Why I love divorce

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
There are many good reasons. Can you think of any?

Dennis Prager says marriage is a job :scripto: and that you should be able to be fired from your job :scripto: (17 Jul 15 radio program). Does this help, humanist? Is. 24:5, Ezek. 44:7

Last edited:

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
Adultery and abuse.

...Burning biscuits
frying-pan-smash.gif

glassjester

There are many good reasons. Can you think of any?

Divorce is a good option to have because the lovey-dovey mood I was in when I got married might not last for more than a few years.

I can't possibly be expected to keep my commitments when I don't feel like it anymore!

Bradley D

"But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery" (Matthew 5:32).

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
"But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery" (Matthew 5:32).

Ex. 19:5, Heb 13:4

images

Last edited:

Buzzword

Abuse, malice, manipulation, growing apart instead of growing together, the marriage having been the result of an impulsive, socially pressured, and/or drunken mistake, etc etc.

'Tis a necessary institution.

Interplanner

If you understand though, that even then, you are not to remarry, then maybe you will wait for her to come back, or live as a single person.

There seems to be 1.5 reasons to divorce: adultery and unbelief. The unbelief reason is given as though common sense, but not as something you are entitled to take advantage of. It is I Cor 7: how do you know, spouse, that they will believe?

It certainly doesn't sound like remarriage to divorcees is approved even if there was adultery; but to a never-married or widowed person was allowed, Lk 16.

Divorce with a certificate that entitled the abandoned woman to some property was better than sheer abandonement; that is the only good thing out of that which Jesus mentions in Mt 19, Lev 23. No other law in the ancient near east comes close to that provision.

While Rabbi Shammai (of Jesus era) was usually conservative, he allowed divorce for some trivial reasons. Wives could leave taxidermists/tanners because of the lingering odor of their work. (That is what Jesus seems to be targeting). R. Hillel (the teacher of Gamaliel Acts 5:34) was usually innovative but strict about divorce.

Abuse and injury is its own reason for evasive action.

God's Truth

There seems to be 1.5 reasons to divorce: adultery and unbelief.
You are right, we can divorce if our spouse commits adultery. However, I do not see where you get that we can divorce if our spouse is an unbeliever.
The unbelief reason is given as though common sense, but not as something you are entitled to take advantage of. It is I Cor 7: how do you know, spouse, that they will believe?

It certainly doesn't sound like remarriage to divorcees is approved even if there was adultery; but to a never-married or widowed person was allowed, Lk 16.
It is as Jesus' disciples said, it is a hard teaching.
Divorce with a certificate that entitled the abandoned woman to some property was better than sheer abandonement; that is the only good thing out of that which Jesus mentions in Mt 19, Lev 23. No other law in the ancient near east comes close to that provision.

While Rabbi Shammai (of Jesus era) was usually conservative, he allowed divorce for some trivial reasons.
Why do you call him 'Rabbi'? We should be careful about calling someone rabbi, or father.
Wives could leave taxidermists/tanners because of the lingering odor of their work. (That is what Jesus seems to be targeting).
What do you think Jesus was targeting?
R. Hillel (the teacher of Gamaliel Acts 5:34) was usually innovative but strict about divorce.
I am wondering why you give thought to people who rejected Jesus?
Abuse and injury is its own reason for evasive action.

Definitely.

Interplanner

You are right, we can divorce if our spouse commits adultery. However, I do not see where you get that we can divorce if our spouse is an unbeliever.

It is as Jesus' disciples said, it is a hard teaching.

Why do you call him 'Rabbi'? We should be careful about calling someone rabbi, or father.

What do you think Jesus was targeting?

I am wondering why you give thought to people who rejected Jesus?

Definitely.

I don't know how to do several parts of a quote, but here goes with titles:

re the unbelieving spouse:
"If the unbeliever leaves, let him do so. A believing man or woman is not bound in such circumstances... How do you know, wife, whether you will save your husband?..." I Cor 7:15

re the rabbi title
I don't call him my rabbi. I was using it in the historical sense, just as if we were talking about a priest in the 3rd century of church history who was known as Father Democraticus, etc.

re targeting:
I said what I though he was targeting. Shammai allowed divorce for trivial reasons. He also taught that remarriage to divorcees was not adultery. Jesus was speaking back about both.

re people who rejected Jesus:
They rejected his claim to be Messiah; they may not have rejected every single teaching bit and piece. Hillel was strict about divorce. Hillel also used a 'golden rule' saying that was in negative form. "Do not do anything to a neighbor that you would not want done to yourself."