Why I love divorce

Bradley D

You are right, we can divorce if our spouse commits adultery. However, I do not see where you get that we can divorce if our spouse is an unbeliever.

Only if the unbelieving spouse wants to leave. The believer is no longer under commitment to the unbelieving spouse. "…For the unbelieving husband is sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified through her believing husband; for otherwise your children are unclean, but now they are holy. Yet if the unbelieving one leaves, let him leave; the brother or the sister is not under bondage in such cases, but God has called us to peace. For how do you know, O wife, whether you will save your husband? Or how do you know, O husband, whether you will save your wife?" (1 Cor. 7:14-16). That can be seen as a divorce. I would say that the believer may marry again. But only to a believer. "A wife is bound as long as her husband lives; but if her husband is dead, she is free to be married to whom she wishes, only in the Lord.…" (1 Cor. 7:39)

God's Truth

I don't know how to do several parts of a quote, but here goes with titles:

When you want to separate the quotes there has to be brackets '[ ]' before the sentence with the word QUOTE in capital letters inside the brackets, and after the sentence there has to be brackets '[ ]' with a slash '/' before the word QUOTE.
I hope that helps.
re the unbelieving spouse:
"If the unbeliever leaves, let him do so. A believing man or woman is not bound in such circumstances... How do you know, wife, whether you will save your husband?..." I Cor 7:15

That scripture says if the unbeliever leaves. It is clear the decision to leave is the decision of the unbeliever, not the believer's decision. However, in the case of adultery, divorce can be the decision of the believer.

re the rabbi title
I don't call him my rabbi. I was using it in the historical sense, just as if we were talking about a priest in the 3rd century of church history who was known as Father Democraticus, etc.

I think we should still be careful not to call anyone rabbi or father.

re targeting:
I said what I though he was targeting. Shammai allowed divorce for trivial reasons. He also taught that remarriage to divorcees was not adultery. Jesus was speaking back about both.

re people who rejected Jesus:
They rejected his claim to be Messiah; they may not have rejected every single teaching bit and piece. Hillel was strict about divorce. Hillel also used a 'golden rule' saying that was in negative form. "Do not do anything to a neighbor that you would not want done to yourself."

If they reject Jesus they reject God.

Luke 10:16 "Whoever listens to you listens to me; whoever rejects you rejects me; but whoever rejects me rejects him who sent me."

God's Truth

Only if the unbelieving spouse wants to leave. The believer is no longer under commitment to the unbelieving spouse. "…For the unbelieving husband is sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified through her believing husband; for otherwise your children are unclean, but now they are holy. Yet if the unbelieving one leaves, let him leave; the brother or the sister is not under bondage in such cases, but God has called us to peace. For how do you know, O wife, whether you will save your husband? Or how do you know, O husband, whether you will save your wife?" (1 Cor. 7:14-16). That can be seen as a divorce. I would say that the believer may marry again. But only to a believer. "A wife is bound as long as her husband lives; but if her husband is dead, she is free to be married to whom she wishes, only in the Lord.…" (1 Cor. 7:39)

I used to believe that a believer could remarry if a spouse is the one who did the divorcing, or the adultery; however, I used to just believe what I was told and did not study about it for myself. After studying this for myself I see that we are to marry only once.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned

When thou shalt vow a vow unto the LORD thy God, thou shalt not slack to pay it: for the LORD thy God will surely require it of thee and it would be sin in thee.

But if thou shalt forbear to vow, it shall be no sin in thee [Deut. 23:21–22].

"A vow to the Lord was a voluntary act. No one was required to take a vow. However, once a person had made a vow to the Lord, that vow was absolutely binding, as we have mentioned before." McGee, J. V. (1991). Thru the Bible commentary: The Law (Deuteronomy) (electronic ed., Vol. 9, p. 149). Nashville: Thomas Nelson.

Wendell Sonny Lawson ~ The End

dialm

BANNED
Banned
Not a one. Work through your problems.

Thanks but I don't have any problems. You may have some but I'm not for sure yet. Have you not read where the Earth was void and without form? Don't you think that a good marriage could be stricken and laid waste? God creates out of nothing. God creates out of chaos.

The divorce rate is going up. If this pattern continues there will be utter chaos. What do you suppose will be Gods answer to utter marriage chaos if it takes place Bright Raven?

Interplanner

When you want to separate the quotes there has to be brackets '[ ]' before the sentence with the word QUOTE in capital letters inside the brackets, and after the sentence there has to be brackets '[ ]' with a slash '/' before the word QUOTE.
I hope that helps.

That scripture says if the unbeliever leaves. It is clear the decision to leave is the decision of the unbeliever, not the believer's decision. However, in the case of adultery, divorce can be the decision of the believer.

I think we should still be careful not to call anyone rabbi or father.

If they reject Jesus they reject God.

Luke 10:16 "Whoever listens to you listens to me; whoever rejects you rejects me; but whoever rejects me rejects him who sent me."

When he said that in Lk 10, he was on a certain topic. Other people/teachers of the day commented on divorce and some were closer or farther to Jesus on this topic.

re the unbeliever's departure. That's why I call it a half-reason. There can be a divorce if they decide to leave.

Interplanner

re the OP,
it is not healthy to take an exception to what God has ordained, and that is for miserable reasons, and make it an ideal. Almost all divorcing Christians I have met have had a fundamental misunderstanding of forgiveness or unwillingness about it, or
have been willfully ignorant of good help, or
have engaged in time-warp tricks ("If I thought they were going to be like this 10 years ago, I never would have married them"--which is the height of dishonesty and irresponsibility).

And then there is the conditional love people. I agree that both parties need to put in, need to give and not just expect to get, but I know just as many where the person claiming that the other is not giving has changed the standards on their spouse. Ie, they are actually hidden conditional love people. They hide or hold on to a condition, and then bring it out to justify leaving or otherwise demeaning their spouse.

dialm

BANNED
Banned
We are not to have hate in our hearts. Better to love everyone and everything. I'm going to love my neighbor. My neighbor is everyone because everyone is in need. Everything that happens is a test.

I want to pass the test Teacher. I want You to tell me

'Well done'

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
"Only if the unbelieving spouse wants to leave. The believer is no longer under commitment to the unbelieving spouse."
Marriage is dissolved by death (Rom. 7:2, 3).
"…I would say that the believer may marry again."
That would make them an adulterer (Lk 16:18).
"...if her husband is dead, she is free to be married to whom she wishes, only in the Lord.…" (1 Cor. 7:39)
The rest of the verse reads: But she is happier if she remains as she is, according to my judgment (1 Co 7:40). If she is found in the Lord marriage has already served its purpose (Is. 54:5, Eph. 5:23–32).

See:

Divorce & Remarriage: A Position Paper by John Piper

HisServant

If you understand though, that even then, you are not to remarry, then maybe you will wait for her to come back, or live as a single person.

I let her go as scriptures require and gave her a bill of divorce... scripture say that I am no longer bound to her and may do as I please.

I stayed single for 9 years after she left.. never divorce and never looked to remarry.

Then God brought someone into my life... I've had the happiest 7 years of my life being married to her. To think God did not have his hand in us meeting and has not blessed us is to be ignorant.

HisServant

When thou shalt vow a vow unto the LORD thy God, thou shalt not slack to pay it: for the LORD thy God will surely require it of thee and it would be sin in thee.

But if thou shalt forbear to vow, it shall be no sin in thee [Deut. 23:21–22].

"A vow to the Lord was a voluntary act. No one was required to take a vow. However, once a person had made a vow to the Lord, that vow was absolutely binding, as we have mentioned before." McGee, J. V. (1991). Thru the Bible commentary: The Law (Deuteronomy) (electronic ed., Vol. 9, p. 149). Nashville: Thomas Nelson.

Wendell Sonny Lawson ~ The End

Christians are NOT to make Vows... which renders wedding vows to be an act of sin. Hence, I did not make any vows, all we did was sign the paperwork in front of witnesses... to satisfy the legal requirements for a marriage license.

HisServant

Marriage is dissolved by death (Rom. 7:2, 3).

That would make them an adulterer (Lk 16:18).
The rest of the verse reads: But she is happier if she remains as she is, according to my judgment (1 Co 7:40). If she is found in the Lord marriage has already served its purpose (Is. 54:5, Eph. 5:23–32).

See:

Divorce & Remarriage: A Position Paper by John Piper

I just hope that someday you are bound by the same chains that you are so intent on putting others in.

People make mistakes... Jesus knew that.

The other problem is you are taking snippets of scripture out of the context and culture of what marriage meant to the intended audience and trying to apply them to today's marriage.

Its a huge error in teaching and you will all be held accountable for it someday... and it wont be pretty.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
I let her go as scriptures require and gave her a bill of divorce... scripture say that I am no longer bound to her and may do as I please.

Is that the law of His Servant? :Shimei: Cite the scripture that tells you to put your wife away.

Last edited:

HisServant

Is that the law of His Servant? :Shemie: Cite the scripture that tells you to put your wife away.

I did not put away my wife... she left of her own accord. It was only after 5 years of her being unrepentant and unwilling to reconcile that i granted her the divorce she wanted.

15But if the unbeliever leaves, let it be so. The brother or the sister is not bound in such circumstances; God has called us to live in peace. 16How do you know, wife, whether you will save your husband? Or, how do you know, husband, whether you will save your wife?

I am no longer bound to her... I should have actually granted her the divorce the first time she asked for one.

God has called us to peace... how can you reconcile your views of scripture that would permanently bind someone to a marriage of strife and loneliness?

God's Truth

Scripture does not say you can do as you please.

I stayed single for 9 years after she left.. never divorce and never looked to remarry.

Then God brought someone into my life... I've had the happiest 7 years of my life being married to her. To think God did not have his hand in us meeting and has not blessed us is to be ignorant.

It is a hard teaching, but it is the truth. Why else do you think Jesus' disciples said it is a hard teaching?

God's Truth

Christians are NOT to make Vows... which renders wedding vows to be an act of sin. Hence, I did not make any vows, all we did was sign the paperwork in front of witnesses... to satisfy the legal requirements for a marriage license.

The act of getting married is a vow, even without the written words.

Water baptism is a vow too.

HisServant

Scripture does not say you can do as you please.

It is a hard teaching, but it is the truth. Why else do you think Jesus' disciples said it is a hard teaching?

Because they were used to taking a new wife whenever they wanted without properly ending the previous marriage. There were women all over the place back then that were technically married, but not supported by their husbands and with no dowry to remarry.... because men were using marriage as a way to accumulate vast illgotten fortunes.

Basically, Jesus was using hyperbole to say to them that the exact opposite of what they were doing was just as lawful.

Anyhow... you really should keep your mouth shut unless you have actually spent time studying the context and culture of who Jesus was talking to and why.

Anyhow, I don't need anyones approval from this site... as the vast majority of the people here can be demonstrated to be idiots.... like you. You seem to be just about as smart as a box of rocks.