AnnaB: "MANLY men!"

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
when i think of a barbarian, i never picture a woman. i wonder what they did to an unmanly guy in the barbarian days ?

In the 50s and early 60s, it was pretty grim for you if you were noticeably different in any way. I got into athletics because I was small and smart, and didn't want to be a target. One of the things for which I'm grateful is that unusual kids are much less bullied than they used to be.

It happened fairly fast, I think. My older daughter is about ten years older than her sister. And she once told me she was concerned that Meg was hanging out with geeky kids. "She's an athlete, Dad; she doesn't have to do that."

It was no longer bad for one's popularity to associate with such kids by the time my younger girl was in school.

PureX

I've learned the lesson many times in my life that real strength doesn't need to nor desire to be displayed. I was always tough looking and clever enough not to be a target for the bullies. And I was not interested in bullying anyone else, so I managed to avoid violence in my younger days. But I've seen what all that macho violence does to young men enough to know that it's not ones who need to see strength displayed that are the truly strong ones. It's the ones that don't.

I had a friend named Tom in high school that played football, and was physically very strong. He was also a very affable guy who liked to laugh and joke with people and was not into bullying or intimidating anyone at all. A nice guy.

One day one of the other football players got the idea that my friend was someone he could bully because Tom didn't act tough. And so this guy started picking on Tom; calling him names (which Tom ignored) and then one day he pushed Tom's head into his metal locker. Big mistake. Tom said nothing at all. but physically picked the guy up in the air and threw him over a nearby stairwell railing. The guy fell to the concrete steps below and broke his arm. Tom was suspended and kicked off the football team. Needless to say no one EVER tried to pick on Tom again.

It's not the strutting cocks that are the tough ones. In fact, the reason they strut is because they are afraid of their own weakness, and they are afraid someone else will see it in them. So they mask it by strutting and playing tough. Bullies are really sissies at heart. The real tough guys don't need to strut and bully. They don't need to be violent to show themselves and the world how tough they are. But God help the fool that makes the mistake of assuming they are a convenient 'soft target'.

That preacher is a fool. He doesn't even know what real toughness is. Or what a real man is. And the people who go to his church and listen to his nonsense are just as stupid as he is. The blind leading the blind.

It's a weak man leading even weaker men with silly fantasies of how tough they all are.

Buzzword

Just to add more variety to the discussion...

There is a genetic propensity on the male side of my father's family to occasionally shorten one's fuse to a nib and become enraged for something less than trivial.
My grandfather dealt with it by driving a school bus for thirty years, and by the time he retired to the family farm was the most charitable and personable man I've ever known.
My uncle dealt with it by having a heart attack in traffic and nearly dying when his car flipped.
My dad dealt with it by having a stroke when I was fourteen, and up until that point was a bomb waiting to go off at all times.
Of course, his rage didn't really go away, it just became more predictable since he could no longer work a full day without a nap, and the closer that nap-time got, the easier he'd be to set off.
I grew up tiptoeing around my dad and bonding with my mom, and it wasn't until age 16 that I stood up to my dad during one of his ragings (this particular time set off by me sitting and listening politely to his side of the argument like he'd asked, then asking that he return the favor for my side), and suddenly felt powerful.

I wasn't into athletics as a boy, more interested in learning amazing things about nature and reading books and playing piano and singing than running with the pack, especially since I was an introvert and both of my parents were musicians and encouraged me to sing solos in church and take piano lessons.

I tended to have exactly one friend at a time instead of a group of running buddies, and pour all my energy into that one friend, but childhood being childhood all of them moved away eventually.

I did get into a lot of fights, mostly because I couldn't let anything anyone said roll off my back.
I didn't have a solid sense of self, and so would lash out, which in recent years I've learned was a tendency that baffled my teachers because my grades were always top-notch and I was always polite and honest with adults, even when I was in trouble.

I wasn't able to deal with my own personal maybe-genetic anger until 7th grade (ironically the one year I actually played school football), when I finally just got pounded into the carpet by a much bigger guy....right in front of the principal's office.
The experience left me conscious of the fact that if I continued to lash out, eventually it would turn deadly, especially with all the drug trafficking and gang violence that happened in my hometown.

So starting at age fifteen, I began reaching out of my introvert-shell.
Especially when, disgruntled with the lackluster state of my school's mixed choir and still singing in my falsetto (even with a basso profundo speaking voice), I asked to be able to audition for the girls' choir, which was made up of a large number of girls I'd grown up with and several of whom had taken or were taking private voice lessons.

So I sang soprano at the end of junior high, and the quirkiness of the situation led several of my fellow choristers to open up to me as I'd never experienced before, being the introvert with a book in the corner all through elementary school.

I was neck-deep in the friendzone, but I didn't care at the time because I was getting female attention and actually forming some friendships which lasted through college.
As a result of that initial reaching, I started a process to grow into an other-end-of-the-spectrum extrovert, which has stayed with me.

I'm still not into athletics for the most part, though I enjoy watching football enough that I can be sociable at a party with a game on.
I've never been hunting, I've barely fired a weapon (thus my insecurity following this past Christmas), I was a virgin until 17, I've never killed a man or beast big enough to threaten me.......and I'm more likely to try to talk my way out of a fight than bumrush somebody.

I've personally never understood the idea of "manliness," especially since our culture long ago abandoned any standard rites for entering adulthood.
All we have now is basically "Well, you're x-age, you'd better do x-thing," which is just "you have the legal right to do so now, so you should consider it," whether it's driving, buying cigarettes, enlisting in the military, drinking alcohol, or renting a car.

So since we have no clear understanding (as opposed to cultures which have very clear demarcation lines between childhood and adulthood), how can we agree on any ideas of "masculinity," or should we, especially when the more barbaric gender roles for males (hunting, killing, frequently mating) are gradually and rightfully being abandoned in favor of an egalitarian system?

As a t-shirt I saw awhile back put it:
manshirtsig_zpsfbae5f0b.jpg

EDIT: On an unrelated note, this thread title has the theme from "Two and a Half Men" stuck in my head.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
I once read an article about a football player, who was described as "so tough he orders quiche at a sports bar."

Lots of truth in that one.

PureX

I think the key to becoming a "man" resides in the willingness and ability to face one's self, honestly, and then deal with what you see, accordingly. I did not do this until I was almost 40 years old, so I didn't feel or see myself as a man until then.

I know some men who managed to do this in their 20s (not many, though) and some in their 30s. And I know a fair number of men who have never done it and probably never will. They will remain overgrown children all their lives.

For women I think it's different. For women I think it has to do with the idea and experience of motherhood. Not just in terms of becoming a mother, but also in terms of making peace with not being a mother if that's what life dictates. I think women who don't deal with the existential obligations of motherhood never really grow up. They remain girls all their lives.

I also think those who have matured properly and become men and women know what I'm talking about. While those who have not can only pretend to know, or respond with childish retorts.

Selaphiel

I once read an article about a football player, who was described as "so tough he orders quiche at a sports bar."

I like that one.

I can't help but be suspicious about the guys that focus so hard on what a man must be. Reminds me of dogs, I find that it is usually the tiny dogs that bark and act out the most.

So many of these ideas of masculinity are culturally contingent as well.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
It's not the strutting cocks that are the tough ones. In fact, the reason they strut is because they are afraid of their own weakness, and they are afraid someone else will see it in them. So they mask it by strutting and playing tough. Bullies are really sissies at heart. The real tough guys don't need to strut and bully. They don't need to be violent to show themselves and the world how tough they are. But God help the fool that makes the mistake of assuming they are a convenient 'soft target'.

I can't help but be suspicious about the guys that focus so hard on what a man must be. Reminds me of dogs, I find that it is usually the tiny dogs that bark and act out the most.

^^These.

and the coward dodges again

:chuckle:

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass

The Horn

BANNED
Banned
The preacher who punched that kid should have been arrested for assault and battery and defrocked . This kind of hateful , violent behavior as well as fostering of intolerance and bigotry against gays should never be allowed in a supposedly "civilized " country like America .

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Reminds me of dogs, I find that it is usually the tiny dogs that bark and act out the most.

you must be unfamiliar with terriers - my sister has a few, and they're a yappy bunch

they're also absolutely fearless, bred to follow rats and such down into their dens

tough keeping them away from the mink up here - another fearless critter

It's not the strutting cocks that are the tough ones.

you guys really don't have a clue what you're talking about, do you? :nono:

you really should watch a cockfight sometime

Last edited:

Lon

Picking up the Manly mantle again

Picking up the Manly mantle again

Or "back to the good ol' caveman days"

I've heard a few male/female jokes and humorous anecdotes and perhaps some are funny, some are not, and/or the difference to some people. I tend to value humor pointed at our gender roles and found this particular funny, simply because women must/necessarily use more words in a day than men. Why? I don't know, but humor in this case points to a genuine difference between gender roles and so I appreciate it as being funny. My wife does need to use up her words. In this instance, I think it was funny simply because you provided the mechanism for the difference.

I appreciate, given actual frictions, some humor might be too close for humor's sake. Or, that somethings are just not funny without reaction to it, whichever the case may be. Cavemen are a bit insensitive. I sometimes fall into that category, as you well know.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Or "back to the good ol' caveman days"

I've heard a few male/female jokes and humorous anecdotes and perhaps some are funny, some are not, and/or the difference to some people. I tend to value humor pointed at our gender roles and found this particular funny, simply because women must/necessarily use more words in a day than men. Why? I don't know, but humor in this case points to a genuine difference between gender roles and so I appreciate it as being funny. My wife does need to use up her words. In this instance, I think it was funny simply because you provided the mechanism for the difference.

Sure, I'd agree that some jokes that point out the differences between men and women are funny and some aren't. Hopefully the people you're joking with have a pretty good idea of where the line is.

And yes, there can be that difference of words between men and women, although again, that's a stereotype, not a rule, I'm sure we all know exceptions to the stereotype in both genders. A long time ago, I posted one of the funniest things I've read about those differences. It was attributed to Dave Barry although I don't know for sure that he wrote it. I haven't found an authoritative source.

Here it is again - and in rereading it, I was trying really hard not to laugh out loud because I'm in a public place at the moment. :chuckle:

Spoiler

The Difference Between Men and Women in a Conversation

Let's say a guy named Roger is attracted to a woman named Elaine. He asks her out to a movie; she accepts; they have a pretty good time. A few nights later he asks her out to dinner, and again they enjoy themselves. They continue to see each other regularly, and after a while neither one of them is seeing anybody else.

And then, one evening when they're driving home, a thought occurs to Elaine, and, without really thinking, she says it aloud: "Do you realize that, as of tonight, we've been seeing each other for exactly six months?"​
And then there is silence in the car. To Elaine, it seems like a very loud silence. She thinks to herself: Geez, I wonder if it bothers him that I said that. Maybe he's been feeling confined by our relationship; maybe he thinks I'm trying to push him into some kind of obligation that he doesn't want, or isn't sure of.

And Roger is thinking: Gosh. Six months.

And Elaine is thinking: But, hey, I'm not so sure I want this kind of relationship, either. Sometimes I wish I had a little more space, so I'd have time to think about whether I really want us to keep going the way we are, moving steadily toward . . . I mean, where are we going? Are we just going to keep seeing each other at this level of intimacy? Are we heading toward marriage? Toward children? Toward a lifetime together? Am I ready for that level of commitment? Do I really even know this person?

And Roger is thinking: . . . so that means it was . . . let's see . . February when we started going out, which was right after I had the car at the dealer's, which means . . . lemme check the odometer . . . Whoa! I am way overdue for an oil change here.

And Elaine is thinking: He's upset. I can see it on his face. Maybe I'm reading this completely wrong. Maybe he wants more from our relationship, more intimacy, more commitment; maybe he has sensed -- even before I sensed it -- that I was feeling some reservations. Yes, I bet that's it. That's why he's so reluctant to say anything about his own feelings. He's afraid of being rejected.

And Roger is thinking: And I'm gonna have them look at the transmission again. I don't care what those morons say, it's still not shifting right. And they better not try to blame it on the cold weather this time. What cold weather? It's 87 degrees out, and this thing is shifting like a garbage truck, and I paid those incompetent thieves $600.

And Elaine is thinking: He's angry. And I don't blame him. I'd be angry, too. I feel so guilty, putting him through this, but I can't help the way I feel. I'm just not sure.

And Roger is thinking: They'll probably say it's only a 90- day warranty. That's exactly what they're gonna say, the scumballs.

And Elaine is thinking: maybe I'm just too idealistic, waiting for a knight to come riding up on his white horse, when I'm sitting right next to a perfectly good person, a person I enjoy being with, a person I truly do care about, a person who seems to truly care about me. A person who is in pain because of my self-centered, schoolgirl romantic fantasy.

And Roger is thinking: Warranty? They want a warranty? I'll give them a warranty. I'll take their warranty and stick it right up their ......

"Roger," Elaine says aloud.

"What?" says Roger, startled.

"Please don't torture yourself like this," she says, her eyes beginning to brim with tears. "Maybe I should never have . . Oh, I feel so......"

(She breaks down, sobbing.)

"What?" says Roger.

"I'm such a fool," Elaine sobs. "I mean, I know there's no knight. I really know that. It's silly. There's no knight, and there's no horse."

"There's no horse?" says Roger.

"You think I'm a fool, don't you?" Elaine says.

"No!" says Roger, glad to finally know the correct answer.

"It's just that . . . It's that I . . . I need some time," Elaine says.

(There is a 15-second pause while Roger, thinking as fast as he can, tries to come up with a safe response. Finally he comes up with one that he thinks might work.)

"Yes," he says.

(Elaine, deeply moved, touches his hand.)

"Oh, Roger, do you really feel that way?" she says.

"What way?" says Roger.

"That way about time," says Elaine.

"Oh," says Roger. "Yes."

(Elaine turns to face him and gazes deeply into his eyes, causing him to become very nervous about what she might say next, especially if it involves a horse. At last she speaks.)

"Thank you, Roger," she says.

"Thank you," says Roger.

Then he takes her home, and she lies on her bed, a conflicted, tortured soul, and weeps until dawn, whereas when Roger gets back to his place, he opens a bag of Doritos, turns on the TV, and immediately becomes deeply involved in a rerun of a tennis match between two Czechoslovakians he never heard of. A tiny voice in the far recesses of his mind tells him that something major was going on back there in the car, but he is pretty sure there is no way he would ever understand what, and so he figures it's better if he doesn't think about it.

The next day Elaine will call her closest friend, or perhaps two of them, and they will talk about this situation for six straight hours. In painstaking detail, they will analyze everything she said and everything he said, going over it time and time again, exploring every word, expression, and gesture for nuances of meaning, considering every possible ramification. They will continue to discuss this subject, off and on, for weeks, maybe months, never reaching any definite conclusions, but never getting bored with it, either.

Meanwhile, Roger, while playing racquetball one day with a mutual friend of his and Elaine's, will pause just before serving, frown, and say:

"Norm, did Elaine ever own a horse?​

I appreciate, given actual frictions, some humor might be too close for humor's sake. Or, that somethings are just not funny without reaction to it, whichever the case may be. Cavemen are a bit insensitive. I sometimes fall into that category, as you well know.

We've had our differences, Lon. But I appreciate your effort - even when I'm disagreeing. Vehemently.