Woman behaves violently in public just to make an obscure point

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
When people put themselves into starvation mode, by not regularly eating throughout the day more frequently; when they do eat, they feast and gorge themselves, so that they can add extra calories, for later, because apparently food is scarce.

Your science is incorrect. It isn't your fault, you were just fed lies. Skipping lunch does not put the body in "starvation mode". Martin uses 4 letter words when he doesn't need to use the. So keep that in mind when you go to the site.

I have no real comment about will power save for this. People don't have it. They are called addicts. They are addicted to something because they cannot control themselves or their lives. Food is the same way. Don't go in Golden Corral, and you don't have to worry about gluttony in their restaurant.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You guys know there is a weight loss/fitness thread, right? Delmar started. Weekly weigh in, is what he called it.

God's Truth

Does it please you to act like a robot? Why don't you just let go? Or is there nothing to let go? Are you one of those? :plain: You're one of those.
Maybe it does. You quoted the entire extent of the Catholic Church's magisterium's infallible teaching on this moral matter of gluttony. Why don't we even have the Church's definition of the sin? It's listed with a number of other sins that have texts and even pages devoted to them and to their description and explanation, why is what you've already quoted the full extent of the Church's treatment of the moral matter of gluttony? A mere name-drop? That's it?

Maybe it's so not-grave it's actually not worth defining anymore? What could have changed? Maybe the world is so different today than in centuries past, that in most countries, the sin of gluttony isn't even possible anymore? I don't know, I'm only speculating, as to why the extent of the Catholic Church's treatment on the moral matter of gluttony, is a single name-drop in a single Text, dealing with the seven "capital sins." :think:

Good points. It is wrong to overeat, but for the overweight priests to preach such a thing would be hypocritical. No? They would surely insult too many and lose parishioners.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
There is one? What percentage of people have it?

And... if they don't take in much, much more energy than they use... where does the extra weight come from?

There are medical and genetic issues that can cause a severe drop in metabolism, which causes weight gain without a person overeating. Also some medications cause it.

Genetic syndromes

Several genetic syndromes are associated with overweight and obesity, including the following.

Prader-Willi syndrome
Bardet-Biedl syndrome
Alström syndrome
Cohen syndrome

The study of these genetic syndromes has helped researchers understand obesity.
Endocrine disorders

Because the endocrine system produces hormones that help maintain energy balances in the body, the following endocrine disorders or tumors affecting the endocrine system can cause overweight and obesity.

Hypothyroidism. People with this condition have low levels of thyroid hormones. These low levels are associated with decreased metabolism and weight gain, even when food intake is reduced. People with hypothyroidism also produce less body heat, have a lower body temperature, and do not efficiently use stored fat for energy.
Cushing’s syndrome. People with this condition have high levels of glucocorticoids, such as cortisol, in the blood. High cortisol levels make the body feel like it is under chronic stress. As a result, people have an increase in appetite and the body will store more fat. Cushing’s syndrome may develop after taking certain medicines or because the body naturally makes too much cortisol.
Tumors. Some tumors, such as craneopharingioma, can cause severe obesity because the tumors develop near parts of the brain that control hunger.

Medicines

Medicines such as antipsychotics, antidepressants, antiepileptics, and antihyperglycemics can cause weight gain and lead to overweight and obesity.

Talk to your doctor if you notice weight gain while you are using one of these medicines. Ask if there are other forms of the same medicine or other medicines that can treat your medical condition, but have less of an effect on your weight. Do not stop taking the medicine without talking to your doctor.
Read more

Several parts of your body, such as your stomach, intestines, pancreas, and fat tissue, use hormones to control how your brain decides if you are hungry or full. Some of these hormones are insulin, leptin, glucagon-like peptide (GLP-1), peptide YY, and ghrelin.
https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/obe/causes

musterion

Low metabolism sure can help put weight on (low thyroid, I know all about it), but if the body is putting on fat, that fat's coming from somewhere. Even with low metabolism, such a person still has to be taking in more calories than they're burning off.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Low metabolism sure can help put weight on (low thyroid, I know all about it), but if the body is putting on fat, that fat's coming from somewhere. Even with low metabolism, such a person still has to be taking in more calories than they're burning off.

Depending on how bad it is, it can be so low, that you would end up starving to death while storing everything, because the mechanisms that burn whats stored, arent working.

Same thing can happen in reverse also, that someones body burns way too much and doesn't store.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
And lay off the name-calling. It's childish.
Rather, what's really childish, is behaving in a such way that you incur the wrath of those calling you names for so doing. Like, pretending like you don't understand something that's very clear. Or, not understanding something that's very clear. Both of those things, deserve name-calling.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Your science is incorrect. It isn't your fault, you were just fed lies. Skipping lunch does not put the body in "starvation mode". Martin uses 4 letter words when he doesn't need to use the. So keep that in mind when you go to the site.

I have no real comment about will power save for this. People don't have it. They are called addicts. They are addicted to something because they cannot control themselves or their lives. Food is the same way. Don't go in Golden Corral, and you don't have to worry about gluttony in their restaurant.
My concern was that we consume more calories when we eat less frequently. It's not a hard-and-fast rule; there are exceptions, but mainly, people who are fat eat too many calories, and many of them eat too infrequently, which leads to them eating more calories when they do eat. So they eat too many calories, because they eat too infrequently.

glassjester

Rather, what's really childish, is behaving in a such way that you incur the wrath of those calling you names for so doing. Like, pretending like you don't understand something that's very clear. Or, not understanding something that's very clear. Both of those things, deserve name-calling.

Haha, sure.

Hi, Nihilo, this conversation was dead for a long time!

Maybe you are willing to refresh my memory - what was I pretending to not understand, when we last left off?

glassjester

My concern was that we consume more calories when we eat less frequently. It's not a hard-and-fast rule; there are exceptions, but mainly, people who are fat eat too many calories, and many of them eat too infrequently, which leads to them eating more calories when they do eat. So they eat too many calories, because they eat too infrequently.

Even if they eat infrequently, aren't they choosing what they eat?

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Even if they eat infrequently, aren't they choosing what they eat?
Point, please?

And if there are any of the following present, then the Church teaches that their choice is not deliberate:

"...ignorance, inadvertence, duress, fear, habit, inordinate attachments, and other psychological or social factors..."

"...Unintentional ignorance..."

"...The promptings of feelings and passions..."

"...external pressures or pathological disorders..."

"...destitution, blackmail, or social pressure..."

glassjester

That there is a difference between eating frequency, and calories.

No pretending there, man. I do not see the moral or medical difference between eating too frequently and consuming too many calories.

Both actions constitute "overeating."

glassjester

Point, please?

And if there are any of the following present, then the Church teaches that their choice is not deliberate:

"...ignorance, inadvertence, duress, fear, habit, inordinate attachments, and other psychological or social factors..."

"...Unintentional ignorance..."

"...The promptings of feelings and passions..."

"...external pressures or pathological disorders..."

"...destitution, blackmail, or social pressure..."

I only eat three meals a day. But I choose to eat healthy foods. I am not overweight.

It's not impossible to eat three healthy meals a day, and maintain a healthy weight.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
No pretending there, man. I do not see the moral or medical difference between eating too frequently and consuming too many calories.

Both actions constitute "overeating."
I only eat three meals a day. But I choose to eat healthy foods. I am not overweight.

It's not impossible to eat three healthy meals a day, and maintain a healthy weight.
Are you contending that eating more than three times a day is immoral, even if the total calories eaten are the same, or even less? Because that's definitely what it sounds like you're saying.

glassjester

Are you contending that eating more than three times a day is immoral, even if the total calories eaten are the same, or even less? Because that's definitely what it sounds like you're saying.

No, of course not.

I am saying that overeating (consuming too many calories) is overeating - it doesn't really matter how it's spread throughout the day.

You seemed to be implying that people are only overweight because they only get to eat at specific times, and if they could eat more frequently, instead, then they wouldn't be overweight.

I think that makes no sense. So I responded by saying that I only eat at mealtimes, yet I am not overweight.

I assumed you meant that people are overweight because they are limited to specific mealtimes. Maybe I'm wrong. If so, correct me. What did you mean?

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
No, of course not.

I am saying that overeating (consuming too many calories) is overeating - it doesn't really matter how it's spread throughout the day.

You seemed to be implying that people are only overweight because they only get to eat at specific times, and if they could eat more frequently, instead, then they wouldn't be overweight.

I think that makes no sense. So I responded by saying that I only eat at mealtimes, yet I am not overweight.

I assumed you meant that people are overweight because they are limited to specific mealtimes. Maybe I'm wrong. If so, correct me. What did you mean?
I was figuring that the people in the OP were eating once or twice a day; that's all.