Being Rich Is A Sin

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
They gave everything away to follow Christ. Their reward was eternal as well as temporal. And, like Job, received more back (temporally) than they had even before they were following Christ. It isn't a sin to be rich.

I said
Like I said if they gave everything away for Christ they couldn't be rich anymore. Jesus told him, there is one thing that he lacked. Its easy for a rich man to say he can give it all away. But until he does it his words are not valid.

Matt 19:23-24
23 Then Jesus said to His disciples, "Assuredly, I say to you that it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven.
24 "And again I say to you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."
(NKJ)

Matt 19:20-22
20 The young man said to Him, "All these things I have kept from my youth. What do I still lack?"
21 Jesus said to him, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell what you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me."
22 But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions.
(NKJ)

nikolai_42

I said
Like I said if they gave everything away for Christ they couldn't be rich anymore. Jesus told him, there is one thing that he lacked. Its easy for a rich man to say he can give it all away. But until he does it his words are not valid.

Matt 19:23-24
23 Then Jesus said to His disciples, "Assuredly, I say to you that it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven.
24 "And again I say to you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."
(NKJ)

Matt 19:20-22
20 The young man said to Him, "All these things I have kept from my youth. What do I still lack?"
21 Jesus said to him, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell what you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me."
22 But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions.
(NKJ)

And if that rich man does give it all away for the sake of Christ - and then gets it all (and more) back again? Is he sinning?

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
And if that rich man does give it all away for the sake of Christ - and then gets it all (and more) back again? Is he sinning?

I said
That just means he has more to give away. If he ever stops and keeps it, he is sinning. You should understand it was never his to keep. It was only given so he could give it to whom God willed it. If someone stops stealing today. Is it ok to steal tomorrow?

I Jn 2:15-20
15 Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
16 For all that is in the world-- the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life-- is not of the Father but is of the world.
17 And the world is passing away, and the lust of it; but he who does the will of God abides forever.
18 Little children, it is the last hour; and as you have heard that the Antichrist is coming, even now many antichrists have come, by which we know that it is the last hour.
19 They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would have continued with us; but they went out that they might be made manifest, that none of them were of us.
20 But you have an anointing from the Holy One, and you know all things.
(NKJ)

nikolai_42

I said
That just means he has more to give away. If he ever stops and keeps it, he is sinning. You should understand it was never his to keep. It was only given so he could give it to whom God willed it.

Remember...you were the one who said that being rich (of itself) is a sin. This scripture, then, has God's gift to a person (for faithfulness) being of itself sinful.

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
Remember...you were the one who said that being rich (of itself) is a sin. This scripture, then, has God's gift to a person (for faithfulness) being of itself sinful.

I said
lol Your really struggling to justify being rich. Gods gift for faithfulness will never be riches in money. God has so many better ways and better gifts to give for faithfulness. Peace of mind, eternal life. Your statement is full of guile.

nikolai_42

I said
lol Your really struggling to justify being rich. Gods gift for faithfulness will never be riches in money. God has so many better ways and better gifts to give for faithfulness. Peace of mind, eternal life. Your statement is full of guile.

Well...no. I'm not. When the mind is set on the things of the earth, those things hold a man captive. So for someone who is set on the things of earth - even if he goes and sells all he has, if his heart is unchanged then it does him no good.

When God gives man a gift, it is certainly possible He will require it of him later (Abraham and Isaac immediately come to mind) but the one who can say that the gift itself (whether money or whatever) is sinful is missing the point.

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
Well...no. I'm not. When the mind is set on the things of the earth, those things hold a man captive. So for someone who is set on the things of earth - even if he goes and sells all he has, if his heart is unchanged then it does him no good.

When God gives man a gift, it is certainly possible He will require it of him later (Abraham and Isaac immediately come to mind) but the one who can say that the gift itself (whether money or whatever) is sinful is missing the point.

I said
Well I'm waiting to here that point. I haven't heard it yet. The thing is all you have to do is go show me which of them verses are wrong.

iouae

I said

I believe that Christ told the rich young man to give all away and follow Him because Christ was calling this man to be a replacement apostle, since Christ knew Judas would betray Him. All other apostles left their stuff behind.

Thus I do not consider selling everything as a command to all Christians in general. The Gospels say Christ looked on this man and loved him, before He called him. Few are recorded as "loved".

Mar 10:21
Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me.

Christians should give. But they should also enjoy what they have, without guilt.

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
People who have this interpretation tend to help relieve others of their financial abundance.

I said
Well everyone has an opinion, but an opinion is deceiving.

Rom 12:16
16 Be of the same mind toward one another. Do not set your mind on high things, but associate with the humble. Do not be wise in your own opinion.
(NKJ)

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
I believe that Christ told the rich young man to give all away and follow Him because Christ was calling this man to be a replacement apostle, since Christ knew Judas would betray Him. All other apostles left their stuff behind.

Thus I do not consider selling everything as a command to all Christians in general. The Gospels say Christ looked on this man and loved him, before He called him. Few are recorded as "loved".

Mar 10:21
Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me.

Christians should give. But they should also enjoy what they have, without guilt.

I said
Jesus loved His enemies. And it is obvious that one cant follow Jesus if they are rich. No matter how many other things they do right. God chose the poor to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom......

James 2:5-7
5 Listen, my beloved brethren: Has God not chosen the poor of this world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom which He promised to those who love Him?
6 But you have dishonored the poor man. Do not the rich oppress you and drag you into the courts?
7 Do they not blaspheme that noble name by which you are called?
(NKJ)

iouae

I said
Jesus loved His enemies. And it is obvious that one cant follow Jesus if they are rich. No matter how many other things they do right. God chose the poor to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom......

James 2:5-7
5 Listen, my beloved brethren: Has God not chosen the poor of this world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom which He promised to those who love Him?
6 But you have dishonored the poor man. Do not the rich oppress you and drag you into the courts?
(NKJ)
Can one own a house and be saved?

Peter, Lazarus, Levi, Simon the taner, even Jesus owned houses.

Today if one owns a house, that house is worth a million. So as home owners and therefore millionaires, can one be saved?

meshak

BANNED
Banned
Can one own a house and be saved?

Peter, Lazarus, Levi, Simon the taner, even Jesus owned houses.

Today if one owns a house, that house is worth a million. So as home owners and therefore millionaires, can one be saved?

Jesus said "Son of man has no place to sleep."

True or False

BANNED
Banned
Being Rich Is A Sin

2 Cor 8:12-15
12 For if there is first a willing mind, it is accepted according to what one has, and not according to what he does not have.
13 For I do not mean that others should be eased and you burdened;
14 but by an equality, that now at this time your abundance may supply their lack, that their abundance also may supply your lack-- that there may be equality.
15 As it is written, "He who gathered much had nothing left over, and he who gathered little had no lack."
1 Cor 16:2-4
2 On the first day of the week let each one of you lay something aside, storing up as he may prosper, that there be no collections when I come.
3 And when I come, whomever you approve by your letters I will send to bear your gift to Jerusalem.
4 But if it is fitting that I go also, they will go with me.
3 Jn 1:2-8
2 Beloved, I pray that you may prosper in all things and be in health, just as your soul prospers.
3 For I rejoiced greatly when brethren came and testified of the truth that is in you, just as you walk in the truth.
4 I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth.
5 Beloved, you do faithfully whatever you do for the brethren and for strangers,
6 who have borne witness of your love before the church. If you send them forward on their journey in a manner worthy of God, you will do well,
7 because they went forth for His name's sake, taking nothing from the Gentiles.
8 We therefore ought to receive such, that we may become fellow workers for the truth.
James 2:5-9
8 If you really fulfill the royal law according to the Scripture, "You shall love your neighbor as yourself," you do well;
9 but if you show partiality, you commit sin, and are convicted by the law as transgressors.
Rev 3:17-18
17 "Because you say, 'I am rich, have become wealthy, and have need of nothing'-- and do not know that you are wretched, miserable, poor, blind, and naked--
18 "I counsel you to buy from Me gold refined in the fire, that you may be rich; and white garments, that you may be clothed, that the shame of your nakedness may not be revealed; and anoint your eyes with eye salve, that you may see.
Matt 23:1-9
1 Then Jesus spoke to the multitudes and to His disciples,
2 saying: "The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat.
3 "Therefore whatever they tell you to observe, that observe and do, but do not do according to their works; for they say, and do not do.
4 "For they bind heavy burdens, hard to bear, and lay them on men's shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers.
5 "But all their works they do to be seen by men. They make their phylacteries broad and enlarge the borders of their garments.
6 "They love the best places at feasts, the best seats in the synagogues,
7 "greetings in the marketplaces, and to be called by men, 'Rabbi, Rabbi.'
8 "But you, do not be called 'Rabbi'; for One is your Teacher, the Christ, and you are all brethren.
9 "Do not call anyone on earth your father; for One is your Father, He who is in heaven.
James 1:9-10
9 Let the lowly brother glory in his exaltation,
10 but the rich in his humiliation, because as a flower of the field he will pass away.
James 5:1-6
1 Come now, you rich, weep and howl for your miseries that are coming upon you!
2 Your riches are corrupted, and your garments are moth-eaten.
3 Your gold and silver are corroded, and their corrosion will be a witness against you and will eat your flesh like fire. You have heaped up treasure in the last days.
4 Indeed the wages of the laborers who mowed your fields, which you kept back by fraud, cry out; and the cries of the reapers have reached the ears of the Lord of Sabaoth.
5 You have lived on the earth in pleasure and luxury; you have fattened your hearts as in a day of slaughter.
6 You have condemned, you have murdered the just; he does not resist you.
1 Tim 6:10-12
10 For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil, for which some have strayed from the faith in their greediness, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.
11 But you, O man of God, flee these things and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, gentleness.
12 Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, to which you were also called and have confessed the good confession in the presence of many witnesses.
(NKJ)

xxx You can only be rich in money by holding back from others what God has demanded you give.
The amount of money you possess determines how rich are you.

True or false?

iouae

Jesus said "Son of man has no place to sleep."

Because He was on the road so much.

Here is a case where He was at his home.

Mar 2:1

And again he entered into Capernaum after some days; and it was noised that he was in the house

It was His house, the tiles of which they broke to let down the sick of palsy.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
Because He was on the road so much.

Here is a case where He was at his home.

Mar 2:1

And again he entered into Capernaum after some days; and it was noised that he was in the house

It was His house, the tiles of which they broke to let down the sick of palsy.

It was the house, not saying it was His house.

Your interpretation is convenient for your advantage.

oatmeal

I said
lol Doesn't anyone read the bible anymore. Is a thief and a robber sinning?

John 10:7-8
7 Then Jesus said to them again, "Most assuredly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep.
8 "All who ever came before Me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not hear them.
(NKJ)

Don't change the subject. where does it say that Abraham sinned because he was rich?

All men have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.

Including poor people, since III John 2 says "I wish above all things that you prosper and be in health" you could build a case that poor people and sick people are sinning because they are poor and sick! I don't you would try because that argument would fall flat on it just like being rich is a sin argument

oatmeal

Being rich is inconsiderate for the poor. Being rich is so against Jesus' principle of love. Jesus is for the whole world, not just for a few countries.

When we think about other country's poverty, we cannot stay rich. We can enjoy life without being rich.

There are too many things against being rich. It is not of Jesus.

then being poor is inconsiderate to the rich for then the rich are made to feel guilty for working hard and smart and being successful. God wants us to prosper and be in health, even as our soul prospers. III John 2, therefore the argument could be made that sick and poor people are likewise sinners!

Do you really want to go there?

For that matter, since Philippians 4:19 states that God shall supply all your need, then those people who receive government handouts, (the government is not God, maybe you noticed) are sinners because they are idolizing government over God!

Gary K

Banned
I said
lol Wide birth?? That isn't even near what I'm going to do with this one. Everything up until John the Baptist was the law. And anyone who attempts to be justified by the law has fallen from grace. And the only way to heaven is by grace through faith.

Luke 16:16
16 "The law and the prophets were until John. Since that time the kingdom of God has been preached, and everyone is pressing into it.
(NKJ)

Matt 11:12-13
12 "And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffers violence, and the violent take it by force.
13 "For all the prophets and the law prophesied until John.
(NKJ)

Gal 5:1-4
1 Stand fast therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free, and do not be entangled again with a yoke of bondage.
2 Indeed I, Paul, say to you that if you become circumcised, Christ will profit you nothing.
3 And I testify again to every man who becomes circumcised that he is a debtor to keep the whole law.
4 You have become estranged from Christ, you who attempt to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace.
(NKJ)

Squeaky,

I will respond to you by asking you a question. Did Jesus ever lie?