You're a cop and you should shoot a fleeing suspect when he has your...........

You're a cop and you should shoot a fleeing suspect when he has your...........

• Total voters

rainee

I'm not a cop but I think I would shoot at him over the last thirteen on the list
but would I shoot him eight times over all of the last thirteen? I don't think so.
Also you didn't ask how many times I would shoot over heard and then around the ground at his feet and so forth...

resodko

BANNED
Banned
I'm not a cop but I think I would shoot at him over the last thirteen on the list
but would I shoot him eight times over all of the last thirteen? I don't think so.
Also you didn't ask how many times I would shoot over heard and then around the ground at his feet and so forth...

if you shoot anywhere except center mass, you run the risk of stray bullets hitting non-involved citizens

and i wouldn't be surprised if slager's training involved emptying the whole clip if the decision to fire has been made

looks to me like slager made that decision while he was reaching for his sidearm, as scott was wrestling the taser away from him

rainee

if you shoot anywhere except center mass, you run the risk of stray bullets hitting non-involved citizens

and i wouldn't be surprised if slager's training involved emptying the whole clip if the decision to fire has been made

looks to me like slager made that decision while he was reaching for his sidearm, as scott was wrestling the taser away from him

Hi Res, please don't compare me to a real live cop! I'm thinking like a citizen and hoping no one wants to mess with me since I believe in shooting guns.

rainee

:doh: he had just demonstrated a willingness to assault a police officer

Some one told me long time ago you can't let others challenge your position - whether of authority or anything else.

That if they do and you let them get away with it, it will only get worse.

Years a ago a social worker had a young woman cut her blouse during an assigned meeting. So thinking quickly the SW cut the young woman's blouse. Turns out everything got better and the SW was actually able to help the young woman.

Cops may have an unwritten rule like that from long ago but was this situation like that?

rainee

ps Res, I think you are a teacher at heart so you are going to prolly know all about keeping control and holding your position.

Would you have shot him?

resodko

BANNED
Banned
well, unfortunately we have a truncated video on which to base our opinions - just like with rodney king - what was seen by the public was the cops beating him like a redheaded stepchild

what went unseen was his (rodney king's) drunken driving capers, his resisting arrest and struggling with the officers - iow, the precipitating factors that led to the event that got everybody outraged

i'll ask you (heck, i'll ask everybody) - you're in slager's shoes - this guy rabbits from his car, you chase him and deploy your only non-lethal weapon, which the perp takes away from you

what do you do in that instant?

do you sit down and start crying "no fair! that was my taser!"

do you let him resume running and wave bye-bye?

do you resume chasing him, determined to stop him with your bare hands?

or do you in that instant pull your sidearm and fire?

resodko

BANNED
Banned
ps Res, I think you are a teacher at heart so you are going to prolly know all about keeping control and holding your position.

Would you have shot him?

i would have shot him

i wouldn't have picked up the taser and dropped it next to the body

and i wouldn't claim that i had performed cpr

rainee

Sir, I do not fire.

But I might keep an eye out to find him later, or impound his car or, heck, tell his mom. Or all three.

If you will forgive me - the gun is not an extension of your male whatever it is, but I do believe it can feel like it.

resodko

BANNED
Banned
Sir, I do not fire.

But I might keep an eye out to find him later, or impound his car or, heck, tell his mom. Or all three.

If you will forgive me - the gun is not an extension of your male whatever it is, but I do believe it can feel like it.

the problem is that he's already demonstrated himself to be a risk to the public, by running and by assaulting an officer

if you let him go, what kind of a firestorm do you suppose would ensue if he injures an innocent?

rainee

the problem is that he's already demonstrated himself to be a risk to the public, by running and by assaulting an officer

if you let him go, what kind of a firestorm do you suppose would ensue if he injures an innocent?

No, I agree with you. But the situation was against the cop stopping him. The man was getting away, period.
I think he would not be able to solve the problem then - even if the guy did do harm after.
However, I repeat - there is always later.
Maybe the opportunity would avail itself to stop this guy getting away with such things?
But the Rodney King incident reminds me, can't go too far even later.

Gotta be wise and strong.

resodko

BANNED
Banned
No, I agree with you. But the situation was against the cop stopping him. The man was getting away, period.
I think he would not be able to solve the problem then - even if the guy did do harm after.
However, I repeat - there is always later.
Maybe the opportunity would avail itself to stop this guy getting away with such things?
But the Rodney King incident reminds me, can't go too far even later.

Gotta be wise and strong.

i've heard the cbc radio coverage of the beating in california - haven't looked for it online yet - surprised nobody posted about it yet

i've got a monster final coming up in a few weeks and should have my head into that and not this

rainee

i've heard the cbc radio coverage of the beating in california - haven't looked for it online yet - surprised nobody posted about it yet

i've got a monster final coming up in a few weeks and should have my head into that and not this

Hope you rock it, Res!

(Sorry for my big sharing of opinions. I would not make a good cop or authority)

fool

Hall of Fame
Keep chasing. Call for back-up. :idunno:
We still need more info on the particulars but most Tasers from what I gather still operate as contact stun guns after the dart shooting part has been discharged.
So, chasing a guy that has your stun gun? What do you do when you catch him? Besides get stunned.
Resisting arrest isn't the same as being a thread to anyone else.
But running away with your Taser opens a whole list of problems. Police forces aren't exactly in the business of handing those things out. If he goes on to hurt another officer or anyone else it's on that cops head.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
We still need more info on the particulars but most Tasers from what I gather still operate as contact stun guns after the dart shooting part has been discharged.
So, chasing a guy that has your stun gun? What do you do when you catch him? Besides get stunned.

But running away with your Taser opens a whole list of problems. Police forces aren't exactly in the business of handing those things out. If he goes on to hurt another officer or anyone else it's on that cops head.

So to prevent him from possibly tasing another officer you shoot him. I don't buy it.

resodko

BANNED
Banned
So to prevent him from possibly tasing another officer you shoot him. I don't buy it.

imo, slager made the decision to shoot when he reached for his sidearm - when scott was getting control of the taser

it was the correct decision to make in the immediate circumstance - he had deployed his non-lethal weapon, it had failed to stop the perp, the perp wrestled it from his control, he reached for his lethal weapon

and you don't pull your sidearm unless you're going to use it

you don't hand over the taser and pull out your glock just to show the perp how pretty it is

in those less than two seconds between him reaching for it and beginning to fire, about the only thing scott could have done to defuse the situation would have been to throw himself on the ground with his hands over his head

but no, he was trying to control the situation

by running

cops don't like it when perps try to control the situation

it makes them escalate the level of force used

remember eric garner?

"this ends today!"

he was trying to control the situation