and four. One does not need to induce physical pain, it is the action itself that changes behavior.

Think of it this way, if I write very angry you assume I am up to something other than communication, right? Sure it is, spanking is a useful form of punishment when children are not able to comprehend an extended time punishment

Spanking or otherwise punishing a child in anger is a rotten idea, no way around that.

PDeverit

Very Simple Questions

Very Simple Questions

Would someone help me understand why fundamentalists such as yourselves choose to turn aside the inspiration of

-spiritual giants (like Abraham Lincoln, Nobel Peace Prize Recipient Anglican Archbishop Desmond Tutu, etc,),

-other Christian professionals (among them Churches Network For Non-Violence, Parenting In Jesus' Footsteps, etc),

-professionals at large (like American Academy of Pediatrics, American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Global Initiative To End All Corporal Punishment of Children, The United Nations Convention On the Rights of the Child, etc.)

-other biblical verses, such as:

"When a slave owner strikes a male or female slave with a rod and the slave dies immediately, the owner shall be punished. But if the slave survives a day or two, there is no punishment; for the slave is the owner's property (Exod. 21:20-21)

in favor of your own selective literalism?

If you choose to respond, please use civil language (no insults, foul language, television clips, please). Just trying to understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.