Why would any conservative support Donald Trump?

glorydaz

It's neither a technicality, nor incidental. On the contrary, the press are explicitly protected by the Constitution, the only industry that is. The fact that it happens to celebrities and politicians all the time, and they just kinda have to deal with it, is a reflection of the Constitutionally protected nature of journalism.

I've looked at it a several times. I still don't see it.

Drumpf loves to threaten legal action. He never really follows through.

Not generally.

The bruise is evidence of the crime, but not necessary for it to be a crime. And anyway, he yanked her back by a lot. He not only stopped her forward motion, but pulled her back by what looks like at least the width of her shoulders.

Assault and battery are often conflated. And all of the evidence is that it was a fairly rough handling.

Well, cops are obligated to take a complaint, but I'll be shocked if a Prosecutor presses charges and even more shocked if a Judge allows this in his courtroom. There is no "there" there.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
He changes his position with the mood of those who he hopes will vote for him. There us no way to know what he stands for. All we know is he wants to be elected; even that seems precarious to me.

Trump is the best candidate for president, he is staunch and reliable.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
a woman who chooses to murder her unborn child is a murderer

no different from a woman who chooses to murder her children after they are born

not sure why that's a difficult concept for some :idunno:

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
The only way---and someone correct me if I'm wrong (IANAL)---that anybody can change abortion laws is to amend the Constitution and particularly the 14th Amendment, which is what the Roe v. Wade decision was based upon. That's a tall order, and explains why no Republican has been able to do anything about the issue for decades, no matter what they say they're going to do, or what position they hold to on the matter. When candidates have sometimes said that abortion should be handled by the States, they've been hinting at un-incorporating the Bill of Rights against the States, which is what the 14th Amendment is about, in part (although Roe v. Wade was not based upon incorporation, but upon privacy).

I'm probably wrong somewhere though, so anybody who cam chime in and correct me, go right ahead.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
The only way---and someone correct me if I'm wrong (IANAL)---that anybody can change abortion laws is to amend the Constitution and particularly the 14th Amendment, which is what the Roe v. Wade decision was based upon. That's a tall order, and explains why no Republican has been able to do anything about the issue for decades, no matter what they say they're going to do, or what position they hold to on the matter. When candidates have sometimes said that abortion should be handled by the States, they've been hinting at un-incorporating the Bill of Rights against the States, which is what the 14th Amendment is about, in part (although Roe v. Wade was not based upon incorporation, but upon privacy).

I'm probably wrong somewhere though, so anybody who cam chime in and correct me, go right ahead.

Nah, You're right....But a redefinition of what constitutes a "person" would have the desired effect. Privacy does not extend to the murder of another individual. :plain:

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Nah, You're right....But a redefinition of what constitutes a "person" would have the desired effect. Privacy does not extend to the murder of another individual. :plain:
Ah. So there would need to be a new law, and then a SCOTUS case that handled the question of how the new law fit in with the 14th Amendment then . . . I'm way beyond my depth here, but something like that?

The first thing is the new law though, and that would change the abortion laws, until it inevitably was heard by the SCOTUS, which would then either . . . what's the word? invalidate? vacate? IDK. The Court could pronounce the new law unconstitutional, or it could uphold it. Something like that?

Greg Jennings

I don't care what Trump cares about, I care that any voter would excuse Trump from fact-checking because his speeches are "conversational, and not meant to be researched," because that's exactly what's wrong with the thinking of Trump supporters.

And yes, Trump uses emotion because he's a nativist and a demagogue. He's not the first politician to be a nativist and a demagogue, but he is the first politician to be a nativist, a demagogue, a reality show host and a beauty pageant owner. What a guy...

He's engaging. He is interesting. And whether you like it or not, those are qualities that people are drawn to. Also, nativism is the climate of the times. He appeals to that, as you yourself say, as well. I'm not defending all of his actions, but I know why he does some of them. And it's because they work and have been working.

But no, not for one minute do I think he's the evil monster that everyone wants him to be

Greg Jennings

Not accurate, because Trump is a politician now. No going back on that one, he's there.\

But the description of a spine with legs leaves out a brain, among other important organs, so I'll grant you that much...
My comment was about his popularity being a result of his being a "spine with legs." I wasn't suggesting that being a "spine with legs" is a qualification for being the president

Quetzal

He's engaging. He is interesting. And whether you like it or not, those are qualities that people are drawn to. Also, nativism is the climate of the times. He appeals to that, as you yourself say, as well. I'm not defending all of his actions, but I know why he does some of them. And it's because they work and have been working.

But no, not for one minute do I think he's the evil monster that everyone wants him to be
He is a direct reflection of the populace that is supporting him. If he is elected into the Oval Office, I am prepared to make the painful conclusion that the reason he is there is because the majority of the voting public don't care about what is important. That is, social justice and equality, political integrity (as much as one can expect, anyway), and the embodiment of what I think this nation is capable of. I do not believe he is any of those things and my only hope is enough other folks see that, too.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
He is a direct reflection of the populace that is supporting him. If he is elected into the Oval Office, I am prepared to make the painful conclusion that the reason he is there is because the majority of the voting public don't care about what is important to me. That is, social justice and equality, political integrity (as much as one can expect, anyway), and the embodiment of what I think this nation is capable of. I do not believe he is any of those things and my only hope is enough other folks see that, too.

can you at least be honest enough to admit this?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
He is a direct reflection of the populace that is supporting him. If he is elected into the Oval Office, I am prepared to make the painful conclusion that the reason he is there is because the majority of the voting public don't care about what is important. That is, social justice and equality, political integrity (as much as one can expect, anyway), and the embodiment of what I think this nation is capable of. I do not believe he is any of those things and my only hope is enough other folks see that, too.
If he's elected P.T. Barnum will be blushing in his grave.