ECT Acts 2:45 is simple to do

SaulToPaul 2

The ones that lie and say they do ought to be glad that God is not judging today! Ananias and Sapphira, anyone?

Acts 5:1 But a certain man named Ananias, with Sapphira his wife, sold a possession,

Acts 5:2 And kept back part of the price, his wife also being privy to it, and brought a certain part, and laid it at the apostles' feet.

Acts 5:3 But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy Ghost, and to keep back part of the price of the land?

Acts 5:4 Whiles it remained, was it not thine own? and after it was sold, was it not in thine own power? why hast thou conceived this thing in thine heart? thou hast not lied unto men, but unto God.

Acts 5:5 And Ananias hearing these words fell down, and gave up the ghost: and great fear came on all them that heard these things.

Acts 5:6 And the young men arose, wound him up, and carried him out, and buried him.

Acts 5:7 And it was about the space of three hours after, when his wife, not knowing what was done, came in.

Acts 5:8 And Peter answered unto her, Tell me whether ye sold the land for so much? And she said, Yea, for so much.

Acts 5:9 Then Peter said unto her, How is it that ye have agreed together to tempt the Spirit of the Lord? behold, the feet of them which have buried thy husband are at the door, and shall carry thee out.

Acts 5:10 Then fell she down straightway at his feet, and yielded up the ghost: and the young men came in, and found her dead, and, carrying her forth, buried her by her husband.

Yes, the LORD said "sell all that ye have", and the faithful in early Acts did.

No one does it today. And, they would be in error to do so.

andyc

So what exactly are you getting at?
No Jewish believer in Christ was allowed to have wealth and property?

SaulToPaul 2

So what exactly are you getting at?
No Jewish believer in Christ was allowed to have wealth and property?

Here's what I am getting at:

The LORD told them to do something, and they did it...just as he said.

You don't. You don't know anyone who does.

andyc

Here's what I am getting at:

The LORD told them to do something, and they did it...just as he said.

You don't. You don't know anyone who does.

The Lord told the disciples to sell what they had in order to live off the gospel they preached. "A worker is worthy of his keep etc".
This was not a command to Jewish believers who were simply part of the church at Jerusalem.

You're taking a word and coming up with a paragraph. Very mad-like.

SaulToPaul 2

The Lord told the disciples to sell what they had in order to live off the gospel they preached. "A worker is worthy of his keep etc".
This was not a command to Jewish believers who were simply part of the church at Jerusalem.

Made up.
They all did it.

andyc

Made up.
They all did it.

They all gave, just as the gentiles did. That's all.

2 Corinthians 8:12 -14 For if there is first a willing mind, it is accepted according to what one has, and not according to what he does not have. For I do not mean that others should be eased and you burdened; but by an equality, that now at this time your abundance may supply their lack, that their abundance also may supply your lack——that there may be equality.

Again no difference.

You're all talk, STP.

heir

TOL Subscriber
A & S claimed that they were giving all of the money they had from the land they sold, but they weren't. There was nothing wrong with keeping money back for themselves, but the sin was lying about it.
They were to sell ALL and didn't. They did not do as commanded and lied that they did.

I agree that those who say they give, and don't, are guilty of the same sin.
Then you must also believe that those who don't sell out ALL today are under the same consequence for it is impossible to renew them again unto repentance.

Hebrews 6:4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,

Hebrews 6:5 And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,

Hebrews 6:6 If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.

Do you see what happens when you apply someone else's doctrine to yourself? What a mess. Get saved and 2 Timothy 2:15 KJV.

andyc

They were to sell ALL and didn't. They did not do as commanded and lied that they did.

Ok....lets ignore verse 4 then, shall we? LOL

Then you must also believe that those who don't sell out ALL today are under the same consequence for it is impossible to renew them again unto repentance.

Hebrews 6:4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,

Hebrews 6:5 And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,

Hebrews 6:6 If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.

Do you see what happens when you apply someone else's doctrine to yourself? What a mess. Get saved and 2 Timothy 2:15 KJV.

No one was obligated to sell anything. Jesus told the disciples to sell what they had in order to fully commit to their apostleship. But even this was not meant to be a command that they had to obey or else, it was something they should have wanted to do as they committed to full time ministry. See also Mark 10:29-30

oatmeal

Luke 18:18-30

18 And a certain ruler asked him, saying, Good Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?

19 And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? none is good, save one, that is, God.

20 Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Honour thy father and thy mother.

21 And he said, All these have I kept from my youth up.

22 Now when Jesus heard these things, he said unto him, Yet lackest thou one thing: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me.

23 And when he heard this, he was very sorrowful: for he was very rich.

24 And when Jesus saw that he was very sorrowful, he said, How hardly shall they that have riches enter into the kingdom of God!

25 For it is easier for a camel to go through a needle's eye, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

26 And they that heard it said, Who then can be saved?

27 And he said, The things which are impossible with men are possible with God.

28 Then Peter said, Lo, we have left all, and followed thee.

29 And he said unto them, Verily I say unto you, There is no man that hath left house, or parents, or brethren, or wife, or children, for the kingdom of God's sake,

30 Who shall not receive manifold more in this present time, and in the world to come life everlasting.

We must ask ourselves what did Jesus Christ mean by "all".

We must also ask if Jesus was specific to this ruler or was that a commandment for himself and others to follow.

Did Jesus Christ sell all that he had and give to the poor?

No, he did not.

Did his disciples sell all that they had and give to the poor?

No, they did not.

Joseph of Arimathea was rich and a disciple.

Matthew 27:57

When the even was come, there came a rich man of Arimathaea, named Joseph, who also himself was Jesus' disciple:

If Joseph had sold all he had and given all to the poor he would not have been rich.

Likewise he would not have been able to afford to prepare for need to put Jesus body in a new tomb wrapped in the linen cloth.

Did Jesus and his disciples sell all they they had and give to the poor?

Peter went back to fishing for a time, John 21:3, Jesus showed up and exhorted Peter to feed my sheep.....

He did not tell him to sell his fishing boat and equipment.

Why not? Maybe Peter was renting? Where did Peter get that money if he gave ALL to the poor?

At the crucifixion, what was the items that were parted?

Jesus' garments!

Did Jesus sell ALL that he owned and gave to the poor?

Were Jesus' disciples clothed, or had they sold ALL and gave to the poor?

These are practical questions that need practical answers.

Why did Jesus tell the rich young ruler to sell all?

Did he tell his disciples to sell all?

They didn't and neither did Jesus.

Why not?

heir

TOL Subscriber
No one was obligated to sell anything.
I guess the Lord didn't mean what He said here either. :rolleyes:

Luke 18:18 And a certain ruler asked him, saying, Good Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?

Luke 18:19 And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? none is good, save one, that is, God.

Luke 18:20 Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Honour thy father and thy mother.

Luke 18:21 And he said, All these have I kept from my youth up.

Luke 18:22 Now when Jesus heard these things, he said unto him, Yet lackest thou one thing: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me.

andyc

Acts 2:44 And all that believed were together, and had all things common;

Acts 2:45 And sold their possessions and goods, and parted them to all men, as every man had need.

Why don't you believe it?

Where does it say that they were commanded to sell their possessions?

SaulToPaul 2

Luke 18:18 And a certain ruler asked him, saying, Good Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?

Luke 18:19 And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? none is good, save one, that is, God.

Luke 18:20 Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Honour thy father and thy mother.

Luke 18:22 Now when Jesus heard these things, he said unto him, Yet lackest thou one thing: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me.

All we gotta do is leave it in a trib context. :)
Makes perfect sense.

andyc

Jesus was testing him to see how much he valued eternal life.

Luke 19:8-10
Then Zacchaeus stood and said to the Lord, "Look, Lord, I give half of my goods to the poor; and if I have taken anything from anyone by false accusation, I restore fourfold." And Jesus said to him, "Today salvation has come to this house, because he also is a son of Abraham; "for the Son of Man has come to seek and to save that which was lost."

Why didn't Jesus rebuke Zacchaeus for only giving half?
Giving is all about being spontaneous, not legalistic.

SaulToPaul 2

Jesus was testing him to see how much he valued eternal life.

Luke 19:8-10
Then Zacchaeus stood and said to the Lord, "Look, Lord, I give half of my goods to the poor; and if I have taken anything from anyone by false accusation, I restore fourfold." And Jesus said to him, "Today salvation has come to this house, because he also is a son of Abraham; "for the Son of Man has come to seek and to save that which was lost."

Why didn't Jesus rebuke Zacchaeus for only giving half?
Giving is all about being spontaneous, not legalistic.

Read the parable afterward.

Word based mystic

The early church was being led by the Spirit to give all. Probably with a foresight to prepare the church for upcoming tribulation and the romans coming to destroy.

Pauls letters do not infer or direct the believers to do so.

but did tell the individuals to give but not under compulsion.
This re-affirms the Spirit leading us in these types of situations and considerations.

Jesus did not tell all people he met to give up all their possessions.
Jesus knew that individuals had areas that they had to be dealt with in their life.

Paul tells the rich to be more considerate and giving to those in need.
A heart matter so we don't get our eyes focused on things but rather on Him and his Kingdom which is Love, peace, joy and righteousness in the Spirit.

I gave up gaming because my eyes and thoughts got distracted.
I choose to hear and obey, Hopefully more than not. And I will grow in that process. As He changes me. Co-laboring and partnering with him.