Ask Knight (Archived)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Just curious, since you have a Mac, has the VoiceOver (for the sight impaired) ever mysteriously started up on its own? That happened to me just now, and has once or twice in the past. It's weird, and rather disorienting when the computer starts reading everything on the screen to me. :chuckle: :idunno:
No that's never happened to me. You can turn off the Voice Over feature in your System Preferences > Universal Access. It has a function key associated with it when it's on so maybe you accidentally hit that key command. I have mine turned off.

Robert Pate

Banned
Dear Mr. Knight

I know that your rules are quite liberal on the forum which helps with discussion. However, I am getting a little weary of Beloved57 following me around and calling me a devil on almost every post that I make. I do not call him any names. I think for his own good you should put a stop to it.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Dear Mr. Knight

I know that your rules are quite liberal on the forum which helps with discussion. However, I am getting a little weary of Beloved57 following me around and calling me a devil on almost every post that I make. I do not call him any names. I think for his own good you should put a stop to it.
Please feel free to report a post so we can take a look at it. There is a little button at the top right of every posts that allows you to report the post if you feel it's something we need to look at. :up:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Since TOL is really one page, and you can't go to a back page, you should put front page news at the top of the page, instead of the bottom.

It would probably help others out. :)

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Since TOL is really one page, and you can't go to a back page, you should put front page news at the top of the page, instead of the bottom.

It would probably help others out. :)
I have thought about that. Do you think it would bother folks that they would have to scroll down to see the active threads?

GuySmiley

I have thought about that. Do you think it would bother folks that they would have to scroll down to see the active threads?
I think most people would use "active threads" for that and it wouldn't matter for the home page. But thats just my opinion, and I only speak for thousands.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I think I might just adjust the amount of active threads visible on the home page. That will "move up" the front page news.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If you type www.theologyonline.com, and you have cookies enabled like a normal human, this is the page you get;

http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/

From there, I sometimes backpedal to politics/religion/and the rest. But that is it. The only time *I* was ever at the active thread page, was some weeks back, where it was brought up. I didn't like it. They are all mixed together. I can't have that disorder. :)

I don't know what is best. Everybody likes their stuff their way.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I like at least a few active threads on the home page because those are the topics that drag new folks into conversations. I did reduce the number of active threads on the home page from 8 to 4.

zoo22

Well, I haven't been around much, so I don't know what my 2-cents counts for (maybe 2-cents??) but it'd bother me... Well, I don't know that "bother" is right, but I like the threads/forums featured up top., and wouldn't want to scroll... I think people come for the forum participation, and having the forums most prominent is most important. I think that's what TOL's about.

Does the front page news rotate enough that it'd be the top feature? It seems that it's more a steady, hard-hitting message that stays for a while rather than being a news thing to regularly check into. And it's still right there on the front page. It doesn't get lost.

But I generally immediately click on Forums > and navigate to the - "politics, religion, other" - that I feel like browsing. I kind of bypass the front page.

If it were up top, maybe you want to make TOL more a news-ish site on the front page? Voice opinion TOL more. But you might run the risk of TOL coming across as even more one-sided, and maybe dissuade folks from participating? I dunno. I think that the discussion is by far the strongest, most identifying, unique and drawing thing at TOL, and ought to be featured up top. It's the differentiator. There are plenty of places to go for "news" or a more one-sided opinion. And it's not as if the TOL viewpoint gets lost... It's very prominent and I think always will be. I always see the front page news, and I will always notice and have a look if it's changed. But I don't think I would ever "tune in" to TOL for that... To me, it's about the threads/forums. But that's me and I'm sure many people would tune in for that.

Anyway. 2-cents. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.