Ask Knight (Archived)

Status
Not open for further replies.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Well, I haven't been around much, so I don't know what my 2-cents counts for (maybe 2-cents??) but it'd bother me... Well, I don't know that "bother" is right, but I like the threads/forums featured up top., and wouldn't want to scroll... I think people come for the forum participation, and having the forums most prominent is most important. I think that's what TOL's about.

Does the front page news rotate enough that it'd be the top feature? It seems that it's more a steady, hard-hitting message that stays for a while rather than being a news thing to regularly check into. And it's still right there on the front page. It doesn't get lost.

But I generally immediately click on Forums > and navigate to the - "politics, religion, other" - that I feel like browsing. I kind of bypass the front page.

If it were up top, maybe you want to make TOL more a news-ish site on the front page? Voice opinion TOL more. But you might run the risk of TOL coming across as even more one-sided, and maybe dissuade folks from participating? I dunno. I think that the discussion is by far the strongest, most identifying, unique and drawing thing at TOL, and ought to be featured up top. It's the differentiator. There are plenty of places to go for "news" or a more one-sided opinion. And it's not as if the TOL viewpoint gets lost... It's very prominent and I think always will be. I always see the front page news, and I will always notice and have a look if it's changed. But I don't think I would ever "tune in" to TOL for that... To me, it's about the threads/forums. But that's me and I'm sure many people would tune in for that.

Anyway. 2-cents. :)

Here's a n00b's perspective, which is worth less than 2 cents:

I don't come to TOL for news. I have other sources for that. I also have other sources for religious and political commentary. What makes TOL different from other places (and which I find rather fascinating) is the extreme range of every kind of outlook: religious, social, political, philosophical. I've never seen such a wide swing - it's so wide, it's even a little.... well, I'll leave it at that.

Anyhow, when I log on, I make a beeline for Active Threads.

/.02

zoo22

Here's a n00b's perspective, which is worth less than 2 cents:

I don't come to TOL for news. I have other sources for that. I also have other sources for religious and political commentary. What makes TOL different from other places (and which I find rather fascinating) is the extreme range of every kind of outlook: religious, social, political, philosophical. I've never seen such a wide swing - it's so wide, it's even a little.... well, I'll leave it at that.

Anyhow, when I log on, I make a beeline for Active Threads.

/.02

Succinct. That's got to be worth like, ...4-7? Possibly more.

Alexandros

Do I need to have a minimum # of posts to upload an avatar?

I've seen the preloaded ones and ... not everyone is a American Christian sports fan.

Lon

How can we link to One-on-One's or BR quotes (feature doesn't allow us to hit 'quote').

I tried and my link is broken :(

I think it'd be a great asset to know as we post in discussion threads.

Thanks Knight

(I know I'm bugging you now)

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Knight-
I just posted a verse location, and it did not link. I deleted the message because I realized the verses in question had already been mention in the op of the thread. But what would cause it to no automatically link?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Knight-
I just posted a verse location, and it did not link. I deleted the message because I realized the verses in question had already been mention in the op of the thread. But what would cause it to no automatically link?
Maybe you formatted the verse wrong. :idunno:

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Wow, time flies! Knight, you've been answering questions for over 5 years now.

So what's it like knowing you've helped others by imparting your wisdom all this time?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Wow, time flies! Knight, you've been answering questions for over 5 years now.
This thread is five years old??? Wow!

So what's it like knowing you've helped others by imparting your wisdom all this time?
I wonder what my accuracy rate is?

My guess is I have helped 8% and sent the other 92% in the wrong direction. :D

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Kight
Do you ever get so tired of dealing with knuckleheads, that you just want to go on a long sabbatical?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Hey Knight, do you know how to make the TM turn into the small trademark? I vaguely recall it being alt plus something on the keypad...:idunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.