ECT As many people doubt the scripture regarding speaking in tongues:

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
My own pastor sat with a woman who listened to a tongue in her own language, and then judged the interpretation. The interpretation in English was perfect.

Where is the certainty of truth in this "story?" People
tell tales all the time! Watch Benny Hinn on You-Tube
you'll see a lot of, "telling tales!"

andyc

See Oatmeal... I've belonged to a COG Pentecostal Church, really good country folk. I never spoke in tongues, never even tried, but found it rather amusing at the time. A simple rural church, dude staggered the streets Saturday night, and spoke in tongues fluently the next morning, I've heard plenty. He was quite skilled at it... even interpreting from time to time. Preacher knew it, we all did in that small town, but no one would say anything to the dude... everyone was sorta spiritually subdued submitting to an event they all subscribed to, rather interesting phenomenon. No one could challenge the dude without challenging the basis for the church. I later frequented a Pentecostal mega-church, one you might even have heard of.

So, tell you what, Oatmeal... Let's say I provide an audio-visual event of a person speaking in tongues in your church, and pause the recorded event before translation. Then, I will provide that cropped tongues aspect of the event to ten of your best-known interpreters, and independently ask their interpretation. I'd be willing to bet a hundred dollars to one that the tongues message will have ten deferent interpretations. And, that's not lack of faith on my part, that's lack of edification on yours. "Hock-uh-muh... Hock-uh-muh Hock-uh-muh Psalm...bia!" Can you interpret that one? First time I ever heard anyone speak in tongues visiting a church with a teenage friend, 'slain in the spirit' as I've heard it called.

Sure Paul referred to himself speaking in tongues found in 1Corinthians 4:15 KJV. Paul spoke in tongues in Romans 9:6, 7, 8, 9, 10. I don't suppose you can tell me specifically who Paul was referring to when he said, "For they are not all Israel, which are of Israel." Try interpreting that tongues message from Paul. I've heard these verses mentioned several times on TOL, and in churches, typically casting guilt trips on SINNERS!... who was Paul specifically referring to? Now, I know you profess the embodiment of the Holy Ghost, but please toss in a Scriptural coordinate or two for support, just to help me overcome my unrelenting doubt that tongue speakers have exclusive rights space-docking with Almighty God. I proffer Paul was speaking in tongues... and, you're speaking something different, altogether... not edification, but exaltation.

kayaker

It all boils down to what you're expecting based on what scripture says about it. Your own opinions about what you've experienced are worthless.
There are times when I've questioned a tongue and interpretation, but not the legitimacy of the gift from a scriptural perspective.

andyc

Where is the certainty of truth in this "story?" People
tell tales all the time! Watch Benny Hinn on You-Tube
you'll see a lot of, "telling tales!"

Of course, I could believe that either my pastor, or the woman was lying, but there's no reason for me to, as I'm already persuaded from scripture that the gifts are for today.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
You sure can't trust certain tales people tell. It happens ALL the
time. Tales of raising the dead, healings, gold flakes suddenly
appearing on the faces and heads of certain people? Such
things aren't happening during this "Dispensation of Grace!"

andyc

You sure can't trust certain tales people tell. It happens ALL the
time. Tales of raising the dead, healings, gold flakes suddenly
appearing on the faces and heads of certain people? Such
things aren't happening during this "Dispensation of Grace!"

Gold flakes?
What are they gonna do for people?

Are you saying that God isn't being gracious in this dispensation of grace?

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
A few years back, Benny Hinn made a bunch of "predictions" (prophesies)
He said Fidel Castro would be dead within the 1990s. (wrong) He said
that, the homosexual community would be destroyed in the 1990s (Wrong)
He prophesied that the TV station "TBN" would become part of, Heaven on
earth. That way people would only need to watch TBN and see what Heaven
was like! (wrong again) Benny Hinn and his ilk claim all kinds of miracles,
etc, that doesn't mean those "miracles" are true! Those guys are "Scamsters"
at best, and disillusioned at worst!

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Pray before you open your Bible that God will give
you wisdom and understanding for what you're
about to read! The Bible is a Spiritual Book.
Pray that the Holy Spirit will speak to you, through
it!

Truster

I've always used the term lunatics if ever the topic of pentecostals is brought up. Or Pentecostal stark raving nutter's is often adequate and seems to roll of the tongue.