Being Rich Is A Sin

marhig

Jesus lived in Capernahum with his brothers, sisters and Mary, His mother.

Essentially the passage is saying that Jesus was back home.

Here, Jesus was back home and the crowd had filled Jesus own house such that Mary and Christs brothers and sisters could not get into their very own home. That is why they stood without and called for Christ. They are standing outside their very own home and cannot get into their very own house, for the crowd.

Mat 12:46

While he yet talked to the people, behold, his mother and his brethren stood without, desiring to speak with him.
Mat 12:47
Then one said unto him, Behold, thy mother and thy brethren stand without, desiring to speak with thee.
Mat 12:48

But he answered and said unto him that told him, Who is my mother? and who are my brethren?
Mat 12:49
And he stretched forth his hand toward his disciples, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren!

And whether one has a house or riches is of ZERO consequence. It is the love of possessions which is the problem. One could be Bill Gates, or Warren Buffet and still be a Christian in good standing.
You reckon? Wouldn't you think that you couldn't hold on to all that money if Christ was in the heart, don't you think that he would be prompting us to help, and give to all those around us if we have plenty.

Wouldn't you say that it's having a love of money to build up excess wealth in the bank when there are people in need everywhere?

iouae

Why are you so defensive of wealthy?

Gal 3:28
There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

Christianity just got rid of all the class distinctions, and here we are trying to make a new one.

In Christ there is neither rich nor poor....

Some people/Christians need to be wealthy. Some need to be filthy rich.
In modern society, if you want to make a factory, say a cellphone factory, one has to be rich to install all the processes and robots to make that phone. Henry Ford needed wealth to make his first factory.

Many of the wealthy give the most.

I have nothing against the rich who use that wealth to have factories, which employ people etc.
I have everything against the rich who just have money in the bank or stock exchange, where that wealth is just serving them. But its none of my business. The government needs to take/tax their wealth and redistribute it, not us citizens.

In general I feel its wrong to be covetous of what the rich have. I don't even watch those TV shows which glamorise the ultra-rich lifestyle, because it's so obscene. Also, the rich are not happier than you or I, with all their expensive skiing holidays, and boats.

God would rain down from the sky gold and $$ but most of us cannot handle it. It would just make us need Him less. That is the only trap of wealth. God wants us to be needy, so we don't fill that God-shaped hole in our souls with distractions, like money.

But having money is fine for the few who can handle it without it spoiling them. And many in the Bible handled wealth just fine.

marhig

Gal 3:28
There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

Christianity just got rid of all the class distinctions, and here we are trying to make a new one.

In Christ there is neither rich nor poor....

Some people/Christians need to be wealthy. Some need to be filthy rich.
In modern society, if you want to make a factory, say a cellphone factory, one has to be rich to install all the processes and robots to make that phone. Henry Ford needed wealth to make his first factory.

Many of the wealthy give the most.

I have nothing against the rich who use that wealth to have factories, which employ people etc.
I have everything against the rich who just have money in the bank or stock exchange, where that wealth is just serving them. But its none of my business. The government needs to take/tax their wealth and redistribute it, not us citizens.

In general I feel its wrong to be covetous of what the rich have. I don't even watch those TV shows which glamorise the ultra-rich lifestyle, because it's so obscene. Also, the rich are not happier than you or I, with all their expensive skiing holidays, and boats.

God would rain down from the sky gold and $$ but most of us cannot handle it. It would just make us need Him less. That is the only trap of wealth. God wants us to be needy, so we don't fill that God-shaped hole in our souls with distractions, like money.

But having money is fine for the few who can handle it without it spoiling them. And many in the Bible handled wealth just fine.
Why would anyone need to be filthy rich?

2003cobra

It is clear that Jesus is opposed to rich people in over all. You cannot stay wealthy if you love Jesus.

The Old Testament is filled with examples of wealthy people who loved God.

And the early church had wealthy members, as is evident from 1 Timothy 6;
As for those who in the present age are rich, command them not to be haughty, or to set their hopes on the uncertainty of riches, but rather on God who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. 18 They are to do good, to be rich in good works, generous, and ready to share, 19 thus storing up for themselves the treasure of a good foundation for the future, so that they may take hold of the life that really is life.

They are told to be generous.

I have heard it said that God is continually looking for people to bless with wealth that they might bless others.

Sometimes I think people complaining about the wealth of other believers may simply be envious.

iouae

As for those who in the present age are rich, command them not to be haughty, or to set their hopes on the uncertainty of riches, but rather on God who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. 18 They are to do good, to be rich in good works, generous, and ready to share, 19 thus storing up for themselves the treasure of a good foundation for the future, so that they may take hold of the life that really is life.

I have heard it said that God is continually looking for people to bless with wealth that they might bless others.

Sometimes I think people complaining about the wealth of other believers may simply be envious.

Amen!

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
To make a factory, or Trump Tower, to employ people.

Wealth is irrelevant to the true believer. Wealth is just a number of zeroes in the bank after a $1.

Baloney! You would be happier the more zeros were added to a check to you with more zeros.

You think you are just too sweet.:p

marhig

Wealth is irrelevant to the true believer. Wealth is just a number of zeroes in the bank after a $1.
Yes wealth should be irrelevant to the true believer, it should mean nothing to us, we should be concentrating on living by the will of God and laying down our life for others, to bring the life of Christ to them. Not the wealth of this world

Matthew 16

Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it. For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?

Matthew 6

No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon. (Wealth/flesh)

marhig

What about in the new testament once Jesus has showed us the way?

And why on earth would those born of God be envious of wealth? They have more wealth than anything of this world, because they have been blessed with the Holy Spirit which is priceless!

iouae

Matthew 6

No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon. (Wealth/flesh)

Some wealthy folks spend less time thinking about wealth than some poor folks do, wondering where the rent money for the month is going to come from.

Wealth must never be one's master.
Neither must alcohol.
Neither must any addiction, including gambling.
Neither must a demanding spouse.
Neither must... there are a list of 1050 do's and dont's I could go through from the NT.

If wealth is your master, then you need to quit it.
Many folks can handle a drink of alcohol just fine, including Christ. They don't need to quit it.
Some folks cannot touch a drop of alcohol, without it becoming their master. They need to never touch a drop.

marhig

Some wealthy folks spend less time thinking about wealth than some poor folks do, wondering where the rent money for the month is going to come from.

Wealth must never be one's master.
Neither must alcohol.
Neither must any addiction, including gambling.
Neither must a demanding spouse.
Neither must... there are a list of 1050 do's and dont's I could go through from the NT.

If wealth is your master, then you need to quit it.
Many folks can handle a drink of alcohol just fine, including Christ. They don't need to quit it.
Some folks cannot touch a drop of alcohol, without it becoming their master. They need to never touch a drop.
They don't need to think about wealth if they have it all, and the poor need to keep a roof over their heads and feed their children.

And I've noticed that many of those who are wealthy think about money a lot and many think how they can make more and more. But that's not my point. My point is that those born of God shouldn't be thinking of excessive wealth, money and this world shouldn't bother us, we should thank God that he's giving us a roof food and clothes and be content with what we have. Our true wealth is knowing the living God.

I believe that once we are born of God, any excess should be used to help others, not piled up high in bank accounts. And I would find it hard to have massive amounts of money in the bank whilst there are people in need everywhere. God should be pricking our hearts to see the need in others daily. So how can we hold on to wealth when so many need help?

Jesus wasn't like that, he had no care for wealth and the things of this world, and neither should those who belong to him.

iouae

They don't need to think about wealth if they have it all, and the poor need to keep a roof over their heads and feed their children.

And I've noticed that many of those who are wealthy think about money a lot and many think how they can make more and more. But that's not my point. My point is that those born of God shouldn't be thinking of excessive wealth, money and this world shouldn't bother us, we should thank God that he's giving us a roof food and clothes and be content with what we have. Our true wealth is knowing the living God.

I believe that once we are born of God, any excess should be used to help others, not piled up high in bank accounts. And I would find it hard to have massive amounts of money in the bank whilst there are people in need everywhere. God should be pricking our hearts to see the need in others daily. So how can we hold on to wealth when so many need help?

Jesus wasn't like that, he had no care for wealth and the things of this world, and neither should those who belong to him.

2003Cobra explained this well.

"The Old Testament is filled with examples of wealthy people who loved God.

"

Just like some Christians can live unmarried and some cannot, so some Christians can give away their pension, while most cannot, and should not.

iouae

When Christ told the rich young man/ruler to go, sell all and come, follow me, that was not a general instruction to every Christian, for all time (which some mistakenly believe).

It is a specific instruction to a specific person, for a specific reason.

That reason, I speculate, is as follows.

Christ was calling apostles to leave all (forever) to come and physically follow Him around, and thereafter, to go into all the earth preaching the Gospel. Possessions would have been like a ball and chain to them.

Christ looked upon this man and loved him - not often said by Christ.
This was a special person. Christ was calling him to apostleship, but he shrank back to trust in OT law keeping which rather favoured wealth, because under the OC, wealth was a sign of God's favour.

Thus this man lost a chance to replace Judas, and this young man's crown went to Matthias (Acts 1:26).

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned

I SAID
Even you should see that the only reasoning you can come up with is carnal. You cant find any justification in scripture to support your wild imagination. But remember the words in the new testament.
All that carnal manipulation is going to take your name out of the book of life.

[Rev 22:18-19
18 For I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds to these things, God will add to him the plagues that are written in this book;
19 and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part from the Book of Life, from the holy city, and [from] the things which are written in this book.

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned

I said
Jesus became poor just to make the poor rich in faith.

[Jas 2:5
5 Listen, my beloved brethren: Has God not chosen the poor of this world [to be] rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom which He promised to those who love Him?

[2Co 8:9
9 For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though He was rich, yet for your sakes He became poor, that you through His poverty might become rich.
[Eph 1:7
7 In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of His grace

meshak

BANNED
Banned
The Old Testament is filled with examples of wealthy people

Why do you use OT to discern what is right or wrong as Jesus' follower?

God gave Jesus authority to show us example to be in His kingdom.

Why do you disregard Him?

2003cobra

What about in the new testament once Jesus has showed us the way?

And why on earth would those born of God be envious of wealth? They have more wealth than anything of this world, because they have been blessed with the Holy Spirit which is priceless!

For your first question, I quoted 1 Timothy 6, which was written after the ascension of Jesus.

On the second question: Christians still have a sin nature. They aren’t always perfect. Some do get envious. It is wonderful if you never sin, but that is not the case for all of us.

2003cobra

Yes wealth should be irrelevant to the true believer, it should mean nothing to us, we should be concentrating on living by the will of God and laying down our life for others, to bring the life of Christ to them. Not the wealth of this world...

On the contrary, I am a believer and wealth gives me a way to do good work for the kingdom of God. Jesus told us to feed the hungry, to cloth the naked, to help the oppressed. Wealth provides a means to serve God, which makes it important for righteous reasons.

2003cobra

Why do you use OT to discern what is right or wrong as Jesus' follower?

God gave Jesus authority to show us example to be in His kingdom.

Why do you disregard Him?

The OT does provide guidance. Jesus read and quoted the OT scriptures. I don’t disregard that, do you?

And I don’t disregard Him, and the New Testament doesn’t tell people wealth is sin. It says the wealthy should be generous. If I may ask, are you generous?

meshak

BANNED
Banned
The OT does provide guidance. Jesus read and quoted the OT scriptures. I don’t disregard that, do you?

Many of you use OT to justify your disobedience.

Jesus teaches responsibility to His followers and many of your disregard them by using the OT.