Are there Saints In Heaven? Poll Question

Are there Saints In Heaven? Poll Question

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

popsthebuilder

Paul says Enoch died in the faith, not having received the promises. What's the question about Enoch?
Excuse my ignorance please, but please provide scriptural reference for me.

Genesis: 5. 24. And Enoch walked with God: and he was not; for God took him.

Hebrews: 11. 5. By faith Enoch was translated that he should not see death; and was not found, because God had translated him: for before his translation he had this testimony, that he pleased God.

peace

popsthebuilder

"So all the days of Enoch were three hundred and sixty-five years. And Enoch walked with God; and he was not for God took him." (Genesis 5:23-24)

The phrase "he was not" means he ceased to exist.
No.... He was not... No body, no corpse, no Enoch. He was transfigured.

peace

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER

H369 אַיִן 'ayin ay'-yin
As if from a primitive root meaning to be nothing or not exist; a non-entity; generally used as a negative particle: - else, except, fail [father-] less, be gone, in [-curable], neither, never, no (where), none, nor (any, thing), not, nothing, to nought, past, un [-searchable], well-nigh, without, Compare H370.

popsthebuilder

H369 אַיִן 'ayin ay'-yin
As if from a primitive root meaning to be nothing or not exist; a non-entity; generally used as a negative particle: - else, except, fail [father-] less, be gone, in [-curable], neither, never, no (where), none, nor (any, thing), not, nothing, to nought, past, un [-searchable], well-nigh, without, Compare H370.
You are adding to the meaning, even in light of additional scripture and definitions.

673497ff0dc2304248cf99f49a526b7c.jpg

popsthebuilder

H369 אַיִן 'ayin ay'-yin
Cannot be found isn't synonymous with dead.

The Bible would mention the death and burial of Enoch if that was what was meant to have been conveyed

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
You are adding to the meaning, even in light of additional scripture and definitions.

So Enoch could not be found?

If God took Enoch, what did he do with him?

Does scripture God took Enoch to heaven?

What about Moses, can he be found?

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Cannot be found isn't synonymous with dead.

"Enoch lived sixty-five years and begot Methuselah. After he begot Methuselah, Enoch walked with God three hundred years and had sons and daughters. So all the days of Enoch were three hundred and sixty-five years." (Genesis 5:21-23)

All the days of Enoch means what?

Why did Enoch stop walking with God?

Rosenritter

Excuse my ignorance please, but please provide scriptural reference for me.

Genesis: 5. 24. And Enoch walked with God: and he was not; for God took him.

Hebrews: 11. 5. By faith Enoch was translated that he should not see death; and was not found, because God had translated him: for before his translation he had this testimony, that he pleased God.

peace

The same author that penned Hebrews 11:5 above lists Enoch among those who died in faith, not having received the promises. He gives us a short list of examples, five in fact, and among them Enoch is number two. If we pull one verse out of context it won't convey the intended meaning.

Heb 11:4-13 KJV
(4) By faith Abel.offered unto God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, by which he obtained witness that he was righteous, God testifying of his gifts: and by it he being dead yet speaketh.
(5) By faith Enoch.was translated that he should not see death; and was not found, because God had translated him: for before his translation he had this testimony, that he pleased God.
(6) But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.
(7) By faith Noah, being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear, prepared an ark to the saving of his house; by the which he condemned the world, and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith.
(8) By faith Abraham, when he was called to go out into a place which he should after receive for an inheritance, obeyed; and he went out, not knowing whither he went.
(9) By faith he sojourned in the land of promise, as in a strange country, dwelling in tabernacles with Isaac and Jacob, the heirs with him of the same promise:
(10) For he looked for a city which hath foundations, whose builder and maker is God.
(11) Through faith also Sara.herself received strength to conceive seed, and was delivered of a child when she was past age, because she judged him faithful who had promised.
(12) Therefore sprang there even of one, and him as good as dead, so many as the stars of the sky in multitude, and as the sand which is by the sea shore innumerable.
(13) These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth.

He says that Abel, Enoch, Noah, Abraham, also Sarah, these all died in faith, not having received the promises.

Spoiler
He specifically chose these examples to convey that "these all" died in faith, so if we grant that he isn't going to contradict himself, "translated that he should not see death" isn't going to conflict with "Enoch died in faith." It's very important to consider context in these types of passages. For example,

Joh 8:51 KJV
(51) Verily, verily, I say unto you, If a man keep my saying, he shall never see death.

In John, the charge of contradiction is resolved because we know that Jesus is speaking of the second death, not the first.

Rev 2:11 KJV
(11) He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; He that overcometh shall not be hurt of the second death.

So consider the case of Enoch. He was not, for God took him. He was translated that he should not see death. His son's name means "his death shall bring" and the flood that wiped all living flesh that breathed air off the face of the planet coincided with the death of his son. Yet we are told that Enoch died without receiving the promises. Any interpretation we reach needs to account for all our information.

Could "that he should not see death" mean "that he would not see God destroy the earth with a flood?" Maybe. Could it mean that God took him so he would not see death at the hands of evil men? Perhaps that also. I'm inclined towards the second meaning. Perhaps some of both.

Isa 57:1 KJV
(1) The righteous perisheth, and no man layeth it to heart: and merciful men are taken away, none considering that the righteous is taken away from the evil to come.

But we are told that Enoch is among those who died. That's something we can't just ignore.

Last edited:

Rosenritter

peace

Transfigured? I think the passage says "translated" which is a different meaning.

G3346
μετατίθημι
metatithēmi
met-at-ith'-ay-mee
From G3326 and G5087; to transfer, that is, (literally) transport, (by implication) exchange, (reflexively) change sides, or (figuratively) pervert: - carry over, change, remove, translate, turn.

Spoiler

Concordance Results Using KJV

Strong's Number G3346 matches the Greek
μετατίθημι
(metatithēmi),
which occurs 7 times in
verses in the Greek concordance of the KJV
Click here to view results using the NASB Greek concordance
Click here to view results using the HCSB Greek concordance

btnT_a.png
copyChkboxOff.gif
Act 7:16
And were carried over G3346 into Sychem, and laid in the sepulchre that Abraham bought for a sum of money of the sons of Emmor the father of Sychem.
btnT_a.png
copyChkboxOff.gif
Gal 1:6
I marvel that ye are G3346 so soon removed G3346 from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel:
btnT_a.png
copyChkboxOff.gif
Heb 7:12
For the priesthood being changed, G3346 there is made of necessity a change also of the law.
btnT_a.png
copyChkboxOff.gif
Heb 11:5
By faith Enoch was translated G3346 that he should not see death; and was not found, because God had translated G3346 him: for before his translation he had this testimony, that he pleased God.
btnT_a.png
copyChkboxOff.gif
Jde 1:4
For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning G3346 the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ.

Transfigured is used in Matthew 17:2 and Mark 9:2, but when Jesus was transfigured, he remained upon the earth.

Rosenritter

"So all the days of Enoch were three hundred and sixty-five years. And Enoch walked with God; and he was not for God took him." (Genesis 5:23-24)

The phrase "he was not" means he ceased to exist.

It could also mean that he was no longer found and that no one could say where he was after that.

Rosenritter

I didn't realize the question would be too tough for you.

They don't go to heaven because they inherit the earth.

Jamie, you know that I agree that saints are not in heaven, but I don't agree with your logic on this point. Jesus ascended to heaven, yet he shall inherit all nations, and I think it is safe to assume that these nations upon the earth.

Psa 82:8 KJV
(8) Arise, O God, judge the earth: for thou shalt inherit all nations.

Someone is inheriting all nations here, and it calls him God. So one must be able to inherit the earth even if one has residence in heaven above in the past or the here and now.

God's Truth

"to the general assembly and church of the firstborn who are registered in heaven" (Hebrews 12:23)

Registered in heaven, not reside in heaven. The firstborn are registered in the Lamb's Book of Life.

Read the whole scripture.

Hebrews 12:23 To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, who are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect,

When you come to Jesus to be saved, you come to God,...to the SPIRITS OF MEN MADE PERFECT.

That is who you are coming to when you come to Jesus to be saved.

You are not coming to a registry.

God's Truth

But you see GT, I have no need to accuse you. You do a fine job of turning most of the population of this board against you by your very own self. Please take it to heart where it speaks of what the fruits of the Right Spirit are: love, joy, peace.... and so forth.

Against these there is no law.

Debate me and my beliefs but stop trying to judge me personally. Would you like it if I constantly went after you personally?

You must not have the truth or else you would speak it instead of trying to judge someone.