Why I do not fear the end time

iouae

1. God has commanded "fear not" and also Mat 6:34 Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
We are commanded not to worry or fear, just as we are commanded not to kill. We have to look for another, more appropriate response to the end time.

2. We do not know if this is the end time. Everyone saying it is the end time has been wrong, to date. It may be, we shall see.

3. If this is the end time, then what could one actually do about it to improve our situation, instead of sitting talking about it? Most folks who preach the end time take zero, nil, nada steps to improve their or others situations IF this is the end time. It's almost hypocrisy, or just a head belief.

4. IF this is the end time, then depending on whether one is a pre-tribulation, mid-trib, or post-trib rapture or no rapture believer, this should shape one's actions. I am a post-trib rapture believer, believing one will have to live through the first 5 seals, before the rapture comes. IF I really believed with all my heart this was the end time, I should become a doomsday prepper, bug out with a few year supply of stores, and disappear off the grid when Mr. 666 offers me his mark. That would be a faith appropriate response, instead of fear and worry.

5. What is the worst that can happen. AI or Mr. 666 takes over the world and tells me to bow down and worship his image or 666-bot. Then I can refuse, and hope the end comes quickly. Like the early Christians who were martyred, Christ made sure that they were not tempted above what they were able to bear.

6. I dislike prophecy because what can it actually do for your walk with God? Prophecy is there to warn the wicked, and maybe motivate Christ's servants to be about His business. But love and concern motivate perhaps better than hell and brimstone preaching. Folks live their whole lives watching the news for end time prophecy being fulfilled. When the end time really comes, I don't think I will not notice that it has arrived, if it is as bad as prophecy says it will be.

7. There are ministries who's "thing" is Bible prophecy. This is mostly what they talk about. I feel they should preach the Good News of the Gospel, which is Christ's Kingdom, not the Bad News of what happens before His kingdom.

8. For most of us today, the glass IS half full or 99% full. It's just so much more pleasant living like Pollyanna.

9. Christ devoted next to no time speaking about the end times while He was on earth. Did you know that his Matt 24, end-time prophecy was given days before He was crucified. For the rest of the four Gospels, Christ's focus was on folks souls being saved, not their skin being saved.

10. "Cowards die many times before their deaths; The valiant never taste of death but once" - Julius Caesar.

Last edited:

iouae

Is prophecy given to believers or unbelievers?

There is such a thing as deathbed repentance. With death fast approaching, I am sure this motivates some to get religious. Let's assume that is good. Likewise, if conditions become dire and everything is falling apart, this may motivate some to seek God.

A Christian is supposed to live in a daily state of repentance. "...And forgive us our trespasses as...". A Christian is not supposed to be watching world news to try to figure out when Christ will return, so that he can put on a last minute spurt to impress Jesus.

When one looks at prophecy, prophecy is given to righteous prophets, to deliver to backslidden or unconverted people. Jonah was sent to Nineveh to tell them that in 40 days God would destroy them. This illustrates the purpose of prophecy, to warn of the wrath of God to come. And God desires they change so that He does NOT have to punish anyone. Likewise, Jeremiah went to backslidden, basically unconverted Israel, telling them that Babylon was about to enslave them. The hope was that they would listen. But Israel would not listen, so they were punished. I can hardly think of an OT prophecy given to righteous folks, telling righteous folks to repent.

End time prophecy such as Matt 24, Revelation and the Books of Daniel, are given to believers and unbelievers telling them what will happen in the end times. Presumably atheists will not be reading these prophecies. Only when conditions become completely dire, will atheists even look at these prophecies.

The purpose of end time prophecy is to inform believers so that they are not caught by surprise by end time events. We are told to expect Mr. 666 to arise on the world scene and force all to worship him if they want to buy or sell.

Less well known is that before Mr. 666 arises, one quarter of the world's population will die.
Rev 6:8.
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the beasts of the earth.
The above comprises the 4th seal, and immediately following this comes Mr. 666 who is the 5th seal. Many Christians are expecting to be raptured from the trouble to come. They believe they will escape the prophesied end time evil.

The end time plagues serve as a wake up call to unbelievers to amend their wicked ways. God does not enjoy punishing the wicked. God only delights in their change of heart. Christians are already supposed to have changed their hearts.

The messages to the churches in Rev 3 clearly is given to Christians. For instance Laodicea represents Christians throughout the ages who have been sapped of their Christian mojo by materialism and wealth. It should not take end time events to wake us to this condition. Christianity should be in a constant mindset of repentance, changing daily to become more like Jesus.

Suppose a Prophet like Jonah or Jeremiah arrived in town telling folks to repent.
This is completely different to churches today which like to preach and speculate about end time prophecy. The former have authority. The latter are just interpreting Bible prophecy. I consider prophetic sermons to be of almost no value, possibly even harmful. Continual warning over decades that we are in the end time because "Look, there is an earthquake, there is rising AI..." these are just calls to worry or give money, not change. This preaching is not to get their congregants to change - they are pointing at the evil "out there". Forgive me for saying that I find this focus worthless to harmful. I have come out of churches like this.

I would far rather churches focus on what Jesus taught for three and a half years, which is the Gospel. We should want Christ, not want to save our skin through the end times. Churches can occasionally give a prophecy sermon on say Matt 24. The first century church survived 60 years before the Book of Revelation was written. Jesus gave thousands of sermons such as the sermon on the mount, and only one sermon on end time prophecy. Likewise Paul gave thousands of sermons, with virtually no focus on prophecy.

TrevorL

Greetings iouae ,
Is prophecy given to believers or unbelievers?
I would far rather churches focus on what Jesus taught for three and a half years, which is the Gospel. We should want Christ, not want to save our skin through the end times. Churches can occasionally give a prophecy sermon on say Matt 24. The first century church survived 60 years before the Book of Revelation was written. Jesus gave thousands of sermons such as the sermon on the mount, and only one sermon on end time prophecy. Likewise Paul gave thousands of sermons, with virtually no focus on prophecy.
I was interested in reading your two Posts. At first I was thinking of responding to each item of your first Post, but decided to let it slide. I disagree with some aspects of your Posts, especially some of the extreme views that you mention concerning the Book of Revelation. I certainly agree that we should focus on Jesus’ teaching. Part of this however was prophecy, and you mention Matthew 24 and if you parallel this with Luke 21, then it is evident that a major aspect of this was warning the disciples concerning AD70, and the need to forsake Jerusalem at the appropriate time. I believe that there is a healthy balance with all aspects of the Word of God, including prophecy. There are many OT prophecies that are yet to be fulfilled, and a healthy attitude is to quietly seek to understand some of these and rejoice in the evidence that God is in control and will soon send Jesus to establish his Kingdom upon this earth for the 1000 years.

Kind regards
Trevor

iouae

Greetings iouae , I was interested in reading your two Posts. At first I was thinking of responding to each item of your first Post, but decided to let it slide. I disagree with some aspects of your Posts, especially some of the extreme views that you mention concerning the Book of Revelation. I certainly agree that we should focus on Jesus’ teaching. Part of this however was prophecy, and you mention Matthew 24 and if you parallel this with Luke 21, then it is evident that a major aspect of this was warning the disciples concerning AD70, and the need to forsake Jerusalem at the appropriate time. I believe that there is a healthy balance with all aspects of the Word of God, including prophecy. There are many OT prophecies that are yet to be fulfilled, and a healthy attitude is to quietly seek to understand some of these and rejoice in the evidence that God is in control and will soon send Jesus to establish his Kingdom upon this earth for the 1000 years.

Kind regards
Trevor

Thanks for your response Trevor.

Prophecy is definitely part of the Bible, and God would be displeased if I just waved away part of His Book. And some claim that almost one fifth of the Book is prophecy. I suppose they add up the pages of the major and minor prophets and Revelation.

I like talking about prophecy and speculation over this or that news event as being a fulfilment of prophecy. It is an interesting hobby.

What I do not particularly like is when some folks put on their prophecy lens and see the world today through end time glasses. For instance, the Pope cannot do anything and they see some significance to it. Europe says it wants to get an army and they see that we are close to the end. And this person or that is Mr. 666 and this country or that is Babylon the Great, and this country or that represents the Lost tribes of Israel.

Then there is the endless trying to figure out the date for Christ's return, and then believing this, and the disappointment when it does not happen, and the lying afterwards about how Christ did actually return but we did not see it because now He is busy with the "Investigative Judgment" of his saints.... blah...blah...blah. It really is not healthy. When Christ fails to turn up, they either make up some story as to how He "actually did something" we cannot see, or they admit they made a calculation error, and go back to their calculators.

In the meantime they view the world through their pessimistic lenses. And they mislead folks every time they point to some news event as being end time, when they don't know if its the end time. If I lived in Europe in the 13th century in the middle of the Black Death where one quarter of the world died of bubonic plague, I would have believed it was the end time. But on top of that, I would have seen the great dying and not needed prophecy to know that I might be meeting my Maker pretty soon, and that it might be an idea to draw closer to Him. Point being, prophecy would have been of little help back then too. In those days the Bible was not available to the masses, and today we all can read prophecy and speculate.

You will probably pick up my ambivalence towards prophecy, even in this post. I like prophecy, and I dislike what it does to me and others. Christ told us to "Watch". For many, they think it means to watch evening news to see how bad this end time world really is. When actually it means to watch our own state of readiness for His return, our own oil levels to see if the red light for "empty" has come on.

TrevorL

Greetings again iouae,
You will probably pick up my ambivalence towards prophecy, even in this post. I like prophecy, and I dislike what it does to me and others. Christ told us to "Watch". For many, they think it means to watch evening news to see how bad this end time world really is. When actually it means to watch our own state of readiness for His return, our own oil levels to see if the red light for "empty" has come on.
In my environment I do not encounter some of the problems with prophecy that you describe as we have come to reasonable common ground, and as a result our discussions concerning prophecy have been both interesting and beneficial. Some of the difficulties that you express are evident on this and other forums. I try to be selective in what subjects I discuss, and often gain some benefit and encouragement.

Kind regards
Trevor

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
I don't fear the "end time" because I know the "end time" isn't going to happen in my lifetime. Or yours. The only "end time" any of us will experience is the death of our physical bodies. That, I am a bit concerned about.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
1. God has commanded "fear not" and also Mat 6:34 Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself.
'One of the wisest things that's ever been said, IMO.
3. If this is the end time, then what could one actually do about it to improve our situation, instead of sitting talking about it?
It's no different than normal times. Step one is believe the Gospel, and step two is to be in full communion with the Church. That's never going to change.
...when Mr. 666 offers me his mark.
That mark is "Nero Caesar" which was on his gold coins, which were on the right hand half the time of all those buying and selling, the mark on the right hands is on the gold, both the gold and the mark are 666, based on the scriptures linking 666 to gold.
5. What is the worst that can happen. AI or Mr. 666 takes over the world
Mr. 666 was Nero. His name Nero Caesar, when translated into Hebrew, and the values of the letters of his name Nero Caesar in Hebrew are counted up, or reckoned, is 666. When Nero Caesar in Greek is reckoned, it is 616, which has been found in many manuscripts of Revelation instead of 666.
the early Christians who were martyred
By Mr. 666, Nero Caesar. He covered some members of the church which is in Rome in tar, and had them tied to posts, and burned, for light, when it was night time, in Rome.

He did this in the lifetimes of both Paul and Peter, and perhaps even during their pastorship of that Church diocese, which is in Rome.

TrevorL

Greetings User Name,
I don't fear the "end time" because I know the "end time" isn't going to happen in my lifetime. Or yours. The only "end time" any of us will experience is the death of our physical bodies. That, I am a bit concerned about.
If you are very sick or 80 or 90 then this may be the case, but for some of us that have reasonable health or a bit younger, we believe Jesus could very well return soon, in our lifetime. Perhaps you have not considered some important prophecies such as Ezekiel 38 and Zechariah 14, and linking these with Isaiah 2:1-4, Micah 4:1-8, Daniel 2:35,44, 11:40-45, Acts 3:19-21 and many other prophecies.

Kind regards
Trevor

iouae

Greetings again iouae, In my environment I do not encounter some of the problems with prophecy that you describe as we have come to reasonable common ground, and as a result our discussions concerning prophecy have been both interesting and beneficial. Some of the difficulties that you express are evident on this and other forums. I try to be selective in what subjects I discuss, and often gain some benefit and encouragement.

Kind regards
Trevor

I like a good discussion on prophecy now and then. In fact a thread with a video on Daniel's 70 weeks prophecy got me doing some research on that today. I thought I knew the answer, but it had been so long that it bugged me that I had forgotten what the supposed solution was.

So long as I am not physically with folks who are fixated with end time prophecy, I also enjoy speaking about prophecy now and then, as I would any other subject of interest. I do not consider it healthy though for that to be the main focus of any church, and I know I would groan if I was stuck in church listening to sermon after sermon of prophecy. On a forum or TV I can pick and choose. Not so when one is stuck in church, and it might be impolite to pick up one's bags and walk out when the subject of the sermon is announced.

iouae

It's no different than normal times. Step one is believe the Gospel, and step two is to be in full communion with the Church. That's never going to change.
That mark is "Nero Caesar" which was on his gold coins, which were on the right hand half the time of all those buying and selling, the mark on the right hands is on the gold, both the gold and the mark are 666, based on the scriptures linking 666 to gold.
Mr. 666 was Nero. His name Nero Caesar, when translated into Hebrew, and the values of the letters of his name Nero Caesar in Hebrew are counted up, or reckoned, is 666. When Nero Caesar in Greek is reckoned, it is 616, which has been found in many manuscripts of Revelation instead of 666.
By Mr. 666, Nero Caesar. He covered some members of the church which is in Rome in tar, and had them tied to posts, and burned, for light, when it was night time, in Rome.

He did this in the lifetimes of both Paul and Peter, and perhaps even during their pastorship of that Church diocese, which is in Rome.

Nihilo, can you please elaborate for me the end time applications of what you are saying. Will there be an end time Mr. 666?

oatmeal

Great subject!

For Christians, that is, believers in this age of grace, we will have been gathered together unto him before the end times. See I Thessalonians 4:13-18, Romans 5:9, I Thessalonians 1:10

We will be judged at the "bema" the award stand for our good works, we have already judge justified and righteous.

Part of our reward will be what we will being doing to carry out God's will with our heavenly bodies to assist the lord Jesus Christ in his works in the end times

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned

Your interpretation of prophecy way off.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Nihilo, can you please elaborate for me the end time applications of what you are saying. Will there be an end time Mr. 666?
No, he's been and gone. Work outward from there to understand Revelation better.

iouae

Great subject!

For Christians, that is, believers in this age of grace, we will have been gathered together unto him before the end times. See I Thessalonians 4:13-18, Romans 5:9, I Thessalonians 1:10

We will be judged at the "bema" the award stand for our good works, we have already judge justified and righteous.

Part of our reward will be what we will being doing to carry out God's will with our heavenly bodies to assist the lord Jesus Christ in his works in the end times

Oatmeal
Do you feel there is anything to fear before "we will have been gathered together unto him"?

Zeke

1. God has commanded "fear not" and also Mat 6:34 Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
We are commanded not to worry or fear, just as we are commanded not to kill. We have to look for another, more appropriate response to the end time.

2. We do not know if this is the end time. Everyone saying it is the end time has been wrong, to date. It may be, we shall see.

3. If this is the end time, then what could one actually do about it to improve our situation, instead of sitting talking about it? Most folks who preach the end time take zero, nil, nada steps to improve their or others situations IF this is the end time. It's almost hypocrisy, or just a head belief.

4. IF this is the end time, then depending on whether one is a pre-tribulation, mid-trib, or post-trib rapture or no rapture believer, this should shape one's actions. I am a post-trib rapture believer, believing one will have to live through the first 5 seals, before the rapture comes. IF I really believed with all my heart this was the end time, I should become a doomsday prepper, bug out with a few year supply of stores, and disappear off the grid when Mr. 666 offers me his mark. That would be a faith appropriate response, instead of fear and worry.

5. What is the worst that can happen. AI or Mr. 666 takes over the world and tells me to bow down and worship his image or 666-bot. Then I can refuse, and hope the end comes quickly. Like the early Christians who were martyred, Christ made sure that they were not tempted above what they were able to bear.

6. I dislike prophecy because what can it actually do for your walk with God? Prophecy is there to warn the wicked, and maybe motivate Christ's servants to be about His business. But love and concern motivate perhaps better than hell and brimstone preaching. Folks live their whole lives watching the news for end time prophecy being fulfilled. When the end time really comes, I don't think I will not notice that it has arrived, if it is as bad as prophecy says it will be.

7. There are ministries who's "thing" is Bible prophecy. This is mostly what they talk about. I feel they should preach the Good News of the Gospel, which is Christ's Kingdom, not the Bad News of what happens before His kingdom.

8. For most of us today, the glass IS half full or 99% full. It's just so much more pleasant living like Pollyanna.

9. Christ devoted next to no time speaking about the end times while He was on earth. Did you know that his Matt 24, end-time prophecy was given days before He was crucified. For the rest of the four Gospels, Christ's focus was on folks souls being saved, not their skin being saved.

10. "Cowards die many times before their deaths; The valiant never taste of death but once" - Julius Caesar.

It's part of the journey of waking up, I use to be addicted to this stuff in the eighties, read every thing that was being wrote about the end times, plus the anti new age movement was part of the fear porn industry at that time, conspiracy being a related branch as well, its hard to shake but there is nothing new under the sun it's all vanity to worry about it, taking no thought is the cure to reclaiming ones life/kingdom from vanity that catches the eye of judgement.

TrevorL

Greetings again iouae
I like a good discussion on prophecy now and then. In fact a thread with a video on Daniel's 70 weeks prophecy got me doing some research on that today. I thought I knew the answer, but it had been so long that it bugged me that I had forgotten what the supposed solution was.
I differ from what I suspect you are saying in that thread as I believe in the continuous historic view of prophecy based on Daniel 2. Taking two examples, I believe that the 2300 days is symbolic of the 2300 years from BC333-334 to 1967. I also believe that the seals describe the events from AD96-312, that is, the decline and then the replacement of the Pagan Roman Empire by a nominally Christian Roman Empire.
So long as I am not physically with folks who are fixated with end time prophecy, I also enjoy speaking about prophecy now and then, as I would any other subject of interest. I do not consider it healthy though for that to be the main focus of any church, and I know I would groan if I was stuck in church listening to sermon after sermon of prophecy. On a forum or TV I can pick and choose. Not so when one is stuck in church, and it might be impolite to pick up one's bags and walk out when the subject of the sermon is announced.
Our Sunday talk is mainly for edification and encouragement, and focus on the example of our Lord Jesus Christ, before partaking of the bread and wine. Our Bible Classes have a range of subjects, and we are a lay movement, and we have a number of local and visiting speakers. The normal practice is to consider a book of the Bible, and each speaker has 3-4 nights. The most recent was on Zechariah and 1 Peter, and soon will be on Isaiah and Hebrews. These latter two have been ongoing for a number of years, and we are up to Hebrews 10 and Isaiah 40. We usually have questions and comments during the address, and a discussion for 10 minutes at the end, and sometimes a hearty discussion after the conclusion of the meeting. I am responsible for mp3 recordings and distribute the talks and slides to those interested and a few that are unable to attend. I have the benefit of listening again at a slower pace and making more thorough notes.

Kind regards
Trevor

iouae

Greetings again iouae I differ from what I suspect you are saying in that thread as I believe in the continuous historic view of prophecy based on Daniel 2. Taking two examples, I believe that the 2300 days is symbolic of the 2300 years from BC333-334 to 1967. I also believe that the seals describe the events from AD96-312, that is, the decline and then the replacement of the Pagan Roman Empire by a nominally Christian Roman Empire.Our Sunday talk is mainly for edification and encouragement, and focus on the example of our Lord Jesus Christ, before partaking of the bread and wine. Our Bible Classes have a range of subjects, and we are a lay movement, and we have a number of local and visiting speakers. The normal practice is to consider a book of the Bible, and each speaker has 3-4 nights. The most recent was on Zechariah and 1 Peter, and soon will be on Isaiah and Hebrews. These latter two have been ongoing for a number of years, and we are up to Hebrews 10 and Isaiah 40. We usually have questions and comments during the address, and a discussion for 10 minutes at the end, and sometimes a hearty discussion after the conclusion of the meeting. I am responsible for mp3 recordings and distribute the talks and slides to those interested and a few that are unable to attend. I have the benefit of listening again at a slower pace and making more thorough notes.

Kind regards
Trevor

I see where you are coming from with a historic view of prophecy.
As you noted, I believe every word of Revelation is still future, with the exception that the advice to the 7 churches is applicable to all ages. Likewise I see much of Dan 7, 8 12 to be future.

I really like the sound of your church and Bible classes setup and the fact that you do a bit of OT with some NT at Bible classes. And the focus at church services sounds good too.

TrevorL

Greetings again iouae,
I see where you are coming from with a historic view of prophecy.
As you noted, I believe every word of Revelation is still future, with the exception that the advice to the 7 churches is applicable to all ages. Likewise I see much of Dan 7, 8 12 to be future.
That would then represent that all these events depicted in Revelation are crammed into a few years and only of benefit to a few of the faithful. I suggest that a gradual unfolding, as depicted by releasing one seal at a time, would benefit the faithful in their particular era. The basic understanding that I hold on the Book of Revelation has been developed by many over many years. I have a list of many expositors that have held AD96-312 for the seals, and this list contains expositors from the 4th century, through the middle ages, then the reformation till the present time. Similarly with other aspects. Possibly the futurist ideas are only recent and very speculative. Yes Daniel 7,8 and 12 have some things yet to be fulfilled, but I hope the basic ideas presented there are not ignored for some fanciful interpretation.
I really like the sound of your church and Bible classes setup and the fact that you do a bit of OT with some NT at Bible classes. And the focus at church services sounds good too.
The emphasis at the Bible Classes is to try to understand what the particular verse and chapter actually says. It also allows other participants to prepare beforehand the chapter, and this makes it easier to understand the speaker. Isaiah and Daniel have been my long term favourites.

Kind regards
Trevor

iouae

Greetings again iouae, That would then represent that all these events depicted in Revelation are crammed into a few years and only of benefit to a few of the faithful. I suggest that a gradual unfolding, as depicted by releasing one seal at a time, would benefit the faithful in their particular era. The basic understanding that I hold on the Book of Revelation has been developed by many over many years. I have a list of many expositors that have held AD96-312 for the seals, and this list contains expositors from the 4th century, through the middle ages, then the reformation till the present time. Similarly with other aspects. Possibly the futurist ideas are only recent and very speculative. Yes Daniel 7,8 and 12 have some things yet to be fulfilled, but I hope the basic ideas presented there are not ignored for some fanciful interpretation.The emphasis at the Bible Classes is to try to understand what the particular verse and chapter actually says. It also allows other participants to prepare beforehand the chapter, and this makes it easier to understand the speaker. Isaiah and Daniel have been my long term favourites.

Kind regards
Trevor

Rev 1:10
I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day,

That is why I see everything John describes as happening on the "Day of the Lord" or "Lord's day". Lord's day refers to when Christ takes up His power as Lord. This is future. For now Christ sits at the right hand of God, just waiting.

I personally dislike the historical approach to Revelation because it relies on so many outside sources, historical sources, non biblical sources, to make connections. It is like saying we need knowledge of Hebrew or Greek customs to understand the parable of the foolish virgins. I personally dislike anything which demands an external, secular source to interpret the Bible.

Also, I understand the Book of Revelation perfectly to my satisfaction with every single event being future.

For instance, the 10 horns of the beast are sometimes interpreted as 10 historical kings like Napoleon etc. I see them as 10 future kings, two of which will fall or be deposed before Mr. 666 sometime in the future. Thus, being fully satisfied that I can explain all of Revelation by events in the future, or with the help of Daniel and no outside, secular source, I feel no need to change this perspective.

The topic on Daniel got me reading it again yesterday. If I am not on a forum, I can go months, years without reading books of the Bible. Song of songs - I have not looked at it for so many decades - its probably my least favourite book of the Bible.