Ask Knight (Archived)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
You could do one of those cool themes where it changes to meet current weather and day/night conditions for your area - blue when it's raining, dark for at night, twilight theme, sunrise theme.... it could even ban us when the weather's too nice to be on TOL :)

Yes, yes, I'm quite sure it's lovely, but you're missing an important question or two here. Can you ride it? Will it eat a carrot from your hand? Can you make money on the side by renting it out for parties? :think:

Will it paint your face for you? :nono:

you people...I give up.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Knight-
At which point does vigilantism become morally and ethically acceptable in the eyes of God?
I believe when you are facing an immediate threat to your safety you have the right to take the law into your own hands (a long way of saying.... self defense). :)

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I believe when you are facing an immediate threat to your safety you have the right to take the law into your own hands (a long way of saying.... self defense). :)
Let me elaborate...

Would it ever be OK to take the law into your own hands when the law of the land is insufficient, or the law enforcement is?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Let me elaborate...

Would it ever be OK to take the law into your own hands when the law of the land is insufficient, or the law enforcement is?
That's a bit of a vague elaboration. Could you give me an example?

If this is about Batman I'm gonna punch you in the face.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
That's a bit of a vague elaboration. Could you give me an example?

If this is about Batman I'm gonna punch you in the face.
I will admit that the Batman issue is part of the reason I thought of the question, but I wouldn't have asked if not for the NAZI issue.

I believe we can all agree that a rebellion in such a situation on the part of the citizenry is perfectly OK.

However, the question is what is OK in such a situation. Such as, would it have been OK to hunt down and kill NAZI soldiers then?

Also, at what point does such a thing become the right thing to do?

There is also the question of how corrupt does a government have to become before it is OK for a citizen to become a vigilante?

Also, I want to make it clear that I do not believe that it is ever OK to kill someone, as a citizen, unless your life is in immediate danger, or if the government allows you to participate in the execution of a criminal who deserves it. But I can also understand that something may need to be done if a government keeps letting a criminal back onto the streets without ever arresting them.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I will admit that the Batman issue is part of the reason I thought of the question, but I wouldn't have asked if not for the NAZI issue.
Please let me introduce my fist to your face. :eek:

I believe we can all agree that a rebellion in such a situation on the part of the citizenry is perfectly OK.

However, the question is what is OK in such a situation. Such as, would it have been OK to hunt down and kill NAZI soldiers then?

Also, at what point does such a thing become the right thing to do?

There is also the question of how corrupt does a government have to become before it is OK for a citizen to become a vigilante?
I think Adam brought up a great point when he said that violent rebellion against the government becomes more of a viable and moral option the more government restricts our ability to protest legally.

I assume you have gone through Bob's Abortion Vigilantism Worksheet? It's really a great way to clarify some of these issues.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Please let me introduce my fist to your face. :eek:
Hey, I said it wasn't about Batman. Only that the Batman issue made me wonder about it, partially. The other thing that did it was the NAZI issue. If they hadn't both been brought up, by other people mind you, then I wouldn't have thought of the question.

I think Adam brought up a great point when he said that violent rebellion against the government becomes more of a viable and moral option the more government restricts our ability to protest legally.
OK.

I assume you have gone through Bob's Abortion Vigilantism Worksheet? It's really a great way to clarify some of these issues.
Yes, I have. But it's been a while since I read it.

Prolifeguyswife

Knight, I have a pending friend request. And everytime I try to "accept", it takes ten years, and then the friend request is still pending.
They say the definition of insanity is repeating the same action over and over again expecting different results. This friend request thing has proven my insanity, because I must have tried to accept this friend about 30 times. Any suggestions?

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Knight, I have a pending friend request. And everytime I try to "accept", it takes ten years, and then the friend request is still pending.
They say the definition of insanity is repeating the same action over and over again expecting different results. This friend request thing has proven my insanity, because I must have tried to accept this friend about 30 times. Any suggestions?
Click the check box on the friend's picture so there is a tick in it before accepting :)

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Let me elaborate...

Self-defence yes, however vigilantism is not usually what I would call self defence. I would say it is the illegal act of persons not legally issued to carry out the law, enforcing it violently. As to God’s law, I would say today we need to keep the law; we are not living under the Mosaic law today.

We may disagree about this, yet if you think you are following God's law be prepared to spend time in a modern jail
:chew:

chickenman

a-atheist
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Serious "Ask Knight" question from me for once...

Fat Sam's is an example of a forum that is not visible to all. One has to meet a certain criterion to have access to that. Can a forum like this be set up for other things, such as MidActs Dispensationalism? It would be nice to have an invitation-only forum where like-minded people can study and discuss the scriptures together without having the distractions of pests. Social Groups don't exactly fit, since anyone can join and be a pest if they want. And it would be nice if we could "talk" freely among ourselves, and have cordial disagreements among ourselves that we attempt to work through, without the nay-sayers mocking, in other posts/threads, what they see us discuss.

MidActs'ers could be invited, as well as sincere, interested non-MAD'ers. At the discretion of the group.

That make sense?

Thanks,
Randy

bybee

Excellent idea!

Excellent idea!

Serious "Ask Knight" question from me for once...

Fat Sam's is an example of a forum that is not visible to all. One has to meet a certain criterion to have access to that. Can a forum like this be set up for other things, such as MidActs Dispensationalism? It would be nice to have an invitation-only forum where like-minded people can study and discuss the scriptures together without having the distractions of pests. Social Groups don't exactly fit, since anyone can join and be a pest if they want. And it would be nice if we could "talk" freely among ourselves, and have cordial disagreements among ourselves that we attempt to work through, without the nay-sayers mocking, in other posts/threads, what they see us discuss.

MidActs'ers could be invited, as well as sincere, interested non-MAD'ers. At the discretion of the group.

That make sense?

Thanks,
Randy

Dear boy, that is a great idea! But, I can't help myself. I have one,to me, very serious concern: There are "knee-jerk" rage-filled posters who do not add anything substantive to any subject! Will they be invited to the discussion? I would very much be waiting for my invitation! I know I'm edgy at times, but, my heart is in the right place.:thumb: peace, bybee

Status
Not open for further replies.